Issue #500 - September 29, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest   Monday, September 29 1997   Volume 01 : Number 500

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to armchair-owner@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I will try
to help you.

WHEN REPLYING: Please change the subject of your reply to something
pertinent to the message. Don't leave it as "Magical Armchair Digest,
V1 #xxx" unless your mail client won't allow you to change it.

ANNOYING POSTS:
   Yes, unfortunately, once in a while someone will get subscribed to
the list and post something intended to annoy all of us.  When that
happens, please just ignore it and let the moderator handle it behind the
scenes. Usually the instigator is lonely and looking for a little
attention. You can write to the person directly, but please keep it off
the list.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Recovery show
    Keep the great live reviews coming!
    Yipsilanti, MI show?
    Yeah!! 500
    counting crows and bff
    dammit to hell
    My tapelist-------------->>>>>
    Kerri-anne/Midday BF5 controversy
    1 extremely happy rather tall Adelaidean
    Earplugs
    BIRMINGHAM,AL SHOW
    WOW !!!!!
    nashville and bloomington
    Atlanta & Charolette

Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 09:03:00 +0800 (WST)
From: Jodie Poole <jpoole@tartarus.uwa.edu.au>
Subject: Recovery show

Well, someone asked for some info on what went on on the Recovery show
yesterday, so I thought I'd briefly fill everyone in.  The boys played
Angry Dwarf (this time with no piano stool throwing!) and then
Underground.  Then Dylan (the host) talked to Ben Robert and Darren for a
while.  The best part was when Dylan asked Ben why he uses a piano
instead of a guitar and they basically answered that a piano's better coz
its bigger. Then a whole discussion resulted on whether or not size does
matter - it was really funny!
oh, and apparently the chat line that they'd set up to talk to the guys
wasn't working, so I don't think anyone missed out on anything.
Catcha!
Jodie
no more days - its tonight!!

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 21:28:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: Steve Clay <fender@grove.ufl.edu>
Subject: Keep the great live reviews coming!

Hey everybody!
	Thanks a bunch for those nice gig reviews I read today, especially
Janelle's extra-lengthy one.  It's great to read about what the guys are
doing at shows these days as I wait eagerly for October 23rd to roll
around.  Sorry, no real information, but it seemed like there had been a
big dip in these types of posts.  More, more, more!

Steve

PS. Look who's talking...I never even posted a review after *I* saw them.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 22:03:08 -0400
From: cambot@juno.com (Steve! Seck)
Subject: Yipsilanti, MI show?

Hola. I am a newbie to Ben Folds Five, even though I have had both their
albums for quite some time. Well, I saw that they're going to play at
Eastern Michigan College on November 1, but I can't find tickets for it
anywhere! I need to see them in concert because, well, because I want to.
If anyone has any info on it, send it my way.

Steve!

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 22:52:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: BlueJellow@aol.com
Subject: Yeah!! 500

Dear Fivers,

Well, It's not fair that I can't even get into a  Ben Fold's Five concert let
alone drive 300 miles to one.  I can't believe the crowd was so small that
anyone could go up and MEET them.  I LOVE BEN. His voice is so awesome.  I
love all the songs on both albums excepting Best Imitation of myself.  My
absolute fave is Philosophy, then Underground, and then Song for the
dumped/OAD&200SF.  I would kill to meet them.  NOOOOOOOO.  Someone in the
jackson ms. area MUST want to carpool a bunch of people to see them one
day!!!  I LOVE BEN!!!  Does it depend on how old you are to get into where
they are playing? I"m 14. HELP me.  I know if they are playing at a small
club of course I can't get in.  But if they aren't.......then TAKE ME.  I'll
sing all of the songs in the car by heart and on a dare stick my ass out of
the window!!!  I missed the today show because no one told me they were on
it.

Well, please write back on this, and happy 500 digests  (maybe the 501)
Lucy

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 23:12:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: SteveJG22@aol.com
Subject: counting crows and bff

<<
 So, in other words.. there are other bf5 fans that dig the CC.  :) >>
I AM definately one of them,  the thing that connects to the two bands is the
personal displays of emotion that the two bands incorporate into their music.
Both Ben and adam seem really into things when they sing.
steve

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 23:54:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: Calmdown20@aol.com
Subject: dammit to hell

Well, after reading about how great everybody's concert was, I have to sit
here and realize that when the group comes to West Palm Beach, I will be in
at USMC boot camp in Parris Island.  I am so dissapointed you just dont know.
 They are the only band that I want to see right now, and I have been waiting
for them to come for lalong time.  Finally when they do come Im not even
going to be here.  I am so frustrated I cant even tell you.

