Issue #512 - October 5, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest    Sunday, October 5 1997    Volume 01 : Number 512

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I
will try to help you.

WHEN REPLYING: Please change the subject of your reply to something
pertinent to the message. Don't leave it as "Magical Armchair Digest,
V1 #xxx" unless your mail client won't allow you to change it.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Chicago hotels...
    Re: Satan is my master
    LA Date
    DC SHOW
    Anti-moshing
    Pitt. Show.
    MOSH PITS RULE!!!
    HELLO!
    Westminster College show
    Looking forward to Raliegh
    Re:  Meeting Ben
    BFF & SKA
    Age at Supper Club
    Brick on the Radio
    Re: Meeting Ben Folds
    The shoebox..
    Ben
    rich girls like to steal
    boston show
    Raleigh Show???

Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 21:46:22 -0500
From: punkerboy@webtv.net (JOHN SCHOLTES, Jr.)
Subject: Chicago hotels...

For anyone looking for reasonably priced lodging or other cool stuff to
do while in Chicago for the BFF show on the 30th, email me directly.

                                           -Johnny

"Sometimes I punch myself as hard as I can yelling 'nobody cares' hoping
someone will tell me how wrong I am" -Ben Folds

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/1867/ High Velocity Online

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 23:15:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: FineExampl@aol.com
Subject: Re: Satan is my master

<< It's been mentioned that "Satan" may be a cover, possibly originally by
 Slayer. The origin of this misunderstanding is that Ben occasionally
 makes Slayer jokes because his tour manager used to work for Slayer. In
 fact, "Satan" is a Ben Folds Original. >>

As  you wrote..."Satan..." is NOT a cover, unless you count the music from
Skynyrd's "Freebird" being used with it!  The supposed "cover" that you were
referring to is titled "The Ultimate Sacrifice"!   I actually DID hear that
it's a Judas Priest cover or possibly a Slayer cover as you mentioned!
If anyone can back up any of this, let me/us know!  Just make sure you put
"Satan" in the subject for me, ok??

always,
JOhnny H.          NJ          USA

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 03:23:57 +0000
From: Shaft <CrimsonKing@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: LA Date

        If the dates that Erik Lyons posted are true, and BFF is playing the
El Rey on Nov 30, I'm inviting all Armchair subscribers in Orange County to
start mailing me about a possible pre-show gathering.  All suggestions are
greatly appreciated!
        BTW, I also heard "She Don't Use Jelly" on KROQ.  It is so cool!!!
I heard from someone I know who works at a CD store that the advance copy of
Loungeapalooza they have is spectacular.
        Take Care-
                        Andy     #:-)
                        CrimsonKing@worldnet.att.net

"I met Rickie Lee Jones today and asked her who her favorite Spice Girl was.
She responded with a look of morbid indifference."   -  M. Doughty (of Soul
Coughing)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 Oct 1997 23:35:24 -0500 (EST)
From: Christina Scarmeas <15SCARMEAS@cua.edu>
Subject: DC SHOW

Is it true? IS BF5 really coming DC? I heard that they woould be playing
on Dec. 4th at Georgetown. How would I go about getting tickets??? I am
sooooooooooo excited!!!!!
Tina

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 23:37:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: marc s kaplan <mkap@wam.umd.edu>
Subject: Anti-moshing

I dislike moshing as much as all of you...
But People are always going to do what they want to do.

Saying "Please dont run into me when you mosh"  or that "moshing is
stupid, and that people should not mosh at a BFF concert" is not going to
change the minds of the people who want to mosh.

I went to a They Might Be Giants concert last year, and people moshed.  I
thought it was dumb, but I had no problem with it, I just did not mosh.

Its clear that BFF or They Might Be Giants for that matter is not moshing
music, but there will always be those people who do it, even as misplaced
it seems.

There are usually places for people to stand/sit who do not want to mosh.
Its not like sombody is going to drag you out and make you crowd surf or
mosh.

And, yea I think undergound IS talking about--condecendingly the
underground scene.

					-/\/\arc

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 23:45:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: marc s kaplan <mkap@wam.umd.edu>
Subject: Pitt. Show.

I Hope its not true that it is only westminster college students...I can
not recall any college gig where the promoters only limited it to college
students.  Now at my school University Of MD, at some events they will
make the price higher for non-students.  That would be the most probable
of explinations....I hope....

