Issue #538 - October 16, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest   Thursday, October 16 1997   Volume 01 : Number 538

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I
will try to help you.

BOUNCE, BOUNCE, BOUNCE
    I have been getting a lot of bounced digests lately, many due to
full mailboxes (but for other reasons as well). In a few days I will
begin weeding out any subscribers whose mail consistently bounces. If you
find yourself unsubscribed, this may be why.

WHEN REPLYING: Please change the subject of your reply to something
pertinent to the message. Don't leave it as "Magical Armchair Digest,
V1 #xxx" unless your mail client won't allow you to change it.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Ahhh! All my addresses are lost! Karen Tran if you're out there....
    Which one is better the first or the last???
    I love the word...
    MMBT, Moshing, and how we have to stop this thread!
    *Tongue 'firmly' in cheek*
    Lost Address (N.Brie.Rifua)
    pearl jam and BF5
    Eddie Walker
    How is she a brick? Like this, maybe...
    import singles and video
    hello!
    HELP ME! ARE THEY COMING TO FLORIDA??????????????????
    L.A. Show at the El Rey Theater
    bf5 and pearl jam?
    my own publicity for the band
    Name tags
    Hudson Valley SUCKS!

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 16:15:45 +1000
From: Derek Scott <scoco@netspace.net.au>
Subject: Ahhh! All my addresses are lost! Karen Tran if you're out there....

Hi
sorry to clog up the armchair with this but we just got windows 95 and all my addresses I had before have been wiped. Karen Tran, if you're reading, please mail me! I haven't got your e-address written down and I wanted to tell you about my photos of the Martin Place gig.
Sorry again, everyone
Claire

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 09:13:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: marc s kaplan <mkap@wam.umd.edu>
Subject: Which one is better the first or the last???

Some fine fellow wrote:
- -*of mine who in turn had found out about them from
- -*a friend of his. Now I liked Green Day then and I think that as most
- -*bands do, they have just improved over the albums. I mean, if they had
- -*not become MTV posterboys, chances are that they might not have even
- -*beentogether to make their new album

Sometimes it is true that bands get better with each successive album, and
sometimes their first is their best.  With green day I think you are right
they got better when they realized what it took to be popular and
successful.  But with some bands the first album is the best they will
ever do.  I'm not in a musican, like alot of you, so I don't know,but it
seems like there is a good reason for this.  It seems like on debut albums
a band records the stuff they have been playing for a while.  When a band
is a overnight success, like no doubt, bosstones, and others they are
rushed to produce a sophmore album for their huge fan bases.  Sometimes
due to the rushed nature of the second album, the stuff is just not as
good as the first album.

This is true of many bands.

Now, I know that BFF has only had 2 albums, but as an overall impression
which one do you guys like better?  I know we all love both of them, and
we are all sure that the next studio album will be great--but do you think
it will be better than the first two.  Its hard to imagine isn't it???

"(peace)

				-/\/\arc

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 09:25:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: marc s kaplan <mkap@wam.umd.edu>
Subject: I love the word...

Wanker--Do you aussies really use it???

That is the best freekin' word.
I'm just glad you found an appropriate person to use it on.  And there has
never been a more appropriate person to use it on than pluvius.

Most of us americans don't mind you telling us whats on rage, as long as
it has to do with bff, which it almost always does.

Sombody else said it great, if you don't want to read it--don't.  You
subscribe to the list, and if YOU dont want to read about bff on rage,
than dont, you wanker(hhehehe)

I love that word~!!!!

			-/\/\arc

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 22:16:11 -0400
From: Jessica Brandt <jbrandt@kent.edu>
Subject: MMBT, Moshing, and how we have to stop this thread!

>Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 02:15:54 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Eric Patton <shirak@umich.edu>
>Subject: My Take on Moshing...
>
>	I just returned from a Mighty Mighty Bosstones show, where I had a
>great time on the main floor, listening to 4 Boston skap bands, including
>Bim Skala Bim, and skanking. (Did I mention I like ska? :> ) Anyway,
>things are going fine right up until the Bosstones came on stage. I was
>near to the front with my friend Jeannie (a 5'4", buck-o-five pound Asian
>girl who couldn't arm-wrestle a flower). Anyway, the Bosstones come on
>stage, people rushed in to start a pit, and my friend was nearly crushed.
>Luckily, I had my Superman tights and cape on tonight, and I was able to
>drag her to saftey. Which is kinda cool, 'cuz now, technically, I own her.
>;) Anyway, my problem isn't moshing itself, because I've been known to
>jump in a pit once or twice, it's the disregard for the people around them
>when they make the pits. Anyway, that's my two cents.

I know i shouldn't condone this sort of non-BF5 chatter by replying to it,
but i had a similar, horrible experience at MMBt last year. i had spent ALL
the first two acts working my way up to the second row.....and as soon as
MMBT came on stage, i was crushed. i lost a show. AND (this is the good
part) i am 5'8", 250#!! yep, they came with such force that i had to
SQUEEZE myself outta there. i finally made my way to the back where there
was less of a crowd and i could skank and stuff.....but i was scared! i got
my shoe back, btw.
okay, now we have to end this thread.

jess

#   It's funny, isn't it?                                #
#      How your best friend can just blow up like that?  #
#                                                        #
#                                      (Mrs. Shazam)     #

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 09:28:31 -0600
From: "Erik C. Lyons" <EPA8820@epa.state.il.us>
Subject: *Tongue 'firmly' in cheek*

I was thinking (which isn't always a good thing). . .

