Issue #569 - October 29, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest  Wednesday, October 29 1997  Volume 01 : Number 569

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I
will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

MULTIPART MESSAGES
   Please do not post multipart messages. These are messages which
contain images, html or other non-text parts. They greatly expand the size
of the digests, which are already running fairly large these days, and may
inconvenience many readers. If you wish to post a picture, put it on your
web page and post a message with the url, or post a message saying you
have a picture and will e-mail it to people on request. If you are not
sure how to post text-only messages, check with your system administrator.

WHEN REPLYING: Please change the subject of your reply to something
pertinent to the message. Don't leave it as "Magical Armchair Digest,
V1 #xxx" unless your mail client won't allow you to change it.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Live at the Wireless
    I NEED MORE HELP!!!
    A wicked idea....
    Tape trade
    more "Brick"meanings
    pay tv and jjj on julie's armchair?
    misheard lyrics
    fear of something bad happening
    Pluvius+
    who puts the dope in Pluvius Dope?
    she blinded me with science
    hodge podge
    i seem to have a knack.......
    Fanny packs and Darren
    Single B-Sides / Japanese BFF

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 18:00:16 PST
From: "Cheryl ."
Subject: Live at the Wireless

Did anyone else catch the BFF on Live at the Wireless on Triple J last
night? They were having a Recovery special, so they played a lot of the
live versions from performing bands, ie Cake, Ben Folds Five, etc.
Triple J played One Angry Dwarf and Underground.

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 21:21:22 -0800
From: benfoldsfive.theyrule@juno.com (a person ON line)
Subject: I NEED MORE HELP!!!

well, i am a minor and i can NEVER get into any of their concerts, well
i am asking all the 18+ WHY ARE THEY 18+??????!!!! HELP ME!!!! well, i
will appreciate any help 		byes,
		g/\/\f
"The cruelest lies are often told without a word... the kindest truths
are often spoken but never heard- Ben Folds

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 21:56:27 -0500 (EST)
From: Eric Patton
Subject: A wicked idea....

	As I've stated multiple times (and had a joygasm for each one),
I'm going to the Ypsilanti show on SATURDAY!!! JOYGASM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Okay, that's done with. Anyway, what I was thinking is how everyone is
complaining about the Boys not playing "Evaporated." Well, I had a sick
and twisted though, big surprise to my friends. ;) What I want to do is
get a blown up picture of Baby Jingo (the world's smartest baby, and
columnist of Orbit magazine, the coolest alternative mag in all of the
world.) and basically writing the message, "Play Evaporated, Or the Kid
Gets It!" What would be really cool is if we had multiple copies of that
throughout the audience. I know the Boys would notice, and probably play
the song! If anyone else wants to join me in the madness, drop me a line.
Now, I have to go and find a picture of the infantile genius..... ;)

ERIC

P.S. To Sandi Shortcake, forgive me for being so blunt about this, but
you're really cute! ;)
	"But if that's a lie, if man in fact is not a scoundrel -in
general, that is, the whole human race- then the rest is all mere
prejudice, instilled fear, and there are no barriers, and that's just how
it should be!"
				-Raskolnikov, "Crime and Punishment"

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 19:12:39 -0800
From: Janet
Subject: Tape trade

Hey,

I posted before about trades, but I was also wondering if anyone had any
good Radiohead stuff.  I'd be willing to trade BFF or DMB for some good
Radiohead.

Take care.
Janet.
- --
Serenity Now!! --> http://members.tripod.com/~peachfish/sparkie.htm

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 22:29:55 EST
From: mystry1616@juno.com (C M)
Subject: more "Brick"meanings

so far, the only confirmed meaning I know to brick is that it's about
abortion... we asked Ben after the concert last week and he said that's
all it means, no underlying tones or deep hidden meanings other than that

And to Pluvius Dope, i would have to disagree with you on that one.  To
many, life begins at conception, but since this is a BFF list and not a
debate on abortion, I'll leave it at that.
Adios all!!!!!

Christy

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 14:46:46 +1100
From: Rainy City
Subject: pay tv and jjj on julie's armchair?

>Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 21:42:11 -0700
>From: "Julie Hurst"
>Subject: JJJ on Tuesday
>Did anyone hear Julie from ballarat talking about her net boyfriend that
dumped her
>and requested she don't use jelly??
>Also who has pay t.v in Australia on Thursday night Ash was on for Julie
'sledge'
>who wrote in a question for livid band?? Di d anyone see i saw Sam Clair
and Natalie
>who has the best music taste and requested BFF are they Armcharians???
they're form
>Adelaide

   Hi there Julie and all,

   I'm really interested in this post, but I only speak one language and
that is English!!!  What's the general drift of the post and stuff.  Sounds
interesting.

BYE!!!

