Issue #531 - October 14, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest   Tuesday, October 14 1997   Volume 01 : Number 531

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I
will try to help you.

CHAIN LETTERS AND OTHER GARBAGE POSTS
    Please do not post chain letters (or anything not relating to Ben
Folds Five). They are off topic, as is any discussion of them.
    Apologies for the very large issue 529, and apologies to anyone
whose mailer couldn't handle it. (I received several bounces from Juno
addresses.) This was the result of someone replying and quoting the
entire digest in doing so. If you missed it, check the Magical Archive
(http://oeonline.com/bff/list/) in a couple days.
    Please keep all posts on topic of Ben Folds Five only!

BOUNCE, BOUNCE, BOUNCE
    I have been getting a lot of bounced digests lately, many due to
full mailboxes (but for other reasons as well). In a few days I will
begin weeding out any subscribers whose mail consistently bounces. If you
find yourself unsubscribed, this may be why.

WHEN REPLYING: Please change the subject of your reply to something
pertinent to the message. Don't leave it as "Magical Armchair Digest,
V1 #xxx" unless your mail client won't allow you to change it.

    Pearl Jam and BF5
    Re: bff-pj
    She don't use jelly
    [none]
    bff-pj
    ben, letters and pants, oh my!
    Roommate Joy
    Travis
    Re: Crapola
    Slight correction to "Brick"
    Re: BFF-PJ
    re: pluvius dope

Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 20:16:00 -0400
From: Jessica Brandt <jbrandt@kent.edu>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #526

>Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 07:41:22 -0700
>From: "Kamp, Marcus S" <Marcus.Kamp@PSS.Boeing.com>
>Subject: Liz's Fair Chicken Squawks
>
>2 of my roommates are married (to each other).  Chris (the male) calls
>Traci (the female) "chicken" (a play on the derogatory "chick", I
>suppose).  The 1st time we all heard "Fair" together we, too, did the
>chicken squawk vocals.  I personally was reminded of Gonzo's ladychicken
>(Esmerelda?) from the Muppet Show.  I could just envision a field full

Just for the record, Gonzo's girl/chickenfriend is Camilla, not Ezmerelda.

by thew way, that was a "funny" story. hehe

jess

#   It's funny, isn't it?                                #
#      How your best friend can just blow up like that?  #
#                                                        #
#                                      (Mrs. Shazam)     #

Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 20:41:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: Krosstown Traffic <jmkross@wam.umd.edu>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #530

Why aren't the boys coming to DC?? I AM SO PISSED!!

Josh

Josh Kross	             jmkross@wam.umd.edu             |
                             http://www.wam.umd.edu/~jmkross/|

Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 21:27:05 -0400
From: Jessica Brandt <jbrandt@kent.edu>
Subject: Pearl Jam and BF5

I'd have to list BOTH Pearl jam and Ben Folds Five in my top 10 favorite
bands. I like songs, first, for lyrical content, and i think the Ed Ved
writes (er, wrote) awesome lyrics that are really insightful, poetic, and
TRUE. I feel the same about Ben. His lyrics are very easy to understand and
they deal with stuff that's important to the people who listen to his
music. It's not abstract, and it's also not cliche`d or boring.
As for musicality, i pick BF5 because they have such an awesome sound. The
piano is played so well - it rocks, rolls, and sounds sweet! Robert is an
EXCELLENT bass player, he overtakes the sound of a bass AND guitar while
playing interesting rhythms and doodles. Darren is a great drummer - but i
don't know anything about drummers - but i don't think his drumming is
stale in any way.
We'll see, if in a few years there is a big categoric hole for BF5 to fall
into, like Pearl jam did with the "seattle Sound". if there is an
upsurgance of piano rock bands coming, we better hope BF5 doesn't get
washed away like Pearl Jam did!

my 2 cents

Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 21:51:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: RECWreck@aol.com
Subject: Re: bff-pj

Doron Richartz wrote:
> I won't even comment on the drumming ability of either band because,
>  frankly, I'm not a drummer and I don't want to put my foot in my mouth.
Like
>  somebody else...

ok, i'll do that. I'm a drummer and i've actually gotten my girlfreind REALLY
pissed off on this subject. I'll run down all the PJ drummers and compare
them with Darren...