Is Darren REALLY the best drummer? The latest rumor is that he and Ben
had a 'massive' argument regarding who was a better drummer. Ben was
upset that Darren wasn't keeping up and said, "I ought to come back there
and show you how to really play those things. . ." So there was a drum-off
and I can't remember who won. . .I think Robert did. . .

. . .and speaking of Robert and rumors. . .

There was a 'small' rumor going around that Robert has been choosen as
Pearl Jam's new bassist (that ought to put to rest the PJ vs. BFF bass
argument) and that Chuck Folds will be on the bass for the rest of the tour.

And if you believe this, then you will believe ANYTHING and I have a
bridge I want to sell you in Brooklyn. . .really!

Let's lighten up everyone!!!! Have fun, cheers!
- -Erik.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 10:44:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: MeandMrRay@aol.com
Subject: Lost Address (N.Brie.Rifua)

Hello guys,
        Sorry to use the armchair to help with my own personal
disorganization. I lost someone's address thats on the Armchair....and I hope
she will read this. Denise in Pittsburgh....I lost your address! I got your
tape all ready to send out, and I cant find the address. I did'nt have your
email address....so I could'nt find you. Send me Email (MeandMrRay@Aol.Com)
with your address so I can get the tape to you pronto. Thanks.

Greg.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 11:56:29 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Robert Stevie Berryman Jr." <gt5537b@prism.gatech.edu>
Subject: pearl jam and BF5

I am a big fan of both Pearl Jam and Ben Folds Five.  I got into pearljam
a while back, they made me able to appreciate other kinds of music like
Ben Folds Five.

Actually before people started talking about Pearl Jam on this list I was
going to mention that I thought it would be cool to see them on tour
together.  What if they were to play a few songs together?  How cool would
that be?  I would love to hear Ben Fold Five playing "Black" with Eddie
Vedder singing, or would love to see Mike McCready add a guitar solo to a
Ben Folds Five song.

Musically these bands are very different.  Both are exceptional at what
they do and all are great musicians.  But when it comes down to what a
band stands for, making music and pleasing "their" fans, Pearl Jam and Ben
Folds are a lot alike.  They each try to tour eough for all their fans
while trying to save the fans a buck.  Each band puts out a lot of music
whether it be new albums, b-sides, soundtracks, compilations or member
side projects.  I think both of these bands take the same stand on a lot
of public issues.  In general they both stand for general kindness to all
no matter what.  Both of these bands always try to do what they think is
best for "their" fans.  Both bands have a very strong and supportive fan
base, and I'm glad to be a part of both.

out
stevie

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 13:32:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brad654@aol.com
Subject: Eddie Walker

I'm under the impression there's a BF5 tune called "Eddie Walker, This Is
Your Life," although I've never heard it (there's little opportunity to buy
anything BF5-related here in Oklahoma; in fact, I bought Whatever in
Tennessee, and I've yet to see it in stores here in this sheep-scaring
state).

Anyway, I have the self-titled Snuzz CD (Snuzz is the NC band for which Chuck
Folds plays bass), and there are at least two references to Eddie Walker, one
of which asserts that "Eddie Walker's okay, so goodbye."

So who the hell is Eddie Walker, and what's his connection to the Folds
family?

Brad

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 13:33:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brad654@aol.com
Subject: How is she a brick? Like this, maybe...

> How is she a brick?  The first thought that comes to my mind
> is that she's a heavy weight dragging him down...which I guess
> is sort of a brave thing to admit.  I guess it could also mean that
> she's tough and grounded while he's drowning...
>
> Any opinions?

How about this: he's holding on to this brick out in the middle of the ocean.
If he could only let go, he'd stop drowning, but he can't seem to make
himself turn loose of that brick-- her.

She, in her guilt and sorrow of the whole thing (I'm in the abortion camp,
too), is dragging him down, and perhaps making it harder for HIM to get over
it. I don't mean to paint the speaker as a cold-hearted person who just wants
her to go away and let him get on with his life-- after all, there is the
"Can't you see it's not me you're dying for" line-- but I'm sure there is an
element there involving just moving on and getting over the trauma of the
situation.

My opinion.

Brad

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 16:30:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: JCannery@aol.com
Subject: import singles and video

For whoever asked about singles:  I highly recomend Music Boulevard.  Their
singles are 10.99, and if you live in the US, there's no shipping.  I can't
find their web page right now, but if you call 1-800-99-MUSIC, and just say
the artist and the name of the single (they have both Kate and Battle
singles, Where's Summer B.? and OAD I think), you should be able to order it.
 And it comes in 2 weeks (they say 4-7 days, but they're lying).  Plus the
lady who helped me was nice.