Ad.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
&                    Ironside                     &
&      "...the 17th best band in the world"       &
& http://www.healey.com.au/HomePages/ad/ironside/ &
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 00:00:15 -0500
From: Rebecca.Cole@mail.cc.trincoll.edu (Rebecca Cole)
Subject: misheard lyrics

Probably the second time I listened to "Brick" it occured to me that you
could interpret the line "she is balled up on the couch" as "she is bald,
up on the couch." I thought this was pretty funny and still do, actually. I
took it down Cancer Street myself, but just for laughs.

Another fun altered lyric on that album, beyond "ah liz phair..." are "now
I'm big and imported" (appropriate for the night I saw them in London last
spring). I ALWAYS sing that. It's also fun to sing "so you wanted to take a
break, slow it down some, and have some CAKE." Ok, so I amuse myself way
too easily. Shut up.

And I say GOOD EARS to the guy who can tell the difference between the
radio edit and the CD version of "Brick." I have noted the same thing on
other songs by other groups (most recently "Soft Serve" by Soul Coughing).
Don't let anyone put you down for being aware of details...my life REVOLVES
around details.

Four legs good, two legs bad,
Rebby

***
"Lord, what fools these mortals be!"
                                -William Shakespeare, via Puck

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 22:59:37 -0600
From: "Clasen, Benjamin P"
Subject: fear of something bad happening

in his most rescent post, mr Pluvius Dope attacked Jonathan for
referring to a fetus as a baby.  this was uncalled for.  not because my
moral or political views were hurt by this (they were not), but because
this is not the appropriate platform for this discussion.

my plea:  please do not clutter my armchair with discussion on the
abortion debate (moral/political issues, etc.) and please do not flame
him publicly.  if you need to discuss this issue or call him a MORON for
bringing this up, please e-mail him personally at:

Policy@Mobsters.com

i have been a loyal member of the sacred armchair since about #37 or so,
and i would hate to send my unsubscribe as a result of this discussion
taking over it.

ben clasen

"And it's really not that you can't see the forest from the trees, you
just never been out in the woods alone"

ps- i am interviewing ben and the crew before the minneapolis show.  if
you cats have anything you want me to ask, please send it to me
privately.  bpclasen@csbsju.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 01:08:10 -0500 (EST)
From: JARAMINI@aol.com
Subject: Pluvius+

Pluvius, you're right, we all hoped we'd never hear from you again. Anyway,
the whole thing with the definition of abortion is more of a religious issue
than anything, and therefore not your place to educate us. Haven't we had
enough discussion on "Brick"? And more importantly, do we really need
Pluvius's 2 cents worth when he's already  three quarters short of a dollar?
Not to start another flame war (which Pluvius has a knack for instigating)
but, some things just bug the hell out of me.
I'm with the aussie, Pluvius Dope----> Wanker Extraordinairre
And to have some relevant info in my post, this is the true info on the woman
on the cover of the "Kate" single (taken without permission from
) "The cover of the UK
singles for "Kate" feature different poses of a young woman in a BFF t-shirt.
That is not actually Ben's wife Kate but rather a one-time secretary in the
UK office of Sony Music who was working on a temporary assignment from an
agency. They needed a model for the cover and she was in the right place at
the right time. Ben said he doesn't remember her name. "

John
jaramini@aol.com

"He who laughs last thinks slowest."

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 23:27:13 -0700
From: times@bordercity.com (Lloydminster Times)
Subject: who puts the dope in Pluvius Dope?

Pluvius Dope wrote:

>What offended me-
>

>His use of "Killing a baby" as the definition of baby. Well Jonathan, you
>obviously don't have a good knowledge of the english language, or of

"don't have a good knowledge," on the other hand, is excellent english.

>it would be a fetus. If you removed it from the woom at the moment of the
>abortion could it live? No.

Well, duh. That's what makes it an abortion (I'll give you the benefit of
the doubt and assume you meant "womb" not "woom." I wouldn't normally be
this picky but you were the one who first made a snide comment about
someone's grasp of the english language). If you take a year-old baby away
from its mother (or whoever is caring for the child), is it going to live?
No. I'm not going to get in a debate about when a fetus should be
considered a human. It's just that your bizarre logic leads me to propose
that people should quit smoking crack before they make a post to the
Armchair.

>NOT because even a 7-8 month old baby lacks object
>concreteness. So the idea of it having a memory or thought is almost
>preposterous.

What exactly are you trying to say here? That by your logic, it should be
okay to "abort" 7 or 8 month old babies or whatever age they attain before
they gain "object concreteness?" I'm not really agreeing or disagreeing
with you suggesting object concreteness is a necessary condition of life,
but I don't think you've really thought through what you're saying.

Considering how long we've been discussing the meaning of "Brick" I guess
I'm surprised that abortion itself didn't come up sooner as a topic for
debate. I would like to suggest that since we argued interminably about the
length of Ben's fingers that we should not even attempt to resolve such a
difficult and emotional topic such as abortion on the Armchair. It's an
inappropriate forum.

