Issue #511 - October 4, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest   Saturday, October 4 1997   Volume 01 : Number 511

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I
will try to help you.

WHEN REPLYING: Please change the subject of your reply to something
pertinent to the message. Don't leave it as "Magical Armchair Digest,
V1 #xxx" unless your mail client won't allow you to change it.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    another mosh pit perspective
    Melbourne gig at POW
    dates
    Chicago tix
    BADDA BINGO!!
    Skanking at BF5?!?!
    Misheard Lyrics - The Lost World
    The (new) Ben Folds Five Trading Station

Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 10:55:57 -0500 (CDT)
From: SCHUTTE <eschutte@eagle.cc.ukans.edu>
Subject: another mosh pit perspective

Hey all!

I know that you may be sick of the Mosh Pit stuff, but I have something to
add!  Plain and simple, I think moshing is stupid.  I am coming from a
different perspective, too.  You see, I broke my leg in May, so I am kind
of handicapped.  I still like to concerts, though, and I can because I
don't have crutches, now.  The thing is, if someone knocks into me and I
fall on my leg, I break it again.  Some of you are probably saying, "Well,
don't go in the standing area, sit down!"  But don't I have just as much
right to stand up there and enjoy myself as much as anyone else?  So
please, those of you who mosh, can you just calm down and enjoy the music
without running into people and potentially hurting them?  Show a little
respect.

Also, I may be wrong, but I thought that "Underground" was making fun of
people who mosh and do that kind of stuff.  I may be totally wrong, but
that's what I got out of it.  If I'm wrong, please correct me.  However,
does anyone else agree with me?

Love and peace,

Emily

"No two days are quite the same,
 I look at my life I really can't complain"--Matthew Sweet

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 02:12:53 +1000
From: "Rebecca Gorrell & Lance O'Brien" <lotto@netspace.net.au>
Subject: Melbourne gig at POW

Ben Folds Five Kicked Butt!!!!
They were so much better than at Monash Uni (personal view only).  They
played too many songs to remember with a hour and a half set (including
encore). I'm sure someone else will remember every detail but it is 2.10am
and I'm going to bed!!
I had to leave as soon as they had finished because my poor husband is
quite sick but came along anyway even though he has to be up at 6.30am to
go to work!!!

Still too wound up to sleep,
Rebecca.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 Oct 1997 12:47:39 -0600
From: "Erik C. Lyons" <EPA8820@epa.state.il.us>
Subject: dates

Do we know about these scheduled dates>>

1-10-1997
RICHMOND, VA  FLOOD ZONE
11-11-1997
CARBORRO, NC  CAT'S CRADLE
11-17-1997
MINNEAPOLIS, MN  FIRST AVENUE
11-18-1997
NOTRE DAME, IN   STEPAN CENTER, UNIVERSITY OF NOTRE DAME
11-19-1997
LAWRENCE, KS  GRANADA THEATER
11-22-1997
AUSTIN, TX   LA ZONA ROSA
11-24-1997
DENVER , CO  OGDEN THEATRE
11-26-1997
SALT LAKE CITY, UT    ZEPHYR CLUB
11-28-1997
SAN FRANCISCO, CA  THE FILLMORE
11-30-1997
LOS ANGELES, CA   EL REY THEATRE
12-4-1997
WASHINGTON, DC  GEORGETOWN UNIV., MCDONOUGH MEMORIAL
GYM

- -Erik.
tour dates on:
http://members.tripod.com/~elyons/

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 Oct 1997 12:59:38 -0600
From: "Erik C. Lyons" <EPA8820@epa.state.il.us>
Subject: Chicago tix

Go on sale Saturday 10/4. ticket-suck-your-pocketbook-dry-master.

See you there!

If you are traveling, forget about getting a hotel room in town for under
$300. I gotta stay at the airport. frickin food shows. . .

Later. take it easy. bye. see ya.
- -Erik.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 Oct 1997 13:36:38 -0600
From: "Erik C. Lyons" <EPA8820@epa.state.il.us>
Subject: BADDA BINGO!!

The MOST comprehensive site for US TOUR DATES!!!!!!!!

http://members.tripod.com/~elyons/

TRUST ME!!!

I GOT 29, count them, 29 tour dates for you to browse!!!!

woo hoo!!

see you there!!!!!
- -Erik.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 Oct 1997 15:35:14 -0400
From: Jessica Brandt <jbrandt@kent.edu>
Subject: Skanking at BF5?!?!

>Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 21:24:23 -0600
>From: fost0017@badger.snow.edu (The Insatiable Mot)
>Subject: Re: Moshing

>      Well, I'm brand new to the Armchair, but I have been an extremely
>devoted fan our our three heroes since two days after the release of the
>first album. But, that's another story. Anyway, I was inspired, so here's
>my first (of probably many) postings.