Not quite as upset as you...

					-/\/\arc

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 23:41:07 -0700
From: gabsey@juno.com (Gaby M FOUNDOUKIS)
Subject: MOSH PITS RULE!!!

	I, GABRIELLA MARIA FOUNDOUKIS, AM A TOTALLY DEVOTED FAN OF BEN
FOLDS FIVE. I THINK THE SONG "UNDERGROUND" IS THEIR BEST SONG. I AM A
PERSON WHO LIKES THE NOSE RING AND MOSH PIT THING.  MOSH PITS ARE FUN.
BUT THEY CAN BE DANGEROUS , AS EMILY SAID. BUT THEY ARE FUN AS HELL!!! IF
ANYONE HAS ANY COMMENTS ON THIS, WRITE ME AT GABSEY@JUNO.COM     SO, IF
YOU HAVE ANY NEGATIVE OR POSITIVE RESPONSE.... WRITE ME

			SIGNING OUT,
			GABY

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 23:55:54 -0700
From: gabsey@juno.com (Gaby M FOUNDOUKIS)
Subject: HELLO!

HI!!! I AM NEW TO THE BEN FOLDS FIVE THING. IF ANYONE CAN CLUE ME ON
WHERE THEY ARE PLAYING OR JUST HAVE FACTS PLEASE WRITE ME AT
GABSEY@JUNO.COM OR IF U R  A AOL MEMBER I.M. ME AT GABSEY007@AOL.COM

		THANKS
		GABY

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 00:17:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: Frank Maynard <maynard@mail.oeonline.com>
Subject: Westminster College show

When I heard about the "students only" restriction at the Westminster
College show, I asked the Associate Dean of Student Affairs. She replied
that the facility only holds 350 and the student body is 1400, which is
why they are restricting it to students only.

 -fjm
                           You're my hero I confess

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 01:03:00 -0400
From: "Derek Supranowicz" <dpsupr@maila.wm.edu>
Subject: Looking forward to Raliegh

So is the BFF quintet still traveling with the band after horde.  It added
quite a bit to it,  especially to songs like the theme from dr. pyser.
This will be my third and its getting better everytime.  cept I wish they
got to play longer at HORDE.  i think those shows brought in alot of fans
who normally wouldn't have been exposed to BFF.  I had all my friends leave
Primus to see them. It created at least five more fans.  coincedence?  i
think not.

Derek Supranowicz		School Email -dpsupr@maila.wm.edu
College Station Unit 0474	Email2 - dsuprano@rocketmail.com
PO BOX 8793			WWW - http://www.toptown.com/dorms/xonel
Williamsburg,  VA 23186-0474
(757)-221-4537

Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 01:51:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: Phishrman1@aol.com
Subject: Re:  Meeting Ben

Meeting Ben and the Boys is simple.....in fact I became friends with ben just
by going to his shows....do one of two things:

1) be there when he walks around in the crowd or outside the venue

- -or-

2) depending upon the venue...ben sometimes stands near the door to
backstage, greeting people who dont have passes!!

Good Luck!

~jared
http://members.aol.com/phishrman1/BenFolds5.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 00:37:37 -0700
From: jessmiester@juno.com (Jessica A Lemley)
Subject: BFF & SKA

I love Ska too!  This is amazing....

I'm into Cherry Poppin' Daddies, Reel Big Fish, Skankin' Pickles, Less
Than Jake, ect....

- --Jessie
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I am superman, and i can do anything"--R.E.M.
"You've done no wrong,
now get out of my sight"--Ben Folds Five
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 09:14:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: LindaNikon@aol.com
Subject: Age at Supper Club

In a message dated 97-10-02 20:59:04 EDT, Jess wrote:

<< does anyone know if the show at the supper club is 21 and over or what?
 because ticketmaster online says it is, but my friends say it isn't. anyone
 know anything? thanks! >>

I was just at a concert at the Supper Club last weekend and it was 16 and up.
Of course, that doesnt' mean it will definitely be that way for BF5, but the
odds are pretty good. You should call the venue (they are listed in Mahattan
information on 47th between 8th and Broadway) just to make sure.