Also, I'm glad we're starting to get over this "slump" the Armchair has been
in, with mean comments and all.  So, maybe to start off some discussion: what
do you all think of Video?  It's a song that doesn't get as much attention as
some others, but I think it's such a great song.  One day I was sitting in my
boring French class, and that line, "and as I'm growing older I'm bored and I
remember when misery thrilled me much more..." ran through my head, and it
just made perfect sense.  You see, French class and school in general can
just be so boring sometimes, but I remember when I used to like going to
school.  So, as I'm growing older, I remember when things like that used to
be much more exciting...  Anyone else have any thoughts on the subject?

lindsay
My quote(s), from the prestigious New York Times:
NYTimes: Are you an alien?
John Tesh: No!
NYTimes: Well...if you were, would you admit it?
John Tesh:  No, probably not.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 16:12:09 -0400
From: gabsey@juno.com (Arielle K Stenstrom)
Subject: hello!

i just wanna say i just dumped 2 guys for a total dweb!!! well that is my
life for 2day!! i know u don't care but oh well

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 16:27:14 -0400
From: gabsey@juno.com (Arielle K Stenstrom)
Subject: HELP ME! ARE THEY COMING TO FLORIDA??????????????????

hello other bff fans.... does anyone know if they are coming to
florida???????????/ HELP ME PEOPLES!!!! thanx
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/gaby\/\/\/\/\/\/

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 17:07:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: MissDa@aol.com
Subject: L.A. Show at the El Rey Theater

hey l.a. bff fans... does anybody know if tickets for the l.a. show are on
sale yet?  if so, how do ya get 'em?  please respond in an email because i
have only been skimming the armchair lately... thanks bunches!

amanda

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 17:07:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: Landohappy@aol.com
Subject: bf5 and pearl jam?

I can't believe you guys are comparing Ben Folds Five to Pearl Jam. I haven't
written in a long time, but this really strikes me as an awkward comparison.
Also, if anyone wants to go see BF5 in Tampa next week I'll be leaving from
Gainesville to go see them, so email me privately. Carry on Wayward
Armchairians.

natalie.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 17:36:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jessica237@aol.com
Subject: my own publicity for the band

hey guys! what's goin on? it's been crazy around here lately...all of my
friends seem to be extremely interested in ben and the boys lately. i have
been getting request after request from my friends for me to make them a tape
of the band. i tell all of them to buy their cd and they all say they will
after they hear if they like them. for some reason, no one is willing to take
my advice and take the chance (a lack of funds may be the reason!!). it was
real funny, the other day, some kid in my latin class came over to me and
goes 'you're the girl who likes ben folds five, right?' and i said 'yah' and
he goes 'can u make me a tape of them? u're always talking about them and
they seem cool.' i got all excited and took his tape...and the list is
growing. maybe, hopefully, soon, all my friends won't groan when i bring up
bf5 once again...and i have a few pics and articles of them up in my article
and everyone who passes by has been glancing at them and a few people have
mentioned they've heard of them. get this--even my spanish teacher knows who
they are!!!! i was talking about how i'm gonna go see them in concert w/one
of my friends and she goes 'aren't they the band who sing that song that
starts with doo, doo, doo, doo, doo, doo...etc...etc...' and i was like
'battle of who could care less'? and she goes, 'yup, that's it! good song!' i
was very excited and suprised. looks like people know who our boys are!!!!
      --jess

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 17:48:20 -0400
From: JKCarr@kimbanet.com (James Keith Carr)
Subject: Name tags

Hello Armchair!!!!!!

I have been subcribed for awhile but this is my first post.  I was
wondering what the deal is on wearing name tags to the concerts.  I am
going to the Raliegh show on Sat.   *****I CAN'T WAIT****  I'm guessing
it's an armchair thing.  Just let me know.  Hey Burt! Tell me how your show
goes!

Luv to all!
ERIN

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 19:01:30 -0500
From: livid@cowland.com
Subject: Hudson Valley SUCKS!

       hi there, I'm not subscribed to the armchair w/ this address, the
one I subscribe w/ is el266071@hvcc.edu  and like I said HVCC sucks,
because I havent gotten any sort of e-mail in three days, including
Armchairs.  Have any Armchairs been sent out in the past few days?  If
not then maybe my whining and moaning isn't valid, but I have a feeling
that the lack of armchairs in my mailbox as of late is the fault of
hudson valleys servers, not majordomo.

       bff content:  I reluctantly picked up lounge-a-palooza yesterday.
I tried to find it on tape because I hate spending tons of money on a
fuggin cd and listening to just one song from it.  CDs are awfully
expensive.  and I couldnt even find lounge-a-palooza on cd, i only saw
it @ record town for like eighteen bucks & that is just ridiculous.  i
found it @ music shack for only fifteen after finding out that they
dontput it out on tape (which depresses me.  i hate buying cd's) and I
must say that the performance that bff gives of "she dont use jelly" is
spectacular to say the least, i LOVE the string bass & the string
section and oh its wonderful.

       lastly, i just wanna say if anyones tried e-mailing me @
el266071@hvcc.edu and I havent replied, now you know why..  sory :(