Issue #516 - October 7, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest    Tuesday, October 7 1997    Volume 01 : Number 516

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I
will try to help you.

WHEN REPLYING: Please change the subject of your reply to something
pertinent to the message. Don't leave it as "Magical Armchair Digest,
V1 #xxx" unless your mail client won't allow you to change it.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    2 missing members
    Rage and Cover songs
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #514
    TIX
    Ticketmaster & Fees
    POW gig, Moshing and Popularity

Date: Sun, 05 Oct 1997 23:49:25 -0700
From: "Julie Hurst" <sledgie@mailexcite.com>
Subject: 2 missing members

If you saw Recovery you would know that I am one of the two missing members!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So cool. Ben couldn't have done anything more nice. One more thing where was his
wedding ring??????
it's not there at Midday!

http://www.mailexcite.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 19:20:27 +1000
From: "BECK" <beckwk@pnc.com.au>
Subject: Rage and Cover songs

Hi all,

Just a few matters I'd like to discuss, the first being
covers. A few songs I'd like to hear the guys cover are

1)The Penacolada Song (I heard it as a link on Letterman,
   it's a pretty famous song but I'll be buggered if I can
   remember the name!)
2)Everyone's A Winner Baby by Hot Chocolate
3)Subterranean Homesick Blues
4)Caroline by the Badloves (not that that song doesn't
   already kick some pretty powerful arse!)
6)Skinny Sweaty Man by the Red Hot Chili Peppers
5)anything by Marilyn Manson, in a comical vein of course!

The second matter is that of Rage (this concerns Aussie fans)
I taped the whole show but they had no clips or anything from
Livid, I'm from NSW so I don't know if the programming is any
different.

FINALLY, Rage on Saturday night is being guest programmed by
the boys so if you are interested in what influences them and
other bands whose music they enjoy WATCH THIS. (if you're
a foreigner reading this, mail me if you want a copy)

Matt
"fire up those sparklers cause I got me a pair of 3-D
glasses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 07:52:32 -0500
From: "James A. Rota II" <googotz@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #514

unsubscribe

thanks...

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 10:40:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: CLOSERGIRL@aol.com
Subject: TIX

Hello All,

I just got my tix for NYC's Supper Club.  I'm excited,  the Supper Club is a
great venue.  I really hope they play more obscure stuff.  I hope it's not
the same show as when they came around to NY last time.  Anyway, is anyone
else going?  Just curious.  Well talk to ya later.

Carrolyn

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 09:39:56 -0500
From: Lee_Swartz@Sonymusic.Com
Subject: Ticketmaster & Fees

To Josh & anyone else who chooses to bitch about TicketMaster,

>Needless to say, I'm not doing this again!

don't

Ticket Master is the biggest bullshit...

nice grammer

>Ok, now you know why they are called Ticket Bastard and why you will
always pay exorbitant >fees.

you only pay the exorbitant fee if you choose to use them. you do have the
option of showing up at the club and getting tickets at the door, or I'm
sure the club has a box office that will be more than happy to sell you
tickets if you wish to get them early.

I don't work for T.M. nor do I give a rats ass how you get your tickets,
and really I should keep my nose in my own business, but you do have
options. If you want to boycott T.M., do so, just don't use their service
and then bitch about it. it got old two years ago and it's still old.

boy those guys in Pearl Jam sure are courageous....

Lee

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 01:59:01 +1000
From: Sarah <stokes@comcen.com.au>
Subject: POW gig, Moshing and Popularity

Hiddelley Ho Everyone :}

I have to agree with all the Melbourne fans who have posted so far... BFF
were awesome at POW :}:}:}:}:} And it was wonderful to meet a fellow
Armchairite - Janelle, thanks for a great night :}

POW was a very different gig to the Monash one. The venue was a lot better,
being a lot smaller, thus more intimate. The feel of the whole thing was
better.

Ben was very talkative, and the crowd was much more responsive. I had a
better view too. I was standing right behind Ben and was able to watch his
hands as he played. WOW!!!! Also, Robert was watching Ben most of the time,
for cues, I'm guessing, so I was able to watch him as well. I knew Ben felt
strongly about the music from listening to him sing, and I thought that
Robert and Darren probably did too, but to actually watch the emotions on
their faces as they played each song was amazing.  Unfortunately, once
again I couldn't see Darren without spectacular contortions on my part, so
I missed out there.

Janelle, you got the play list mostly right, so I won't rehash it :}

I must agree with Janelle that Ben is a perfect host, and Darren seemed
very quiet, and Robert was hilarious :} Thanks again to Doug, hope Robert
wasn't too tired at Livid after the night out, apologies if he was... lost
track of time I guess ;}

I would have to say that it was the best night of my life... Thankyou to
everyone who made it so much fun, especially BFF themselves :}

On a couple of other topics... MOSHING. I was disappointed at the Monash
gig that the crowd didn't get into it more, and move a little, but after
the POW gig, which I thought would be a lot rowdier, I have to say that
moshing would be a little out of place at a BFF gig. Most of the time I was
so wrapped up in watching Ben's hands and the communication between Ben and
Robert I couldn't move. Other times I was so absorced by just listening and
experiencing the emotion of the songs. In a couple of their faster songs I
was bouncing about the place, but I couldn't imagine a big mosh ever.

On POPULARITY... I wish the guys all the success in the world, I think they
are the most dedicated and talented musicians I have ever heard, and after
meeting them I realize how much their music means to them. I want every one
to know their music, because I think it is so special. But the selfish part
of me wants to keep them all to myself, cause if they were huge, I wouldn't
have got to see Ben's hands up close, or hear them in an intimate venue.
And I probably wouldn't have got to meet them ;} I just hope that if they
do get really popular they still remember me next time they are here :} But
if not, I will still have some wonderful memories of the first time they
came to Oz.

Sorry about my rambling, but I still can't get over what a great night it
was :}

Cheers,
Sarah

Titania@cybergal.com