Issue #518 - October 8, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest   Wednesday, October 8 1997   Volume 01 : Number 518

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I
will try to help you.

WHEN REPLYING: Please change the subject of your reply to something
pertinent to the message. Don't leave it as "Magical Armchair Digest,
V1 #xxx" unless your mail client won't allow you to change it.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    What people say...
    The Supper Club Show!!
    misheard lyrics
    Yeah, what Jason says!
    << Subject: dr pyser >>
    Where do you get BF5's version of video Killed the Radio Star??!
    The Pina Colada Song
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #517
    Desktop Wallpaper
    Let the music dictate its fans
    Charlotte show
    so many subjects to choose from!
    The El Rey Theatre
    Ben and religion...
    Ben Folds at Livid
    Jewish Ben
    eastern creek...  I HEARD THAT GUY TOO!!!

Date: Mon, 06 Oct 1997 20:42:08 -0400
From: Jessica Brandt <jbrandt@kent.edu>
Subject: What people say...

>Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 17:32:38 -0700
>From: Janet <LemonDrp@pacbell.net>
>Subject: Jed the Fish's Catch of the Day!
>
>Hey--
>She Don't Use Jelly was on KROQ today :)  It was Jed the Fish's Catch of
>the Day introducing listeners to "a band you've probably never heard of,
>the Ben Folds Five".  He also talked about Lounge-A-Palooza, but it was
>really nice to hear them on the radio, since we SoCal-ians hardly ever
>hear them (except on Muzak, they play OAD on Muzak :P).
Does it ever annoy anyone ELSE when a radio DJ refers to BF5 as "THE" ben
fold Five? When they were in cleveland the last time, the stupid DJ
interviewed them and she kept saying it. and of course, she asked "why are
you called five if there are only 3 of you?" grr.

>Whenever I wear my BFF t-shirt, or I talk about them there's this girl
>that ALWAYS makes it a point to laugh and say "I fold ten".  EVERYtime.
I wear the one that has "I was never cool in school...etc" on the back, and
when i was in high school this really annoying kid who had a real annoying
voice always, ALWAYS said "you're right, I DON'T remember you!"
silly.

* My fish's name is Eric.  He is an halibut.     *
*                    o  O  O                     *
*                 ____   o o                     *
*              |\/   o\ Oo                       *
*              |/\____/      (Eric Praline)      *

Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 20:48:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jessica237@aol.com
Subject: The Supper Club Show!!

hiya guys! thanks for the thought fineexampl....but listen to this guys---the
supper club show is 16 and over!! how excited are all of you for me? i'm 16,
so i get to go! i got my tickets the other day through ticketmaster. even
though the ticketmaster website says it's 21 and over for the supper club, i
called the place and they said all concerts there are 16 and over. so i am
psyched up beyond belief. everyone and anyone who is going, please email me
because i want to see what time everyone is getting there or
whatever....alrighty--i'm all ready and counting down the days until the
concert--my third ben folds five show is going to rule!! yah!  --jess

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 21:01:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jessica237@aol.com
Subject: misheard lyrics

i think this has got to be the greatest thing ever...i have sooo many! here
are a few...if anyone wants to tell me some more of theirs and they are too
embarassing to post, then email me:
from the first album--
1) she's whispering to the moon, i hope you don't join you soon. baby balks,
climbs over his soapbox. gray caesar's ghost knows what's best for me
2) you may take this all for granted, you take the motor blocking glass
4) aww...there goes joe camel through again.
5) inter race marriage is not so good
ok, that's it for now, but i have about a trillion others that i would love
to share and discuss...i live for misheard lyrics!! have a nice day.   --jess

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 06 Oct 1997 21:14:03 -0400
From: Jessica Brandt <jbrandt@kent.edu>
Subject: Yeah, what Jason says!

>Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 17:31:49 -0400 (EDT)
>From: KNULPREK@aol.com
>Subject: Video Killed the Radio Star, Skanking, and Ticketmaster
>
>2. Skanking. See, here's the thing. I'm not usually one for holier-than-you
>attitudes, but ska, in my opinion, is an exception. You see, ska's been an
>underground and overlooked ("it's too weird. it's got horns, and it sounds
>like a circus" was constantly uttered by the mainstream who was too intuned
>to the radio and MTV to think for themselves, which i guess dosn't really
>apply to a bunch of bff fans, but i'm sure it does apply to some), and now
>that it's seeped into the mainstream with skaCORE bands, all these people are
>going to shows. And when it comes down to it, they DON'T BELONG THERE.
>Period. End of story.

YES!!! here here!! i agree.

Whoops, isn't that something we're not aupposed to say? well, i agree. Nayh
nayh nayh. I think skaCORE is too overrated. I don't think people
understand what ska is all about, and trad bands can kick RBF's ass any day!

jess

Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 21:19:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: FineExampl@aol.com
Subject: << Subject: dr pyser >>

I seriously doubt Ben wrote theme from dr pyser!!  i have heard that song
before i am SURE of it!!  i have a potographic song memory and i KNOW i've
heard the song BEFORE ben folds!!
if i'm not mistaken, its from a TV show from years back!
Chuck Folds??? maybe you know!  yer still here right??

WHOS GOING TO THE SUPPER CLUB????

always,
John H.     NJ     USA

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 20:36:43 -0400
From: cambot@juno.com (Steve! Seck)
Subject: Where do you get BF5's version of video Killed the Radio Star??!

Huh? Howzabout it? I know it was supposed to be released on a one-hit
wonder album, but I was lucky enough to download a 30 second sound clip
from some web site somewhere. Well, if you know or have it, E-mail me.

Steve!
Cambot@juno.com

Top 5 CDs of the week:
1 - They Might Be Giants - John Henry
2 - Ben Folds Five - Whatever & Ever Amen
3 - Moxy Fruvous - You Will Go to the Moon
4 - Lincoln - Lincoln
5 - Ween - The Mollusk

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 21:51:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: Aaron Jeffrey Gage <agage@us.itd.umich.edu>
Subject: The Pina Colada Song

>Just a few matters I'd like to discuss, the first being
>covers. A few songs I'd like to hear the guys cover are
>
>1)The Penacolada Song (I heard it as a link on Letterman,
>   it's a pretty famous song but I'll be buggered if I can
>   remember the name!)

You don't, by any chance, mean the Pina Colada Song by Rupert Holmes, do
you?  Well, if so, Rupert Holmes is amazing!  Is anyone else here a fan of
his?
Aaron Jeffrey Gage                     http://www-personal.umich.edu/~agage
Life was good.  Then the alarm clock went off.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 21:49:51 -0400
From: aplauri@juno.com (Philip J. L.)
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #517

i got my ypsi tix.........yipppppeeeeeeeeeeee.  i cant
wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

philip

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 06 Oct 1997 22:14:53 -0400
From: Heather Hurwitz <hhurwitz@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu>
Subject: Desktop Wallpaper

Dearest Fivers,

The person who put up the BF5 Wallpaper to decorate your desktop with
deserves major kudos.  It is much better turning on my computer and seeing
Ben rather than clouds.  Thanks.

Heather

"When he launched onto the hood, She stopped to tell him she'd been wrong,
He was thrown head over heels into the traffic coming on, But then all is
fair, all is fair... in love.  ba ba bam ba ba bam ba ba ba babababa bam,
ba ba bam ba ba bam ba ba ba babababa bam, ba ba bam ba ba bam ba ba ba
babababa bam " -Ben Folds Five

get your fill of peanutts on the www:  http://www.cyberdrive.net/~percystar

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 22:12:22 -0400
From: schander@juno.com (joe s schanderson)
Subject: Let the music dictate its fans

I will not bother making much of a comment about the following because I
know many others will.... but again I say
"LET THE MUSIC DICTATE ITS FANS."  Early fans are not special. They just
happened to like a certain band or type of music before it got more
popular. SO WHAT. It happens to us all.

> and now
>that SKA is  seeping into the mainstream with skaCORE bands, all these
people are
>going to shows. And when it comes down to it, they DON'T BELONG THERE.
>Period. End of story.

