Issue #572 - October 30, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest   Thursday, October 30 1997   Volume 01 : Number 572

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I
will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

MULTIPART MESSAGES
   Please do not post multipart messages. These are messages which
contain images, html or other non-text parts. They greatly expand the size
of the digests, which are already running fairly large these days, and may
inconvenience many readers. If you wish to post a picture, put it on your
web page and post a message with the url, or post a message saying you
have a picture and will e-mail it to people on request. If you are not
sure how to post text-only messages, check with your system administrator.

WHEN REPLYING: Please change the subject of your reply to something
pertinent to the message. Don't leave it as "Magical Armchair Digest,
V1 #xxx" unless your mail client won't allow you to change it.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Do you think?
    Nashville show
    west palm beach review
    japan version
    [none]
    Anthony is great
    wow..an update?
    ben folds interview
    Sonny's road show goes to Birmingham & Knoxville!
    fannypacks, g*ddamn
    paul.leung@virgin.net
    A Nice Wish...
    nice people
    Song for the Dumped
    Soundboard Recordings
    BFF interview in Consumable
    BF5 in Charlotte, 12/5
    Video
    Sheet music and songbook

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 20:22:38 -0500 (EST)
From: Gymnasia10@aol.com
Subject: Do you think?

I am just wondering if anyone thinks that Ben sounds somewhat like Joe
Jackson?

Ginger

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 20:41:07 -0500 (EST)
From: david
Subject: Nashville show

Hi y'all,
        The show in Nashville last night was excellent!  Great setlist
(including Uncle Walter and Vaseline).  Three song encore!!  If any kind
soul made a recording of the show and would be willing to spin it for me, it
would be greatly appreciated.  I've got a few BF5 tapes and lots of other
material.  DMB, Samples, WSP, AGR, Bela Fleck.   Thanks a lot.

                                                        Cordially,
                                                        David

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 21:32:15 -0800
From: "W. D. Buckley Jr."
Subject: west palm beach review

Hi all,
	Well, I saw them at west palm over five days ago, but i figured better
late than never to post a review.
	THEY ARE SO AWESOME. of course, everybody on here knows this already
:), but it was my first time seeing them live so i was totally blown
away. i could go on and on about the more abstract aspects of the
experience, so i'll just babble about the facts instead.
	the show was in a small converted theatre. as soon as they came on,
everyone got out of their seats and moved toward the front. my friend
and i were lucky to get a primo spot right up front. had an insanely
great view of robert, who looked drop-dead-gorgeous, in particular. real
close to darren and ben too, but unfortunately, could not see ben's
hands.
	well, ben came out looking really weary, but we were an extremely loud,
loyal crowd and i think managed to cheer him up. within the first 10
mins, robert's bass went out, so ben told us a story about how he used
to go to college in miami, failed his percussion final, and threw his
drum set in lake osceola. the he went on to work in a supermarket,
specifically isle 17, canned goods. (this info will undoubtedly stick in
my mind FOREVER....).
	what else, what else.....uh.....i was in such bliss during the
performance, i can't really remember any particulars. i know they played
just about everything from weae, and the best ones from the
debut......last polka, philosophy, jackson cannery and OF COURSE an
amazing rendition of underground. darren's "i was never cool in
school..." was so hilarious. ah....they also played dr. pyser as the
opener (i think? not sure) and song for the dumped for an encore.
	oh yeah....if you haven't begun scrolling by now, good news for
humanity: i have completely converted the friend i took with me.
completely. it's such a satisfying feeling.... ;)
	in closing, the concert was just an all around amazing experience. i
will now do anything in my power to get myself to other shows in the
future! yeehaw!
	as a random fan was screaming after the show: "god bless ben folds
five!"
kim

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 22:06:10, -0500
From: MZEH25B@prodigy.com (JAMES E OWSLEY)
Subject: japan version

hi,
  wana hear somethingfunny about different versions of records such
as the 'japanese version' of the Ben Folds Five disc?     I used to
think that those imported ones were sang in that specific language....
.of course....i know the errors of my way....but it still makes me
chuckle.

