Issue #555 - October 23, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest   Thursday, October 23 1997   Volume 01 : Number 555

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I
will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

MULTIPART MESSAGES
   Please do not post multipart messages. These are messages which
contain images, html or other non-text parts. They greatly expand the size
of the digests, which are already running fairly large these days, and may
inconvenience many readers. If you wish to post a picture, put it on your
web page and post a message with the url, or post a message saying you
have a picture and will e-mail it to people on request. If you are not
sure how to post text-only messages, check with your system administrator.

WHEN REPLYING: Please change the subject of your reply to something
pertinent to the message. Don't leave it as "Magical Armchair Digest,
V1 #xxx" unless your mail client won't allow you to change it.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    From an Australian perspective......
    I had a dream!!!!
    Play on Words???
    Mail failure

Date: Wed, 22 Oct 97 16:02:59 ADL
From: "HARDING, Robyn"
Subject: From an Australian perspective......

     Hey!

     Now, I just would like to say that there really doesn't seem to be
     anything but an American perspective on the whole best song/album
     thing. Not that it's a bad thing, because where I live, I rave forever
     about BF5 , and people are like, who?

     Basically, i prefer WEAEA, especially cuz ONE ANGRY DWARF..... seems
     to be my life story, or something!

     EXCEPT there is an excellent radio station here in Australia called
     JJJ (Triple J) - it's a national station, and they are THE ONLY
     STATION IN THE COUNTRY to play their stuff, which I find sooo
     disappointing, and yet, they toured here a few weeks ago,a dn do you
     think i could get a ticket? N-O spells no.

     I'm doing my utmost to get a following happenin' here, so I shall keep
     you posted.

     If anyone wants to mail me direct, feel free, always happy to hear
     from neew people....

     IN MY CD PLAYER:

     BF5 - Whatever and ever amen
     REGURGITATOR - Tuplang
     ICE T - Return of the REal (VI)
     PEARL JAM - Vitalogy
     PLATEAU - Self titled

     Ta all

     Keep dancin'

     Ribbon xx

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 02:29:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: BlueJellow@aol.com
Subject: I had a dream!!!!

Hey fivers,

I had a dream about Robert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was so cool.  I don't remember
all about it, except that he was in my living room and we were talking.  I do
rembember being very attracted to him.... :)  Ah yes, someone said something
about the Austin Powers soundtrack.  It is sooo good. I've had it since June,
and it's kinda still in my disc changer.  The songs are sooo funny!! I love
the one by the Cardigans and the one by Ming Tea.  There are also some
strictly instrumental pieces by George Clinton and "his orchestra."  It's
just kick ass, go and buy it....

Lucy

Help the Holograms!!!! (Jem and the Holograms back on television!)
http://members.aol.com/JUICE320/hth.html
help_the_holograms@rocketmail.com
WE WANT JEM!

Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 09:09:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: marc s kaplan
Subject: Play on Words???

Hey, guys and gals waz up?

Thanks for all your disscussion on the battle of the albums.  I have
resolved that both albums are great, and I like songs from both.

But I have another question that I hope somobody can help me out w/

Ok, Is where's summer B? a play on words?

Like "where does summer be"? w/ summer standing for summer(I guess the
name of a girl--darren's girlfreind" from the context.  and 'b' standing
for 'be'?  Is it possible that its a dobule meaning???

If so thats kinda of nifty, poetic, and symbolic.

Or is it like "where's summer b." as in summer being the first name, and
B. being the inital for the last name.

also, Does anybody know anything about the georgetown show, or any other
show around MD-DC area???

Thanks everybody

			-/\/\arc

------------------------------

Date: 22 Oct 97 01:14:00 GMT
From: admin@world-wide.wdl.bbc.co.uk
Subject: Mail failure

DATE:  10-19-97     TIME:  02:00
FROM:  MHS:armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl

TO:  MHS:armchair@ford.il.fontys.nl
SUBJECT:  Magical Armchair Digest V1 #545
PRIORITY:

Magical Armchair Digest    Sunday, October 19 1997    Volume 01 : Number 545

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I
will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

PERSONAL ATTACKS
   This is another reminder: Please keep the personal attacks off the
Armchair. If you want to call someone a moron, either call the Don Imus
show or send them e-mail directly. And don't post messages asking people
not to post personal attacks - that's my job. Keep non-BFF material to
a minimum as well.

WHEN REPLYING: Please change the subject of your reply to something
pertinent to the message. Don't leave it as "Magical Armchair Digest,
V1 #xxx" unless your mail client won't allow you to change it.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Wierd Sounds
    It Sucks To Be Under 21 (or 18 for that matter)
    BFF at Cornell U.
    sweet sounds
    BFF Windows Theme
    its short!
    BFF Stew again
    Japanese CD and other stuff
    depressing music
    Which CD??
    Re:  Magical Armchair Digest V1 #543
    Bass and stuff
    Drummers
    names in song titles
    ICQ BF5 chat room is running again
    Bootlegs wanted
    HMV top 40
    which album is better....

Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 20:33:57 -0500 (CDT)
From: Chris Knestrick
Subject: Wierd Sounds

Well, I guess I'm not the only one hearing crickets in Cigarette! :-)
Thought I was going crazy for a while there!  I just listened to Steven's
Last Night In Town to hear this infamous telephone, and realized I'd heard
the sound before, just never equated it to a telephone (probably because my
phone has a bell ringer, so that's what I'm used to).  Now the question is,
are these sounds intentional, or accidental?  I always figured the crickets
were a bleed-thru sound from the outside (since it was recored in a house).
After hearing the phone-sound, I'm wondering if that's not an accidental
sound that they left in intentionally.  Since it was recorded in Ben's
house, I imagine at times he did get phone calls (all the times I've been
recording and the f@!#ing phone rang!), and they just left it in.  Possibly?

Chris
Chris Knestrick
MTSU Box 8924				Ironia Imperatrix Mundi
1301 E Main St
Murfreesboro, TN 37132
(615)867-3583

- ------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 21:54:43 -0400
From: "John E. Fahey"
Subject: It Sucks To Be Under 21 (or 18 for that matter)

Well it's cool that BFF is finally coming up to New England, and only a
two hour drive away at that. But it sucks that I fall about 6 years
under the minimum age requirement. I think to sum up my emotions for
this, I will quote Darren Jessee from "For Those Of Ya'll Who Wear Fanny
Packs", "GOOD DAMNN!!!!!!!"

cheers,
john

- ------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 22:49:54 -0400
From: Matt Claussen
Subject: BFF at Cornell U.

hi! is anyone else going to the show up here in cold, grey NY? fling me some mail, and we can
organize ticket purchasing or something. anyone else in
 the Ithaca/Binghamton/Syracuse area can come too.

Matt Claussen
mjc16@cornell.edu

"Faith lies past a circle."

00000000000000000
00000001110000000
00000100000100000
00001000000010000
00001000000010000
00000100000100000
00000001110000000
00000000000000000

- ------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 20:51:30 -0400
From: schander@juno.com (joe s schanderson)
Subject: sweet sounds

As someone who had owned and become quite smitten by BF5's debut for a
long time before WAEA came out, I will Switzerlandly declare a tie. As
some people have mentioned, the more produced, tighter sound often found
on indie groups' second album is often simply that they have gotten
better. I think a tie is okay. Let's look for just a moment;

1st - Philosophy, Best Imitation, Underground, Jackson Cannery, Alice
Childress

2nd- Brick, Evaporated, Stevens, Battle, Dumped, One Angry Dwarf, Missing
the war

I'm sure many of you have noticed that I left GREAT songs off both lists.
That's my point.

One listee wrote that WAEA went "WAY DOWN IN QUALITY." I'm sorry, I'm not
saying they are wrong but just looking at the seven songs I listed from
WAEA, how could that be true.

Do I believe their third will be even better? I expect nothing less.

joe

P.S. I agree with brad about the taping thing. If you're going to try and
hook someone on BF5, take the drug dealer approach. Put a couple songs on
a tape for free to get them hooked and then make them buy the rest.

- ------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 21:45:19 -0600
From: uselink@juno.com (Jeremy V Davis)
Subject: BFF Windows Theme

I had a question for the people out there.
Have any of you found a BFF Win95 theme? Because I'm in the middle
of making my own and was wondering if it would be of any interest to
anyone else. If so I'll find some server space and link it to my web
page.
Mail me if interested and I'll hurry up and make it available.

Lates,
           Jer

- - -----------------
"I see that there is evil and I know that there is good" - BFF

- ------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 00:12:42 -0400
From: jaedonely@juno.com (A A DONELY)
Subject: its short!

Hey guys, whats up?
Its my 16th birthday October 20th, I know nobody cares but Id love some
happy messages.:)
Im terribly excited about the Northhampton show. I hope I can go-Im
pulling the birthday angle.:)
You know, I cant pick a favorite Ben Folds Five song! I totally love the
fact that the two cds are definetly parallely structured.  I only Really
listened to Boxing, Video , and Evaporated recently.  Lyrically........
Elisabeth

- ------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 00:25:34 -0500 (EST)
From: Matt Moberly
Subject: BFF Stew again

