Issue #490 - September 21, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest   Sunday, September 21 1997   Volume 01 : Number 490

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to armchair-owner@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I will try
to help you.

WHEN REPLYING: Please change the subject of your reply to something
pertinent to the message. Don't leave it as "Magical Armchair Digest,
V1 #xxx" unless your mail client won't allow you to change it.

ANNOYING POSTS:
   Yes, unfortunately, once in a while someone will get subscribed to
the list and post something intended to annoy all of us.  When that
happens, please just ignore it and let the moderator handle it behind the
scenes. Usually the instigator is lonely and looking for a little
attention. You can write to the person directly, but please keep it off
the list.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    M's Selfless Episode
    Hanson defenses?
    Barry Black and Ben
    Three singles. . .
    no new england.... =(
    BFF on radio
    I've got my ticket...
    Steven's Last Night as a single
    back issues \ nashville show
    Dissing the 80's??
    Re: Eastern Tour Dates and There Lack Of
    a bside

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 18:15:08 -0700
From: "Kamp, Marcus S" <Marcus.Kamp@PSS.Boeing.com>
Subject: M's Selfless Episode

Yes, m, I've definitely had those types of episodes.  Any number of
BFF's songs have gotten me through/over my divorce last year, any number
of times!  Thank God (+ Ben) there's a band like this to relate to!  Why
do you think we're all so obsessed, anyway:-)?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 18:32:46 -0700
From: "Kamp, Marcus S" <Marcus.Kamp@PSS.Boeing.com>
Subject: Hanson defenses?

To all the great Hanson defenders out there (+ then I'll stop, I
promise:-)),
If you were right, I'd agree with you.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 22:52:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: Super8@aol.com
Subject: Barry Black and Ben

Hi,
Anyone heard the Barry Black record on which Ben plays drums and piano?  It
came up while searching for BFF singles at cdnow.  Sounded pretty good, but
I'd like someones learned opinion (or two) before I plop down the cabbage.
Thanks,
Worth
www.heardiagonally.com/moviegoers

cd changer (i know)
- -king kong (compilation of early '70s rock steady)
- -gladhands - la di da
- -van morrison - veedon fleece
- -the wrens - secaucus
- -beach boys - pet sounds sessions (stereo boot)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 20:32:53 PDT
From: "One Angry.Dwarf" <one_angry_dwarf@hotmail.com>
Subject: Three singles. . .

1)      1. Kate
        2. Bad Idea(Demo)
        3. For All The Pretty People

2)      1. One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces
        2. Bad Idea(Demo)
        3. For All The Pretty People

3)      1. Song For The Dumped
        2. Bad Idea(Demo)

I mean, whats the big idea(no pun intended)? Couldn't they have included
other tracks, or even live cuts, etc.? Do we really need three copies of
Bad Idea? It's a real rip-off for collectors, IMO.

Well, single #1 was only readily available in the UK, single #2,
Australia and single #3 in Japan.  The singles were all released at the
same time, therefore the same B-sides.  Now if all three were released
in the SAME country with the same B-sides, that would be cheating!

And, the Austrlian "Uncle Walter" single has the same B-sides as the UK
"Where's Summer B" single.

Russell

"You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are
what you pretend to be." --Kurt Vonnegut, "Mother Night"

Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 00:00:46 -0400
From: rqmcclus@bu.edu (Ryan McCluskey)
Subject: no new england.... =(

fellow new  englanders,

i'll throw in my woes as well...  I love Boston with all my heart during
the school year...but why couldn't Ben and the boys come here? i was
COMPLETELY looking forward to seeing them here!

however i guess i was lucky enough to see them in Pittsburgh in June...
what an amazing show.  i was right in front of Darren jumping and singing
and dancing and having the best time of my life!!!!!

oh well....maybe they'll swing around here sometime.... and you
clevelanders i'm SO JEALOUS that you get a Halloween show!!! if only i was
home........

Ryan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 21:36:55 PDT
From: "Danielle Griffin" <chewoki@hotmail.com>
Subject: BFF on radio

All Austalians who don't already know, Ben Folds Five are going to be on
the Lady's Lounge (3 - 6pm) on Triple J on Tuesday.  Let's just hope
that Helen Razor will ask better questions than Tunnie.  That's all I
had to say.  Cya!

