Issue #546 - October 19, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest    Sunday, October 19 1997    Volume 01 : Number 546

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I
will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

PERSONAL ATTACKS
   This is another reminder: Please keep the personal attacks off the
Armchair. If you want to call someone a moron, either call the Don Imus
show or send them e-mail directly. And don't post messages asking people
not to post personal attacks - that's my job. Keep non-BFF material to
a minimum as well.

WHEN REPLYING: Please change the subject of your reply to something
pertinent to the message. Don't leave it as "Magical Armchair Digest,
V1 #xxx" unless your mail client won't allow you to change it.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Ben-a-palooza
    Knoxville?
    eponymous vs. WaEA
    Phone
    Idnegent?
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #542
    Ticket story
    my first post!!!!!!
    couple of things...
    bf5 in ceramics

Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 10:55:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: Rebecca.Cole@mail.cc.trincoll.edu
Subject: Ben-a-palooza

I have to highly recommend Lounge-a-Palooza to anyone who can get their
grubby lil hands on it. I found mine in Tower Records in Manhattan, in
the lounge section, which I suppose makes perfect sense but I still had
to ask an employee to help me.

Anyway, the BF5 song is fantastic, with strings, funky lounge percussion,
and even a woman wailing operatically in the background. I love that each
of the boys takes a verse (is it Darren-Robert-Ben?). Other great tracks
are the Pizzicato Five cover of "Girl From Ipanema", Poe's "A Rose is a
Rose" and Combustible Edison's "Miniskirt." And I am of the opinion that
you can't go wrong when you get Steve Lawrence singing Soundgarden. Great
stuff, overall. But then I really like lounge music overall, so if you
don't like that kind of thing, don't buy it.

Oh, and I just want to add that Michael Bluejay is a BIG MEANIE for
teasing us with such a little tidbit of the AOL transcript. (Was that a
personal attack? sorry.) Where's the love? Come on here...

Stravinsky did the Rite of Spring right there on the floor,
Rebby

"What, is there no baseball field in heaven?"

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 11:35:17 -0400
From: Sybill <31676@utc.campus.mci.net>
Subject: Knoxville?

Does anyone know who is opening for BFF at the Knoxville show on Oct.
26?

Thanks...  I can't find any info about it anywhere!

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 12:00:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: DownBaby@aol.com
Subject: eponymous vs. WaEA

the first album is FAR superior to the second.  the second may be more
"polished," but in a sense, thats why its worse.  i get the feeling that a
lot of people are going to disagree with me.  unfortunatley, ive sort of lost
my passion for the band since the WaEA.  of course, im still going to run and
get tickets for their show at the supper club.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 12:56:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: JARAMINI@aol.com
Subject: Phone

<< - ->has there been a discussion about the phone ringing at 2:54 in
"Steven's
 - ->Last Night in Town" or not? That was the first thing that struck me
 - ->about the album. >>

I, like many reached for the phone the first few times I heard it. One thing
I'm wondering, is this actually a "strange noise" used for effect? OR Is it
possible, since this was recorded at home that they happened to get a call
during the recording and they just left it in because they liked it? Please
excuse me if thats ignorant, or praise me if it's brilliant.

Thanks,

John
jaramini@aol.com

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 16:29:31 -0400 (EDT)
From: marc s kaplan
Subject: Idnegent?

You wrote:
- -)Bottom line is this: support the band finacially, and make the new fans
- -)do the same. Talk the boys up, play their CDs at high volume and
- -)repeatedly, but don't make tapes for your friends. If they like BF5
- -)enough, they can go buy the music themselves. And CERTAINLY don't record
- -)BF5 on one side and WAEA on the other. Then they get nothing!

I don't think the band is really in that bad need of financial support.
I'm not saying that they are like millionaires, but I'm sure they have
money enough.  One of my freinds would never buy the cd w/out listing to
the band, so It only makes sence that tapes should be made.  Most people
would rather have the cd anyway, so if they "If they like BF5
enough" they, yes they will buy the cd.  But how are they going to know
about bff, unless sombody lets them listen to them??