Dave Krusen - 90-91 In my opinion Darren is a better drummer. He played on
the "Ten" record. Drummed for Hovercraft (as Carl 3-30) for a few years but
quit this week to join (yuck) Candlebox.

Matt Chamberlain - 91 Darren is just a little better IMO. He can only be
heard on the Alive video or the same version of Alive on the Alive japanese
import (not like any of you care). He was a temporary replacement until he
suggested a drummer by the name of...

Dave Abbruzzese - 91-94 ahhh. I'm sorry, he is just the best drummer ever.
LOL. He can be heard on the Vs. and Vitalogy records. He's more unique and a
technically a better drummer than Darren (only in my opinion of course :^).
But I couldnt imagine Dave ever playing Ben Folds Five type of music. Dave is
a funk man but played rock by default. His new band Green Romance Orchestra
has a new cd coming out at the end of the month. Their website is at
http://www.emperornorton.com/gro.

Jack Irons - 95-present. Darren is a far better drummer. He can be heard on
the No Code record. I personally HATE Jack's drumming in Pearl Jam. It's just
not right. His drumming in Eleven was great. I cant really tell how it was in
the Chili Peppers. His playing wasnt any better in Eleven but it was right
for the music. The drumming was to the point and no trying to show off (and
when he does try to show off it gets REALLY annoying). Plus the music was so
amazing it shouldnt have been ruined by bad drumming so it was ok. Pearl Jam
on the other had requires some good drumming. Drumming is what launches Pearl
Jam's sound. Thats whats been lacking in Pearl Jam since Dave was fired. He's
been playing long enough. You would think his drumming would get better.
Sadly, I am a better drummer than Jack. That definately still doesnt say much
for me.

        Ryan

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 19:02:50 -0700
From: "Julie Hurst" <sledgie@mailexcite.com>
Subject: She don't use jelly

Last night she don't use jelly was on triple J but I missed it my friend heard it,
So everyone ring up between 6-10pm and request it so we all can hear it.
And that Gavin Rossdale story that everyone want to know: He was at Recovery the
same day as BFF and when he played me and my friend just kept giving him greasos
and after the show all the girls wanted autographs and he was right next to me doing
that and I couldn't get away cause of the heard of crazy girls anyway I told him
to piss off and called him gay so he got the texta and drew a mark on my arm, what
a childish prick!

http://www.mailexcite.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 10:44:09 +0800 (WST)
From: Jodie Poole <jpoole@tartarus.uwa.edu.au>
Subject: [none]

To Mr Dope,
	Well, I hope all the American Armchairites don't feel the same way
you do about us Aussies discussing BFF's TV appearances here.  I thought
you would appreciate the fact that we're letting everyone know what
the boys got up to here on Recovery and Rage etc.  The fact that two
people recently posted to the Armchair from New Zealand and a few months
ago someone posted from Iceland just goes to show that this list has now
become truly international.  It is not purely here for the American
fans benefit - maybe Pluvius Dope  needs to become a little more
tolerant.  I hope everyone else out there understands and has enjoyed
reading all our posts about the Oz concerts and TV appearances.

Catcha!
Jodie

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 23:11:25 -0400
From: Ryan Lewandowski <mrl8550@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>
Subject: bff-pj