I hope so.

joe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 06 Oct 1997 22:35:17 -0400
From: Ryan W Swindells <rswindells@clemson.campus.mci.net>
Subject: Charlotte show

I was wondering if anyone knew how I could get tickets to the show in
Charlotte on Oct 17 at the Tremont Music Hall.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Ryan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 22:09:55 -0500 (CDT)
From: Skip Allums <mallums@tiger.lsuiss.ocs.lsu.edu>
Subject: so many subjects to choose from!

	greetingssalutationshowdyhiyahellowhattupyobeeotchhellothere,

 the Armchair certainly has been interesting lately, hasn't it? what with
all the moshing posts and gaby's yellin' and <videokilledtheradiostar> and
the show reviews....
 thanx so much for the show reviews... they're very interesting to those
of us who won't be seeing the BFF for a while (i'm way down in Baton
Rouge, LA, and the current leg of the tour is coming exactly NOWHERE NEAR
my residence).

 here's another fact about The Buggles and the wonderful song the boys
have been covering (i thought it was cool to hear how they do it, since
i've been covering that song (on acoustic guitar) at bars sometimes...
before i heard that BFF did it).... ANYWAY, the Buggles went on to form
Yes... and one of them formed Asia, and he's now a producer or something
in the recording business.

 i recently figgered out the chord progression to "Evaporated." if anyone
would like to learn it, i'd be happy to send the progression. (it is for
guitar... not piano, but you could probably use it to git the piano chords
too).

 okay... that's what i had to report.

OH YEAH! i updated my webpage. stop in, have a root beer, enjoy the
scenery. (in english) "go see my webpage, please."

lovey dovey,
skip

Skip Allums... Protector of the Pink Jelly Beans, Founder of the OOTI
(Organization Of the Truly Insane), and President of Skipland.
                Beatles Fan... Root Beer Man.
        "Gloria in Vanillum" (glory to vanilla)
        "qui me amat, amat et canem meam"  (love me, love my dog)
mallums@tiger.lsu.edu                www.angelfire.com/mi/mwa3/index.html

    "I soiled my armor I was so scared!" -Sir Robin, Monty Python's Holy Grail
  "You were in a car crash, and you lost your hair." -Ringo <Don't Pass Me By>
			                          the Beatles (White Album)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 06 Oct 1997 20:26:20 -0700
From: Janet <LemonDrp@pacbell.net>
Subject: The El Rey Theatre

Hey--
It seems that Ben Folds Five is coming to L.A. to the El Rey Theatre.
Anyone have experiences there?  I've never been there and the El Rey has
no idea about anything (I called them).  I heard there were age limits
and I heard otherwise.  I'm confused.  If they're 18+, do you think
they'll mind someone who's 17 and 3/4?
Help.

I've been posting a lot about "She Don't Use Jelly" and I've got more.
If you haven't noticed (and if you have you're quite smart) but Darren
sings the first verse, Rob the second, and Ben the third (if I've
misheard, correct me).  So for those of you that haven't been acquainted
to Rob and Darren's individual voices, this is the song to listen to.
Lounge-A-Palooza comes out tomorrow and I'm excited :)

Take care.
Janet.
- --
Free Napkins --> http://members.tripod.com/~peachfish/sparkie.htm

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 00:04:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: Rebecca.Cole@mail.cc.trincoll.edu
Subject: Ben and religion...

Here's an informal but perhaps semi-comprehensive listing of all BF5
religious references.

JEWISH
Hava Nagila cover
Steven's Last Night In Town (use of Klezmatics, Yiddish in the bridge)

CHRISTIAN
OAD "mom said by christmas I would have..."
Brick "6 am, day after christmas...sell some gifts that I got..."
there's another reference to christmas on an unreleased track whose name
I can't remember...

SATANIST
Satan Is My Master
hand signs in concert

So...the band condones both Judaism and Christianity, and the inverse of
the latter? Wassup with that? I guess they're equal opportunity.

I'm still curious, though, because one of my friends wouldn't listen to
my argument that Ben is probably Christian because of all of the Xmas
references. She says he was selling his gifts because he was Jewish and
he didn't want the stinky ol' Christmas presents. I think she was just
trying to spite me, though, which is completely in character.

