Issue #525 - October 11, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest   Saturday, October 11 1997   Volume 01 : Number 525

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I
will try to help you.

WHEN REPLYING: Please change the subject of your reply to something
pertinent to the message. Don't leave it as "Magical Armchair Digest,
V1 #xxx" unless your mail client won't allow you to change it.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Lounge-A-Palooza
    oops
    Re: Ben kissed me
    BFF-The Greatest
    << From: Rebecca.Cole@mail.cc.trincoll.edu
    Trying to open for Ben Folds Five
    Chicago or Bust!
    Check this out...
    Armchair Archive
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #524
    my incredible Brick experience
    Ticketmaster & Moshing

Date: Thu, 09 Oct 1997 19:30:11 -0500
From: Pluvius Dope <Policy@Mobsters.com>
Subject: Lounge-A-Palooza

I dont know who was spouting off at the mouth about waiting for the B-Side
release of "She Don't Use Jelly", but this song is the greatest song in the
history of the universe, and is well worth whatever you pay for the Cd,
even if you pay $87.00 at Nutbuster music. This song is so great that new
civilization will pop up using this song as their god. This song will
instantly give you 871 IQ points just by listening to it. Not only is it
beautiful, but the recording is just incredible, compared to what Radio vik
had up on his site, this song sounds like it was recorded on Platinum, not
even gold (Although I dont think that platinum is malleable enough to
record on). I urge everyone with an ounce of sense to go buy this album
immediately, steal it, rob a bank, do what it takes to add this incredible
epiphany of Ben Folds into your collection!

ACT NOW!

Pluvius Dope

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 14:42:43 +1300
From: "Krista Toupin O'Reilly" <galatea@innocent.com>
Subject: oops

sorry about sending an html mssg last time; i didn't realize  I was...
that's all!

- -krista
- --
When we stop growing, we start dying.

			-William S. Burroughs

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Oct 1997 21:12:33 -0500
From: Matthew Alan Moberly <mmoberly@expert.cc.purdue.edu>
Subject: Re: Ben kissed me

Ben didn't actually kiss me, but I'd lose readers with a less atypical
subject.
Shara, if no one who moshes would subscribe to this list, why is there
an argument to begin with?
This is one of those arguments which will never be settled because by
now no one reads through any posts related to moshing but the people who
wrote them. Kind of like arguments about why Brad Pitt is/is not cool.
No one will budge, so pardon my french and shut up about it!

Also, to that guy who posted to show off his cleverness to his girl, try
to keep it short next time, seeing as no one cares.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 12:21:47 +1000
From: Nick Memmott <ncmem@one.net.au>
Subject: BFF-The Greatest

Ok

This is my first post. Like many others, I have been lurking and not
posting, so I have decided to come out of the closet and admit to all on
the Armchair that I am a *HUGE* Ben Folds Five fan.
       It's great that the guys could do such a great tour round Aus, as
many good bands don't venture down here until they are well established.
The great thing about the band is their reaction to the fans. They are so
GREAT! From reading posts, and talking to friends it seems like everywhere
that they go they are really approachable and are happy to meet people and
sign autographs and stuff, which is the sign of a really great band.
       Well, moving on. I was fortunate enough to see them in their Martin
Place concert in Sydney which was free. Yeah, yeah, I know what you're
thinking. Free = bad.  But it actually wasn't. Quite a good crowd turned up
for something that wasn't HUGELY advertised, and everyone remained, despite
the rain!
       You could tell I was one of the obsessed crazy fans, as I arrived at
the venue at 9 a.m. (wagging school to be there), even though it didn't
start until 1 p.m. Most people didn't start turning up until around midday,
but there were a few hardy groupies hangin round with me.
       The concert was only about 30 mins long, with only 5 songs, but hey,
it was FREE. Even though it was their first performance of the tour (and
first in months Ben mentioned) they really seemed to be clicking. There was
a bit of moshing, but not much.
        Despite the short length, I got what I wanted - to meet the guys
and get autographs. It was surprisingly easy, I just turned up to the early
sound check (my advice to all hopefuls - TURN UP EARLY) and then later
stood by the stage entrance ( I can't understand why nobody else did). They
are REALLY cool guys. Anyway, everything Jocelyn said in #521 was pretty
mich right, and I am now kicking myself for not attending the Uni, Metro,
or Livid concerts. AAHHH well.
         Anyway, I've wasted enough space. Just wanted to say how good the
Five are, and what great people they are too. (talk to them - they are
heaps cool!). Mail me if u want.

