Issue #509 - October 3, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest    Friday, October 3 1997    Volume 01 : Number 509

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to armchair-owner@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I will try
to help you.

WHEN REPLYING: Please change the subject of your reply to something
pertinent to the message. Don't leave it as "Magical Armchair Digest,
V1 #xxx" unless your mail client won't allow you to change it.

ANNOYING POSTS:
   Yes, unfortunately, once in a while someone will get subscribed to
the list and post something intended to annoy all of us.  When that
happens, please just ignore it and let the moderator handle it behind the
scenes. Usually the instigator is lonely and looking for a little
attention. You can write to the person directly, but please keep it off
the list.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Chicago!
    bf5 at the supper club
    ithaca?
    Re:The Great Darren Jessee
    lounge-a-palooza; last thoughts on moshing; Julianne lyrics
    Livid festival
    looking for an old show (april 30th 1997)
    Misunderstood Lyrics/Your BFF Stories
    Unsubscribing
    More BFF messed up lyrics
    New disc coming soon
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #501
    EEK! Help!!
    Tour Date Update
    Why 18+ in Boston?
    DMB Tape (Non-BFF)
    chicago show
    Gladhands
    Ska-tastic

Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 00:13:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: FragleRoc1@aol.com
Subject: Chicago!

Are the boys at BFF coming to Chicago??? please tell!!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 00:15:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jessica237@aol.com
Subject: bf5 at the supper club

does anyone know if the show at the supper club is 21 and over or what?
because ticketmaster online says it is, but my friends say it isn't. anyone
know anything? thanks!
- --jess

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 01:01:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: Sara  Cazeault <scazeaul@mailbox.syr.edu>
Subject: ithaca?

question. whats up with bff playing at cornell on november 2nd? does
anyone have any info about tickets? thanks!

Sara (a newbie to the armchair)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 23:43:00 -0700
From: jessmiester@juno.com (Jessica A Lemley)
Subject: Re:The Great Darren Jessee

I would like to agree with all the people who wholeheartedly praise
Darren.

I'm personally in love with him, and that is all i have to say about
that.

- --Jessie
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I am superman, and i can do anything"--R.E.M.
"You've done no wrong,
now get out of my sight"--Ben Folds Five
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 02 Oct 1997 00:36:47 PDT
From: "Petra Starke" <naturalselection@hotmail.com>
Subject: lounge-a-palooza; last thoughts on moshing; Julianne lyrics

1stly - what's the deal with this Lounge-a-palooza cd? Is it coming to
Australia and if so, when and where will it be available? Can anybody
help me? I would love to own a cd with Beck and BF5 on it...

2ndly, the armchair is turning into somewhat of a moshpit itself lately!
I'm sorry if I pissed anyone off with my thoughts about moshing
(particularly Lucy who quite eloquently stated that it was "a piece of
shit" - thanks for sharing), but to tell you the truth I think I have a
different idea of what moshing actually is. Not necessarily
crowdsurfing, smashing shit up or kicking people in the head (although
those things can happen), but basically jumping up and down in a
confined space with heaps of other people. That's what I call moshing.
So maybe our definitions are different, I don't know. But in any case, I
didn't mean to start a huge argument about the thing...who really cares?

3dly - Matt was asking about the song 'Julianne' where Ben sings "I got
my bag of trash...I'm walking up and down and dragging it up and down
the road.." and what it means. I always took that to mean that Ben (or
whatever person's point of view he's singing from, at least; it doesn't
have to be him) has a...hmm, shall we say 'colourful' past, and he is
wondering how someone could "miss a man" who drags his past and memories
etc. around with him. He's the kind of guy who doesn't "give a shit"
about things that others deem morally wrong (ie: his friend who told him
she felt sorry for him, that the truth would come "crashing down" on
him, etc. etc.). Any other thoughts?

4thly - I know this is a really stupid fan-type question that has little
or no relevance to anything (but then again, if I can't be sycophantic
about Ben and the boys on here, where can I do it?). But in reference to
someone's post on the armchair, about #506/7 - do the guys really smoke
pot? I have wondered about this for a while. See, I told you it was
stupid and inconsequential.

Cheers, Petra

"And don't forget to give me back my black t-shirt!"
(only three more days until I have WEAEA!!! YES!)