Daniel
Lloydminster

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 00:33:53 PST
From: "ballet grrl"
Subject: she blinded me with science

hey guys! i think that "she blinded me with science" is already pretty
darn funky. but i do think that they could do something kikass with it.
hey...i was just skimming...didn't look at the name, but there is a guy
who has this triangle thing and it says "they say there is no beauty in
math" of something along those lines. is that pasquale's triangle? i
will feel cool if it is. although, i do hate math.
  i think that the boys should do covers of:
    *anything by "that dog"
    *"mama don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys"
    *a ballad version of "i wanna rock and roll all night" (is that the
name? you know, the kiss song?!)

     till next time,
      sara aka grrl

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 00:48:19 PST
From: "ballet grrl"
Subject: hodge podge

 Surely not all of you can jump down
>my throat in this issue, this is a pretty liberal mailing list, it's
not
>the Amy Grant Lister
it's okay, pluv!!! i had actually missed you. and i loved that line. lol
lol lol!!! i like a little controversy. and i will bet that a lot of
people will kik yer butt for talking about abortion. don't you know yet
about the forbidden subjects? abortion, religion, politics. you
obviously aren't about to becaome mayor ;)

>(I go to Catholic school-my life is sucky enough)
>There, I vented, and my 18+in late 1999 self can go do my homework now.
pretty funny stuff on the armchair today!!! it's ok. i had an
oppurtunity to go the their show in san francisco, but now i can't go.
alas, will i ever meet them?? i did see them at horde, but was not able
to meet them, because i didn't know that i could!!
    oh well!!

     off to sleep,
       sara aka grrl

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 03:54:20, -0500
From: MZEH25B@prodigy.com (JAMES E OWSLEY)
Subject: i seem to have a knack.......

ok.....................

1.    I seem to notice that some people get a little touchy if you
step into the wrong area, and I can understand that you are perfectly
able to do so....but you also have to take into consideration WHAT
you are arguing against.   You (and by you I mean all those who wrote
mean and hurtful replys) back to the armchair about me.    hehe
   anyway.     My opinion will stay the same....I will still think
that whoever was sitting at home comparing the quality of the CD
version to the quality of the radio version of "brick" was doing
nothing but wasting their time.   AND.   I also think that, yes,
those odd little tidbits of information that seem meaningless, such
as, the telephone ringing in 'steven's last night in town' and the
crickets in the background during 'cigarette' (sorry if i spelled
cigarette wrong...i don't smoke)... anyway...i think those little
tidbits are interesting....and they can be enjoyable to go see if you
can ehar them too!!!  hehe    BUT.   the difference in quality is a
far cry from those.   OR AT LEAST I THINK SO!!

2.      Thanks for all the replys to my posts.....I loved seeing
myself quoted so many times!!!!!!!!!!

3.      So, how much longer is the band gonna be touring??   I would
hope that it isn't much longer.  I just want them to get back in the
studio...and make another record.  I might actually care about the
tour if they included my neck of the woods...
         BUT....I have seen them once....even if 'Big head Todd and
the ugly monsters' cut Ben Folds Five's stage time a little shorter...
...they were still very good.

4.   Here is a question for all of you memorabelia freaks!     HOW
MUCH $$$$$ WOULD SOMEONE BE WILLING TO PAY FOR A BASS GUITAR STRING
FROM ROBERT SLEDGE'S BASS???
      It's not really for sale....but I just was curious to how much
someone would pay.
      Actually...I don't think its ever gonna come out of my
girlfriends sight....  I think she secretly sleeps with it.....
             ...anyways....   FEEDBACK ON THAT.

5.  the end

                 -the bokk

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 01:35:44 PST
From: "Flying Nun"
Subject: Fanny packs and Darren

Hi all

Hey!  To the guy who's sending Petra that BFF signed stuff you got for
her - onya!

Thanks for the info on fanny packs - who does that deep "goddamm" bit?
I love that bit!

If anyone has pics of the band (especially Darren) that they wouldn't
mind letting me and Petra post on our up and coming Darren shrine (after
our respective exam periods, folks!), please please please email me and
we'll be your best friends, and give you big thank yous on the credits
bit, 'cos that's the kind of generous, wonderful, good samaritan people
you are!!

Que

everyone ignore Pluvius, he has no life and he can't even spell (not
that abortion isn't an important topic, but i hardly think this is the
time or place)

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 20:59:34 +1000
From: Steven Daniels
Subject: Single B-Sides / Japanese BFF

Hi all!

I was in one of the record stores in the city today, and found the One Angry
Dwarf single, the BOWCCL single, and the Japanese version of the first album.
Now to my questions... 1) Does anyone know whether the B-Sides of these
singles will be released on their B-Side album, and 2) do you think it's
worth buying the singles and 3) do you think the Japanese version is worth
buying?
Any replies will be appreciated.
Thanks,

Steven
|                Steven Daniels                    |
|           sdaniels@picknowl.com.au               |
|  http://www.picknowl.com.au/HomePages/sdaniels/  |
|          "No fate but what we make"              |