CYa ,    Nick

* Has boxing been good, to you?? *

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 22:28:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: FineExampl@aol.com
Subject: << From: Rebecca.Cole@mail.cc.trincoll.edu

 Dr Pyser is an original Ben Folds Five song. Finexampl, you may have a
 "photographic" mind (not sure how that relates to audio, but whateer) but
 it's an original, written in the style of a cheesy 70s drama theme song.
 I have found no proof that there was ever a show, movie, filmstrip,
 whatever, called Dr Pyser. The fact that it sounds familiar shows that
 Ben and co. achieved their goal, which is apparently a pastiche 70s theme
 song. I love that people think it's real...I bet Ben would love it too.
 They succeeded.

GAWD....cant ANYONE take a JOKE?!?!?   i have never been hollored at like
this since i dumped my fat assed ex!!
sheesh!
in any matter...WHO really cares if i'm wrong?
I HAVE TICKETS and many of you dont!!  SO hahahahahahahaha!
sorry, i shouldnt gloat....but oh well!
full report will be posted on my web site as soon as the show is over!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Oct 97 22:03:28 -0500
From: Michael Bluejay <bluejay@pobox.com>
Subject: Trying to open for Ben Folds Five

Just thought I'd let everyone know that I'm in the middle of what will
probably be another unsuccessful attempt to have my band open for BF5
when they play here in Austin at the end of November.  Neither the club
nor BF5's management will return my phone call, faxes, or emails.  Maybe
I should take a hint, but I'm not gonna give up until they say "no".  I
don't see why we *couldn't* open for BF5... we're a popular band in this
area, and I daresay that we'd go over a lot better than Komeda.  (Not to
slight Komeda, it's just that we tend to get crowds a little more
excited.)  Tomorrow I'm gonna start a write-in campaign:  I'm gonna hand
out a bunch of postcards that say "I'd like to see King Cheese open for
Ben Folds Five", pre-addressed to the local club, and ask folks to send
them in.  Maybe I should have the postcards sent to BF5's PO box listed
on the CD's, but I have to pick one address so I guess I'll pick the
club.  I'd ask you all to help me, but it wouldn't really be fair since
you haven't heard my band unless you live in Austin.  Anyway, I'm just
kind of bummed at how unsuccessful I've been in this endeavor so far, and
who else can I share my grief with besides you fellow BF5 fans? :-)

Oh, also, I found out today that one of my musician friends (Pam Mayo)
also has a piano tattoo.  It's a flaming (i.e., on fire) grand piano.
Maybe we'll have to start a club.

 -- Michael Bluejay (Austin, TX)

  http://pobox.com/bluejay  | Home of AUSTIN MUSIC, KING CHEESE,

Date: Thu, 09 Oct 1997 21:20:11 -0500
From: "Scott A. Schneider" <echo@msn.globaldialog.com>
Subject: Chicago or Bust!

Dear people,

I would very much appreciate if someone could direct me (with somewhat
accurate directions so that I am not found to be lost in downtown Chicago)
to the Vic Theater for the show on the 30th?  Even directions to an el and
which stop to get off of and where to go from there would work... just
anywhere that I'll have guaranteed parking since I'll be cutting it close on
making it on time in the first place.

Oh, and are we doing the nametag thing at all this time?  It was tried last
time, and I met a total of two (though they were very charming!!) people...
anyone care to make a better result this time through?

