Issue #488 - September 20, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest  Saturday, September 20 1997  Volume 01 : Number 488

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to armchair-owner@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I will try
to help you.

WHEN REPLYING: Please change the subject of your reply to something
pertinent to the message. Don't leave it as "Magical Armchair Digest,
V1 #xxx" unless your mail client won't allow you to change it.

ANNOYING POSTS:
   Yes, unfortunately, once in a while someone will get subscribed to
the list and post something intended to annoy all of us.  When that
happens, please just ignore it and let the moderator handle it behind the
scenes. Usually the instigator is lonely and looking for a little
attention. You can write to the person directly, but please keep it off
the list.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    michigan show
    NJ/NY and bff
    [none]
    Hanson vs. the Eighties
    Bootleg deal?
    Re: why the armchair is getting a little dreary...
    tickets for alabama
    BF5 shirt...Shows, etc.
    Everyone Interested in Brick read this!
    Just ramblings (ignorable)
    Martin Place gig
    Washington DC date??
    Ypsi show
    Re:  adam's "awww,poor babies" post
    Birmingham Date
    One Angry Fairly Tall Person
    Re: US BFF Dates

Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 20:37:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: FHudetz@aol.com
Subject: michigan show

Could somebody please tell me how to get tickets to the Eastern Michigan
show/

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 21:20:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jessica237@aol.com
Subject: NJ/NY and bff

hey chicas and chicos! this is some crazy shite going on here...i flipped out
beyond belief the other night when i heard that there were some new tour
dates, but i was crushed beyond belief also when i saw that they weren't even
stopping by the NY/NJ tristate area. how could they not?? maybe they just
didn't announce those dates yet...i'm trying to think of ways to convince my
parents to let me go see them in philly, but i live in nj, so it may be kind
of hard! ohmigod--and here is the biggest problem of all--let's just say that
my theory is right and they just didn't announce the nj/ny dates yet...well,
they have to come around here before november 13 because that is the date my
parents thought it would be cool if i joined the family to go to disney
world. and it's cool to go to disney, but not cool when ben folds five will
be around here!! i saw them twice this year and i'd love to see them another
time. it would top off my senior year!! i need to see them again!! thanks for
reading along with my rambling...                           --jess

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 20:02:23 PDT
From: "Ari Tokar" <att3441@hotmail.com>
Subject: [none]

auth cb12a4bc subscribe armchair att3441@hotmail.com

Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 22:43:20 -0500 (EST)
From: "matthew.a.moberly.1" <mmoberly@purdue.edu>
Subject: Hanson vs. the Eighties

This is NOT going to be a long post about Hanson, but it's a little more
food for thought. Of course there is nothing legitimate about Hanson to
make them admirable, but you can't tell me you never once tapped your foot
to "Lump" by the Presidents of the USA... The eighties was chock full of
music worse than Hanson (She Blinded Me With Science, need I go on?), but
musicians still got rich. In a world where Da Da Da can reach the charts,
I commend Hanson for realizing that cute will make money.

Matt

"I've found that people will watch anything, as long as it's dumb."
- -- Beavis

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 22:49:26 -0500 (EST)
From: "matthew.a.moberly.1" <mmoberly@purdue.edu>
Subject: Bootleg deal?

I've got a tape of Ben playing BOWCCL on Conan and OAD on Jenny McCarthy.
I will send this absolutely FREE to anyone who can give me a decent
sounding bootleg of a full-length concert (over an hour). As of yet I have
absolutely no bootlegs (getting in with nothing to trade is a b*tch), so
I'm making this deal as sweet as possible. I'll buy the vhs tape and pay
the postage to get this tape of two TV performances to anyone who will
hook me up with a worthy bootleg. Please reply to me personally if
interested.

Matt
mmoberly@expert.cc.purdue.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 00:21:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: Steve Clay <fender@grove.ufl.edu>
Subject: Re: why the armchair is getting a little dreary...

