Issue #549 - October 21, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest   Tuesday, October 21 1997   Volume 01 : Number 549

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I
will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

PERSONAL ATTACKS
   This is another reminder: Please keep the personal attacks off the
Armchair. If you want to call someone a moron, either call the Don Imus
show or send them e-mail directly. And don't post messages asking people
not to post personal attacks - that's my job. Keep non-BFF material to
a minimum as well.

WHEN REPLYING: Please change the subject of your reply to something
pertinent to the message. Don't leave it as "Magical Armchair Digest,
V1 #xxx" unless your mail client won't allow you to change it.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Atlanta Rules!
    Re:The "Best Album" debate
    We can be happy...
    elvin bishop
    abbreviations......
    Evaporated Rocks!
    Music and bff
    Re: BFF in Philly
    BF5 artwork, and Mohammed Ali auction
    Dree-ee-ee-ee-eam, dream, dream, dree-eam...
    Which is best?
    Which one is better?
    Raleigh show

Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 21:02:45 -0400 (EDT)
From: Gymnasia10@aol.com
Subject: Atlanta Rules!

I saw the show in Atlanta too!  I have just gotten hooked on BFF and they are
wonderful!  I am so excited to have a band with a piano.  Tho, I have to
agree with Burton...the opening band is a little too loud, a little too
obnoxious, and played a little too long.  The Roxy didn't fill up until BFF
came on the stage...I guess there was a reason for that...these people who
showed up late were warned.  I even got to hear BFF rehearse outside after I
paid $10 to park!  That was worth that much money!

What's in the CD player:

1.  They Might Be Giants - Factory Showroom
2.  Vivaldi - Gloria
3.  Fleetwood Mac - The Dance
4.  BFF - BFF
5.  Duncan Sheik - Duncan Sheik

Ginger

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 19:43:40 -0600
From: fost0017@badger.snow.edu (The Insatiable Mot)
Subject: Re:The "Best Album" debate

Well kids,

        In regards to this "best BFF album" discussion, I must say that I'm
pretty much at a draw on the issue. It all depends on what mood I'm in,
really.
        BFF (the first album) has my all-time fave BFF song, "Best
Imitation". But "Smoke" is a close second. If I'm in a really happy mood,
or feel down on myself, I listen to the first one. I really seem to relate
to the emotions on it a lot more.
        If I want to just wallow in sorrow or self pity, I listen to WaEA.
I'm not really sure why; just, to me, this album has a more mature,
regretful and nostalgic quality to it.
        If pressed on the issue, however, I think I'd have to agree with
Que and say that, by an EXTREMELY narrow margin, WaEA is the better album.
That's based on pure grounds of album consistency. Also, many of you have
noted that the first album is better because that's how we "found" the
band. But I think the opposite. I like WaEA because I'd ALREADY found the
band, memorized every single syllable on the album, and played it to
everyone I knew. I really anticipated the release of the second album.
        Also, in regards to the so-called "sophomore slump", only some
bands go through that. PJ did, yes. Here are some that didn't: Squirrel Nut
Zippers, Royal Crown Revue, Blink-182, New Order, and the Cure. Keep in
mind that these are only my opinions. Sorry this is so long; I guess I'm
just really bored...

                                        Hugs and Kisses,
                                         Tim Foster '97

        "Behold the pelvic gyrations of my victory boogie!"
                                        -- Space Ghost, SGC2C

        In my CD player:
                1. "Whatever and Ever Amen", Ben Folds Five
                2. "Sold Out", Squirrel Nut Zippers
                3. "Substance", New Order
                4. "Dude Ranch", Blink-182
                5. "Hang Ups", Goldfinger

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 20:58:04 -0500 (EST)
From: Peter Dean Mast
Subject: We can be happy...

Hey guys!

