Issue #537 - October 16, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest   Thursday, October 16 1997   Volume 01 : Number 537

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I
will try to help you.

BOUNCE, BOUNCE, BOUNCE
    I have been getting a lot of bounced digests lately, many due to
full mailboxes (but for other reasons as well). In a few days I will
begin weeding out any subscribers whose mail consistently bounces. If you
find yourself unsubscribed, this may be why.

WHEN REPLYING: Please change the subject of your reply to something
pertinent to the message. Don't leave it as "Magical Armchair Digest,
V1 #xxx" unless your mail client won't allow you to change it.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    rocky. . . . .
    austin show
    opening for bff on nov. 1?????
    [none]
    The Flaming Lips
    philosophy (not about sheet music)
    off-Broadway
    sick of the pearl jam bashing
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #534
    Sledge Vs Ament??
    Re: Rage
    Keep our Armchair friendly!!!
    Pluvius (again - I'm sorry)

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 18:57:52 -0400
From: aplauri@juno.com (Philip J. L.)
Subject: rocky. . . . .

ok, i just want to share my new love for the song "ROCKY"  that song is
so cool!!!!!  i love it!!!!!  anyone here feel the same?????  the lyrics
are also pretty cool, and really mean something. . . . . . .  well, just
thought i'd share. . . . .

philip

ROCKY

We were in a park
and I could jump so far.
Seems that all I'd ever done,
is smoking pot out in the car.
And this fear faded in,
.......in my old school.

He says
"Ben, we both know you're a saint,
I've been running through these fields
it's such a lovely place you drink,
is it your imagination,
it's been years since I've been on my feet?"

Now it's Rocky's day,
and it's on it's way.
Sun won't be coming out today.
Now it's Rocky's day,
and it's time he went away.
Sun won't be coming out today.

Now I recall,
but I don't know who,
told me Rocky was a runner,
won a medal back in school.
Now at Christmas Momma says,
you go up in Rocky's room.
And as we watch the sun go down,
he thanks me for my dreams.
He says "I know you think you are,
but you're not completely free.
The man who's seen the spectre of....
is completely free."

Now it's Rocky's day,
and it's on it's way.
Sun won't be coming out today.
Now it's Rocky's day,
and it's on it's way.
Sun won't be coming out today.

Then he smiled,
and he turned and walked away.
He said over his shoulder,
"I'll be gone when you're awake."

Now it's Rocky's day,
and it's on it's way.
Sun won't be coming out today.
Now it's Rocky's day,
and it's on it's way.
Sun won't be coming out today.

"who's got, the looks, who's got the brains. . . . who's got
everything????"

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 19:42:24 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Adam 'DeLicious' DeLisse" <adeliss@comp.uark.edu>
Subject: austin show

ok, i've been patient for a while now, but i can't stand it anymore.  it
hasn't appeared on ticketmaster, so i'm going to ask it.  how do i get
tickets to the austin show at la zona rosa?  does anyone know?

Adam DeLisse
					.
				       / \
				      / V \
				     /     \
				    / V V V \
				   /   V V   \
				  / V   V   V \
				 /             \
				/ V V V V V V V \
			       /   V V V V V V   \
			      / V   V V V V V   V \
			     /       V V V V       \
			    / V V V   V V V   V V V \
			   /   V V     V V     V V   \
			  / V   V   V   V   V   V   V \
			 /____________________________ \

   ...............and people say there is no beauty in math..............

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 21:50:23 -0400
From: aplauri@juno.com (Philip J. L.)
Subject: opening for bff on nov. 1?????

(frank)  do you know who is opening for bff on the november 1st show at
eastern michigan, just out of curiosity, thinking maybe i could pick up a
c.d. of em.....  thanks for  any info!!!

philip

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 21:08:00 -0400
From: schander@juno.com (joe s schanderson)
Subject: [none]

 qreeus@uclink4.berkeley.edu (Nathan Gunn) writes

>PS...I'm actually in a really good mood tonight.  I wonder why I sound
so
pissed off?

I think we were all wondering the same thing.

P. Dope writes

> If you Americans are interested in crapola about
rage, then that is sad.

Wow is this attitude thing getting old fast. Please consider
unsubscribing lest we are forced to request the action by Master Maynard.

love, love, love
joe

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 21:36:12 -0500 (CDT)
From: Richard Fuss <rfuss@eagle.ais.net>
Subject: The Flaming Lips

Someone asked about the song "She Don't Use Jelly."  Here's
Lips frontman Wayne Coyne's explanation:

"Alot of people think we're talking about sex and drugs and
some kind of take on some new breed of alternative music or
something like that.  But we're really not.  We're just talking
about vaseline on toast."