Hey! i'm brand new to Magical Armchair too, and I'm not even sure this post
will WORK right (sorry if no one can understand this reply). I have also
been a devoted "Ben-Head" ever since the release of the first one. I am
CRAZY about them.

If you're (anyone, go ahead) reading this post and you can give me a tip on
how to reply, or if you can tell me that I did it RIGHT, will you send me
some e-mail? i'd appreciate it.

>        I heartily agree, my friend. I'm also very pleased to find a fellow
>ska fan on the list (any other rudeboy/girls out there?). People mosh at
>punk shows. That's alright, I guess; it's hard to dance to punk otherwise.
>People have absolutely no business being at ska shows unless they know how
>to skank. And BFF music is hardly "moshable". I mean, the music is so
>sophisticated and intricate, and moshing is so sloppy and stupid looking.
>But, again, I have to say that it would be hard to dance to otherwise
>(except for "Boxing" and "smoke", which you could clearly waltz to, though
>you'd probably get some pretty weird looks for it). So, the question
>arises: "how, then, should we dance to BOWCCL and Jackson Cannery?" The
>answer is: I don't know. Be creative! Any fan of Ben's music is OBVIOUSLY
>extremely intelligent; figure something out. There's gotta be something
>better than seeing how many bruises you can get in a night by slamming your
>body into other people!
>
>                Just pointless rambling...

Well Tim i am a fellow Rude Girl!!! I was always wondering if other huge
ska fans were huge BF5 fans. It's weird to describe what kind of music I
like when people ask. I like stuff that's GOOD, like BF5.

I had a problem when i went to a show with my friend Scott. I won't go with
him anymore because i feel threatened by his dancing! See, he followed me
to ska shows and now he thinks skanking (which he can't even do right) is
the only way to dance. Now, it's a perfectly fine way to dance but when NO
ONE else around you is doing it, and you've got wall-to-wall people trying
to intently listen to the music, it's quite a disturbance. i found it hard
to listen while his hands were coming so close to my face, and i felt bad
for the girl behind him too. I asked him to calm down but he said "hey i'm
just getting in to the music". I had to leave.

Anyway, do you think it's wrong for me to be annoyed?

* My fish's name is Eric.  He is an halibut.     *
*                    o  O  O                     *
*                 ____   o o                     *
*              |\/   o\ Oo                       *
*              |/\____/      (Monty Python)      *

Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 15:47:09 -0500
From: quinnt@scc.net
Subject: Misheard Lyrics - The Lost World

Fellow Armchairianites,

Following are more peculiarities from the first album.  Granted, they may not rate with those presented by certain others within these confines.  However, where demand exceeds supply, the diligent hack may flourish in spite of himself.  At least that's what well-wishers have told me.  Let's rock, shall we?

(CD track number)  misinterpolated lyric
 (6) Iowa's never cool in school
 (8) He knows that in a moment they'll be shootin' a pair of wings
(12) Boxing's been good to me.  Ha!  Word!
 (6) I love da mix; Ann circles quicksand; so shall Cota Reeves (that's me)
 (9) The problem with Hugh's beach - you game? -
     he was fined, like diphtheria's a bout!
     My, (what a) little stage!
 (4) I tried to tell you, tried to tell you.
     Y'took a little.
     Bit too long.
     Now your bone is disconnected and your chin's out all along.
(12) Howard, now Ike & Fez, "I'm-scared", and lone LeAnn Tyre
(12) Well sometimes I bunch myself hard as I can.
     Knowing?  No, but he cares, so be someone.
     Will, tell me how wrong I am.
 (5) I'll walk on down the hill -
     He may be bi up here
     I think about my friends, sometimes I wish they'd lift a tier
     But they wouldn't take this down
 (6) Who's Scott DeLukes? Who's Scott DeBraise?
     Who's Scott F. Ray Thang? I got his paint in my car...let's haul!
 (9) I swore I was listening - "Bud Eyes" started drifting
 (6) Ken, we be happy!

My remedial listening classes start next Wednesday.

- -El Levation, King of Levitation

"Every night we're gone / And to karaoke songs / how we'd like to sing along / But the words are wrong"  (from Blur's "The Universal")
"The straight (drugless) mind is ultimately the best because it's the long-distance runner of them all."  (Joni Mitchell)
"Bennie and the Jets / Oh they're so weird and wonderful"  (Elton John/Taupin)
"It's getting late where you are" (duh)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 19:00:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: Qualitease@aol.com
Subject: The (new) Ben Folds Five Trading Station

Hello all,
      I have recently been handed over the Ben Folds Five Trading Station.  I
have totally redone it.  It includes a list of traders and an index of all
available Ben Folds Five bootlegs.  (I need help with this, so e-mail me if
you have a show that isn't listed)  Go check this out, and e-mail me to get
on the page.  here is the address:

http://members.aol.com/Qualitease/bfftrade.html

Out,
    ~Alan