Well, as a new poster (thanks Em!), I'll put in my two cents.  First of
all, I will have to go with the original album as my favorite, but I tell
you, very rarely will I put one of the cd's in my changer and not
eventually put the other one in.  I love them both.  I don't know that I
would say that the second album was that much mroe polished.  I think
that with the first album, they recorded exactly what they were good
about, music that was "Ben Folds Five".  I think that in WEAEA, they were
a little more influenced by pop culture and wrote music that was a little
more oriented to selling albums.  But then again, they also kept in songs
like Brick and Cigarette, that I can't help but think were written solely
for the purpose of writting them, not for the fans, not for the radio
stations.  The end result was an album that had a little bit more aimed
towards what the "public" is used to, plus a few kick-ass songs that were
totaly and completely Ben Folds Five.

As for copying tapes, here's my view.  I got hooked on BF5 by a friend,
who had convinced me to go to the concert.  So, he loaned me his CD's,
and I copied them.  But as soon as I got back from the best concert I
have ever attended, I bought their CD's for myself, because I wanted the
better sound, and because my tapes were almmost worn out because I played
them so much.

Hey, any suggestions for ways to convince Ben Folds to play at my
college? People would go crazy for them, if we could get them on campus.
Last year we had STP and They Might Be Giants, and TMBG became a huge hit
on campus.  This year we've had Mathcbox 20 and Counting Crows, but it's
time for some good, not so "pop" music.

Pete

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 22:38:17 -0400
From: Vito Biliti
Subject: elvin bishop

hi
I remember seeing a thing for a BF5 song called Elvin Bishop. Is this
really a song? I know it's a real guy- My calendar says his Birthday is
Tuesday, I think.  (Happy birthday Elvin!) He's a musician.  If anyone can
help me out, e-mail me privately.

Later,
Vito

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 23:55:40, -0500
From: MZEH25B@prodigy.com (JAMES E OWSLEY)
Subject: abbreviations......

sheesh!!!

you'd think that peeps could just take the time to write out the full
name of the song...(you know who you are sweetheart)....and i m just
giving u a bad time......but for those of us who don't have an index
of the songs with abbreviations in our heads, maybe you could try to
type out Best Imitation of Myself instead of "biom".......because it
would make reading a lot easier.... and thats about it....for now at
least.

                                                   el bokk.
           <------notice the abbreviation?   :Þ

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 19:08:20 -0500 (CST)
From: Nate Mathews
Subject: Evaporated Rocks!

	To Lucy: I go to a small school myself, unfortunately it's not as
enlightened as yours. Anyway, I LOVE the song Evaporated, it's so achingly
beautiful and I love to listen to it when I'm sad. Anyone else share my
sentiments?

				Nate

 Cross Country: Finally a practical use for golf courses

Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 18:43:42 +1000
From: Nick Memmott
Subject: Music and bff

Hey guys,
    more rantings for you. I am now sorry that I got involved in the album
debate (even though I tried to show they were both excellent progressions),
and even though it was probably a goood thing to get people's minds off
other stale topics, I think I now have to agree with Rebecca that it
doesn't really matter which album is better, and although putting forward
ideas is good, I'm gonna settle for the truth - that they are two of the
best albums in a very long time, and there isn't too much difference
between top albums.
     As well as the Brick thing, personally I think that although people's
ideas are great, it's better to concentrate on the beauty of the music, and
how it makes you feel rather than the exact meanings behind every
reference. As Petra said, It was a very emotional F# !     I think that the
beauty of music, especially BFF, is the way it makes you feel, and the way
it sounds to you, rather than what the record company or press releases
tell you it is supposed to mean. Music isn't a text book, it is sounds that
you interpret in your own way, and that bring out unique feelings in you.
It's based on how YOU perceive it, not on anything else (a good example is
the Misheard lyrics thing), and the words, images or patterns in your head
are what matters most.
     Every time I hear a different Ben Folds Five song, despite the fact
that they sometimes seem similar, it brings out a different feeling in me,
and the way I see a song may be totally different to what everyone else
thinks, but that is the way its supposed to be, and I think Ben Folds Five
achieve what they set out to achieve - great songs.
      Anyway, sorry to waste so much space with my ravings. If you have a
different view I would be more than happy to hear it. That's all for now.

