Issue #571 - October 29, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest  Wednesday, October 29 1997  Volume 01 : Number 571

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I
will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

MULTIPART MESSAGES
   Please do not post multipart messages. These are messages which
contain images, html or other non-text parts. They greatly expand the size
of the digests, which are already running fairly large these days, and may
inconvenience many readers. If you wish to post a picture, put it on your
web page and post a message with the url, or post a message saying you
have a picture and will e-mail it to people on request. If you are not
sure how to post text-only messages, check with your system administrator.

WHEN REPLYING: Please change the subject of your reply to something
pertinent to the message. Don't leave it as "Magical Armchair Digest,
V1 #xxx" unless your mail client won't allow you to change it.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Evaporated help
    Evaporated help
    No soundboard so...
    Evaporated help
    Get off people's backs
    Cigarette
    Steven's Last Night In Town
    Pluvius Dope
    Pluvius Dope and other stuff.

Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 23:25:16 +0100
From: paul.leung@virgin.net (paul.leung@virgin.net)
Subject: Evaporated help

Evaporated:
F Major: This song's already done by Skip, as in Allums. Just help for
the piano people.

The right hand plays the Middle C and the F a fourth above, and the bass
hand picks out F, A , Bb C. Oh, and the bridge is Bb and C, if anyone
needs it.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 18:30:29 -0500 (EST)
From: Smarshal1@aol.com
Subject: No soundboard so...

<< Also, if a sound board patch is impossible, what ways do you record
 stealth?  Coz I've done a couple of gigs straight onto analogue tape from a
 mic that was clipped onto my belt ring thing and the quality sux
 basically!!!  It's not muffled, but it's usually echoey and is generally
 crappy.  Is there some sort of special mic that I should buy or something
 for stealth recording?
    HELP!!!  PLEASE!!!  :) >>

Well.  It has been announced numerous times that BFF does not allow
soundboard access.  Most bands don't.  Also, it is quite a controversy right
now about wether they allow any type of taping.  So, the only way to go is
stealth.  Some really good mics for this can be found at
http://www.panix.com/~moskowit
There prices are cheap.  The most you will spend is about 300$ and you could
even get something for about 200$.  This is just mics though.  But, you can
use a pretty crappy tape unit if you have good mics.  So check 'em out.
 Thanx.
Josh

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 23:25:17 +0100
From: paul.leung@virgin.net (paul.leung@virgin.net)
Subject: Get off people's backs

If you don't like a post, ignore it. Rather than complain about the
umpteenth time Brick has been discussed, shut it. They're talking about
Ben Folds Five, you're not. So rather than listen to your crap, we'd
prefer to listen to other people's queries.
I'm a Brit, and having to listen to you guys discuss American tour
dates, and Australian shows(actually some reviews are quite good), can
be boring, and a waste of time, but that's what we're here to do. And
please, I think Pluvius "please don't hurt me" Dope has had enough
abuse.
Anthony

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 23:25:16 +0100
From: paul.leung@virgin.net (paul.leung@virgin.net)
Subject: Cigarette

Cigarette:

Bb major, maybe G minor, but I really can't tell.

Hmmm. Quaint song, not really for guitar. Best on piano.

Verse:
Bb      Bb (add e)      Cm7     Eb      Bb
Bb      F7      Cm      Eb

Arch keystone:Cm7(Eb6)          Eb7(Gm6)        Cm7(Eb6)        Eb7(Gm6)
                Eb (cm)         Cm7             Cm6

BACK to Verse.

I know it's difficult to figure out. I'll find some way of representing
the notes in text, and fill you in. Or I could write an essay. E-mail me
with any specific questions, comments, queries, etc.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 23:25:17 +0100
From: paul.leung@virgin.net (paul.leung@virgin.net)
Subject: Steven's Last Night In Town

STEVEN'S LAST NIGHT IN TOWN:

A major:

Hahaaaa! I've finally slayed the fucker. This one was killing me till I
found the Karoke button on my Laser Disc Player. Stumped for so long in
one of my favourite keys as well… Honestly.

Verse, intro, basis for solo, I think:

F#m7    Fdim6   F#m7    Fdim6
A6      A(trans.)       F#m7    E7(trans.)      F#m     (notes-C#DC#)E

NOTES:  C#DE                    BC#D    C#DE            F# E
CHORDS:Fdim6    F#m7    Fdim6   F#-7

Chorus:         D       A       E       A
        Bm      F#m7    E       A
        (or Fdim6)
        D       A       D       A       E       A(6)

        F#m7    Fdim6   F#m7    Fdim6   F#m-7   Fdim6   E

Other stuff.
 The solo goes on a bit, then you get the piano run:
B Bb B C# D C#D C# D E F# G# F#C#C#
BAA-BAA: F# E D E F#    F E D E F       F#(harmony down to C#)

End run: B Bb B DC#D    FEF     G# G G# B Bb B          DC#D    E A
Goin' up, obviously.
That's all for now, more to come.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 23:21:59 +0100
From: paul.leung@virgin.net (paul.leung@virgin.net)
Subject: Pluvius Dope

What I said about Dope getting enough abuse by now? I've changed my mind
( just read his last post). You can stuff him alive if you like, I'll
provide the chestnuts.
Anthony

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 23:35:03 +0100
From: paul.leung@virgin.net (paul.leung@virgin.net)
Subject: Pluvius Dope and other stuff.

Ok forget about whatever the hell I said about Dope getting enough
abuse-I've changed my mind (I just read his last post). Go ahead, stuff
him alive:I'll provide the chestnuts.

Anthony

P.S. You're not talkin' to me are you? Ballet grrl. I'm English but I
understand me fine and dandy.

P.P.s. Good concert review whoever-good touch with the black t-shirt!
Shame you missed the encore though.