Anyway, c-ya there.

scott

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Oct 1997 23:38:03 -0400
From: "John E. Fahey" <jfahey@cyberportal.net>
Subject: Check this out...

I was skimming through Billboard Online's site and came across this,
thought it pretty cool:
The martini nation and the Smartdrink nation collide on Hollywood
Records' "Lounge-A-Palooza," with mixed results. The best: Ben Folds
Five's brilliant, swinging version of Flaming Lips' "She Don't Use
Jelly" and Pizzicato Five's schizophrenic "The Girl From Ipanema." The
worst: a monotonous orchestral version of Soundgarden's "Black Hole
Sun." Noteven Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme can lend style to this
insipid song.
By the way, could someone post (once again) the address of the RealAudio
version of "She Don't Use Jelly"?

cheers,
john

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 23:56:59 -0400 (EDT)
From: BlueJellow@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #523

Hey Fivers,

I really don't think that his music has so much religious meaning, but
everyone wants to know what religion Ben practices.  Well, I've been thinking
for awhile that he could be a Hindu like Kate (she passes around a Bhadavad
Gita- Hindu sacred text), he could be Jewish like his relatives, or he could
be Christian or Muslim. But if you really want to know just ask him at one of
his concerts. Everyone is always talking about how much they talk to Ben.
Just ask him. I bet he'll tell you.  Maybe it's that he doesn't really have a
religion, but doesn't deny the presence of G-d.  It doesn't really matter.
 That's all I have to say, except that I think that BFF music is so beautiful
and classical and that the same time so punk and folk that it is so
unmoshable.  Well, when I'm trying to explain who these kids are, I am asked
what type of music it is, and I'm like dumbfounded. It's in a kick-ass class
by itself!!! I love Ben Fold's Five with my soul, and all my upperclassmen
friends are bragging that they are going to the Birmingham concert and I'm so
fucking mad.  They are like, I can't wait Lucy. It's so funny that you can't
go. I'm like, fuck you guys. They promised to take pics for me.  Well, until
next time:

Lucy Robinson
Anti-mosher extraordinaire,

"Ride to live, relax, and um...biggie fry!!!"- Ben Folds [in an interview
questioning his philosophy]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 21:07:41 -0700
From: qreeus@uclink4.berkeley.edu (Nathan Gunn)
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #524

I've seen a few conflicting posts concerning the dates of some West Coast
shows and I've looked into them and found that it seems like none of the
West Coast dates have been confirmed.  Can someone please tell me exactly
what is going on with the West Coast?  Are they confirmed anywhere yet?
Frank, do you have some input?
  Swingfully,
    Nathan

                                   ***********

"I don't trust anybody's nostalgia but my own.  Nostalgia is a product of
dissatisfaction and rage.  It's a settling of grievances between the
present and the past.  The more powerful the nostalgia, the closer you come
to violence.  War is the form nostalgia takes when men are hard-pressed to
say something good about their country."
                            -- Don DeLillo

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Oct 1997 21:46:46 PDT
From: "Sarah Stokes" <willowblossom@hotmail.com>
Subject: Armchair Archive

Hi All :}

My hard drive committed suicide last week, and I lost everything 8-{, so
I am looking for the address for the Armchair Archive that was mentioned
recently. If someone could email me the address, I would be SOOOO
grateful :}

Thanks,
Sarah ;p

willowblossom@hotmail.com
titania@cybergal.com

"Behold the Turtle. He makes progress
only when he sticks his neck out."

Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 00:44:15 -0500
From: john_oc@juno.com

Hmmm...I haven't noticed this debate, but I was shocked at the knocking
of Brad.

I am a college DJ as many of you know by now, and I got to interview Brad
on air during their last trip through Columbus.  They are very nice guys,
and seeing them live later that night, whilst I wasn't an instant fan,
they are very talented.  Several songs on "Interiors" has piano,
including the single.  They were certainly discovered because of Pearl
Jam, but that is just why they are on Epic and not on say, Mercury or
Island.  They are definately major label material.  Despite of the fact
that they may have bad mouthed BFF, they are still entitled to an
opinion.