Cya
NICK

"Here I stand....Sad and free....."

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 06:28:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: "D . Hokanson"
Subject: Re: BFF in Philly

Did all you Philly-area armchairites see that Ben is coming back.  He is
coming to the Electric Factory on November 9.  Unfortunatelly I cannot
make the show.  If anyone from the list goes email me aboutthe show.

Thx,

Donna

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Oct 97 07:09:46 -0500
From: Michael Bluejay
Subject: BF5 artwork, and Mohammed Ali auction

When the boys played here in Austin in April, I presented them with some
artwork I created for them.  It's the words "Ben Folds Five", drawn in
such a way that it reads the same way upside-down as rightside-up.  It's
on my web page if anybody has any interest in it.

By the way, I just heard on the news that an auction of Mohammed (sp?)
Ali memorabilia (he's the subject of "Boxing") brought in $1.2 million,
with the most expensive item being $140,000 for the robe Ali wore when he
beat George Foreman in 1974.  Me, I hate boxing (the activity, not the
song), but I'm almost Ben's age, and we grew up with the same pop culture.

Finally, please stop beating me up about my not posting the interview.
I'll post it soon, okay?

 -- Michael Bluejay (Austin, TX)

  http://pobox.com/bluejay  | Home of AUSTIN MUSIC, KING CHEESE,

Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 08:50:48 -0500
From: westlyon@ultranet.com (Anne Lyons)
Subject: Dree-ee-ee-ee-eam, dream, dream, dree-eam...

Hello the 'Chair!

I'm back... (in black... I hit the sack, and I may even cut loose from the
noose)! [Complete aside: Hey! There's another song/band I'd love to hear
BFF cover... AC/DC's "Back in Black" -- I'm not sure why I thik all this
heavy metal/classic rock would sound cool, but I do.] Any-hoo, getting back
to the original reasons for this post:

1.) I have returned... some of you know me well and some of you not at all,
but I am happy to be back receiving the 'Chair at my new job. So all of you
who know me... take note of the new e-mail address and drop me a line...
I've missed you all! = (

2.) I had another Ben-dream last night. I was riding shotgun in an
18-wheeler with Ben driving and Darren and Robert in the back creating clay
sculptures. (No, I don't know why... but it may have had something to do
with the fact that we were rushing to summer camp to be camp counselors
(?). Again... clueless as to the meaning of all this). Ben was driving fine
until we hit this dirt road that was elevated, and he had to swerve to miss
some construction workers so he was driving diagonally along the embankment
for a while. Once he got back up on top, we looked at each other and
started laughing hysterically. And that's it. Hey, I don't know why my
brain works the way it does, I just report the dreams so the other freaky
fans that have Ben-dreams know that they aren't alone in their psychosis.

3.) Anyone who is going to the Boston show on the 4th... e-mail me and
let's see if we can meet & shake hands (and I swear I'm not as psychotic as
my dreams make me sound!)

I'm oh-so-happy to be back!

- -Anne

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 13:50:34 +0000
From: Helen E Cross <9609062c@student.gla.ac.uk>
Subject: Which is best?

I've been lurking a good few months now and thought it was about time
I stuck my nose out to say something, and this seems like a good one.
To whoever it was decided it was boring - Im sorry but I think it's
one of the best threads I've seen here.

I've been listening to the band for the best part of a year now - and
it just gets better. My favourite song changes by the day - I'm going
through a bad break-up at the moment, and I do a little Selfless /
Imitation / Dumped combo that keeps me stable, but overall I am
 into "Sports and Wine" as a seriously underated little piece of fun.