Well, since I wont be reading the armchair for 3 months, if anybody wants to
write me while I am there just email me and I will be glad to give you my
address....maybe I will be able to get a few MA's while at bootcamp, huh?
 Probably not, but its worth a try. Wish me luck!

Jonathan
Calmdown20@aol.com

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 01:22:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: Smarshal1@aol.com
Subject: My tapelist-------------->>>>>

I just made a web page containing my list of audio and video tapes.  Right
now Im really only interested in video, unless you have good quality audio.
 It's pretty basic, but it gets the job done:
http://members.aol.com/SMarshal1/tapes.html

let me know, thanx
josh

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 23:05:34 PDT
From: "Sarah Stokes" <willowblossom@hotmail.com>
Subject: Kerri-anne/Midday BF5 controversy

>Personally I don't even know why they would want to appear on that show
>- - average age of the audience is about 55. Ben probably threw his
stool
>out of frustration: "They're all fucking OLD, mannnn..!" *CRASH* (there
>go a few piano keys).

I talked to Alan (their manager) at the Monash gig and asked why they
did the Midday gig, and he said they had no idea what the audience was
like until the curtain came up.... So it was a bit of a stuff up...

Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 23:08:28 PDT
From: "Petra Starke" <naturalselection@hotmail.com>
Subject: 1 extremely happy rather tall Adelaidean

BEN FOLDS FIVE aboslutely ROCKED Adelaide last night!!!! I am so
incredibly stoked, it was the best live performance I have ever seen!
Whoever made a post about doing anything to get a ticket to one of their
shows - I heartily agree. I would follow them around the world to catch
another show; they absolutely went off!!

Ben is such a showman: played with his feet, his forearm, the stool,
threw the stool around, trashed the microphone (minus any narky
producers or 'piano players' à la Jeff Harvey); Darren and Robert were
both awesome; the mosh pit was going off, crowdsurfers, sweat and
all...I am still reeling from it. I only got 4 hours sleep last night
and I'm still on a high. Woke up with 'Battle of who could care less' in
my head, playing like a loop tape.... PLUS:

I TOUCHED BEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I GOT HIS AUTOGRAPH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, am I buzzing or what?! Managed to push my way right down the front
where I waved my cd cover and a texta in front of his face for about
half an hour until he could stand it no longer (he kept giving me
signals like "Ok! I'll do it!! Just wait! (stop waving it at me, I'll
get to you later)") and then, after the encore he reached out just for
me and grabbed it, signed it, and returned it to my grateful hand...a
minute longer and I would have fainted from adoration and heat
exhaustion. I was the only one to get an autograph before they left the
stage. Do I feel special or what?

THANK GOD FOR THE FIVE!!!!!!
LONG LIVE BEN!!!!

Jubilance and Joyousness,

Petra

By the way: UP THE MIGHTY CROWS!!!!!!!! GRAND FINAL CHAMPIONS!!!!
woo-hoo what a weekend I'm having!! :D

Date: Sun, 28 Sep 97 02:12:14 -0500
From: Michael Bluejay <bluejay@pobox.com>
Subject: Earplugs

Howdy, everybody.  For the old-timers, I know I haven't posted in months,
and I'm very sorry, but I've been really busy.  Those of you who are new
to the Armchair and therefore couldn't have missed me, uh, hi!

Regarding what Rebecca Gorrell wrote:

>It's very unfortunate but I now know to hear them at their
>best I will have to take ear plugs to the Prince of Wales gig next week.

For a second I want to get on a soapbox and encourage everyone who goes
to see shows to wear earplugs regardless.  I'm a musician, and I've
definitely suffered some hearing loss.  In fact, if you ever go see live
shows, you most likely have some hearing loss too.  If you go get your
ears checked out you'd probably be surprised.  The devastating thing
about hearing loss is that once you lose any of your hearing ability, YOU
NEVER GET IT BACK!  You can even reverse heart disease by eating
properly, but once you snap any of those tiny fibers in your ear, they're
gone for good.  I wear earplugs every time we play, and at most shows I
go see.  Everything's so loud these days that even with the earplugs, I
can usually hear everything just fine.  If you can't bear the thought of
wearing plugs, then consider wearing just one, and always wear it in the
same ear.  That way when you get older and start to go deaf in your
unplugged ear, at least you'll have one good ear to hear with.