If you want to talk about bands signed from affiliation, you should have
mentioned That Dog! which is only signed because the singer-girl's father
is a high-up at DGC.

Also, you may not like Foo Fighters, and I do not as well, but they are
definately a major label talent.  Kurt's death may have helped, but they
deserve to be there.  Nate Mendel is an excellent bass player, and Dave
Grohl once took lessons from Taylor Hawkins on drums whilst still in
Nirvana, when Taylor was drumming for Alanis(sick!).  The Foo Fighters,
while I don't like them because of their inability to be very original,
are a very talented group of musicians, and deserve to be where they are.

Do your homework!

Okay...here is my CD player, now I am going to go hide in my room some
more.

Belle and Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister
Pedro The Lion - Whole EP
Sebadoh - Bakesale
Bis - This is Teen-C Power EP
Matthew Sweet - 100% Fun
Spectrum - Forever Alien
BabyBird - Ugly Beautiful(WONDERFUL ALBUM!!!!!!!!)

If you like Belle and Sebastian you will LOVE BabyBird

John Boyer
WOBN-FM 101.5 the ROCK    Columbus, Ohio
Asst. Music Director, Triple A Dir. and Research Dir.
Email: John_OC@juno.com   Phone: (614) 823-2969
"Call it what you want, you'll never fool anyone with what you've got."
- --Luxury

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Oct 1997 23:34:05 PDT
From: "Petra Starke" <naturalselection@hotmail.com>
Subject: my incredible Brick experience

Yessssssss!! Petra finally owns a copy of WEAEA!!! And I finally heard
Brick!!

Ok, so unwilling as I am to enter this discussion about which is better,
Brick or Dumped, I am going to have to put in my two cents because, well
everyone else on this damn mailing list has and I'm a newcomer to the
second album. So put up with it. (please)

As much as Song For the Dumped absolutely completely rocks (a moshing
song if ever I heard one...oooh, now I'm being controversial) I have to
agree with the Brick-ers on this one. Brick is (I wont say 'clearly',
although I'm implying it) a superior song. As soon as I heard the first
note I had to sit down, i was overcome with emotion. I cried all the way
through it, lsitened to it 6 times in a row and am still crying. This
song is one of the most beautiful works I've ever heard in my life, and
Ben should be commended for its creation.

I'm not interested in what it's 'about', i think that discussing that
kind of detracts from the beauty of the song - let it be 'about'
whatever you want it to be 'about'. You don't even have to pay attention
to the subject of this song to let it affect you, just listen to it.

So, thankyou for putting up with this resurrection of a somewhat dormant
topic, I hope others out there have been as affected by Brick as I have.

Cheers,

Petra

PS: this may be a dumb question - but where does the quote "shit yeah
it's cool" come from?

PPS: this may be an old question - but who is that on the 'bonus track'?
pretty hilarious, that!

Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 02:49:55 -0400
From: Steffen Donath <SDonath@compuserve.com>
Subject: Ticketmaster & Moshing

Hi everyone!

It was really nice to read everybody bitching about (Satan is my)
Ticketmaster. But enough is enough. If you really want to go on rambling
about them join another forum for that purpose. The Magical Armchair is
about BFF and not about some cheesy ticket sellers. Apart from that, there
are also a lot of people on the Armchair that (like me) live outside the US
and are fighting the Battle of who could care less about this subject.

And about the Moshing discussion:

I am really glad the we don't have this problem here in Europe. I have only
seen Moshers at Heavy Metal or Punk concerts. Certainly not at the BFF
shows that I have been to. And if I ever see one of these idiots at a BFF
show I will definetely kick him in the.......!!! Trust me!

That my 2 cents for today.

And now for some pathetic self promotion:

Visit my BFF webpage: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/SDonath

Bye

Steffen

...cos I love to mix in circles, cliques and social coteries...that's me!!!