                               oh well

                -the  bokk

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 19:44:28 PST
From: "Addi Dassler"
Subject: [none]

auth cb8b5b1d subscribe armchair mobetoblame@hotmail.com

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 22:56:40 -0500
From: jaedonely@juno.com (A A DONELY)
Subject: Anthony is great

Read todays armchair, fabulous Anthony posted a helluva lotta BFF tabs-
hes so great!
It made me smile that he had at least 50% of the posts.
Thank you!  BFF music tabs are lovely!
I myself will attempt some when soccer season ends.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 00:45:14 -0500
From: "Michael Beam"
Subject: wow..an update?

hey guys...

i've finally found some time to get back into the groove of things...I've
got a lot of back issues to catch up with all the info but A Figment of
Reality, Allan Hsu and my website (http://www.underworld.net/bff/) is back
up and kickin'...we've relinked all the mp3s and news and tour dates with
more stuff on the way :)
also, a first bff mp3 bootleg is now up too (we still have to finish u/ling
the last few songs but that'll all be done this week)
sorry about the downtime we had and hope to be more active here :)
michael

- ---
Michael J. Beam
hardhead@underworld.net
administrator for the underworld networking systems
I feel better now you've gone
- -radiohead (lurgee)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Oct 97 01:09:45 -0500
From: Dan Goodspeed
Subject: ben folds interview

consumable just put a good interview with robert sledge online:

http://www.westnet.com/consumable/1997/10.28/intbff.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 01:02:21 -0500
From: Sonny Pieper
Subject: Sonny's road show goes to Birmingham & Knoxville!

Hello again all,

Well my BF5 road show continued over the past weekend with trips to
Birmingham, AL and Knoxville, TN!  (I don't intend to brag but for those of
you keeping score at home... That makes FOUR BF5 concerts over the last two
weeks!  And yes, I'm calling tomorrow about tix for the Nov. 11th show in
Carrboro, NC!)

Anyway, both shows were excellent but the last show in Knoxville was
superb!  The B-ham show was part of an all day music festival which
included Seven Mary Three & Sister Hazel.  BF5 was the third act from the
top on the main stage, and thus, only got to play a partial set that lasted
approx. 1 hour.  Highlight of this show was Ben requesting a corn dog from
the crowd.  It was pretty funny!  The best part for me was that I was able
to meet the band after the show at one of the tents behind the stage!  The
band was signing autographs for about 45 minutes or so.  I got one of the
current tour t-shirts autographed by all three, right on top of their
respective instruments. And since I was at the end of the line I got a few
minutes to chat with Ben & Robert.  (Darren didn't say much more than
hello.  He looked pretty tired from the show!)

To answer anyone's (or perhaps my own) questions:
1.  "Brick" is about an abortion (so says Ben).  End of story.
2.  "Sports & Wine" and "Uncle Walter" are both part of the usual concert
sets.  However, I did mention to Ben that this was the 3rd consecutive
concert that I had seen w/o hearing either song.  And I asked if he (or the
band) didn't like playing the song.  He promised to play "Sports" the next
night in Knoxville telling me "that I deserved it!"  Needless to say, I was
very pleased to hear that song the next night!
3.  Sarah (the young girl from Atlanta) is some fan that has been coming to
BF5 concerts for sometime.  no big deal..
4.  As you All probably already know:  Ben confirmed that the next album
(with b-sides and live songs) will be released in mid-January, 98'

It was a thrill talking with the guys!  I wish I would have had a little
more time with them.  I'm sure I could have thought of a few more
questions.  A pocket camera would have been nice for a pix.  Ben seemed
very likable and honest.  He seemed to enjoy talking with some of the folks
in the back of the line that were "knowledgeable" BF5 fans.  Robert was
more outgoing and eager.  Darren was pretty quiet...