As a side note a new Flaming Lips box set is due out on Oct. 28th.
It's titled Zaireeka and all 4 CD's are intended to be played
simultaneously (i.e. you would need 4 CD players).  This
is a scaled down version of the band's Parking Lot Experiment.

later...
- --Rick

      Rick Fuss                     |    Rick's Lo-Fi Homepage
      rfuss@ais.net                 |    http://www.cl.ais.net/rfuss/
  "Somebody please tell this machine, I'm not a machine"--The Flaming Lips

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 22:55:34 +0000
From: SeanGambrel <gambrels@pilot.msu.edu>
Subject: philosophy (not about sheet music)

HI

I was in class the other day (a music class) and this guy started ripping
out "philosophy" (the very beginning part) on the piano.  so, I strolled
over to watch/listen... after he was finished I said "man, that's a great
song... Ben Folds rules!".  He and his buddy just looked at me like I was
some kind of fool and said "um, sure" and left.  Later on, though, the one
guy was asking the other if he could teach him "Philosophy"...

the question is: is that an old piano concerto or something that was written
long ago by some famous composer or something??

PS- the rendition of "she don't use jelly" is definately great!

later all!
Sean

"Take my advice, it's nice to be nice..."
Wally Pleasant

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 20:09:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: bwjones <bwjones@scf-fs.usc.edu>
Subject: off-Broadway

I'm picking up vibes that people are really sick and tired of reading
about Ticketmaster, Pearl Jam, moshing, and our friend Pluvius Dope.  In
an effort to keep things interesting, I thought I'd change the subject,
to something a little less controversial...(with a little help from grrl)

>   however, i wanted to remark that i, as well as a few others, seem to
> think that the 1st bff cd sounds an awful lot like the soundtrack to a
> musical. noo, not just because of the piano!!

You know, it's interesting that you say that about the first album,
because I think that each of the songs tells a little story, so they do
kinda seem like they're lifted straight out of a Broadway musical.
Interestingly enough, I heard a rumor from my friend that Ben spent some
time in NY City doing off-Broadway theatre... Can anybdoy verify this?
If so, what shows did he perform in?

Keeping it real,
Brant Jones
University of Southern California

ps: Thanks to all those who replied to my earlier posting--it meant a lot.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 22:34:26 PDT
From: "Travis Barone" <travisba@hotmail.com>
Subject: sick of the pearl jam bashing

  Dear good people of the armchair,

I don't know if im the only one who feels this way but im really tired
of seeing people bash pearl jam on a daily basis. So what if their newer
albums don't sound like Ten. Personally i think this is a very good
thing. Eddie Vedder has just broadened the band's horizons. It is also
stupid to compare them to BFF. I really don't appreciate people like
Nathan calling Ben Folds Five the best band in the world. No one
deserves this title.There are too many good bands in this world to do
that. BFF is a wonderful band that puts on a great live show and i enjoy
their talents immenseley, but they are not "the best". Thanks for
listening.
                     Travis
"embrace the senile genius, watch him reinvent the wheel"
                                                    -Steve Malkmus

       My list of bands people NEED to listen too:
Pavement, Sebadoh, Radiohead,Phish, Frank Black, Propaghandhi, Son Volt,
Public Enemy, Beck, and They Might Be Giants

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 02:02:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: F2G2@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #534

i think goat swoggler is a terribly creative and intelligent insult.

cool it, pluvius.......

let's talk about music like the homo sapiens we are..............

halloween show---who's going?  (i've got my ticket in my back pocket.)
mak.

in the discchanger:

bf5--whatever
supergrass, "in it for the money" and "i should coco"
lounge-a-palooza
(the tape of all bf5's b-sides......thanks hil.......)
mother hips "shootout"
dizzy gillespie's "swing low sweet cadillac"
beck's "one foot in the grave"
and
the beasties' "paul's boutique."

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 16:32:42 +1000 (EST)
From: Romesh De Alwis <rd15@uow.edu.au>
Subject: Sledge Vs Ament??

I cant beleive your comparing Sledge and ament saying they r 2 of the
best bass players i think in Les Claypool is the easily the best bass
player even though i have respect for Sledge and Ament and Flea i think
no one can hold a candle upto claypool
Rom

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 23:15:09 +1300
From: "Krista Toupin O'Reilly" <galatea@innocent.com>
Subject: Re: Rage

Eric (I think) mentioned something about how he'd like a copy of the
Rage special.  I just thought I should mention that before anyone
decides to send him one, Australian tapes are not compatible with North
American VCR's, and vice versa (USA uses NTSC format, while Oz/NZ/Japan
use PAL).

Sorry to bear that bad news.

Krista
- --
When we stop growing, we start dying.

			-William S. Burroughs

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 07:30:56 -0400
From: Steffen Donath <SDonath@compuserve.com>
Subject: Keep our Armchair friendly!!!

Hi everyone!

I totally agree with what Andrew said in MA #535:

>I wrote Pluvious directly to inform him of his ignorance and I would
>just like to suggest that in the future, everyone try to do this.

If you really need to flame people, flame them directly. You have the
personal e-mail address at the beginning of every article. So please use
it!

