Issue #519 - October 8, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest   Wednesday, October 8 1997   Volume 01 : Number 519

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I
will try to help you.

WHEN REPLYING: Please change the subject of your reply to something
pertinent to the message. Don't leave it as "Magical Armchair Digest,
V1 #xxx" unless your mail client won't allow you to change it.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    ben sticking his finger up at livid.
    bad trader update
    BFF on Rage
    BFF on Rage
    The REAL origin of Video Killed The Radio Stars
    BFF Sydney concerts
    who picks the venues?
    Sydney Uni concert among other things
    Too much bitching
    Escape/Lounge
    Eddie Walker this is your life
    Video Killed the Radio Star
    Name That Tune
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #515
    Re: Why ticketmaster
    KCRW radio show...
    dr pyser

Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 20:13:57 +1000
From: Rainy City <ad@healey.com.au>
Subject: ben sticking his finger up at livid.

>Ben got up to his usual antics and was a true showman but I thought he would

>have talked a little more (at one stage he turned to the crowd and gave

>everyone the finger ~ I have know idea whether this was in jest or if he

>actually thought the crowd deserved it. I have a feeling that they cut their

>act short because they weren't exactly having a good time ~ just a hunch

>anyway).

   Yeah, IO saw that too...  The reason Ben stuck his finger up is coz that guy that was standing on the body board on top of the crowd behind you was stcking his finger up at ben.  I just wanted to shout out something, but the guy was obviously a prick and didn;t need to be told.  :)

BYE!!!

Ad.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

&                    Ironside                     &

&      <italic>"...the 17th best band in the world"       </italic>&

& http://www.healey.com.au/HomePages/ad/ironside/ &

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 Oct 97 10:06:56 EDT
From: "Jason Kilts" <Jason.Kilts@css.unc.edu>
Subject: bad trader update

I just wanted to add to my story in which I had warned about the trader at
this address:
<holmstd@ssu.southwest.msus.edu>
  Dave has emailed me back.  He was entirely apologetic, as it was a
University housing problem.  That doesn't mean he shouldn't have just used my
home address, email address, or phone number to let me know, but he IS sending
me my return tape.
  He is now honoring his end of the trade, and he has his network and stereo
access back, so I just wanted to tell everyone that he did not leave the trade
completely open-ended.
Jason Kilts

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 23:17:34 +1000
From: Anna <z2211303@pop3.student.unsw.edu.au>
Subject: BFF on Rage

Hey people,

        Anyway, I know "BECK" had already posted something similar. But
anyway here goes:

        I e-mailed the ABC about them televising the Rugby Finals in NSW and
how I missed all the Ben Folds Five video clips. I wrote to them how I
missed them and how I really wanted to see them and I asked if they could
possibly repeat the first part of RAGE which included the Ben Folds special
in the near future.

        Anyway, I received a reply today from the Program Assistant and it
said that Ben Folds Five will be guest programming Rage which will include
most of their videos, as well as their own choice in music.

        So Aussies out there, be sure to stay up and watch RAGE.

        Also, there is a small article on Ben Folds Five in this weeks Who
magazine.

        Well, seeya all.

                Anna B

**** CAN'T WAIT 'TILL THE MAGNIFICENT TRIO COME BACK DOWN UNDER!!!****

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 10:10:33 -0400
From: vanvalnc@is2.nyu.edu (Chris Van Valen)
Subject: The REAL origin of Video Killed The Radio Stars

>Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 23:30:00 -0400 (EDT)
>From: JohnH1968@aol.com
>Subject: Re: video killed the radio star
>Why, that would be The Buggles, the very epitome of one-hit wonder-dom.

Actually, that's the version that you all are probably familiar with, but
the Buggles didn't do the original version of "Video Killed..." The song
was originally done by a highly unsuccessful band called Bruce Woolley and
the Camera Club.

CV

If you have an unpleasant nature and dislike people
this is no obstacle to work. -- J.G. Bennett

Catch "Forever Knight" on the Sci-Fi Channel every
Mon-Thurs at 9PM and 1AM EDT. -- Lucien LaCroix

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 07:15:36 PDT
From: "Flying Nun" <humperdinck@hotmail.com>
Subject: BFF Sydney concerts

hi, new person here.

I was expecting a bombardment of emails on this list, but anyhue, what's
there to chat about since they've been here the last couple of weeks.

