Issue #534 - October 15, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest  Wednesday, October 15 1997  Volume 01 : Number 534

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I
will try to help you.

BOUNCE, BOUNCE, BOUNCE
    I have been getting a lot of bounced digests lately, many due to
full mailboxes (but for other reasons as well). In a few days I will
begin weeding out any subscribers whose mail consistently bounces. If you
find yourself unsubscribed, this may be why.

WHEN REPLYING: Please change the subject of your reply to something
pertinent to the message. Don't leave it as "Magical Armchair Digest,
V1 #xxx" unless your mail client won't allow you to change it.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Popularity (once again)
    Friends in Oz
    Pearl Street
    the Armchair
    Rage...
    Re: meaning of brick
    Philosophy sheet music...
    Re:  what's up with the armchair
    Australians
    Why Brant is a smart guy and Pluvius is a wanker.
    Atlanta show and the old, old armchair
    The Great Music Debate
    BFF stew
    In case you missed that address...
    A little Pearl Jam, a little BFF

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 20:32:35 -0400
From: "John E. Fahey" <jfahey@cyberportal.net>
Subject: Popularity (once again)

On the topic of Ben Folds Five becoming popular. I just offer you some
of my personal experiences. Like most people have said, it does give you
a certain pleasure knowing that you're likely the only person in your
neighborhood to have experienced "Philosophy", just to name one of the
many gems that BFF has to offer. However, popularity is the way that I
have 'discovered' many bands. I'm not sure how a band reaching
popularity could be identified, but for example: The Mighty Mighty
Bosstones were nothing more than a name to me before I heard "The
Impression That I Get" on the radio and MTV constantly. Only then did I
hear all of their great past material. Another thing is that even if a
band becomes popular, you can always be satisfied to know that you were
digging them from the beginning. An example close to me would be Green
Day, yes, Green Day. Believe it or not, I was listening to them before
their 'debut' album Dookie came out. I found out about them from a
friend of mine who in turn had found out about them from a friend of
his. Now I liked Green Day then and I think that as most bands do, they
have just improved over the albums. I mean, if they had not become MTV
posterboys, chances are that they might not have even been together to
make their new album (out tomorrow woohoo!!). And U2. Maybe not the best
band to point to but Pop is really a great album despite what many
people will say. There's no way that U2 could have made such an album if
they had not become 'popular' and gotten the record company to give them
enough time and money to make such an album. So I guess my point is that
we should welcome any new Fiver's that come along because I wouldn't
have heard of BFF if it wasn't for MTV and even though they haven't
quite become a smash success yet, I'll still be a fan when they do. And
I promise you, it's only a matter of time.

cheers,
john

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 18:02:15 PDT
From: "One Angry.Dwarf" <one_angry_dwarf@hotmail.com>
Subject: Friends in Oz

Hello Collective!

A personal request for any or my Australian friends on this list:

There is an Australian CD I am looking for.  If there is anyone willing
to do a trade, some U.S. CD you are looking for, for the Australian CD I
am looking for, please drop me a line at: RDauberman@Hotmail.com and we
can work something out!

P.S. anyone going to be at the San Francisco show at the end of next
month?

Russell

"You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are
what you pretend to be." --Kurt Vonnegut, "Mother Night"

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 21:44:38 -0400
From: Stewed Tomato <santonan@student.umass.edu>
Subject: Pearl Street

Well folks, I called Pearl Street today, and the boys are indeed coming to
Pearl Street. It was confirmed Friday, tix go on sale tomorrow, the guy I
talked to didn't know how much they would be though. For all of you in the
Northhampton area, you can obviously get them at Pearl Street, or at
Strawberries, or at some place in Thornes or at the ticket place in the
Student Union at UMass. The guy said it would be all ages in all
likelihood...oh yeah, you can also get them at For the Record in Amherst,
which is where I will be going to tomorrow, whoohoo! Hope to see some of you
at the show!

