Issue #567 - October 28, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest   Tuesday, October 28 1997   Volume 01 : Number 567

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I
will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

MULTIPART MESSAGES
   Please do not post multipart messages. These are messages which
contain images, html or other non-text parts. They greatly expand the size
of the digests, which are already running fairly large these days, and may
inconvenience many readers. If you wish to post a picture, put it on your
web page and post a message with the url, or post a message saying you
have a picture and will e-mail it to people on request. If you are not
sure how to post text-only messages, check with your system administrator.

WHEN REPLYING: Please change the subject of your reply to something
pertinent to the message. Don't leave it as "Magical Armchair Digest,
V1 #xxx" unless your mail client won't allow you to change it.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    BFF Wallpaper....
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #561
    Flaming flamers
    brick on the air
    mystry1616 - No squirt guns I can remember Oct23rd.  That's all.
    RE: the difference in quality!?!?!
    Who's going to these shows?
    Bottle Rocket !!!!
    BFF in Austin
    Welcome back Beeftodd
    JJJ on Tuesday
    New favorite misheard lyric.....
    Re: who's got the brains?
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #565
    my home page
    sonny's questions.........
    woohoo
    BF5 in Who Magazine
    La Zona Rosa
    ben's brother reads this??
    bff is worth it!!

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 20:26:43 -0500
From: Carrie Shanafelt
Subject: BFF Wallpaper....

I'm a dork.  I just spent the past ... while ... pasting BFF pix together
and fuzzing the edges and stuff to make a little collage for my wallpaper
on my desktop.  If you'd like to have a copy of this wallpaper, email me
privately and I'll send it to you.  (At least if it does mass numbers of
people some good, I won't feel dumb for spending all that time on it...)
It's pretty cool-looking!!  Lemme know!
Pissing myself in anticipation of the Halloween that seemed it would never
arrive,
Carrie

****
Separation---w.s. merwin

Your absence has gone through me
Like thread through a needle.
Everything I do is stitched with its color.

****

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 20:33:55 -0500 (EST)
From: RgrManning@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #561

> And to whoever made the Underground MIDI...great job.  Got anymore
>  planned?

 Where can I find the Underground MIDI??

   ~L(auren)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 21:36:08 -0500
From: Matt Moberly
Subject: Flaming flamers

James Owsley wrote:
>that has noticed a difference in quality between the radio and cd
>versions of a Ben Folds Five song...'brick'
>         Now...i don't want to get insulting about this...but...come
>on.....have you nothing better to do?  does that really matter?
>           SHEESH
>         I just don't get some of the things that are posted on this!
> I mean about 75% of the posts are enjoyable but then there are these
>other 25% of the posts......they are just............dumb and
>meaningless!

It seems about 75% of flames on this list are response to something
extreme and offensive, and the other 25% are just assholes picking on a
curious listener. Why does it matter? Because details are why you're a
fan on a mailing list. There's a story behind the phone in Steven's, but
someone who doesn't give a shit about detail misses out on stuff like
that. This is just a guy (or girl) who picked up on something small and
wanted to know more. If this list were full of people who liked Ben
Folds because Darren hits the snare on one and three and you can tap
your simpleton foot to it, there wouldn't even BE a list. Step aside and
forgive the more enthusiastic, man.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 22:06:32 -0500
From: schander@juno.com (joe s schanderson)
Subject: brick on the air

The bokk wrote:

> I just don't get some of the things that are posted on this!
 >I mean about 75% of the posts are enjoyable but then there are these
>other 25% of the posts......they are just............dumb and
>meaningless!
                                         AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGHHH!

> ps...this isn't ONE of those dumb and meaningless posts
either....

Oh yeah?

Oddly enough I found it interesting, albeit odd that there seems to be a
difference in sound quality on the Brick radio release. Just my opinion.

joe

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 22:15:14 -0500 (EST)
From: Steve Clay
Subject: mystry1616 - No squirt guns I can remember Oct23rd.  That's all.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 23:19:50 -0500 (EST)
From: Steve Clay
Subject: RE: the difference in quality!?!?!

Hey here's more "dumb and meaningless" discussion about BF5 recordings
here on the Ben Folds Five Discussion mailing list...geez.  But
first, thank you (to whomever, I forgot his name) for helping us determine
exactly what is acceptable BF5 discussion and what is "dumb and
meaningless".
	I think the original poster mentioned being familiar with
compression used by radio stations.  For those who aren't - compression is
an effect that boasts low signals and cuts high ones to achieve a more
uniform signal level upon output.  Radio stations especially use this to
get the most output from their transmitter without fear of sending a
distorted signal.  It's most likely that this is the cause of the sound
quality difference, because "Brick" itself is not uniform in sound levels
cuasing the compressor to be pretty active.  But what might interest a
nerd like me is if the single sent out to radio was somehow remastered or
affected in some way to pre-compensate (I know there must be a better
word) for radio's use of compression.
	To move even further from appropriate BF5 discussion I'd like to
share with all of you the intense joy I've received listening the new
Apples in Stereo CD "Tone Soul Evolution", which should have many Beatles
fans (or pop fans in general) saying to themselves, "This was made just
for me," as I also did while listening to WAEA for the 1st time.