Date: Thu, 02 Oct 97 20:36:59 PDT
From: "Scott Hookway" <shookway@powerup.com.au>
Subject: Livid festival

For Aussies rage will be having a Livid special this Sunday night with
clips from the bands playing.  Tune in and hopefully they will play a few
BFF clips

Scott
2 more sleeps to Livid (if I can sleep)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 02 Oct 1997 09:29:47 -0400
From: Joel Mahaffey <jvm113@psu.edu>
Subject: looking for an old show (april 30th 1997)

hey~

last year, i went to the bff show in philly at the TLA, and had a blast,
i'm thinking about going to one of the shows in november, but that is yet
to be determined. anyway, i was wondering if anyone had a copy of the
philly show from last spring, it was april 30th at the Theatre of Living
Arts in Philadelphia.
please email me privately if you can make me a copy of this show, i didn't
know that there was a copy of that show, but i saw the setlist on "looks
brains and everything" so i thought maybe someone did make it.

thanks a bunch

~joel

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 10:59:44 -0400 (EDT)
From: Patrick J McDonough <mcdonpj@wfu.edu>
Subject: Misunderstood Lyrics/Your BFF Stories

I laughed so hard at that list someone made of misunderstood BFF lyrics
(Jason?) that I added it to my bff tidbits page. Again, I encourage you
all to check out my site: http://www.wfu.edu/~mcdonpj/bff/
and email me any particular funny or interesting bff stories, trivia,
and tidbits.

Slamming the door like it's something to strive for,

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
\\  Patrick J. McDonough	Email: mcdonpj@wfu.edu	  \\
 \\ WFU Admissions Counselor 	Phone: (910)758-4929	   \\
  \\Wake Forest University '97	                            \\
   \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 02 Oct 1997 13:16:48 -0400
From: Anne_Lyons@BayNetworks.COM (Anne Lyons)

Hello the 'Chair!

Well... as I mentioned in my post yesterday... I needed to unsubscribe from
the list due to the job switcheroo since I get the Armchair here at work.

I'm thinking that this is going to be an ordeal since so many people have
such a hard time with it. Well... I'm posting to tell you that I
unsubscribed (to the correct address) and I received notification within a
half hour of my successful unsubscription.

Now, I used to giggle every time someone posted to the 'Chair trying to
unsubscribe. Now that I now how simple it really is... I got a big ol'
belly laugh out of it!

Have a great day... I'll read you when I get my new address!

- -Anne

P.S. For all you other Boston fans... see you at the Roxy on the 4th! I'll
be the short, blonde, old chick jumping up and down and singing. I might
even sing the wrong lyrics. My personal favorites from Matt Jean's list
were: "Stop the bus, I want a bologna...."; and the brilliant "....He drove
with Cher in the cavalcade." But I do promise not to mosh.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 12:28:28 -0500
From: quinnt@scc.net
Subject: More BFF messed up lyrics

Hey fellow cats!

More messed up lyrics from the first album:

(CD Track #)  Misheard Lyric
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 (8) Now he's back to tell his buddy in his soul-spoiled blare
 (5) Anna raged, "Marriage is not so good!"
 (5) Sum-summers in the evening after 6 or so
 (9) But I can't help it if you c-couldn't bag 'em through
 (9) The problem with used peach
 (7) Death said he was calling Monday afternoon
 (2) Got drunk and took her home and we slept in her clothes
 (7) 'Cause, see, all these has-beens pour some wine for you
 (1) That's what she said to me butt
 (2) Beth said I was into sin, too
(12) Is Boxing Ben good to you?

"The straight mind is ultimately the best because it's the long-distance runner of them all.  With the others, the road is too dangerous; it can burn you out, and kill your talent."
  -Joni Mitchell in Musician mag, 5/92

"And I'm gonna go to school again for you, just to get my equivalency diploma"
  -Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band

"I see friends everywhere saying 'how do you do?' /
 They're really saying 'I love you'"
  -from the Louis Armstrong chest-nut "What a Wonderful World"

submitted by:  El Levation, King of Levitation

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 13:55:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: Calmdown20@aol.com
Subject: New disc coming soon

Hey everybody,
I subscribe to an online magazine type thing called Rocktroplis Allstar News,
and the one I got for 10-1-97 had this in the gossip part:

Caroline Records will
be releasing a Ben Folds Five album of rarities and live tracks,
tentatively on Jan. 13. The title and track listing is still being
finalized by the band...

Isnt that great!!!  Now all of us who cant find the singles anywhere can get
them all on one disc!!!!  This CD is going to be the bomb.  Hope I was
informative to you all.

Jonathan

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 14:17:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: F2G2@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #501

elton john and ben folds??
i don't know how i feel about that.............

unless of course they rework brick as a tribute to a certain lamented and
lost media icon............

mak

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 02 Oct 1997 12:53:13 -0700
From: Daver <daver@cryogen.com>
Subject: EEK! Help!!

Does anyone have any BF5 midi files?
Sheet music- (it seems to be cureently out of print) ?