Dear Hanson Respector,
	I appreciate your passion for standing up for artists such as
Hanson, but unfortunately your argument is a bit displaced, this being the
Ben Folds Five mailing list.  To support your argument I will say that it
is very lazy for people to talk badly of Hanson or any other
super-successful group that they feel the general population of the list
probably won't like.  Primary other example is the Spice Girls, of course.
These people should realize that there is PLENTY of hate to go around! :)
And I don't mean to say that these two groups are inherently bad or
whatever.  I agree that pop music needs not always to have thoughtful,
intelligent, etc, lyrics to be powerful.  Getting into an argument about
what pop music is is just a big waste of time.  What may bother people the
most is when they're reading a Ben Folds Five digest and are forced to
hear all about something fairly unrelated.
	My personal views:  Hanson strikes me mostly as a sort of Jackson
5 of the nineties.  The Spice Girls...I don't know.  What I dislike about
both artists is mostly the types of production.  Set two microphones up in
a garage and just let Hanson play...I probably wouldn't have all that much
problem with it.  Spice Girls...deeper problems: lame raps in the middle
of songs, that '90s dance sound, etc... Okay enough!!!!

I WILL BE AT THE STATE THEATRE SHOW IN ST PETE!
If you want to meet up or something, drop me a line.

Steve
fender@grove.ufl.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 23:58:17 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Adam 'DeLicious' DeLisse" <adeliss@comp.uark.edu>
Subject: tickets for alabama

does anyone in birmingham know how a lowly person in arkansas can get a
couple of tickets to the oak mountain amphitheater show on oct. 25?  i
couldn't find that concert at ticketmaster online, so if there is a number
i need to call or something, that would be great.

thanks

Adam DeLisse
					.
				       / \
				      / V \
				     /     \
				    / V V V \
				   /   V V   \
				  / V   V   V \
				 /             \
				/ V V V V V V V \
			       /   V V V V V V   \
			      / V   V V V V V   V \
			     /       V V V V       \
			    / V V V   V V V   V V V \
			   /   V V     V V     V V   \
			  / V   V   V   V   V   V   V \
			 /____________________________ \

   ...............and people say there is no beauty in math..............

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 01:50:09 EDT
From: sandishortcake@juno.com
Subject: BF5 shirt...Shows, etc.

Just thought I'd let you all know, I saw a girl with a BF5 shirt on while
on campus today.  I stopped her and ran up to her and did a dorky little
thumbs up thing that only I can do in that really geeky sort of way and
said loudly, "BEN FOLDS FIVE!".  She totally "got it" and seemed
thrilled, rather than the usual reaction I get, which is frightened.
Anyway, turns out she didn't know about the nearby (within 30 minutes)
show in Cleveland on Halloween and said that I made her day by stopping
her because she doesn't know anyone at school yet.

Ahhh, I'm rambling.  I just thought I'd let everyone know that  of my
little  "AH!  BEN FOLDS FIVE SHIRT!" thing actually ended up making
someone's day instead of totally freaking them out.

Also, anyone going to the Cleveland, Ypsilanti, Pittsburgh, or Philly
shows?  If so, feel free to e-mail me so we can all try to meet up
somewhere before the show or something.  Anyone living in any cities that
I have to pass through to get to the above mentioned shows (I live in
Kent, Ohio...just south of Cleveland), e-mail me and I'll pick you up on
my way.

- -Sandi

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 16:26:52 +1000
From: "BECK" <beckwk@pnc.com.au>
Subject: Everyone Interested in Brick read this!

I was purusing my favourite gig guide, Metro in the Sydney Morning Herald
(Australia's only reputable newspaper no thanks to Rupert Bloody Murdoch)
and I came across the an article that had a BFF interview. In this
interview it talked about influences on Bens writing, etc.
In the dying stages of the interview the topic of brick came up, this is
what was said:

		While there are plenty of female singer/songwriters
		telling us how they're a bitch, a lover, tortured by this
		or that, not many actually write about something as
		direct as abortion and Folds took some time to find
		the right way to express it himself.

		"I wanted to have a very dry approach to it, which is a
		very male way, but then again you see a lot of guys
		singing 'I'm down on my knees, baby baby please',
		thinking that's what girls want to hear but you know
		you'll never see any of them down on their knees
		crying for anything."