Danielle

Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 09:16:03 +0100
From: paulmay@bigfoot.com (Paul May)
Subject: I've got my ticket...

Hey Everybody

I just bought a ticket for the gig in Dublin in December. Tickets are on
sale really early for some reason. I managed to get the Second ticket issued
in the entire country, that pretty much shows you how well known BFF are
over here. I think it's me and about two other people...anyway It should be
a great gig. I'm still trying to get a guest/photo pass for the show so my
camera doesn't get confiscated (that's happened b4 at another band's
gig...not BFF), and also so I can bring my brother along.

 Well thats about it. Now of course the mandatory plug for the people on the
Armchair page. If you want to join this select bunch of online fans, e-mail
me the answers to these questions "Name, Age, From, Occupation, First Heard
BFF, On the Armchair since, Fav BFF Self Titled Song, Fav BFF S/T Line, Fav
WaEA Song and Line" ( as well as anything else you want to say about the
band) to me with a photo if you've got a scanned one. If anyone wants to
snail-mail me a picture I'll scan it for them and send it back ( just drop
me a line for my address ) The Armchair page and my BFF page's URL is
http://www.iol.ie/~may

Thanks Everyone

Paul May

______________________________
Visit the People on the Armchair page:
http://www.iol.ie/~may
______________________________

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 08:08:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Fagan <john17cd@bc.seflin.org>
Subject: Steven's Last Night as a single

I always felt that Steven's Last Night in Town is the best choice as a
single.  It is the perfect pop song.  I never get tired of listening to it.
I have played this song almost every day for the last 6 months.

I am going to the BFF show in West Palm Beach, FL...Finally Ben is coming
to Florida!!

"I walk on down the hill and maybe buy a beer" - BFF

John
john17cd@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 09:30:27 -0500
From: "Toasto" <69@poe.org>
Subject: back issues \ nashville show

in my infinite wisdom, i screwed up my little computer, requiring me to
reformatt the whole thing... and i forgot to save some of my magical
armchair issues.. the one that i need is #485.. if somebody has it and they
could send it to me.. i would be forever greatful...

while i'm posting.. ben is going to be in nashville, tn on Oct. 27... and i
was just curious as to who would be there from the armchair....

- -neil

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 10:38:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: LindaNikon@aol.com
Subject: Dissing the 80's??

<< This is NOT going to be a long post about Hanson, but it's a little more
 food for thought. Of course there is nothing legitimate about Hanson to
 make them admirable, but you can't tell me you never once tapped your foot
 to "Lump" by the Presidents of the USA... The eighties was chock full of
 music worse than Hanson (She Blinded Me With Science, need I go on?), but
 musicians still got rich. In a world where Da Da Da can reach the charts,
 I commend Hanson for realizing that cute will make money. >>

To quote Simon le Bon, "Don't go there boy." Let us just remember that Ben
said that "Vacation" by the Go-Gos was one of his favorite albums.

Hanson makes me physically ill, but seeing as I recalling being 4th row in
front of John Taylor in 1984 screaming loud and long enough to give me
laryngitis (sp?) for 4 days, I can't really say very much.

Don't make me start rattling off very famous rock stars who quote 80's acts
as influences. It would be a very long post. LOL

; )

Linda
"Hell hath no fury like a young girl's ego!"

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 17:04:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: JoanneQ@aol.com
Subject: Re: Eastern Tour Dates and There Lack Of

There's nothing scheduled in New England....YET.

The schedule said there's more dates to come, and obviously major eastern
metros like Boston (& DC) won't be ignored.

So don't panic until there's something to panic about. Thankyouveddymuch.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 19:24:19 -0400
From: jaedonely@juno.com (A A DONELY)
Subject: a bside

*Dying to go the benfoldsfive at the closest to boston venue!!! Would
maybe caravan!
I was at newbury street, blowing my check
And i found bowccl cd single with "for thoseof y'all who wear fannie
packs"
i come home and quietly play it.
my moms in the other room, and when she hears ftoywwfp and its occasional
"mofos"she starts yelling and screaming at me about the horrible music
that i listen to and how its probably poisioning my subconscious and does
she have to start censoring what i listen to??
she didnt even know that it was ben folds five!
everytime she hears them shes like, oh, i like them!
Funny!
~Elisabeth
????Whats up with the tape chain? I mailed my tape-haven't got one
yet....needing good music...????