Sarah :)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 21:52:51 -0400
From: "Derek Supranowicz" <dpsupr@maila.wm.edu>
Subject: the Armchair

geeze,  i just love getting letters in my mailbox every single night with
pages and pages of hate man and four letter words.  It just brightens my
day up in this already too happy little world
Derek

Derek Supranowicz		School Email -dpsupr@maila.wm.edu
College Station Unit 0474	Email2 - dsuprano@rocketmail.com
PO BOX 8793			WWW - http://www.toptown.com/dorms/xonel
Williamsburg,  VA 23186-0474
(757)-221-4537

Derek Supranowicz
42 Hawthorne St.
Lenox MA  01240
(413)-637-1023

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 21:56:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: Znice@aol.com
Subject: Rage...

i agree with the aussies that people are being too hard on them for this RAGE
special.  I for one would like to see it!! (anyone have a copy, australia??)
as for bands with no talent that are only signed because of connections, why
hasn't anyone mentioned Jakob Dillon??  It seems that this ticketmaster thing
is dead (THANK GOD) now let's squash the silly pearl jam debate and get on
with our lives. music is not a sport to see who's the best, it's an art,
listen to what you like and enjoy it!!
eric, (happily listening to Emaline)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 14:56:19 +1300
From: "Krista Toupin O'Reilly" <galatea@innocent.com>
Subject: Re: meaning of brick

>I read an interview with Ben in which he said that it was about taking
>his dog to the vet. I think that it's as plausible an explanation as >any
>other that has been offered.

So in other words, he didn't want to say, right?  Does "Her mom and dad
went down to Charlotte/They're not home to find us out" really fit,
there?

The rest of it seems, to, though, surprisingly.  i  like it.
- --
When we stop growing, we start dying.

			-William S. Burroughs

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 22:01:55 -0400
From: Carrie Shanafelt <cds9@po.cwru.edu>
Subject: Philosophy sheet music...

OK, so I'm kind of an idiot and mentioned I have great sheet music for
Philosophy.  It's not that I mind sending it to people (I got it from some
kind soul last winter on the list), but I feel pretty petty asking for
copying charges and all... So if you haven't asked for it yet, please
don't!  I'm poor!  Unless you feel like sending an SASE with fifty cents in
it, in which case I'd be more than happy to do it.  As it is, I'm spending
a wee bit of dough sending this thing to several people... I'm a poor
college student!  Spending money breaks me!  My kindness and love are
endless; my funds are not.  (If I've already volunteered to send it to you
for free, don't worry about it, but any future people, please send 50
cents, ok?)  I do love you all, and would wish sheet music on all of you,
if I could :)  Pleas courtesy of Carrie

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 22:12:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: Scoota97@aol.com
Subject: Re:  what's up with the armchair

WOW,

	Lately, the armchair has gone from informative and interesting to downright
nasty!! Please be a little more tolerant of other people's BFF experiences
<pluvius> as that IS a big part of what the armchair is all about. 	Skip past
what you find boring or whatever, and move on!!  I, for one, would rather
hear about BFF in Australia than a maniacal tirade about how Aussies should
shut up about this and that.. geez, get a life!!  And don't speak for "all
americans", ok....because some of us ARE interested in what the boys are
doing down under.

	Oh, one more thing.....why is it that you always seem to be the antagonist
around these threads in the "chair"?? (ie: the "pot" smoking, the Aussie
bashing, the "brick" discussion) what's up...do you enjoy getting people
riled or are you just living up to your screen name??

later collective,

~Scott

"you could hear a pin drop on the carpet floor" BFF

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 21:37:42 -0500
From: Pluvius Dope <Policy@Mobsters.com>
Subject: Australians

Well Well Well, I thought that being intelligent enough to listen to the
Holy Band would make you an intelligent flamer, but I never thought that
people would stoop to calling me a "Goat Swoggler". I expect better from
people as intelligent as you all.

And as far as being anti-Australian. I am no such thing. There is a
difference between BFF related content and content which is not appealing
to anyone not in Autralia. If you Americans are interested in crapola about
rage, then that is sad.