>musically. Secondly, you made a fool of yourself in doing it. I'm a bass
>player and I've heard Robert Sledge do much more unique and interesting
>things than I've ever heard Jeff Ament do. You probably just like Jeff
Ament
>because he plays a fretless bass every once in a while, ooh, very cool. The
>fact that Jeff Ament jumps around on stage obviously makes him a better
bass
>player, huh? That's interesting...
  I really don't think this a fair comparison.  Obviously the fact that Jeff
Ament can play in mid air is totally irrelevant.  I'd be willing to bet that
Robert Sledge could do the same.  It's just that some people get into their
music in different ways that others.  But I certainly wouldn't say that
Ament is WAY less talented than Sledge, as your comment suggests.  I've seen
and heard Ament play some really great stuff, just as I have heard Robert
Sledge play some great stuff.  I think the styles of music differ enough to
make a true comparison of musical talent very subject to personal tastes.
We can sit here and say Billy Joel is a better pianist than Ben Folds, or
visa-versa, but where does the basis for that sort of comparison come from?
It's the same story.  While not impossible, comparing granny smith apples to
red delicious apples is not a real fruitful venture.

Ryan Lewandowski
mrl8550@rit.edu
http://www.rit.edu/~mrl8550

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 21:06:38 -0400
From: schander@juno.com (joe s schanderson)
Subject: ben, letters and pants, oh my!

As a practicing comedian, I know I am not alone in my appreciation for
Ben and Co.'s neverending pursuit of the perfect hoax. CASE IN POINT:

>> Ben made a short appearance toward  the end to introduce his all time,

>>number one, favourite video, "seeing through the eyes of the dead" by
>>Cannibal Corpse. Seemed like an odd choice to me but there you have it.

>>He said that they had tried to base the video for OAD on this Cannibal
>>Corpse video.

Oh how I would have enjoyed seeing their straight faces as they lied
throught their collective teeth.

REGARDING : The chain letter.

Get over it. So we had to live through another chain letter. It was a
mistake. No one got punched or kicked or otherwise damaged so give the
person who posted a break. A simple, "Please do not post chain letters,"
would have been more than sufficient. They even apologized. Chill out. I
would rather read chain letters all day than listen to some obscene rant
about how annoying chain letters are.  Love, love, love.....

REGARDING : Carrie

Carrie closed her post by informing us that she needed to change her
pants. This seems like one of those things that a person should just feel
free to do on their own without letting us in on it. If, however, you
were waiting for permission Carrie....you may now go change your pants.

joe

P.S. BOOTLEGS!!!! Can the person who posted in yesterday's #527 about
some live tapes please email me. I erased the digest without writing your
address down.   schander@juno.com

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 23:40:52 -0400
From: Carrie Shanafelt <cds9@po.cwru.edu>
Subject: Roommate Joy

My roommate Joy likes Ben Folds Five, but she thinks the entire
story-sharing, love-giving process that is the Magical Armchair sounds like
a big fat therapy session for obsessed people.  I agreed.  She doesn't
understand it.  I've tried explaining that sometimes obsession is OK, but
she thinks this goes too far.  (Don't worry, I'm taking her to the
Halloween concert!)  Until that time, she would like to receive email from
those of you who can explain to her just why Ben Folds Five is worthy of
our love.  Please write her at jef2@po.cwru.edu  -- and yes, this is
sanctioned by Joy, so feel free to kindly, gently help her understand.
Thank you, Carrie

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 04:12:44 +0000
From: Shaft <CrimsonKing@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Travis

        I found a $5.99 copy of "Good Feeling" by Travis and decided to pick
it up considering I'll have to see them open for BFF on Nov 30 (as soon as
those tix go on sale).  Fortunately, it's not disagreeable at all.  It
sounds strikingly Oasis-like, but I won't hold that against them.  The first
few songs are actually pretty catchy.  It's always nice to have an opening
act that you don't mind seeing.
        Take Care-
                        Andy      #:-)
                        University of California, Irvine

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 00:17:25 -0400 (EDT)
From: Smarshal1@aol.com
Subject: Re: Crapola

Pluvios Dope- I think you are pretty cool and I like how you defend the band
that is the only reason I am posting to this majordomo.  But....
<< No one in Pearl Jam is a better musician than the boys.
Particularly Jeff Ament. The only thing Jeff is better than Robert at is
not showering. >>
Look at transcriptions to both players' stuff.  then tell me which looks like
it taks more talent and know-how to play.  I am not saying that Sledge is a
below competent bassist but Ament is an above Sledge bassist.  now, if you
still don't think I am right, it is only because you like the power-pop
melodys of BFF more than PJ's stlye of playing all kinds of stuff.