I think that it is pretty self evident that brick is in fact about
abortion. I hope that ends the discussion on a some what stale topic.

Matt Beck

" I really can't believe how luck I really am! "

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 03:23:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: GenLand18@aol.com
Subject: Just ramblings (ignorable)

First off, a lot of people were posting that this one guy,
raymond@midwest.net, should remember to not hit "forward" when replying.  If
you looked carefully, all he's been doing for the past few weeks is
forwarding back the digests to us like a FRIGGEN idiot.  *ahem*  Sorry.  I
hope and pray to God someone will kick and ban him from this list, because
it's getting annoying.  I'm sure he's getting his kicks, though.

No word on West Coast BFF dates... *sigh*  Still hoping and praying.

Since I also want to be like everyone else and piss everyone else off with
the list of CDs that I like, but no one else could care less about, this is
what is in my CD wallet:

Devo -- Greatest Hits
Devo -- Greatest Misses
Geraldine Fibbers -- Butch
Kara's Flowers -- The Fourth World
Moloko -- Do You Like My Tight Sweater?
Nerf Herder -- S/T
Radiohead -- OK Computer
Save Ferris -- It Means Everything
Squirrel Nut Zippers -- Sold Out
The Sugarplastic -- Radio Jejune
They Might Be Giants -- Then:  The Early Years (Disc One)
They Might Be Giants -- Then:  The Early Years (Disc Two)

**Leslie** (the Librarian)

"Standing by the punchbowl I had some time to think.  The lipstick on your
collar was red, but you were wearing baby pink..." -- Nerf Herder, "Lipstick
on Your Collar"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 18:30:06 +1000
From: Rainy City <ad@healey.com.au>
Subject: Martin Place gig

>I read in the Drum Media that Ben Folds Five were doing a special lunch

>time performance at Martin Place in the city at 1pm on Tuesday 23rd of

>September. I'm not sure if you have to have tickets or anything though.

>Does anyone have any more information about this? I'm definitely going

>so see ya's there!

   Nah, Martin Place is a mall type thing!!!  You just rock up and look and listen.  Heaps of bands play there and all the business type people eat their lunch and stuff.  :)

   I think I've decided what to wear now.  It'll either be a Dave Matthews Band long sleeve or whitlams short sleeve t.  :)

   Come and say hello and stuff!!!  :)

BYE!!!

Ad.

PS  They're gunna be on the ladies lounge afterwards.  LISTEN UP!!!

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

&                    Ironside                     &

&      <italic>"...the 17th best band in the world"       </italic>&

& http://www.healey.com.au/HomePages/ad/ironside/ &

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 97 08:00:59 CDT
From: amit_saha@VNET.IBM.COM
Subject: Washington DC date??

Tina said:

>Hi guys, it's been awhile since I've posted. Anyway, I was wondering if
>anyone knew when BF5 is coming to the Washington DC metro area. I am
>getting really frustrated, because I am from Michigan, and they already

I don't have any inside info or anything but notice the large gap in the
scheduled tour dates around the Philly and Pitts shows...I'd guess that
something will get booked in at the 9:30 Club that week.

Keep in mind that Philly isn't that far away...about 2.5 hours...I'll be
trekking to the show. Electric Factory is a small and somewhat grungier
version of the 9:30 Club with a strange alcohol policy (segregated bar
that has a crappy view).

OK...back to lurk mode...Amit.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 97 07:57:52 CDT
From: amit_saha@VNET.IBM.COM
Subject: Ypsi show

Eric said:

>šOkay, I know at least one person lives in the wonderous Arbor of
>Ann, so I was wondering who plans on being at the show at Eastern

My gf and I will be coming up from A2 for the Ypsi show...and on that
note...does anyone know anything about the venue BFF is playing in
at Eastern Mich??? How are tickets being sold? Thx for any ticket or
venue information that anyone can pass along...