Pluvius Dope

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 19:35:02 PDT
From: "Courtney Knopf" <vegasbaby@hotmail.com>
Subject: Why Brant is a smart guy and Pluvius is a wanker.

list; it was both immature and petty. This list is for everyone, not
just us Americans, OK? So we don't have Rage or whatever else, but we
also have a lot more that we talk about that doesn't concern them.
I won't say "can't we all just get along" 'cause apparently we can't. I
would just appreciate if Pluvius could refrain from making every
american look like an a**hole.

As for Brant's post about wishing success for the guys in teh band but
not wanting them to go too commercial...I totally agree. I think it
would be great to see them as the musical guest on Saturday Night Live
of guest VeeJay-ing on MTV, but it would grate heavily on my nerves to
see them turned into a lame-ass cash cow 'cause their music (or their
big hit single) has hit the top 20. I want them to be appreciated
musically for their talent, not cause people thine they're cute or
something (not that they're not...but you get my drift). Come on, how
many teeny-bopper pseudo-alterna-chicks like Gavin Rossdale and Bush
'cause they think he's such a hottie? Does any of this make sense? i
just don't want the guys' talent to be trivialized for the sake of
marketing.

Okay, all that said...Brant (or anyone else in L.A./SoCal) do you know
when tickets for the Nov. 30 show go on sale?

Thanks for listening to my rants.

~Courtney

The Sultraness of Swing
"That was money baby, tell me that wasn't money!"

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 23:01:30 -0700
From: "Patrick Fulton" <patrfult@yhc.edu>
Subject: Atlanta show and the old, old armchair

Hi everyone,

	I haven't heard anyone talk of the Atlanta show yet, it's this Thursday.
I, and a fellow old school fan of the five will be there, along with a few
newbies.  We were going to take the grand tour this weekend of Atl,
Raliegh, Charlotte, and Charleston.  But we're poor college kids, andwe
might be able to catch them again in Tenn. or Ala.
	I wonder if all the armchair I saw represented at Music Midtown (Atl),
back in May are still out there.
	I was a big reader of the MAc back then, but I wasn't able to post until
recently.
I think it's good for everyone, especially the new subscribers to go back
and read the archives sometime.  I miss how people would tell about the
shows, there experiences and how much the BFF mean to them,  . . . how
certain songs mean more than just the lyrics, and what the lyrics mean in
their lives.  Don't worry, I'll post some too, it's just I'd like to see
the Armchair become a family again.  No offense is meant to the current
armchair or the newbies---its great to watch someone find something for
themselves in a BFF song.

	ANYWAYS... I'll be in Atlanta, I'm not sure what I'll wear yet, but I will
have a "MY NAME IS..." sticker on so wear one yourself and feel free to say
hi. ....but don't kick my butt.

		See you around, everyone,
			Patrick

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 23:03:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: MeandMrRay@aol.com
Subject: The Great Music Debate

Hello Folks,
             I've really enjoyed the arguments over the BF5 vs. Pearl Jam.
Its weird, its like music has become a sporting event. When did they have the
"World Championship of Bass Playing"?, and how come it was'nt on ESPN? Some
people really dig Pearl Jam, others dont. I think they are good at what they
do, and seem to make alot of people happy doing it.....So more power to them.
I play bass, guitar, piano and a bit of drums as well, and sure, I got my
favorite players....but I dont feel like shoving them down your throats, nor
do I feel I should have to defend them. Its all about what you like to listen
to. You know when your really down... and you have that one song that can put
a big smile on your face, well thats what music is all about. Music has
helped me through some hard times, and has provided a fitting soundtrack to
countless good times....thats why i love it.

Thanks for hearing my banter....