Steve

Ah, hell.  Why not...My 5 pop recommendations:
"Tone Soul Evolution" Apples in Stereo
"So We Go" Hang Ups (jangly gtrs, beautiful harmonies)
"Life" Cardigans (Ben's aware of the pop perfection..er, CONfection!)
"Wild, Cool and Swingin'" Ultra-Lounge comp5 ("That Old Black Magic"...)

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 00:20:04 -0500
From: sandishortcake@juno.com (Sandi Shorter)
Subject: Who's going to these shows?

Okay, just thought I'd ask who's going to the following shows:
Oct. 31 (HALLOWEEN) - Cleveland (Lakewood) -  will DEFINITELY be there
Nov. 1 - Ypsilanti, MI - will DEFINITELY be there
Nov. 8 - near Pittsburgh (forgot the name of the city) - questionable,
the whole tickets only for students thing
If you are and want to meet up or something dorky like that, e-mail me or
look for me.  There are pictures of me on my web page so feel free to
check it out and then look for me at the above mentioned shows, I'll be
the one RIGHT up front (always) freaking out, bouncing around, and
basically just being obnoxious.
http://kent.edu/~sshorter

- -Sandi

P.s.  Extra tid-bit of info:  No liquor served at Lakewood Civic
Auditorium, so if you're a drinker you may want to get sloshed before the
show...

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 05:15:32 -0700
From: Jeff
Subject: Bottle Rocket !!!!

Hey everyone. I'm new to the list and so far it kicks ass!! You all seem
cool as hell. I noticed a few of you are going to the Lawrence show, do
any of you know what the Grenada is like compared to Liberty Hall? I'm
just curious. And Elisabeth, Bottle Rocket is the COOLEST!!! What a
small world :)
			-Jeff

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 23:10:05 -0600 (CST)
From: lendakike@mail.utexas.edu (Lenny Barszap)
Subject: BFF in Austin

One of my friends told me that the tickets will go on sale Nov. 6 and
they'll be selling at Waterloo Records.

Lenny

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 23:31:11 -0600
From: times@bordercity.com (Lloydminster Times)
Subject: Welcome back Beeftodd

Hey, Beeftodd! It's great to hear from you, you've always been my favorite
armchairianite (whatever). If anyone writes and tells you to take your
posts elsewhere, DON'T LISTEN TO THEM!

Daniel
Lloydminster

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 21:42:11 -0700
From: "Julie Hurst"
Subject: JJJ on Tuesday

Did anyone hear Julie from ballarat talking about her net boyfriend that dumped her
and requested she don't use jelly??
Also who has pay t.v in Australia on Thursday night Ash was on for Julie 'sledge'
who wrote in a question for livid band?? Di d anyone see i saw Sam Clair and Natalie
who has the best music taste and requested BFF are they Armcharians??? they're form
Adelaide

http://www.mailexcite.com

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 23:44:38 -0500
From: m
Subject: New favorite misheard lyric.....

	Before, I loved "All Liz Phair..."  But a freind pointed out a new
misheard lyric in "Brick"

	"....She is bald up on the couch...."

Maybe I'll start a "the song's about cancer" rumor....Sorry for being
morbid.  It's late.

See you in Chicago.

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 01:10:10 -0500 (EST)
From: F2G2@aol.com
Subject: Re: who's got the brains?

i dig the new beck song off of the soundtrack to a life less
ordinary.....though i haven't heard the remainder of it.........
mak

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 01:28:11 -0500 (EST)
From: F2G2@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #565

so.................
only five more days til i see the boys again.  i keep trying to be blase and
cool-like about it, but every now and then i just get all excited like some
fourteen year old girl or something.
now if we could only convince them to tour with supergrass.

matthew

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 16:40:55 +1100
From: Ben Hodson
Subject: my home page

Hi everyone,
  this is just a quik letter to let you know that my page of misheard
lyrics is up, it's not real big now but if you can mail me with any that
would be much appreciated

the page is

please visit, even if you don't go to the bff page just to clock the
counter over and boost my self-esteem

thanx all

|BEN HODSON                              |
|"say good buy when you see me sign, now |
| I'm crucified" Racnid "Disorder and    |
| Disarray"                              |
|EMAIL-benh@powerup.com.au               |
|EMAIL-storm.boy@mailcity.com            |
|WWW-http://www.powerup.com.au/~benh     |