In terms of the albums, which is what I wanted to talk about - well,
it's a difficult decision. I think I will be a bit fluttery and say
that while I like the songs on BFF better, WEAEA is the better album
when listened to as a whole - it has a good musical and emotional
progression through the album. However (changing my mind again) I
find myself listening to BFF more and more recently - partly because
I do tend to listen - whilst washing up or ironing. Every time that I
listen to it the songs give me something different to think about
 - they have the greater intensity that is so common with first
albums.

So, there we go. (a pointless phrase, but my favourite).
This is all very exciting, after hanging around for so long. Will I
dare send it? I'd better go, whatever. I'm waiting for a live outing
in Glasgow - heard something about the QM union in December, but
nothing concrete over there yet.... I'll be back to bug everyone
nearer the time about that.

Ok, I'm going (so long-winded - you should hear me on the phone, I
just don't know when to shut up)

bye,
HelenX

(...we're all impressed how sensitive you are)
(I  hope that's right - my hearing's appalling and I've misquoted
before - how embarrassing)

that's all folks...(insert chuckle)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 09:20:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: Fargo38@aol.com
Subject: Which one is better?

I have to place my vote for the first album.
I like to break both albums into three sets of
four songs, which gives you this...

Album 1:

Jackson Cannery
Philosophy
Julianne
Where's Summer B?

Album 2:

One Angry Dwarf...
Fair
Brick
Song for the Dumped

I see Philosophy edging out Brick, just.
Jackson taking out One Angry...
Julianne and Fair about equal
And Summer B slightly better than Dumped.

Album 1:

Alice Childress
Underground
Sports and Wine
Uncle Walter

Album 2:

Selfless, Cold and Composed
Kate
Smoke
Cigarette

Selfless and Alice are a tie, maybe a slight edge to Selfless
Underground and Kate, give the edge to Underground
Sports and Wine and Uncle Walter crush the competition

Album 1:

Best Imitation of Myself
Video
The Last Polka
Boxing

Album 2:

Steven's Last night in Town
Battle of Who Could Care Less
Missing the War
Evaporated

Both are incredibly strong finishes...
but even if we call them a tie, the first album has the edge overall.

And that's how I see it.

Sorry about the length of this post.

Clay

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 09:37:10 -0400
From: "Lance E. Johnson"
Subject: Raleigh show

Hi, all!

Drove the five hours to the Raleigh show this past weekend, and had a great
time, of course.  I saw that somebody posted about how awful Venus Flytrap
Girls were as openers at the Atlanta show.  I don't know if that's who
opened for BF5 at this show since they constantly mumbled their name, but I
thought that they reminded me somewhat of the Stray Cats, but more so Dick
Dale. I thought that they were pretty good.  A semi-unique sound and very
different from the boys.  We had two openers actually, the first being a
local band who echoed BF5 in style but not in showmanship or melody.
Really not that good (Big Band Theory, the name of the band).

BF5 finally came on stage around 11:00 and rocked the house.  Ben didn't
have as much banter with the crowd as usual, but a memorable line about
"One Angry Dwarf" was:

"People wonder if I got beat-up a lot in school, but I wrote it from the
other point of view.  I used to kick a lot of motherfucker's asses.
Robert's a sexy motherfucker."

Other highlights included:

1. A great jam during Philosophy
2. Dr. Pyser blew the roof off the place.
3. For an encore, they played Song for the Dumped and did a nice re-mix of
it with a hip-hop edge.  Pretty intense.

I was standing near Ben's mother for most of the show and saw Kate make a
couple of visits to the bar.  A little disappointed knowing that the show
wasn't sold-out and it was near Ben's hometown.  Some people just don't get
it!

There you go.  I might try to catch them at the Floodzone in Richmond, VA
as well, so maybe we'll see one another.

Take it easy!

Lance

"Who's got the looks, who's got the Brains, who's got everything?"
BF5

"You got the look, you got the hook." Prince