Incidently, I'm in PHX AZ, and there is a club here that claims BF5 is
playing there on Nov. 27 (Thanksgiving Day!)  I can't seem to confirm
this anywhere.  Does anyone know anything about it?

Thanks for all the fish!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 15:59:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: Frank Maynard <maynard@mail.oeonline.com>
Subject: Tour Date Update

A few more US tour dates have been announced. Some have already been
mentioned by others, but here are the ones since the last announcement:

Nov. 4: Boston, MA - The Roxy (Ticketmaster)
Nov. 6: New York, NY - The Supper Club (Ticketmaster)
Nov. 17: Minneapolis, MN - First Avenue (Ticketmaster)

Also, the Oct. 28 Bloomington, IN date has been switched to Indianapolis
- - Vogue Theatre (Ticketmaster).

And the Nov. 8 Pittsburgh, PA show at Westminster College is for
Westminster students only, according to a representative of the College.

 -fjm
                    Well this should cheer you up for sure

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 16:29:26 +0100
From: kareng@ici.net (karen gannon)
Subject: Why 18+ in Boston?

Will they play any other shows in the Boston or Providence areas? I missed
them at 4 shows this year, counting HORDE. And now the show will be 18+,
which pisses me off (as always). If someone can tell me why venues have 18+
shows, I'd appreciate it. 21+ shows, I understand, it's a drinking-age
requirement. But there are, to my knowledge, no reasons for 18+ shows.

Josh

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 14:52:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: Max Ryan Wall <wallmr@whitman.edu>
Subject: DMB Tape (Non-BFF)

Hi all. Sorry to post a non-BFF subject, but I've noticed several people
talking about trading DMB tapes. I'm looking for the July 12, 97 show at
Portland Meadows, Portland, OR. A friend went to it, and I'd like to get a
copy of it for her for Xmas. I've got lots of Tori Amos to trade. And,
hey, while I'm at it, I'd love to get a BFF live tape too. I'm also cool
with 2 for 1. Hope you all are having a great day!
						Max
- --------------------------------------------------------------------------
BENFOLDSFIVE*ODDS*TORIAMOS*PAULSIMON*TOMPETTY*ROLLINGSTONES*NINEINCHNAILS*
REDHOTCHILIPEPPERS*            Max Wall			 SMASHINGPUMPKINS*
BURTBACHARACH*		    Whitman College		        PINKFLOYD*
RADIOHEAD*		 Walla Walla, WA 99362			AEROSMITH*
FIONAAPPLE*	    http://www.whitman.edu/~wallmr/		     BECK*
THEBEATLES*		  wallmr@whitman.edu			    STING*
FOOFIGHTERS*RAGEAGAINSTTHEMACHINE*PRESIDENTSOFTHEUNITEDSTATESOFAMERICA*U2*

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 18:11:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: Lifeisski@aol.com
Subject: chicago show

quick question.
does anyone know if i have to go to the vic to get tickets, or can I get them
from ticketmaster?
either way, I'll see you there.

- ---matty j---

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 02 Oct 1997 17:31:05 -0600
From: Shawn Huckaby <bshawn@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Gladhands

Well, since I haven't seen this discussed on the list in a while....

I finally got around to picking up the Gladhands CD, "La Di Da", and
it's pretty gosh darn wonderful.  A great confectionary slice of pure
power pop heaven.  And, as an added bonus, Robert Sledge plays bass on
six cuts, and sings backup on another.  A nice tie-in, and definitely
recommended if you are a fan of the Posies/Jellyfish/Matthew Sweet side
of things.

I found it in a very cool catalogue from the Not Lame recording company
(http://www.notlame.com); they specialize in all things poppy and
obscure, and even seem to be fans of BFF.

Anyway, nice to see the boys lending support to another Chapel Hills
band.  Check 'em out.

Shawn Huckaby

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 02 Oct 1997 19:53:44 -0400
From: "John E. Fahey" <jfahey@cyberportal.net>
Subject: Ska-tastic

One thing I've noticed over the pst couple of months is that there are
several (quite a few actually) ska fans (including me) out there who
really like BFF as well. Maybe there's something similar between the two
that is undistinguishable just by listening... However, I don't think
that this formula works the other way around. For example, everytime I
have BFF in the stereo my mom always comments on it saying how much she
likes it, while when I'm listening to the Bosstones to Buck-O-Nine to
Reel Big Fish, she'll just twll me to put on something else.

On a somewhat unrelated note, seeing all of the wonderful concert
reviews as of lately, it got me to thinking. I'm wondering if anyone has
a page with BFF concert reviews (archived as well). I was thinking of
starting one of my own, but don't particularly want to dedicate the time
if someone has already done something similar. I'm sure I could find the
answer for myself, but I don't really have the time to look something
like that up...

Choi!
John