Or as Eric C. Lyons pointed it out (MA #536):

>R-E-S-P-E-C-T each other's opinion. Don't hate them for it.

Keep our Magical Armchair a happy and enjoyable forum for dedicated BFF
Fans!

Bye for now

Steffen

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/SDonath - BFF webpage

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 05:02:25 PDT
From: "Flying Nun" <humperdinck@hotmail.com>
Subject: Pluvius (again - I'm sorry)

Hi everyone,

I would like to apologise for cluttering up the armchair with stuff
about Pluvius.  But I feel I have to respond publicly to another one of
his ignorant ramblings.  I'm sorry if I bore anyone, but i'll try to
follow Sarah's example, and Petra's for that matter (difficult, but i'll
try).

I just listened for the first time to Bad Idea!!

and with that, I'd also liek to say sorry for saying how talk about PJ
was irrelevant and all, because now i'd like to put in my two cents on
the issue, and label myself, once again, a hypocrite.  Not having
listened to much PJ at all, I may be slightly biased, but the reason why
BFF is a better band is because they are so unique and innovative in
their music.  From what i hear of PJ (and many may disagree with me),
their stuff seems very similar to a lot of other stuff, and it's just
refreshing to hear something different.  Also, I get tired of music that
tries to leave me as depressed as possible, and BFF is the only band who
have lightened up(although there may be others i haven't thought of -
actually, TISM are another), and i'm sick of seeing people try to
project themselves to the public as tortured suffering artists, ie.
Vedder boy.  How deep does he want to be??  okay, that opinion was not
based on a comparison of technical skills, and was more of an image
comparison, but tell me I'm wrong by all means.  BFF don't make you
happy?  And PJ does??

>geeze,  i just love getting letters in my mailbox every single night
with
>pages and pages of hate man and four letter words.  It just brightens
my
>day up in this already too happy little world
>Derek

sorry

>i agree with the aussies that people are being too hard on them for
this RAGE
>special.  I for one would like to see it!! (anyone have a copy,
australia??)

I don't think anyone with a copy would object to sending you one (i've
got one), unfortunately, our VCRs work on the PAL system, and America
uses NTSC.  Unless you have a multi-systemed VCR, you won't be able to
see it.  Unless one of us has a lot of technical equipment junk.  and
unless you're british, which i neglected to check before i erased your
address.  Sorry.

>>I read an interview with Ben in which he said that it was about taking
>>his dog to the vet. I think that it's as plausible an explanation as
>any
>>other that has been offered.

yeah, i know (whoever said it) that the charlotte bit won't fit, but now
i can't stop picturing Ben cuddling a dog when i hear that song.  that
and the chickens in Fair - what are you people doing to me??!!:)

ANd now, dearest Pluvius,

>Well Well Well, I thought that being intelligent enough to listen to
the
>Holy Band would make you an intelligent flamer, but I never thought
that
>people would stoop to calling me a "Goat Swoggler". I expect better
from
>people as intelligent as you all.

now now, don't patronise people, it's not nice now, is it dear?
actually, I think "Goat Swoggler" is very highly imaginative and
creative insult.  constant swearing can get cumbersome on one's nerves,
although it does get rid of excess aggression

>And as far as being anti-Australian. I am no such thing. There is a
>difference between BFF related content and content which is not
appealing
>to anyone not in Autralia.

and (following Sarah's example), you're entitled to your opinion, even
if it does label you an ignoramus.  the content which you believe is of
no interest to any non-australian, IS BFF related and therefore
relevant.  It confuses me that you are rallying against talk about rage,
which bores you senseless apparently, yet are insisting on BFF topics of
conversation.  the subject titles have been something along the lines
of: "BFF on Rage", which, to me anyway, connects the two quite
obviously.  which leads me to ask the question - how can you not see the
relation between the two?  and whether or not it is appealing to you,
does not dictate whether we can or should talk about it or not.  there
are those who have pointed out their interest in hearing about it, and
you have no position of authority to assert in attempting to censure it.
So no, I don't see the difference you're trying to point out, if you
would care to explain yourself.  If you have not, by now, understood
what anyone meant by "tolerance", your opinions, in my view, are
territorial, xenophobic, and arrogantly self-centred.

 If you Americans are interested in crapola about
>rage, then that is sad.

and that comment proves it.  I can't remember who pointed it out, but i
get the idea that you're being antagonistic for the sake of it.  that is
an uneducated, ill-informed view that, along with the rest, is an
assertion without any foundation.  I don't want to get too big for my
boots, being a newby, but if you can't stand what everyone else is fine
with, perhaps you shouldn't be here.

[I'm sorry, Sarah, but that was completely unsatisfying!  and i probably
didn't even do it right.  damn.]

And i probably should've sent that directly to him too, i'm sorry, i
couldn't help myself.

Are there any Japanese Armchairers out there who can help me with
getting some of the BFF japanese version stuff?  or anyone??

bit long too, i know, sorry.

Que