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 01:17:57 -0500 (EST)
From: F2G2@aol.com
Subject: sonny's questions.........

i recall that bf5 did indeed play "uncle walter" in cleve last year.......
and they did in pittsburgh too, about a month later on the same leg of the
tour.

matthew

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 02:30:10 -0500
From: livid@cowland.com
Subject: woohoo

       i see bff in a week..can't wait. :)

       uum, the real reason i write is because sombody posted a bff
cover poll kinda thing...and one song i would LOVE to hear ben folds
five cover is "she blinded me with science"  :)  ehehe i love that song.
i think they could funk it up.  shit yeah, its cool.

       oh yeah, theres something else too..dunno how interesting y'all
are gonna find this, but im in the orchestra for my old high school's play
(meaning i dont go there anymore, but im in their play..its kinda
complicated) :>  anyway, in one song there's a part where mr. champagne
(kickass band teacher who likes ben folds five) wanted mrs. benoit (lady
whos playin the piano in the play) to bang on the keys with her whole
arm :)  i was like "YES!" when he told her to do it and then she did and
im just sitting there saying, "oh wow, man, that is SO ben folds."
nobody else was paying attention to me...but i really dug it :)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 97 13:08:46 PST
From: "Scott Hookway"
Subject: BF5 in Who Magazine

It seems Who magazine did a short interview with the band when they toured
Oz.  They have a short intro about the band and the Geoff Harvey thing andd
then they asked 5 questions (usually 10 but 'reduced to 5 in honour of
BFF's eccentric approach to numeracy')  Now the funny bits.
1.How is it being compared to Billy Joel in the tour press release?
BF:  Our people did that?  Heads will roll!!

2.Which person most recently impressed you?
RS: I've never heard anyone say f--k as many times in a row as Geoff Harvey
did (off camera)

3.Which sentence in the english language would you hope never to hear again?
BF:Would you guys like to play our TV show?

4.What would you be if you weren't a musician?
BF:Maybe a barber.
RS:A microbiologist
DJ:I'd like to be mailin' stuff to people.

5.How do you see yourself in 20 years time?
BF:Probably runnin a glorified Holiday Inn-kinda lounge band for a TV show.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 02:05:52 -0600 (CST)
From: "Adam 'DeLicious' DeLisse"
Subject: La Zona Rosa

well, originally, i had asked frank maynard for some more information on
the austin show and la zona rosa, and he was kind enough to put up a link
to an info page on la zona rosa, but through no fault of his, the numbers
on that page are bogus.  i called both of them and neither of them worked.
then, i contacted some of my friends that go to UT in Austin at gleened
this from them.

"I called La Zona Rosa today and Ben Folds Five is coming on Saturday Nov.
22.  The doors open at 7:30 and the show starts at 9:00 with Travis.
Tickets are $15.  If you need more info the number is 512-472-9075."

I'm calling this number Monday afternoon to see about tickets.  i hope
this helps people who were looking for la zona rosa information.  also, if
anyone else is going to the austin show, let me know...i'm bringing a
group of friends from fayetteville, arkansas, so it would be nice to know
there are some friendly faces around.

talk to ya'll later (as the native texan says)

Adam DeLisse
					.
				       / \
				      / V \
				     /     \
				    / V V V \
				   /   V V   \
				  / V   V   V \
				 /             \
				/ V V V V V V V \
			       /   V V V V V V   \
			      / V   V V V V V   V \
			     /       V V V V       \
			    / V V V   V V V   V V V \
			   /   V V     V V     V V   \
			  / V   V   V   V   V   V   V \
			 /____________________________ \

   ...............and people say there is no beauty in math..............

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 01:06:50 PST
From: "ballet grrl"
Subject: ben's brother reads this??

ok, ok!! so what if it is sunday...oops. monday morning, and i am only
now reading friday's postings?? cut me some slack...i know you all
aren't just sitting home waiting for the armchair to hit yer mailbox.
anyways, i think that it is pretty cool that chuck reads this!! i really
hope i'm not sounding dumb because everyone else knew that. oh well. i
know there are a few of you who didn't that. i will be the spokesperson.
i wonder if this little tidbit of knowledge will cause me to feel odd as
i write about my crush on ben or what have you. hmmm. we'll see. so
far...nothing. :)
  also, i really, really doubt that brick is about tatoos.

       a rose is a rose,
         sara aka grrl

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 01:30:23 PST
From: "ballet grrl"
Subject: bff is worth it!!

hey matthew!! i hope you don't get fired...but, our boys are worth it.
come up to the northwest...i'll get you a job!! sure, the pay may be
crappy, and you get no benefits. but you get days off!! you have to make
sacrifices
  ok. i am hoping that this is not sounding like a personal attack...but
was anyone else confused by that english dude who was talking in some
weird homie sounding lingo? if anyone has a translation...

    thanks for listening,
        grrl