Issue #536 - October 15, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest  Wednesday, October 15 1997  Volume 01 : Number 536

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I
will try to help you.

BOUNCE, BOUNCE, BOUNCE
    I have been getting a lot of bounced digests lately, many due to
full mailboxes (but for other reasons as well). In a few days I will
begin weeding out any subscribers whose mail consistently bounces. If you
find yourself unsubscribed, this may be why.

WHEN REPLYING: Please change the subject of your reply to something
pertinent to the message. Don't leave it as "Magical Armchair Digest,
V1 #xxx" unless your mail client won't allow you to change it.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Stop all the badmouthing
    Sledge vs. Ament
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #532
    a little bit-O-info
    Quit It Already

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 12:27:57 -0500 (EST)
From: Christina Scarmeas <15SCARMEAS@cua.edu>
Subject: Stop all the badmouthing

Will everyone just stop bashing eachother over this newsgroup? It's
really annoying to read everyone's hate mail everytime I open up The
Armchair. So, as a reminder, keep your personal business to yourself.
Smile! It's a beautiful day!
Tina

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 10:09:38 -0700
From: "Doron Richartz" <rich5363@tao.sou.edu>
Subject: Sledge vs. Ament

Well, it seems futile to continue comparing bass players. I respect your =
opinion and I hope you respect mine. It doesn't really matter anyway.=20

As for your question about me listening to PJ. Yeah, I have all of their =
albums and a couple of their bootlegs. It's just that Jeff Ament doesn't =
really "tickle my pickle". I think that Sledge's style of playing adds =
another dimension to BFF. Sledge certainly isn't my favorite bass player =
either. A couple of my favorites are Stefan Lessard from DMB and Stuart =
(I forget his last name) from Jamiroquai.

I hope this clears everything up, I didn't want this to end up like that =
moshing thing...

Doron=20

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 13:22:47 -0600
From: uselink@juno.com (Jeremy V Davis)
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #532

  Well all I was reading and bored so I thought I think I'll add to the
greatness which is the
Magical Armchair.
            BF5 Vs. PJ debate: Let me begin by saying I used to love
Pearl Jam so it's not cause
I just hate them, but PJ has been going down in quality ever since Ten
which was a amazing album the only album I ever owned was Ten, but then I
herd Vs. and
I was disappointed so I didn't buy it, then came Vitology and I was
disgusted. I mean where
did all the power go? I've only herd 2 songs off No Code and I hope
that's all I ever hear.
But PJ as a band can paly as we've seen in the past. BF5 on the other
hand are so amazing
for their talent and the sheer fact that there isn't really anything out
there like it. So in
closing of my side of this debate though very different at one point PJ
could be called close
to BF5 in talent but not any more. (at least in my opinion)

  Alright I got that outta the way I feel better. The show in SLC blah is
a 21+ and I'm only
17, but I'm in the works of getting someone that goes to the Zephyr
(which is the venue)
to get myself and my g/f  who is also 17 in so I'm crossing my fingers. I
really don't know
of any BF5 fans in Utah so if anyone on the list is also from Utah I'd
love to hear from you
Ya know to find out if my g/f and I are alone in listening to both albums
at least once a day. =]
And just general hero worship.

I guess I'll be done now. Hugs and smoochies. *grin*

                             Jer

- --------------------------------------<uselink@juno.com>-----------------------------------------
"I shake my booty to the Digital Underground" - Robert Sledge - BF5
"Dolphins: one of the smartest mammals on Earth.  Do they wear pants?
No!
   But they *wish* they did.  That's how smart they are!" -Tom Servo -
MST3K

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 13:24:18 PDT
From: "Aaron Bell" <ishot2pak@hotmail.com>
Subject: a little bit-O-info

Yesterday the 13th, I had the pleasure of interviewing Darren for the
newspaper here at Northern Arizona University. While the interview
wasn't what I hoped it would be, I did get a few bits of news from him.
Concerning the upcoming rarities album, the band hasn't picked the final
track list yet. Some songs that he said were definatly on the album are
live performances of Philosphy, Julianne. They are not sure if they are
going to be putting Dr. Peyser or Eddie Walker on it, because they are
still debating on wether or not to put them on their next studio album.
They are also planning on releasing a documentary of various TV
performances sometime in the next couple years.
Well thats pretty much all I got. I just figured I'd let all you people
know.

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 16:26:11 -0600
From: "Erik C. Lyons" <EPA8820@epa.state.il.us>
Subject: Quit It Already

What is it with bashing each other? Ya know, I bet these 'discussions'
off-topic wouldn't be so bad if we kept them constructive instead of laying
into one another. Who cares who is a better handler of an instrument?
Cm'on kiddies, say it with me. . .R-E-S-P-E-C-T each other's opinion. Don't
hate them for it. I mean, shit, I could really get some of your blood boiling if I
told you what I thought about the incredible skills of Lars Ulrich and Jason
Newsted of. . .well, you know. . .

But to keep THIS post on-topic, Ben Folds Five is a great band and we all
enjoy them and the music they play. No need to really compare them to
other individuals. Maybe styles and influences, but getting personal is kinda
IGNORANT (look up the definition those of you who curse and flame each
other). Let's love each other and be happy (how gay. . .) but anyway, you
know what I mean. . .You know the guys read this sometimes and the least
we can do is try to keep the Armchair clean of insults. KEWL?? cool in
school. . .

Man-o-man, would I love to see Darren and Lars pounding the drums
together. . .HA! What a day that would be!

"Sunshine, on my shoulder, makes me happy. . ."
- -- John Denver 1944-1997

Take care!
- -Erik.