I get paid for lovin',
Rebby

PS- and what about Kate handing out the bhavagad vita? hmmmm...

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 14:27:19 +1000 (EST)
From: M.Townsley@hum.gu.edu.au (Michael Townsley)
Subject: Ben Folds at Livid

Sarah wrote:

>        Well it's finally happened:
>1/ I'm no longer just an armchair lurker
>2/ more importantly, I SAW BEN, DARREN & ROBERT AT LIVID!!!!!!

Livid was such a special day for me, as it ws the first time I really got to
see the guys play. I felt like a 14 year old again, the excitement of seeing
a band you love so much.

>        Terribly pissed that they only played for 35mins but I guess that's
>better than none.

The set was short, way too short. But they could play for two hours and I
would still think it short.

The show was awesome. Ben certainly knew how to play the crowd. I was very
fortunate to be in direct sight of his hands. I was thrilled, his hands were
a blur of a blur. My only disappointment was the moshing. It distracted me
and I don't like having my focus taken away from the band. I was there to
see Ben and the boys, not to worry about people stamping my foot. I don't
mind pogo stick dancing so much, but the pushing and swaying annoyed me
because my sight was taken away from the guys.

>Ben got up to his usual antics and was a true showman but I thought he would
>have talked a little more (at one stage he turned to the crowd and gave
>everyone the finger ~ I have know idea whether this was in jest or if he
>actually thought the crowd deserved it. I have a feeling that they cut their
>act short because they weren't exactly having a good time ~ just a hunch
>anyway).

Actually you propably didn't fully understand this because you were so far
up the front. There were people crowd surfing and getting up on bogey boards
and doing stuff to the crowd.  One fellow got up and stayed up for a while
and gave Ben the finger. He (Ben) kept playing and smiling and just as the
twit fell off Ben gave him the finger. Most of the crowd thought he that was
awesome.

The guys seemed to be having a pretty good time, but I was wondering why
they didn't play their whole 45 mins.

>        I'm not sure but I think Kate was just off to the right of the stage
>filming most of the set and there was a pretty big crowd of ppl (including
>the guys from Cake) gathering on the other side of the stage rocking away
>with the BFF boys.  And rock they did!!  All in all I am so stoked to have
>FINALLY seen the boys :)

I saw the lead singer (of Cake) take a photo of the crowd and I jumped up
and got in (I think). I'm sure he'll cherish it.

My personal highlight was the extra bits of Dr Pryser's. It was excellent.

I am so glad that I have seen the man play, but won't stop yearning until I
see a full concert.

MT

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 23:45:23 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Edward A. Weinstein" <wein0047@gold.tc.umn.edu>
Subject: Jewish Ben

Ben and I discussed this once before, and while he is not of the Hebrew
persuasion (sorry Aimee), he has relatives who are, which pretty much
explains it.

Ed
(possibly the only person in the world who fully appreciates both "Hava
Nagila" and "Kane Kaese")

Edward A. Weinstein      			   wein0047@gold.tc.umn.edu

 		     "It's all part of the curse..."

Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 20:03:48 +1000
From: Rainy City <ad@healey.com.au>
Subject: eastern creek...  I HEARD THAT GUY TOO!!!

Hi Ben, Hi all,

>From: Ben Hodson <<benh@powerup.com.au>

>philopsophy, I can't remember what else but it was a great show! This guy

>behind me in the pit said that it was one of the best acts he had  ever

>seen (and he had seen Pearl Jam at Easter Creek, I think thats what he

>said).

   I heard that guy too.  He had a new bff shirt on and he was just over awed!!!  :)  I was in fiornt of hi too, right next to the fence...  I was actually doing my shoes up after being in the pit and nearly losing them.  I think I had a dave matthews band shirt on and I nearly bumped into this short girl that I didn't seen and her bf who was also short.  :)  Anyone see me? :)

BYE!!!

Ad.

&                    Ironside                     &

&      <italic>"...the 17th best band in the world"       </italic>&

& http://www.healey.com.au/HomePages/ad/ironside/ &