BFF's two shows in Sydney were the best gigs I had ever been to.
although most of the attention was quite understandably lavished on
Folds, I cannot for the life of me see how they can possibly be a band
without the other two that make the five.  Darren Jessee blew me away
with his drumming - I've never seen such pain on a person's face (and it
was a good thing!).  I don't quite know what other details I could give
anyone about the concerts without blubbering, but i'd be happy to answer
questions (if people don't ignore me, AND if I get the whole list thing
right)

Being a first-time listee, i've read the tips on what to do on these
things, but if i'm bothering anyone with useless info, please tell me.

I was also lucky enough to score some pics of the band when they did a
lunchtime appearance for HMV music.  would anyone like to chuck a
swapsies?  I actually haven't seen the pics yet (still waiting), if
theyr'e terrible, I'll say.

thanks, bye
Que Minh

Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 07:45:28 PDT
From: "cynthia wang" <lemur2000@hotmail.com>
Subject: who picks the venues?

Hi y'all,

I'm NOT in the music biz, so please don't write-off these questions for
those who may think they are naive or simplistic, but how do bands such
as BFF coordinate who sells their tickets, and does that arrangement
affect the choice of venues at which they play, or vice versa? Jason
(KNULPREK@aol.com) had asked in Armchair #517 why BFF had chosen
TicketMaster as an agent.

In Armchair #516, Lee (Lee_Swartz@Sonymusic.Com) posted:
>To Josh & anyone else who chooses to bitch about TicketMaster,...
>I don't work for T.M. nor do I give a rats ass how you get your
tickets,and really I should keep my nose in my own business, but you do
have options. If you want to boycott T.M., do so, just don't use their
service and then bitch about it. it got old two years ago and it's still
old.

Whoa there! Lee, judging by your return address, maybe you help can
answer my previous questions for this post. But as far as using
TicketMaster to bitch about it, I had simply said earlier that I hadn't
used TM in ages and was surprised by the high fees. You mean I can't
express surprise? That's called "bitching"?! Also, you appear, on the
contrary, to give a rat's ass about how people get their tickets. You
mention options...can you suggest some for people who live an hour or
more away from their nearest venue and may not have a chance to go to
the box office? It's easy to suggest going to the B.O. when you live in
a major metro area.

OK, Lee, everyone, sorry for the long post,
Cynthia

Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 00:31:55 +1000
From: "Lisa Csillag" <ac@tig.com.au>
Subject: Sydney Uni concert among other things

Hey everyone!!

This is my first post, I've kinda been lurking around for a while, but some
of you know me through email :) My name's Lisa, I'm from Sydney, and yes, I
made it to the sydney uni gig which I'm not sure anyone has given a review
of... I don't want to clog up the Chair with my ramblings (I could go on
forever), so if you want to hear the details of the truly awesome concert
and, hear my own BFF story, mail me privately and I'll get back to you :)

Being my first post, this is gonna have to be something special, and so
(prepare to sigh in relief) it can't have anything to do with moshing,
what's in my cd changer, or what Brick is really about. Wait. No! That
leaves me with nothing to talk about! Oh, except maybe whether or not BFF
will be coming to certain states in america for which there have previously
been no tour dates released. *grin* I might as well take this time to
mention that, I was wearing my t-shirt out at martin place, which is where
they played a free concert about a week ago for all the business people
eating lunch, and these three guys in business suits walked up and started
talking to me about the band :) it was great, the free concert definitely
did something as far attracting new fans.

Woah, this is getting pretty long :)
Oh, and if anyone could tell me anything about the concert at the metro on
sunday which I unfortunately couldn't go to, please mail me!!
Ok then, til later
*lisa*

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 11:34:57 EDT
From: sandishortcake@juno.com
Subject: Too much bitching

Okay, I haven't posted on the 'chair for a while, and it's because I have
been so annoyed by the posts lately...all this shit about to mosh or not
to mosh, etc.  Back in the day the Armchair was a friendly place...and
now we have people bitching about others typing in all caps (who cares)
and bitching about Ticketmaster and then bitching about people bitching
about Ticketmaster.  Is this a list for habitual complainers or is it
about Ben Folds Five?  I can't tell anymore.  And we wonder why we've
lost so many subscribers?  Doesn't take a genius to figure it out...

Sandi

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 07:02:28 PDT
From: "One Angry.Dwarf" <one_angry_dwarf@hotmail.com>
Subject: Escape/Lounge

Hello, Collective!