I have 3 more ideas, hence another post.
First of all, I'm surprised lately that so many people have been saying
they find WEaE lacking in comparison to the debut album. I mean, I really
love the first album and some tracks like Julianne and Best Imitation (I
won't go in to favorites) are awesome. But the second album shows more
foresight and creativity by the band (i.e. writing the KLEZMATICS into
Stephen's... if you've heard it without the horns, it doesn't compare),
and I would say it competes with the first quite well.
Secondly, I can't find the Lounge-a-palooza CD anywhere! I went to the
most reliable place I know, and told the guy exactly what the album was
and who was on it, and when I got done, he smirked and said "It would be
pretty cool if someone actually MADE the album you're talking about." UGH!
Lastly, is Eddie Walker available, live or demo, on any singles? I have a
copy of it on the end of a demo, and it is one of the best songs they've
ever done! It's so sentimental, I think moreso than Brick. I got the blue
Kate single tonight, but it had the songs that the orange one's sticker
(bad idea, pretty people), so what's on the other single? And is there a
single with Rocky on it? Ok, that's all the questions. Brain empty, post
done.

Matt

"I've found that people will watch anything, as long as it's dumb."
- - --Beavis

- ------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 23:25:08 PDT
From: "Petra Starke"
Subject: Japanese CD and other stuff

First thing: NO ONE ELSE WRITE TO ME ABOUT THE JAPANESE CD!! There has
already been a winner, so to speak. So if you're thinking about it,
please don't, my mail box is on a diet. :)

And some final things before I unsubscribe temporarily from this
brilliant digest in lieu of school exams:

1ST: Does anyone else appreciate the fantastic poetry in the line "But
you just smiled like a bank teller / blankly telling me 'have a nice
life'" ? I can't get over the sublime wordplay of "bank teller / blankly
telling". Isn't it just fantastic? Certainly worth raving about, even if
it is only one line (or two, as the case may be).

2ND: I know I've mentioned this in passing before, but I feel it must be
said again: how groovy is Darren's drum 'solo' in Steven's last night in
town? Answer = extremely. If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's
the bit just before "We were talking bout something...". It lasts about
4 seconds but should be about 40, in my opinion. Darren mate, we love
ya!

And with that, she carefully reads the directions at the top of the
digest and tries to unsubscribe without harming anyone, calling anyone a
wanker, being a wanker and insulting any races, or taking up valuable
armchair space.

All my love to Uncle Walter!

Love ya and leave ya,

Petra

(Now I'm smoke...)

- ------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 00:42:10 PDT
From: "ballet grrl"
Subject: depressing music

  bff isn't really depressing, per se, but you have to admit, their
songs aren't exactly the happiest in the world. i personally think that
ben sounds a little bit bitter. so to say that you don't want to listen
to pearl jam because their music is depressing is a little humorous. i
love the boys just as much as everyone else, but seriously...they don't
sing many happy little love songs. (which is why i love "Kate" so much)

   but anyways, i thought that i would contribute my list of bands that
i think everyone should listen to. that was the real point of this post,
but i didn't want to not have anything else to say. so, here goes:

   juliana hatfield, blake babies, toad the wet sprocket, blind melon,
leah andreone, sarah mclachlan, weezer, and the lemonheads.

  okay, everyone!! thanks for listening!

         love you all more than a bear loves butter,

                      sara aka grrl

- ------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 03:00:02 PDT
From: "Flying Nun"
Subject: Which CD??

All right, hows about we balance everything out a bit?  So far we have
one person (that's me!) for WaEA, and everyone else who's talked about
it, for the first one.  Let's bring on everyone else!!

anyway, in response to some of the stuff I've been reading about it,
someone wrote (I was skimming - sorry!) that WaEA was more of the same,
or something along those lines, and therefore not as good because they
haven't had much time to make something else equally fantastic, and that
people were generally underwhelmed somewhat because of it (i think, i
might have jumbled people's opinions up or something).  well what I was
trying to say before was that BFF, even though they're all really great
and wonderful and everything else blah blah, blah, blah, world without
an end amen, at the time of the first album, they were still somehow
getting used to the idea of them as one band.  I mean, they hadn't been
together all that long, even if they were experts at their respective
instruments way before they got together.  not that the first album was
godawful, i love it to bits, but that's where whole raw thing everyone
likes was from, right?  (i'm probably losing people with my ramblings,
I'm like the old drunk guy at the pub mouthing off while no one
listens).  so anyway, the second album was more refined, and in that
sense completely different from the rough-around-the-edges-type first
one, and the fact that it keeps everyone's attention so completely means
that the guys are able to develop as a band without losing the whole
'novelty' bit of them having no guitar.  hang on, i think i'm getting to
a point now.  the second album proved that they are the brilliant
musicians that they are,  (i think that's it.  but there's more anyway),
and that's why i like it just that little bit more (for the moment
anyway). one more thing is that i don't believe anyway that the second
was the same as the first, somehow it's completely different, and if
anyone can explain why to me, the musically illterate and generally
confused chick, that'd be nice and much appreciated.  the fact that they
managed to sound so much more refined while recording in Ben's house
while it was still being fixed up...[finish sentence for Que here].
It's like watching something grow, and you like what it's become, or
becoming.  and now, i have myself thoroughly confused by what i've
written, and can only hope that someone will bother to try and figure it
out, and tell everyone that i actually have written something profound.
i might actually change my mind.  whoever said it's easier to just say
which songs you like is DAMN RIGHT!!