The road trip then continued the next day, 4 hours north to Knoxville for
the best show of the lot, IMHO!  They "rearranged" the music set a little.
Opened with "Missing the War".  Different that Dr. Psyer of late.  They
also played "Best Imitation" with Robert on the big ole double bass while
Ben sang sans piano for the 1st half of the song.  The show was stopped for
a short time while they had to find the double bass.  (I guess they had
already stowed it away as the band had already played Brick.)  I finally
got to hear one of my favorites "Sports & Wine" but alas no "Uncle Walter."
(Bummer....)   Fantastic (long) drum solo in the middle of Sports from
Darren with Ben and Robert just watching him wail on the drums.  The encore
included "Song for the dumped" with Robert playing the bass guitar cord on
his bare hand again.  This "controlled feedback" is pretty amazing to hear
when you add Ben grating his mike against the piano cords.  (Those who
haven't seem BF5 live are missing out!!!!)  Anyway, I've rambled enough for
this message.  Sorry it was so long; both concerts were awesome!

Perhaps I can meet some fellow "Armchair listers" in Carrboro on the
11th???  Let me know if you plan to be in attendance

whatever and ever, AMEN...

Sonny

sonnyp@mindspring.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 05:12:16 -0500 (EST)
From: YoYoTanner@aol.com
Subject: fannypacks, g*ddamn

>Thanks for the info on fanny packs - who does that deep "goddamm" bit?
>I love that bit!

unless it's an overdub, i think it'd be robert.  i love it too.

yes, of course, it is wonderful.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 07:32:09 -0500 (EST)
From: Phishrman1@aol.com
Subject: paul.leung@virgin.net

hello....
do mind if I post you transcription of cigarette on my webpage.....I will
give credit where it is due...

~jared
http://members.aol.com/phishrman1/BenFolds5.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 09:29:23 -0500
From: "Lance E. Johnson"
Subject: A Nice Wish...

Hi, friends!

I am really, really into trading for some live BF5 stuff, but only have a
few shows.  What I do have to offer is lots of DMB including two I rarely
trade because of their rarity:

1. A 1990-before-Boyd mix recorded from a DAT.  Incredible.  I only trade
big for this.
2. The GEMS five-tape rareties compilation.  Tons of never-heards, old
favorites, and awesome covers.

If interested, please e-mail me privately.  I really want some more BF5 to
enjoy!

Lance

P.S. By the way, I am looking for a BF5 Chicago show where they cover
Prince's "Sexy M.F."

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 10:05:26 -0500
From: Carrie Shanafelt
Subject: nice people

Thanks to all the nice people who were all so utterly cool and nice about
asking me for sheet music and wallpaper.  Gosh darnit, folks here is good
people!  About the favorite album debate, I'd like to say that I think a
lot of people get hung up about this "sophomore slump" thing.  I've always
thought the second album is better by most bands!  Ex:  Radiohead (The
Bends kicks Pablo Honey's ass), Soundgarden (OK, Badmotorfinger was fine,
but Superunknown?  Wow.), Nirvana (sorry, I liked In Utero WAY better),
Pearl Jam (I'm gonna get hate mail for that one, I know), and Weezer
(Pinkerton makes me happy)  These are five major bands that I, personally,
think matured a lot before doing their second CD and got more musically
diverse while keeping their style.  With BFF, I can't choose between the
two.  I can't even choose between songs!!  It's all meaningful to me.  But
I think the sophomore slump thing is a myth.
Carrie

****
Are you still longing,
seeking what is beautiful,
what is decent and true?
Here in my hand, this flower,
my love, is shockingly red.
	-akiko

****
Separation---w.s. merwin

Your absence has gone through me
Like thread through a needle.
Everything I do is stitched with its color.