Amit.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 09:17:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: Scoota97@aol.com
Subject: Re:  adam's "awww,poor babies" post

> my sorry ass goes to school in ARKANSAS.  we got a big name
concert coming up this weekend at the local arena, and it's TIM MCGRAW!!
whoopee. <

whell, I reckon thats a what ya get fer goin ta school in ahr-can-sass
YEEEEEEHAAAAAAWW!! (whip cracking) round up the youngins....it's heehaw
time!!

but, seriously......you have shed new light on the subject of the BFF
concerts..I am a resident of the "Boston" area  (yes, a New England
"crybaby"!!!!!!!!) and while it seems logical that BFF wouldn't exclude major
regions of the country, (NE and West Coast) they have =-(.
	So,what are our options fellow New Englanders??

	1) whine and moan about how awful it is for BFF to not hit NE (apparently,
the 	    west coast has it a bit worse...not that it matters or anything who
has it 	  	    worse, and I certainly don't want a huge argument on this so
let's all 	  	    	    agree that yes (boo hoo) it's not the best of
situations (whine whine)

	2) go to the closest venue (NY)......I am up for it if anyone else is thinkin
g 	  	    about it (thanks for the responses to the caravan idea from a
couple issues 	    ago, I'll get back to you when we have more info)

	3) Hit every show in a 12  hour radius!!  I like this idea the best but
 	 	    unfortunately, not everyone has schedules that allow them to drop
	    everything and run off for a couple days....(boo hoo)

	4) flame adam!!   WHOOOPS..sorry, don't know how that one got in the list?!

			DARN ANGRY DWARVES!!

	So there we have it...any other suggestions??

Oh, and to Mr "stop being a crybaby,take what you can get, etc. etc"....
the post was a bit harsh..but that's alright, everyone is entitled to
complain every once in a while.....and the way I figure it is that the
country music must be warping your patience level!! stay strong my armchair
brother and remember this sage advice.....

"...friends don't let friends listen to country music..."

(btw..option 4 was a JOKE..don't REALLY flame adam....maybe just toast him
around the edges..........KIDDING, KIDDING!!)

see YA'LL LAY-TER....YEEEEEHAWWW (whip cracks)

~Scott

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 97 13:28:58 UT
From: "Ken Sibley/ Derek Waltchack" <Eyster1@classic.msn.com>
Subject: Birmingham Date

They announced three days ago that the boys will be playing in Birmingham,
Alabama on October 24. I almost lost my voice screaming in excitement.  I'm
Curious,  any other fans from B'ham out there?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 10:22:55 -0400
From: vanvalnc@is2.nyu.edu (Chris Van Valen)
Subject: One Angry Fairly Tall Person

Hi all

Here's a sampling of BFF CD singles:

1)      1. Kate
        2. Bad Idea(Demo)
        3. For All The Pretty People

2)      1. One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces
        2. Bad Idea(Demo)
        3. For All The Pretty People

3)      1. Song For The Dumped
        2. Bad Idea(Demo)

I mean, whats the big idea(no pun intended)? Couldn't they have included
other tracks, or even live cuts, etc.? Do we really need three copies of
Bad Idea? It's a real rip-off for collectors, IMO.

Yours very pissed,
CV

If you have an unpleasant nature and dislike people
this is no obstacle to work. -- J.G. Bennett

Catch "Forever Knight" on the Sci-Fi Channel every
Mon-Thurs at 9PM and 1AM EDT. -- Lucien LaCroix

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 12:40:40 -0400
From: santonan@student.umass.edu
Subject: Re: US BFF Dates

Well, it was with great sorrow that I read the listing of their future
tour dates in the US..I was crushed that there was nothing in NE. I'm
actually considering going to the show in Ithaca, just because that one's
the closest one to me..but, I must agree with the person who wrote the
post about a central location in NE, namely that of UMass/Amherst..I mean,
that would be a terrific place to have a show, and I'm not just saying
that cuz I go here either. :) Umm...if anyone else from the Amherst area
is considering going, let me know, cuz I don't wanna drive to Ithaca by
myself, and I'm not sure I could get any of my friends to go with me.

Sarah :)