Issue #517 - October 7, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest    Tuesday, October 7 1997    Volume 01 : Number 517

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I
will try to help you.

WHEN REPLYING: Please change the subject of your reply to something
pertinent to the message. Don't leave it as "Magical Armchair Digest,
V1 #xxx" unless your mail client won't allow you to change it.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    dr pyser
    Front row tickets!
    Supper Club-NYC
    Calling all Ohio people
    UPCOMING BOSTON SHOW
    Re: Chicago, Minneapolis and Misheard Lyrics
    SEE BEN!
    rarities and live album on the way
    Video Killed the Radio Star, Skanking, and Ticketmaster
    hi bf5 fans...apolige inclosed!!

Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 14:57:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: JCannery@aol.com
Subject: dr pyser

I hope I'm not the 20th person to post this, but I think Pyser is Norweigian.
 And I think I recall the band saying it was a bad Norweigian word when they
did an interview with Morning Becomes Ecclectic.  I don't know what it means
exactly though.
- --lindsay

------------------------------

Date: 06 Oct 97 15:16 EDT
From: KLEVERING.KRISTIN@ANN-ARBOR.VA.GOV
Subject: Front row tickets!

I can't believe it!  I have front row, left of center tickets to see Ben
and the boys for the Ypsilanti, MI show!  It was so worth lying to get out
of a staff meeting in order to stand in line.  I was kind of dissapointed
in the line length, though.  I got there 45 min. before the box office
opened and there were about 15 people ahead of me.  It was further out the
door by the time I left, though.

Tickets for this show can be ordered over the phone starting noon Oct. 7
by calling the box office at 313-487-1221.

You know, it's wonderful when life hands you ice cream instead of lemons.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 15:54:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: Soapscribe@aol.com
Subject: Supper Club-NYC

I too just paid around $40 for two tickets via Ticketmaster (Satanticket is
My Master) to see BFF at the stiff and pretentious Supper Club, where it
seems, unfortunately, most of my faves play when in town.   I remember the
sound as being a little echo-y --  heck,  I'll perch on Ben's piano if I have
to (I mean, what's with this "if you plug your ears and stand on your head,
it sounds just like the CD?!").
When I first heard "Alice Childress",   I thought the second to last line was
"I'm scared of the light where you are..." -- which I think works pretty
well, too.

Jane

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 15:54:55 -0400
From: "Faix, Andrew" <AFaix@harris.com>
Subject: Calling all Ohio people

Help!  I plan on going to the show at Lakewood Civic Auditorium on
Halloween.  Problem: I'm coming from Rochester, NY and have no idea
where this place is (other than West of Cleveland).

Call them why don't you?  Well, I tried.  According to the local area
information, there is no listing for a Lakewood Civic Auditorium.

So, if anybody has any info: i.e. directions and phone number, please
write me soon.  I'd really appreciate it.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.
- -Andrew (afaix@harris.com)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 Oct 97 15:51:49 EDT
From: "Emily Durand" <edurand@slaw.neu.edu>
Subject: UPCOMING BOSTON SHOW

Hey fellow Armchairites of the Greater Boston Area.  Ayone else have tickets
to the Roxy show, November 4?  Anyone else see the incredibly doofy picture
of BFF in the Phoenix last week?  In any event, I would love to decide on a
visible Magical Armchair insignia for this show, so we can all be cool
together.  Back in the summer, people at the NYC Central Park show wore
"Hello, My Name Is..." stickers with "WALTER" written in, which I think is
fairly witty.  What say ye?  Please, no one suggust "How about we all wear
our Ben Folds Five t-shirts?!"'cause, man, that would get outta hand fast.
Ideas, mates?

Em the Lawyer (ok, law *student*)

	"Officer Friendly's little boy's got a Mohawk
	 and he knows just where we're coming from..."

Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 15:10:00 +0000
From: m <mwmcconv@students.wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: Chicago, Minneapolis and Misheard Lyrics

	Saturday at 2pm I FINALLY got my tickets to the show at the Vic.
Man, Garth Brooks is an asshole for busying up their lines...Later that
night, I learned that they'll be in Minneapolis on November 17th and
realized that I may need to get a ticket- Anyone think that's overkill?  Or
greedy?  Or to cool?
	Since it's prevalent, I also thought I'd add my favorite misheard
lyric to the collection-

From "Fair"
	All Liz Phair, All Liz Phair....in love.

	See you on the 30th.  Later.

	"I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee."
				-Mike Patton

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 06 Oct 1997 15:18:52 -0600
From: "Erik C. Lyons" <EPA8820@epa.state.il.us>
Subject: SEE BEN!

See Ben Folds play the piano!!!!

http://members.tripod.com/~elyons/ben_jams.htm

Okay. So it IS kinda cheesy, but aren't we all?!?

Cheers!

- -Erik.

------------------------------

Date: 06 Oct 97 16:34:37 +0000
From: lou papineau <lpapineau@phx.com>
Subject: rarities and live album on the way

This just in from Allstar, "the better online music magazine" (so they
say; //allstarmag.com, BTW):

"Caroline Records will be releasing a Ben Folds Five album of rarities
and live tracks, tentatively on Jan. 13. The title and track listing is
still being finalized by the band."

later
lou

"when you dig down deep/you lose good sleep/and it makes you heavy
company" --joni

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 17:31:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: KNULPREK@aol.com
Subject: Video Killed the Radio Star, Skanking, and Ticketmaster

Well, i'll just knock down three things at once..

1. The origional artists of "Video Killed the Radio Star" was the Buggles.
It's on their album "The age of Plastic".. actually, i think that's their
only album.

2. Skanking. See, here's the thing. I'm not usually one for holier-than-you
attitudes, but ska, in my opinion, is an exception. You see, ska's been an
underground and overlooked ("it's too weird. it's got horns, and it sounds
like a circus" was constantly uttered by the mainstream who was too intuned
to the radio and MTV to think for themselves, which i guess dosn't really
apply to a bunch of bff fans, but i'm sure it does apply to some), and now
that it's seeped into the mainstream with skaCORE bands, all these people are
going to shows. And when it comes down to it, they DON'T BELONG THERE.
Period. End of story.

3. Ticketmaster is hell. It really is the most awful thing. I live in
Florida, and tickets come out to $19.00 for the BFF show. Know how that
breaks down?
$2 TM service charge
$8 to Ticketmaster, which they don't tell you about
$3 to The Buzz, the radio station that's sponsoring it
$7 to BFF, which will have to be split between managers and all.
Pretty shitty, huh? It's such a waste to use Ticketmaster. Why BFF did, i
have no idea. Quite a shame.

Anyway, that's my 3 points of interest for now. Thanks. See ya.
 -jason-

Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 17:39:34 -0700
From: gabsey@juno.com (Gaby M FOUNDOUKIS)
Subject: hi bf5 fans...apolige inclosed!!

hello, i'm sorry for the yelling bit i pulled before...sorry guys!!
anyways does anyone know if bf5 is coming to new hampshire or florida?
please privately e-mail me at Gabsey@earthling.net   thanks,
					gaby