****

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 07:34:35 -0800
From: "Kamp, Marcus S"
Subject: Song for the Dumped

The album version of Song for the Dumped is clearly not the same one as
on the soundtrack for Mr. Wrong.  The 1st verse on the soundtrack is
missing the drums, the breaks are different, and the backing vox are
different.  Speaking of soundtracks, does anybody know if the b-side
single version of Bad Idea is the same as the one from Truth About Cats
+ Dogs?  If it's different, I'll rush right out + find the single.  If
not, I would actually recommend the soundtrack-it's not bad if you can
stand adult-ish stuff.  (Good date music, fellas!:-))

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 07:49:38 -0800
From: "Kamp, Marcus S"
Subject: Soundboard Recordings

FYI, you wouldn't want to record off of a soundboard even if you could.
There's a lot more to live sound than what is going into/coming out of
the board (the sound of the room, the deadening effect of the crowd, the
live sound of the instruments themselves (especially piano, drums, +
upright bass), etc.).  If you want to know what a show sounds like when
taped straight out of the board, watch any live act on MTV.  It sounds
like the monitor mix which, btw, sounds an awful lot like crap.  There's
way too much low-mid, which means there's virtually no definition
whatsoever.  Your best bet, therefore, is to get a good portable
recorder (preferably a DAT if you have the $) + some decent condenser
mics, pick a good spot to stand (preferably by the sound board since
that's where the sound man's ears are), and hit record.  (For actual
live albums, bands use a mixture of the board + room mics so that they
can capture both the room + us, the loyal fans.)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 11:19:03 -0500 (EST)
From: Frank Maynard
Subject: BFF interview in Consumable

The current issue (October 29) of Consumable Online, the oldest
continuously-run music review publication on the Internet, carries as the
lead article an excellent interview by Lang Whitaker of the band.
Featured are their impressions of experiences on the Australia tour.

If you are not a subscriber, you can access the interview at:
     http://www.westnet.com/consumable/1997/10.28/intbff.html
It is also indexed on the "Interviews and Reviews" page at
http://oeonline.com/bff/ along with the other features that Consumable
has done.

 -fjm
                        Sucks me in when you're aloof

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 12:49:41 -0500 (EST)
From: Ginger Nance
Subject: BF5 in Charlotte, 12/5

Okay folks, here's the scoop on the boys in Charlotte on Dec. 5:

"A Not So Acoustic Christmas"
w/Ben Folds Five and guests
Sponsored by 106.5 The End
December 5, 1997
Dana Auditorium, Queens College, Charlotte, NC
Tickets are through Ticketmaster, NOT AVAILABLE ONLINE (charge by phone)
Go on sale Saturday, Nov. 1 and are $10.65

There's the info for anyone who plans on going!

Ginger :)

**************************    Ooooo     We'll miss you Dean!
Ginger Nance                  (   )     Thanks for 36 great years.
gnance@email.unc.edu           ) (
http://www.unc.edu/~gnance     (o)      GO HEELS!
**************************

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 20:24:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: Blades6345@aol.com
Subject: Video

Hey all!

Don't you think Video is a great song and often overlooked?? If you haven't
listened to it in a while, i strongly recommend listening to it now!
Also, i want to thank Chuck Folds again for coming through on the Bus Stop
and Snuzz CDs. Thank you so much!
Actually, the main purpose behind this post was to say hi to my friend Andy
out there in Utah.  Yea, you know who you are.....(5, 64, etc.)  Just trying
to brighten your day!  Can't wait till you come back!

Love you all!
Emily

Can't you see the daises in my footsteps?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 17:57:59 -0500
From: Kesler
Subject: Sheet music and songbook

Hey there everyone. Well, I guess my first post to the list is a grovel. I
am looking for the piano/vocal songbook. They have it on their web site as
TEMPORARILY out of stock. So I called the 888 number to see when it might
be back and they said it was PERMANTLY out of stock. Needless to say I was
very pissed. Anyway, I REALLY want these songs. If you have the songbook,
please contact me. I will trade, pay, or whatever for copies. We can work
something out. PLEASE HELP!!! Also, and further information would be
appreciated. Hope to see some of you at Cleveland.

Later all,
Jason

Jason Kesler
Jaykes@ix.netcom.com
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/3432

"...and I've seen that there is evil, and I know that there is good, but
the in betweens I never understood...."             -Ben Folds Five