Issue #574 - October 31, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest    Friday, October 31 1997    Volume 01 : Number 574

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I
will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

MULTIPART MESSAGES
   Please do not post multipart messages. These are messages which
contain images, html or other non-text parts. They greatly expand the size
of the digests, which are already running fairly large these days, and may
inconvenience many readers. If you wish to post a picture, put it on your
web page and post a message with the url, or post a message saying you
have a picture and will e-mail it to people on request. If you are not
sure how to post text-only messages, check with your system administrator.

WHEN REPLYING: Please change the subject of your reply to something
pertinent to the message. Don't leave it as "Magical Armchair Digest,
V1 #xxx" unless your mail client won't allow you to change it.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    CD in Jan
    leave pluvious alone!!
    westminster show
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #573
    it was the coolest thing
    Anticipation......
    BFF = R.E.M.
    My FIRST post!!! (Please read!!!)
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #570
    recording gigs
    misheard lyrics once again...
    it's not easy being green.
    Barry Black info/a response to junior winos
    Sophmore slump.
    I'll be stone faced and pale...
    Mitchell Lane

Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 17:06:31 PST
From: "Aaron Bell"
Subject: CD in Jan

I posted this info last month but since I've seen questions posted, I'll
share it with you all again.
There will be a CD released early next year but the band doesn't know if
it will be released in Jan.
The album will have mostly live tracks with a few rarities being
considered for the mix.
The band is trying to decide wether to put songs like Dr. Peyser and
Eddie Walker on the album, because they are still debating on wether or
not to put them on the next studio release.

All of my info came from my interview with Darren last month, so there
might be more news out there.

Aaron Bell

Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 17:30:28 PST
From: "ballet grrl"
Subject: leave pluvious alone!!

hey all,
  how come there was this big thing about not attacking people
personally on here, but everyone and their goldfish feels that it is
perfectly acceptable to attack pluvious? that seems really hypocritical
to me. i realize that most of you don't like him, but why can't you just
ignore him? i have a feeling that he is sitting home laughing at you
(those who got upset, that is) for how silly you are being. let the guy
voice his opinion. if you really want to live in a society where
opinions are only valuable if they agree with the majority, i think that
cuba is letting people in!

     thanks for listening  :)

         grrl

Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 18:57:55 PST
From: "onion sprout"
Subject: westminster show

hi.  i'm really sorry if this question is trite and all, but i need to
know about the westminster show on Nov. 8th.  i have had no time to read
all of the armchairs so i have no idea if anyone or no one has said
anything about it.  is it really only for westminster students?  please,
if you know, please quickly e-mail me and let me know.  thanks, i
appreciate it.

kim

Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 23:17:50 -0500
From: Peter Stinkweed
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #573

I think it would be cool if Frank's system could send out a "basics
for joining the Armchair" letter to new subscribers when they join. Just
a short note that says:
  The phone ringing at the end of Stephen's was an accident... one of
Ben's friends just calling to see what's up. Because it fit in so well
with the song and gave it more of an amateur, unfinished sound, they
left it in. You can also hear Robert laugh when it happens.
  Ben has been quoted as saying Brick is about abortion. Period.
Not that we get flooded with the same questions over and over... but I
remember the good old days of a few weeks ago when I got ONE Armchair a
night. Gluttony leads to taking things for granted.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 00:30:40 -0500
From: livid@cowland.com
Subject: it was the coolest thing

       how much airplay is brick actually getting?....i haven't heard it
on the radio/seen it on tv yet or anything, buttt......i thought this
was the coolest thing today, i dunno if anybody else is gonna agree with
me cuz of where it took place tho...

       so i work at mcdonald's, and tonight i was cleaning the friggin
lobby and putting up chairs when i heard a very, very familiar sounding
song on the muzak.  and i thought, "damn, this sounds AWFULLY familiar"
and i kept listening and listening and i was like "holy shit....  its
brick."  so i ran back into the store to tell the manager, i was like
"IM GOIGN TO SEE THESE GUYS ON SUNDAY!!!"  it was so cool cuz i usually
have to put up with crappy madonna or whatever, but this was excellent.
some people might not like the idea of ben folds five being played at
your local mcdonald's, but the bff fans that work there sure as hell
enjoy it :P

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 03:00:43, -0500
From: MZEH25B@prodigy.com (JAMES E OWSLEY)
Subject: Anticipation......

greetings,
                 I just am having trouble waiting....I recently
ordered the 'Where's Summer B' single from CDnow Music..and I have
come racing home everyday now expecting to find it here....but no.
I just have to wait more.
                 The actual reason I am sending in this post is
because I wanted to know if anyone had the lyrics to the songs on
this particular single....which is if you missed it above (Where's
Summer B).  I am particularly excited about hearing the song
"Emeline".       I have heard so many good things about this song
from extremely nice peeps who took a special chuck of their time to
write me and tell me songs that appear on certain singles.   I thank
you.    Anyway I went with the 'where's Summer B' single.    If ya
didn't already know.   Geez....when I get that in the mail.......I
won't stop listening to it for at least 3 hours....it's kinda like
when I recieved the 'Say it Ain't So' single by Weezer....which
happens to be my favorite band...sorry everyone but the are....BUT
BFF IS A VERY CLOSE SECOND!!!
             So in conclusion....I would be very appreciative to
anyone who has the lyrics to the songs (mainly emeline) on the single.
     By the way.....what other songs are on that single???
           Better yet...maybe I should let it be a surprise!!!    Nah.
.... tell me if ya know!

                     thanks to all who know and tell...