"Escape (Pina Colada Song)" is by Rupert Holmes, and would be an
EXCELLENT song for Ben and the boys to cover!

and,

the Lounge-a-paluza (whatever) CD should be in stores today!

Russell

"You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are
what you pretend to be." --Kurt Vonnegut, "Mother Night"

Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 09:36:18 -0700
From: "Beard, Brad C." <BRADLEE.C.BEARD@cpmx.mail.saic.com>
Subject: Eddie Walker this is your life

I groove on both the commercially released cd's
But i got this Pop tape form a guy in Nashville and it has Ben Fold's
demos from Nashville before BF5.
Anyway,there is this amazing song of his "Eddie Walker, this is your
life"

Anyone know if he still plays it or ever plans to release it.
I think it's the best thing he has done.
Sincere and not smarmy, great song

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 13:14:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: marc s kaplan <mkap@wam.umd.edu>
Subject: Video Killed the Radio Star

Bff of course covers it much better than the bugles did it in the first
place, of course me being a bff fan and not a bugles fan I guess makes me
somewhat bias.

			-/\/\arc

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 Oct 97 01:20:16 -0500
From: Michael Bluejay <bluejay@pobox.com>
Subject: Name That Tune

Josh wrote:

 >>Ticket Master is the biggest bullshit...

Lee Swartz replied:

 >nice grammer

I reply:

 Nice spelling. It's "grammar", not "grammer".

Anyway, to keep this on topic, um, at my last show, people were calling
out songs they wanted us to play, and so I said, "Okay, I'm gonna play
something, and whoever can identify it gets to pick the next song."  I
started playing "One Angry Dwarf", and after just the first few notes,
lots of people shouted out "Ben Folds Five!" and "One Angry Dwarf and the
SomethingOrOther!"  Wow!  It's so cool that people actually (finally)
recognize BF5 music these days.  Anyway, I guess I'm gonna have to make
my "Name That Tune" contests a little harder...

- -- Michael Bluejay (Austin, TX)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 13:11:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: marc s kaplan <mkap@wam.umd.edu>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #515

Jon wrote:
- ->maybe somebody should tell Gabby to yell at all the people that
- ->"unsubscribe" to the actual list and tell them in ALL CAPS where they
- ->should send their mail

- ->- -again, just a thought

- ->- -jon

- ->Boy I've posted a lot lately

Thats a good point.  People c'mon read the begining of every single
message you get from the armchair, and if you still don't know how to
unscubscribe, then we
"will have tommy hit you on the head with a tack-hammer
because you are a RETARD" (tommy boy 1995)

				-/\/\arc

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 15:21:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brad654@aol.com
Subject: Re: Why ticketmaster

<< Pretty shitty, huh? It's such a waste to use Ticketmaster. Why BFF did, i
 have no idea. Quite a shame. >>

I think the fact that Pearl Jam got their asses handed to them when they
tried to a) stage a tour without TM and b) fight TM's monopoly on Capitol
Hill, only to have the lawmakers tell them there was no monopoly might have
something to do with BF5's decision.

Regardless of what some congressional subcommitee says is or is not a
monopoly, I think the utter failure of PJ's Tickmaster-less tour is a
testament to that monopoly. BF5 chose TM, likely, because they couldn't
afford a tour debacle like PJ had.

Brad

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 15:37:41 -0400
From: Carrie Shanafelt <cds9@po.cwru.edu>
Subject: KCRW radio show...

I looked up the 1995 Morning Becomes Eclectic radio show with BFF yesterday
- -- It's quite interesting... Here's this stick-up-his-butt type (who
obviously sees genius in the band) trying to urge out of them some deep,
meaningful interview material about theories behind the music, etc., and
getting Ben's classic "duh?" humor and practical views on the music -- also
kinda cool to hear what they had to say about the band in its pre-"Battle
of Who Could Care Less" popularity stages... look it up at
<http://www.liveconcerts.com/listening/kcrw/>!
Carrie

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 22:26:15 +0200
From: janis <jdavis@online.no>
Subject: dr pyser

here is my take on the Theme from Dr. Pyser:  the word "pyser" means
sissies in norwegian.  that much i know for sure as i speak norwegian.  it
is my recollection that they were doing a show in norway, said they played
punk rock for sissies and the crowd began shouting, "pyser, pyser, pyser"
at them.  i believe i read that on the list a few months ago.   perhaps
there is more to the story?

janis