Linda

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 10:29:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: BFRsDj5@aol.com
Subject: Brick on the Radio

I am so happy!!
I finally heard Brick on the radio.  I was just kind of switching through the
channels when I heard the song.  I stopped, turned it up and started singing.
 It was on this program called "Out of the Box" where people call in and see
whether they should keep playing the song on that station or not. Of course I
had to call and put my two cents in saying that they should keep it.  The
thing that sucked is that everyone else called in to say get rid of that
crappy song.  I was mad but at the same time happy.
Odd.  But you  know those people calling in saying it sucked will be the ones
in a few months worshipping the ground that they walk on saying "I love Ben
Folds!!"
Ok sorry had to get that out.
*Kim*

------------------------------

Date: 4 Oct 1997 10:58:22 -0400
From: "Ben Kamen" <ben_kamen@wra.k12.oh.us>
Subject: Re: Meeting Ben Folds

                      RE>Meeting Ben Folds                         10/4/97

>I wanted to get ben and the buys to sign my cast (long
>story) it would make breaking a limb all worth wild.  would any >of you guys
>have any tips as to how to get to meet ben,  it seems lots of >people on
>this list have done it,  so how would I go about doing it?

Last summer at HORDE, (at least in Colombus, OH) they actually had an
autograph booth after the show.  But there I guess there were many other
bands, and they hung around after their performance.  If you really really
really want to meet them, just find where the bus is parked and wait.   They
have to come back to their bus sometime.  Good Luck...

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 04 Oct 1997 13:00:43 -0400
From: Alden Thomas <althomas@gte.net>
Subject: The shoebox..

To all you lucky people out there...

Please check out my totally new and revitalized site: The Electric
Shoebox!
In case you forgot (or didn't know about it in the first place) the
address is:

www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/1891

Let me know what you think so far. There'll be more on it later...

Thanks,
Alden

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 04 Oct 1997 16:33:41 -0400
From: Vito Biliti <goatman1@geocities.com>
Subject: Ben

Hey all.
I know this is kinda personal to ben, so i don't really want to start a big
arguement about it (drugs, moshing, etc...), But i was just wondering what
religion ben is.  There are many references to Christmas, like in OAD (mom
said by Christmas I would have), in Rocky (now at Christmas.. something
about rockys room,) and so on. However when ben does "Hava Nagila" (a
traditional Jewish song), he says something about hearing it a lot as a
kid.  E-mail me privately if you can help.
Whatever and ever,
Vito
Goatman1@Geocities.com
"Hey D! you gonna let me in?" -Ben Folds

PS: IF ANYONE HAS A QUALITY COPY OF THE UNCLE WALTER VIDEO AND/OR THE
UNDERGROUND VIDEO, EMAIL ME!!!!!

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 17:58:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: Excus7teen@aol.com
Subject: rich girls like to steal

<<People mosh at punk shows. That's alright, I guess; it's hard to dance to
punk >otherwise. People have absolutely no business being at ska shows unless
they >know how to skank.>>

ok so if i go to a ska show, then i have no business being there? thats such
a fucking rude thing to say; let's not make shows an elitist thing. people
mosh at punk shows, ska shows, i mean, people would mosh to yanni if you gave
them a chance. i go to local hardcore shows all the time and no one moshes
because they're there to take in the music, not break their necks.

<<now he thinks skanking (which he can't even do right)>

really, is there a "right" and correct way to skank?

__________________________the obligatory song quote_____________________
but you gotta play a show cause they love you, you play a song so well. but
when something's wrong why can't we all just get along? it's not your fucking
problem.

------------------------------

Date: Sat,  4 Oct 1997 18:17:42, -0500
From: RFAA93A@prodigy.com (MR MARC   FACTOR)
Subject: boston show

hey,

im a big bff fan and i go to umass amherst.  right now im in ny
because that is where i live.  i need to know the date for that show
if you can give it to me.  where in boston are they  playing?  give
me all the details please.  if it is at all possible e mail me to my
prodigy adress before tommorrow at 3, but if you cant write me next
weekend because ill be home again.  hopefully you can get into that
show, im sure youll find a way. thanks
brian

Date: Sat, 04 Oct 1997 18:30:45 -0400
From: Denny Deaton <navyblue@coastalnet.com>
Subject: Raleigh Show???

Hello at the Armchair,
Just wondering if anyone has heard anymore about the Raleigh, NC show at
the Ritz on October 18th and when the tickets go on sale??  If anyone
knows any info about how to get the tickets(Ticketmaster??) please let
me know at:
navyblue@coastalnet.com    Thanks a lot!!  Later.  Denny