There are three kinds of plugs you can get.  A set of basic foam plugs
cost only a dollar, but they change what you hear somewhat.  (They erase
more highs than lows.)  The next kind are usually called baffles, and
they're rubber with rings at the ends and a piece of metal inside with a
hole in it.  These cost $10-20, but they keep the sound you hear more
realistic, just quiter.  For the connoisseur, you can get plugs specially
fitted for your ears, for $50-75.  (As you'd expect, these also keep the
sound more realistic.)

Okay, to try to make this on-topic, um, the second time I saw BF5, I was
right next to the stage, and a girl on my left was sitting on the edge of
the stage, RIGHT IN FRONT of a loudspeaker.  I mean that her ear was
probably less than 12 inches from the grille.  She was smart enough to
put a finger in her ear, but I loaned her one of my earplugs so she could
avoid going deaf without having her arm in an awkward position for the
whole show.

 -- Michael Bluejay (Austin, TX)

  http://pobox.com/bluejay  | Home of AUSTIN MUSIC, KING CHEESE,

Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 10:04:52 -0500
From: rosaliem@exoticomm.com
Subject: BIRMINGHAM,AL SHOW

Is anyone planning on going to the October 25th show in Birmingham,
Alabama? If so, please e-mail me.

I am planning on driving up there from New Orleans, so if any other New
Orleans people are considering doing this, please e-mail me as well.

Thanks!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 00:06:32 +0800 (WST)
From: Jodie Poole <jpoole@tartarus.uwa.edu.au>
Subject: WOW !!!!!

	Well, the Perth gig was absolutely awesome.  You know, before I'd
seen the boys play live, I 'd read all these great posts about their gigs
and I'd think "well, they must be good live" but it doesn't really sink in
until you actually *see* them live.
My sister and I got there early (Lisa in a shirt that said "Oh God Damn.."
and me in one that said "Shit Yeah its Cool") and managed to talk to
Robert while the support group were on.  He was really cool - a great guy
- - and signed some CD covers for me and we talked about places you could
visit in Perth.
Then it was time for the gig!  The set list was similar to the one posted
by someone earlier at a previous Aussie gig.  But what was that country
song they did in the middle?  I have heaps of live stuff on tape but have
never heard it done before.  There were obviously lots of people who were
just there because they know two songs (Underground and Angry Dwarf) but
it was still great!
	Then afterwards (thanks to a friend from Sony) I got to meet Ben
and Darren, and Robert again, in a "meet n greet" session.  Basically it
was all the Sony and promotion staff - plus us! Had a good talk to Ben
about various things - the new Fear of Pop record, his brothers band (hi
Chuck!) and the Midday show.  Ben said that after the Midday show, during
the commercial break, Jeff was just going off his nut with f!@#in' this
and what the f!@# are you doing, f!@#in' yankees!  Then Jeff said "well,
thanks a lot" and Ben said that he just went "no problem!"  Then when they
got back to the dressing room, they were just pissing themselves laughing!
Oh, and I also got to meet their manager Al later on, and he was really
cool.

Well, I've taken up way to much armchair space
	Thank you once again Robert, Ben and Darren for a fantastic
show and come back to Perth
real soon!
Catcha!
Jodie

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 17:13:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: bobafett@ekx.infi.net
Subject: nashville and bloomington

hey guys and gals...
        i don't really have a netscape-type-thing that i can use, seeing
that my computer is slow and deficient in most areas (luckily, about the
only thing i CAN use is email) so...i can't really check up on tour dates,
venues, ticket costs, ect,ect,ect.  so, i was wondering who was going to the
nashville show (i am definately going)  and if the bloomington thing was
ever confirmed because i really want to be able to go there too.  (i live
between the two cities, btw)
thanks...
jessica
Jessica B. Musselwhite
bobafett@ekx.infi.net OR
jbmuss01@homer.louisville.edu

     "My mom  bought this toilet paper with Bible sayings printed on it, but
I told her like if the Pope came by and had to take a shit we'd all get
excommunicated and sent to hell."  Buff from "subUrbia" a PLAY by Eric
Bogosian (i.e. not the movie)
     I AM SORRY IF THIS OFFENDS ANYONE, BUT I THOUGHT THAT IT WAS FUNNY.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 19:31:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: Alanica@aol.com
Subject: Atlanta & Charolette

Hi,
 I know how much tickets are and I can go to either show, but the problem is
can I get in?!?!? I'm only 15 and I know that the Trentmont Music Hall is  a
16+ show ( makes me want to cry), but how about the Roxy? And, could I
persuade the people in Charolette to let me in????

Thanks a billion!!!!
Take Care,
Becca

" little rock and roller your soul is too old for America" September 67