Marc, use wanker by all means, i don't think anyone would mind, and
there's no copyright on it.  if everyone used words restricted to their
own country, we'd all be thoroughly confused by now.

I've confused myself, and it took a really long time to do it...
Que

- ------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 06:25:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: Scoota97@aol.com
Subject: Re:  Magical Armchair Digest V1 #543

hey gang,

	for those of ya'll who want b-sides and demos.....I have in my posession a
tape which contains most of the b-sides and rarities (including
Rocky,Protection,cool whip etc...) e-mail me privately and I'll send you the
actual setlist.

gotta run

Later,
~Scott

- ------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 16:24:39 +1000
From: "BECK"
Subject: Bass and stuff

Well, I think erik summed it up best,
lets just respect each others opinions
If I said the Chili Peppers are my favband
you guys would probably laugh (by the way
I think John Frusciante's solo album is a
master peice!)

Anyway ATTN BASS Players! Has anybody
come across BFF transcriptions for bass? I have
looked and looked, but alas, I have found none.
I am mid-way through tabbing the boys, She Don't
Use Jelly cover, so when I'm doing I'll let you know,
I'm having a bit of trouble with the bridge between the
chorus and the next verse.

Anyway, I gotta go catch my Kangaroo to uni.

Matt

- ------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 16:36:48 +1000
From: "BECK"
Subject: Drummers

I just heard someone bagging Jack Irons, the current
drummer for PJ. I'd just like to say settle, the guys
been in a mental institution since Hillel Slovaks death!
In his Chili Peppers days he and Darren had a lot in
common, as far as playing the high-hats go, so I guess
it will just take time for Jack to settle in. I'm just glad he's
back

Matt

- ------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 22:04:06 +1000
From: Derek Scott
Subject: names in song titles

Hi all
>I was going through the track titles and wondering how many of these songs
>are about real people as oppose to stereotypes.  like..

>Julianne - real random hook up or is ben describing the experience
>summer b
>alice childress
>uncle walter
>kate - duh
>steven - from what i hear there really was a steven
>eddie walker - i dunno, haven't heard it
I myself was thinking exactly the same thing - how cooll it was that there are so many song
titles with people's names in them. I love songs about pe
ople!
I count Jackson's Cannery and Mitchell lane as well, even though I know they're not people.
Anyway,
ta~ta
Claire

- ------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 22:04:00 +1000
From: Derek Scott
Subject: ICQ BF5 chat room is running again

Hi all
I have finally gotten around to re-downloading ICQ so the BF5 ICQ chat room is again up and
running, as soon as people join in again. The UIN in 4233
840.
Come and join in whenever you can!
Claire

- ------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 09:06:35 -0400
From: Steffen Donath
Subject: Bootlegs wanted

Hi

I am very interested in high quality audience or soundboard recordings from
BFF shows. Especially from the 1997 H.O.R.D.E shows with string quartet.
Loads of stuff to trade.

Please contact me privately.

Steffen

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/SDonath - BFF webpage

- ------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 23:25:12 +1000
From: Anna
Subject: HMV top 40

Hey People,

        Went into HMV today and picked up their top 40 list. I don't know if
you guys are interested but on the 29th of Septmeber WAEA was no. 35 on the
HMV top40. As of 13th of October they are now no. 27. Isn't it GREAT!!

        Well I just liked to let you wonderful people know.

        As for the better album, I can't make my mind up. I have favourites
from both and they keep on changing. Both are EXCELLENT!

        I saw the four video clips when it was shown on RAGE and I just have
to say that I love the Uncle Walter video clip. It's the best one they have
made. What do you think?

                        Keep Smiling,
                                Anna B

- ------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 09:57:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: Shiry@aol.com
Subject: which album is better....

the first one. i don't really know why i like it better but i definitely do.
there are so many *really* good songs on it and not really any songs that i
don't like whereas on weaea  there are a lot of good songs but a few that i
don't really like at all. i bought weaea first and i really loved that but
then when i bought the first one i was amazed that they had anything out
there better than weaea. all in all though, i love both of their cds and
could never do without them, they make me happy. :)  about making tapes for
friends.. when i first listened to weaea after i bought it, i fell in love
with the band and i just had this huge urge to share this awesome new
discovery so the very next day i made a tape for one of my friends who i
thought would like them as much as i did. she ended up also falling in love
with them (who wouldn't??) and she actually went out and bought weaea. so,
there's really no point to this but.. i'm just justifying giving my friend a
tape I suppose... :) that's all for now.

dk