                     -the bokk

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 01:29:42 PST
From: "Courtney Knopf"
Subject: BFF = R.E.M.

Hey Kids,
So I was listening to WAEA as I went to sleep the other night (as i do
so often) and was struck by how much Smoke and Evaporated remind me of
the R.E.M. song Nightswimming. which is probably my favorite R.E.M. song
of all time. i suppose it's the similarities in the beautiful slow piano
and string arrangements that reminded me of it. what do you guys think?

~Courtney

The Sultraness of Swing

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 02:17:31 PST
From: "Kel Lane"
Subject: My FIRST post!!! (Please read!!!)

Hi.  As you can probably tell from the subject above, this is my first
ever post to this amazing armchair thing.  I have been a subscriber for
a few weeks - maybe even a month and a bit, but time flies when u have a
lot of work to do. . .
Anyway, here is my 5 cents worth (we don't have 2 cents here Down Under.
. . )
Umm, I was skimming the post a few days ago, could have been yesterday,
anyway, and someone asked if the version of Song For The Dumped was the
same on both Whatever and Ever Amen, and on that movie soundtrack from
Mr Wrong.  Nope.  It isn't.  It is not as good (in my opinion - don't
flame me please - I am afraid of getting burnt) on the soundtrack as on
WAEA - it seems more, what can I say, light, transparent, ummm, plain?
Well, not as 'full'.  I can't explain it.
Anyway, I think that my post has been pretty boring so far, but I'd like
to take this opportunity to say 'thanx' to Carrie for the Wallpaper.  It
looks pretty ace on my laptop, and everyone at school wants a copy of
it.  Thanx again
And also, 'HI' to Chuck, if you are reading this - you are ace.
anyway,please feel free to write me and tell me of your wonderful
experiences meeting aby of the BFF team (especially Darren!!!), if any.
Thanx for reading this
Kel

"You're my hero, I confess"
- - BFF
"I see that there is evil
And I know that there is good
And the in-betweens I never understood"
- - BFF
"You are the star tonight
you shine electric
outta sight
electrolite"
- - REM

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 05:43:04 -0500 (EST)
From: BEEFTODD@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #570

In a message dated 29/10/97 09:41:18 GMT, you write:

<< www.iol.ie/~may >>
Reet err, why BeefTodd not on your homepage mon?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 22:56:29 +1100
From: Rainy City
Subject: recording gigs

Firstly, thanks to all the people that have helped with the taping tips.
It's all this info that helps me decide how I'm going to go about taping
some shows!!!

>your best bet for recording is to NOT stand in the middle of the floor,
>DON'T get too close, and tell everyone around you to try NOT to talk.

   Well at lots of gigs, you can only stand on the floor...

>I did
>a tape of Dream Theater last night and it turned out great. We went up to
>the balcony, the front of the balcony, and in the corner.

   That would be perfect, but sometimes it isn;t possible!!!

>Most places try to search you when you come in, so try to either tape your
>recorder to your leg or stick it in your sock or underwear. Or you can
>bring a girl along and have her put it in her purse.

   Yeah, good idea.  I hate to get the shit confiscated...

>You need to get yourself a pretty good recorder, one that takes normal
>sized tapes and has level settings. you can get one that's the size of a
>walkman for about $100 or less.

   Yeah, I have a $300 walkman and that is cool...  and I just bought a
minidisc player and wanna use that too.

>i think you have to do a lot of tapes before you get that "perfect" one,
>but now is the best time to start!

   YES!!!  I'm soooo eager!!!

>you can't be on the floor to tape.

   Geez...  that disappoints me lots.

THANKS HEAPS!!!

Ad.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
&                    Ironside                     &
&      "...the 17th best band in the world"       &
& http://www.healey.com.au/HomePages/ad/ironside/ &
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 09:39:51 -0500 (EST)
From: Kristine Knoke
Subject: misheard lyrics once again...

When I got the first album many many moons ago, I would just listen to the
songs without knowing what their names were.  When I got to know the
songs, I was eventually curious to find out their names....  I was
extremely suprised to find out that the song Alice Childress was not what
I thought it was... I used to sing...