				-/\/\arc

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 17:20:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: Sara  Cazeault
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #542

hello all! this is going to sound really random and silly, but i felt i
could share. ive been listening to Missing the War and Evaporated and i
realized something that rocks about bf5. you see, im a horrible singer,
but when i sing to bf5, i feel like i could win an emmy. its like, im so
deeply into the music that it just satisfies me to sing along really loud.
ok, ive bared enough of my soul for now. :)
smile!!!
love, sara

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 21:54:52 +0000
From: Shaft
Subject: Ticket story

        I just got back from getting my tickets from the El Rey show.  This
is going to be sooooo cool.  I can't wait!
        When I was standing around the counter at the local Ballbuster Music
at about 11:50, the clerk told everybody to get in line for the Reel Big
Fish tix.  I asked; "What if you're not here for Reel Big Fish?"  The clerk
(as with all the 12-year-old Gwen-a-bees) gave me a funny look.  She
inquired, "What else is on sale?"  Annoyed, I answered "Ben Folds Five."
"Oh," she said as she shrugged her shoulders, "I guess get in line with them
anyway."  They're so congenial over there ;)  I finally got tickets at about
12:03 PM.  Oh yeah - no offense intended if you're 12 years old or a
Gwen-a-bee.  That just happened to be who was waiting for the Reel Big Fish tix.
        I've listened to my $5.99 Travis CD a few times now, and it's good.
It's not one of my best CDs, but I do like it a lot.  I recommend everybody
show up early for their set.
        Take Care-
                        Andy     #:-)
                        University of California, Irvine
OK, I give in - In the disc changer:
        1) Mission of Burma - "Signals, Calls, and Marches"
        2) Blink 182 - "Dude Ranch"
        3) Travis - "Good Feeling"
        4) Lounge-A-Palooza
        5) Cornershop - "When I Was Born For the 7th Time"
        6) Rush - "Test For Echo"

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 18:14:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: Crissy995@aol.com
Subject: my first post!!!!!!

Well, here I am, another new poster and BFF addict! I remember it well, the
day I discovered the band... I was sitting in bed, listening to my radio
alarm go off and trying desperately to ignore it, when I heard this happy,
bouncy, kick-ass song on the radio! It was so amazingly catchy to me that I
sat right up and ignored my body's desperate cries to go back to sleep. I sat
and listened, and then the DJ told me that it was called "Best Imitation of
Myself", and that it was by Ben Folds Five. The rest is history... I ran out,
bought the CD, and have been happily obsessed ever since! I still consider it
my all time favorite song. (even though Kate and The Last Polka are very,
very close!!) Does anyone else have cool stories about their first time
hearing the band? I know I'd love to hear them... ta-ta for now!!

Christine

"I feel like a quote out of context, witholding the rest, so I can be for you
what you want to see"
Best Imitation of Myself

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 17:35:49 -0500 (CDT)
From: Elizbeth Hackett
Subject: couple of things...

1. On the subject of th whole Pearl Jam vs. BFF: I never really liked
Pearl Jam. Didn't they die or evolve or simply just break up a while back,
or am I out of touch?

2. I bought a used (yet in incredibly good shape) copy of Barry Black's
self-titled one with Darren and Ben on it for only $6.99. I listened to it
an hour or so ago and it ruled.

3. Has anybody seen any BFF singles and/or exports at big-name music
chains (i.e. Best Buy)? I know that someone said that they saw one at
Blockbuster Music but there aren't any in Madison. I'm a minor so I can't
have  a credit card, thus I can't buy them from places like CDNow and
MusicBlvd.com.

4. My brother just had to plan his college trip to Grinnell on 10/30, so I
can't get to the show at the Vic. Is anybody taping it? I can do a 1 for 1
or 2 for 1 blank tape exchange.

As those French people say,
"Au revoir."
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
Beth H.                                   -
http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/2029/ -
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
"And Beth still wears that stupid dress"
- -BFF

"Dear shame you have a mind of your own now"
- -Veruca Salt

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 16:20:08 PDT
From: "onion sprout"
Subject: bf5 in ceramics

hello all

well, i just wanted to say that i played my bf5 in my ceramics class on
friday and we all froliced and threw wet clay lovingly at eachother.
no, but they didn't make me turn it off (which was a surprise since
someone usually does).  oh well, i hope i can see them at westminster.
what are the latest details on the show?  hope you all have a nice day.

kim

P.S.  Be nice to your shoe salesperson.  They have mean bosses who
violate labor laws.