<<Pearl Jam sucks fat whale wad>>
I have no comment due to the fact that it is most probable that this comment
is generated from the "I don't like main-stream bands and I only listen to
tuff that isn't popular" attitude.

Later,
Josh

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Oct 97 23:29:31 -0500
From: Michael Bluejay <bluejay@pobox.com>
Subject: Slight correction to "Brick"

One teensy-weensy correction to my transcription of "Brick" I posted
yesterday:  Where it says Gmaj7 in two places, it should say D/G instead.
 And if you want to get technical, it's actually second inversion D over
a G bass.  I had another listen to the song after I posted, and I finally
heard the difference between Gmaj7 and D/G which I couldn't put my finger
on originally.  No pun intended.  Oh well.

In other news, Petra Starke wrote:

>Brick is a superior song. As soon as I heard the first
>note I had to sit down, i was overcome with emotion.

Wow, you got emotional over an F-sharp?!?! :-)

- -- Michael Bluejay (Austin, TX)

  http://pobox.com/bluejay  | Home of AUSTIN MUSIC, KING CHEESE,

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 00:32:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: Smarshal1@aol.com

Doron Richartz said this stuff:
<<Josh, I'd like to know if you are a musician yourself? >>
No.
<<First, I was amazed that you went and compared two completely different
bands
musically. Secondly, you made a fool of yourself in doing it.>>
Yeah, I guess I am a pioneer in the comparison business.  And no, I don't
believe I made a fool of myself.
<<I'm a bass player and I've heard Robert Sledge do much more unique and
interesting things than I've ever heard Jeff Ament do.>>
Well, do you listen to alot of Pearl Jam?  If not, then there is your
solution.  If so, then we have different opinions on what's interesting.  I
mean Robert using a pedal on BOWCCL could be considered interesting because
it adds a new sound, but is it all that nifty?
<<You probably just like Jeff Ament because he plays a fretless bass every
once in a while, ooh, very cool.>>
Yeah, that's cool.  but no, that's not why I like him.  I think I like his
versatality as much as anything else.  But he isn't my fav bass player.  Im
just defending accusations that Sledge is better than Ament.
<<The fact that Jeff Ament jumps around on stage obviously makes him a better
bass player, huh? That's interesting...>>
No, it doesn't make him better.  but in reference to an earlier comment you
made, it does give him some uniqueness and interesting qualities to his style
of playing.  It isn't very easy to play some of his lines while jumping as
high as he does off an amp/monitor/anything.
<<I don't want to put my foot in my mouth. Like somebody else...>>
how did I do this again?
later,
josh

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 22:12:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: bwjones <bwjones@scf-fs.usc.edu>
Subject: re: pluvius dope

And another thing. No one in Pearl Jam is a better musician than the boys.
Particularly Jeff Ament. The only thing Jeff is better than Robert at is
not showering. Pearl Jam sucks fat whale wad, and they should all be burned
to remove that putrid stench of not showering from their worthless bodies.
The fact that you compared them to the greatest band in the universe in
sickening, I think you and your potty mouth should be washed with soap just
like Pearl Jam needs to be.
Pluvius, Pluvius, Pluvius, thank you for illustrating my point so very
well (musings--Armchair #527).  You provided just the right amount of
ignorance in your unproductive, immature, and unjustified tirade against
Pearl Jam.  If you're going to criticize a band, criticize them for their
musical ability (or lack thereof).  Don't just say "Pearl Jam sucks and
BF5 is the greatest band in the universe" because you sound like a crass
cheerleader.  Try to say something intelligent, or don't say it at all.

And another thing, lay off the Aussies.  It's their mailing list just as
much as it is yours and if they want to talk about Rage, more power to
'em.  It's people like you who give America a bad name...

Hugs and kisses,
Brant Jones