Try not to think about it, have his children...

when you use that lyric in the song, it gets a little weird.  anyway, i'm
more excited than excited can be for the concert this Saturday in Ypsi,
too bad i'm first balcony or some silliness like that.  oh well, at least
i'll be able to see them again... SNARF!

knoke

- --"Well I'm accustomed to a smoother ride,
    Maybe I'm a dog that's lost its bite,
     I don't expect to be treated like a fool no more,
      I don't expect to sleep through the night."

		--paul simon

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 10:07:54 -0500 (EST)
From: F2G2@aol.com
Subject: it's not easy being green.

i personally would love to hear bf5 covers of:
"it's not easy being green," the kermit/muppets classic.
anything by bob seger, like they joked about in the pittsburgh show last
summer.
video killed the radio star, which i know they have, but HAVENT HEARD.
kudos to balletgrrl for suggesting "she blinded me with science."  my
all-time favorite campy song.  "SCIENCE!!!"
and maybe they could even do something along the lines of thelonious monk
covers.  ben could handle it......(bill holman did an album this year with
remakes of old t. monk songs.  for any of you who would appreciate it, BUY
IT!!!!)

matthew

ps.  2 more goddamn days.  anyone going to the cleveland halloween show,
email me.  i'm trying to get all us armchair kids to meet, for real, in
person.
none of you care what's in my cd player, do you?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 10:53:31 -0500
From: vanvalnc@is2.nyu.edu (Chris Van Valen)
Subject: Barry Black info/a response to junior winos

Hi kiddies

For informative purposes, there is a new Barry Black album entitled,
"Tragic Animal Stories". Ben is not on this album. Although if you liked
the first one, you may or may not like this one; it's even more
jazz-oriented than the first. It's not for those of you who say,"She Don't
Use Jelly is the only good song on Lounge-A-Palooza; the rest of it sucks!"
        For those of you who don't know about the first album, Ben plays
either drums or piano on most of the tracks and he has a drum duet with
Darren on one track. Summer Burke(as in "Where's...")is credited as a
vocalist on one track, although it's barely a whisper.

        Not to be too preachy, but I'd like to comment on that underage
poster a while back who suggested that if you're not of legal age you
should get plowed before going to the show. Not only is this an
irresponsible comment, but it's also highly selfish. As someone who's been
there and done that, you probably won't enjoy the show very much and you'll
definitely ruin the experience of those who aren't there to see you
perform, act out, and sing off key. We paid to see and hear BFF--not you. I
hope you're not going to the NYC show, at least. The Supper Club is a NICE
place, not a frat house.

But enough from me...
Please take this in the spirit in which it is intentioned.

Cheers,
CV

If you have an unpleasant nature and dislike people
this is no obstacle to work. -- J.G. Bennett

Catch "Forever Knight" on the Sci-Fi Channel every
Mon-Thurs at 9PM and 1AM EDT. -- Lucien LaCroix

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 13:51:54 -0500 (EST)
From: marc s kaplan
Subject: Sophmore slump.

You said:
Ex:  Radiohead (The
Bends kicks Pablo Honey's ass), Soundgarden (OK, Badmotorfinger was fine,
but Superunknown?  Wow.), Nirvana (sorry, I liked In Utero WAY better),
Pearl Jam (I'm gonna get hate mail for that one, I know), and Weezer
(Pinkerton makes me happy)

You really like the bends better than pablo honey??  W/ soundgarden you
have a point.  Nirvana's In Utero was like ther foruth album, not their
second.  With weezer (although I love pinkerton too) the blue album, was
much more popular.

With ben folds five, it seems like both albums have similar sound.  And
although there are diffrences between the two albums, they both seem to
have somewhat the same themes.

I dont know it seems like all the bands you mentioned went through a
drastic stylistic change (with mabye the exception of radiohead), while
BFF seems to remained (for the most part) the same.

Both albums are truly great, I see no sophmore slump w/ bff.

"

			-/\/\arc

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 13:57:03 -0500 (EST)
From: marc s kaplan
Subject: I'll be stone faced and pale...

Emily wrote:
>Don't you think Video is a great song and often overlooked?? If you
>haven't listened to it in a while, i strongly recommend listening to it
>now!

I can not agree more.  Video, is truly a great song, and the lyrics are
profound.  At first I did not like it too much, but its just one of those
songs (and I'm sure you have had simalar experinces) that just grows on
you, the more you listen to it.

I think it is one of the best songs on that album, although its hard to
rate, when I love almost every song on that album.

"

			-/\/\arc

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 13:17:52 +0000
From: Melissa Larson
Subject: Mitchell Lane

Hey all!

Does anybody have/know the lyrics to Mitchell Lane??  I looked on Frank's
homepage and couldn't find them anywhere.  Can anyone help??

Thanks!

- -Mis

"The cruelest lies are often told
                           without a word...
        ...The kindest truths are often spoke
                                   but never heard."
                                                   -Ben Folds

<<<<<<1215 30th St.  Mail #66  G-K Hall  Des Moines, IA  50311<<<<<<