Gregory.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 22:26:14 -0500 (EST)
From: Matt Moberly <mmoberly@purdue.edu>
Subject: BFF stew

You all liked that play on words, didn't you? Anyway, the post:
I see a lot of you out there with these MP3 pages, and although every one
of them that I've downloaded has been corrupted on my machine (bad karma,
I guess), I thought you might want more. I've made decent sounding MP3s
(each under 1M) of live versions of Crosstown Traffic and The Ultimate
Sacrifice from the boots I have. E-mail me privately and I'll attach them
to my response. I don't have server space to put these up myself.
  Also, I feel the same way about the PJ drummers... Jack Irons is NOT a
Pearl Jam drummer, he forces everything into the redundance of "Not for
You" over and over and stifles the band. Dave Abruceze (sic) was awesome.
  Back to BFF, I have actually heard Ben "create" Dr Pyser over the months
between albums on my boots, where the beginning started as jamming on the
end of Dumped. Which I guess is my attempt at defending the claim that he
wrote it. So that's three ideas in one post.

mmoberly@purdue.edu

"You'll never be as clever as this!"
- --Bloohound Gang featuring Rob Van Winkle (Vanilla Ice)
"I've found that people will watch anything, as long as it's dumb."
- --Beavis

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 23:43:58 -0400
From: Carrie Shanafelt <cds9@po.cwru.edu>
Subject: In case you missed that address...

I just wanted to remind all of you that all letters explaining your
personal interest in Ben Folds and his Merry Men should be directed to my
roommate Joy at jef2@po.cwru.edu.  (And a hello, to you too, Skip!)
Please, even if it's just a note, let her know.  Thanks!  Carrie

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 20:54:23 -0700
From: qreeus@uclink4.berkeley.edu (Nathan Gunn)
Subject: A little Pearl Jam, a little BFF

On Oct. 12 bwjones <bwjones@scf-fs.usc.edu> astutely pointed out:

>>Don't just say "Pearl Jam sucks and
BF5 is the greatest band in the universe" because you sound like a crass
cheerleader<<

I'd like to proclaim right now, once in for all:

PEARL JAM SUCKS and while ben Folds Five may not be the greatest band in
the universe, their pretty damn nifty.

Thank you.  And why don't I support my argument?  Well, because I really
don't think Eddie Veder deserves that kind of respect from me.  But I am
glad that Pearl Jam exists for as long as they are making albums, little
high school girls will always have something to quote in their year books.
I find it funny that a man with as much poetic maturity and grace as ben
Folds can even be mentioned in the same sentence with Eddie Veder or the
rest of the PJ guys without as much as a snicker.

And a little good news...KALX (our college radio station) played She Don't
Use Jelly last night.  It was much different than what I thought it would
be.  I've heard many people say it's the only gem on the album.  Don't get
me wrong, i like the song, but if that's the best song on the album, it
must not be worth the money.  I'll just wait for the B-sides album in
January.

While we're on the subject of Lounge-a-palooza, what's with all the fucking
covers of Black Hole Sun?  Seems like everyone has been covering that
God-awful song lately.  IMHO every band should have stopped attempting it
after they realized they could NEVER out-do Cibo Matto's version of it!

And finally, to end my little bitch-fest tonight, I'd like to make a little
comment towards anyone who THINKS they have dates for BFF shows.  In short,
IF THEY HAVEN'T BEEN CONFIRMED, PLEASE DON'T POST THEM!  I made
Thanksgiving plans around an Armchair post that said BFF was going to be
playing in San Fran on November 30.  Then I find out, they're playing here
on the 28th.  Then I find out that apparently THIS date isn't even
confirmed yet!  But it looks like everyone is saying that it's the 28th for
their show here at The Fillmore in which case I'm going to have to miss the
show because some wanker wanted to be first to post incorrect West Coast
dates.  Thanks alot.

And finally, a note to the Aussies:  I don't give a rat's ass what this
Dope says, I enjoy hearing about BFF's rampages through the outback!  Glad
they're appreciated somewhere!
  Swingfully,
    Nathan

PS...I'm actually in a really good mood tonight.  I wonder why I sound so
pissed off?

"I don't trust anybody's nostalgia but my own.  Nostalgia is a product of
dissatisfaction and rage.  It's a settling of grievances between the
present and the past.  The more powerful the nostalgia, the closer you come
to violence.  War is the form nostalgia takes when men are hard-pressed to
say something good about their country."
                            -- Don DeLillo