Issue #578 - November 2, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest    Sunday, November 2 1997    Volume 01 : Number 578

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I
will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

MULTIPART MESSAGES
   Please do not post multipart messages. These are messages which
contain images, html or other non-text parts. They greatly expand the size
of the digests, which are already running fairly large these days, and may
inconvenience many readers. If you wish to post a picture, put it on your
web page and post a message with the url, or post a message saying you
have a picture and will e-mail it to people on request. If you are not
sure how to post text-only messages, check with your system administrator.

WHEN REPLYING: Please change the subject of your reply to something
pertinent to the message. Don't leave it as "Magical Armchair Digest,
V1 #xxx" unless your mail client won't allow you to change it.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Song Book
    got nowhere but home to go, got Ben Folds on my radio right now...
    re: bff on sessions
    re: bff on sessions
    Jacksonville, FL 10/21/97
    stereo types
    lounge-a-palooza
    pots and pans
    Cleveland show and Roommate Joy
    Carrie made me do it and I'm glad I did!!!
    To Jessica: A sMALL mATTER
    Halloween!!!
    R.E.M = BFF

Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 20:25:11 EST
From: HoBells
Subject: Song Book

I am just dying to get my hands on that song book (or copies of) as well!
And now I find out that that "temporarily" has mutated into "permanently".
I am très pissed.  Can anyone who can hook me up please write back?

Donkeychains,
    Lyndie

"No profit grows where is no pleasure taken." --WS

Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 20:31:08 EST
From: ButterfIy9
Subject: got nowhere but home to go, got Ben Folds on my radio right now...

october 29
8:21 pm

okay, so i've been lurking.  but here i am.  :o)  hi.  it's me.  brandi.
})i({

um, hmmm.  where to start.  first of all, ben folds is indeed a lyric in the
Counting Crows song "Monkey."  damn, i love those crows.  they're incredible.
they're first in my books, but BFF is right on their tails.  i'd give anything
for ben to teach me how philosophy really goes...i've learned some of it by
ear which sounds pretty good...but still, ya know...it's not the same.

oh yeah...i'm planning to play and sing "Evaporated" at a coffeehouse at my
school.  :o)  i'm hoping someone listens.  it's too true for me...

also...anybody going to the Electric Factory show in Phila. ?  i'm
going...(well hopefully...my ride just backed out on me, but i think i can
conjure up another one.)  and i'd love to meet somebody from here...let me
know.

okay, so, i've been watching everyone's CD collection...and i must say, your 5
disc changers are loaded with some pretty awesome stuff.  i don't have a 5
disc changer, but my mom does.  and here's what i put in it...

1.  BFF-Self titled
2.  BFF-WAEA
3.  Counting Crows-AAEA
4.  Counting Crows-RTS
5.  Fleetwood Mac-The Dance

and if i had more room,

6.  Radiohead-OK Computer
7.  Jewel-Pieces of You
8.  Fiona Apple-Tidal

so, yeah...that's mine.  chillinnnnnnnnn.  :o)

anyways, i should go.

love and C Major chords...
brandi.   (the butterfIy with an i, not an L.)

"i poured my heart out...it evaporated...see?"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 20:34:26 -0500 (EST)
From: AMYSA@aol.com
Subject: re: bff on sessions

<<< Sadly, we'll have to
suffer through  a half hour of the over-hyped Beck before we get to
the good stuff, but I guess that is the price that must be paid.  You
would be wise to check your local TV listings to ensure that the show
you will be seeing is in fact the show featuring BFF and Beck (ugh!). >>>

i really don't think that was necessary.  some of us don't consider a beck
performance to be something one must suffer though. i've liked beck for six
years and i think he's worked very hard to reach the level of success that he
is at.

amy

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 20:46:23 -0500
From: jambands@juno.com
Subject: Jacksonville, FL 10/21/97

Hey you guys!    I'm new to this list, but I've been on DMB's Nancies for
about a year.  I was just wondering if anyone taped the BFF show on
10/21/97 at Club 5 in Jacksonville, FL.  If you did, or have a copy of
the show, I'll be eternally grateful to trade for it.  Please contact me
if you have it or any other BFF material you want to trade for DMB, Phish
or Dead stuff.

Thanks,
Brian Smith

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 23:17:07 -0500 (EST)
From: Yardbirdzz@aol.com
Subject: stereo types

saw ben folds five last night.  yup, at the vic.  imust say it was
so....wonderful.....i started to cry when smoke came on.......i just got all
choked up cause there were my loves, 10 feet away from me......i couldnt
beleive i was actually there

yes, im 16, but please, dan, and all others, do not stereo type us teenagers.
 i agree with you completely that alot of the people were there cause "it was
cool"  they are now on the infomous "Q101" (the alternative station in
chicago) and so all the little poser people were there---but please, realize,
that there are some ypung fans out here that adore BFF, and have for years,
and its completely hypocritical to blame the extra noise on all the
"kids"--actually, it sort of pisses me off, dan, but i agree with you about
the point that you wished it hadnt become sorta popular, because its a downer
for me--i dont want bff to be just some band people listen to to be cool, bff
is sacred to me--but please dont dump on us teenagers.

nastassja

"you sexy mother fucker"--that was me and my friends

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 04:29:21 -0500
From: Cassandra Hughes
Subject: lounge-a-palooza

Hi all... I'm going to have to disagree with whoever posted that they
thought the lounge-a-palooza cd was not so great. Granted, I wasn't so
sure the first time I played tracks other than #3 but the whole thing
has grown on me...  admittidly though, not on my
roommate...(un?)fortunately... So, in conclusion...for those of you
stuck in computer labs, like myself...
while (lounge-a-palooza == current_cd || BFF == current_cd)
     roommate = away_from_room;
if (roommate == away_from_room)
    good = you.room_to_self(no_crappy_music);
Sorry, been working on this program waaaaaaaaaayyyyy too long...
Jealous of those of you from Cornell (BFF and SNZ in Nov!?!?!),
cassie

ps--check out psu's concert committee homepage

http://www.clubs.psu.edu/UCC/

and request Ben Folds Five!!

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 01:36:33 -0500 (EST)
From: Tony Flaminio
Subject: pots and pans

    I just got the pots and pans, shut up and listen to majosha album from
some guy on the internet (along with VERY high quality recordings of bf5
demos like eddie walker, protection, rocky...ect.).  Can anyone send me
some info about this recording? Is this band called pots and pans? I think
i hear ben singing on only a few tracks, who is the other singer? What is
the lineup for this band? Any info would be much appreciated.

								-tony

ps. i'm still looking for "pink on white walls" and a high quality version
of "guilty" (the bf5 version).

/************************************************************************/
/*           check me.  http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~flaminio           */
/*                    (((((((((in stereo)))))))))                       */
/*         floating upon the surf is for the birds. --radiohead         */
/************************************************************************/

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 01 Nov 1997 01:39:31 -0500
From: Carrie Shanafelt
Subject: Cleveland show and Roommate Joy

Alright -- just got back from a truly AWESOME BFF show (Is there another
kind?) and things are super.  Ben came as Death, Robert was Robocop-ish,
and Darren starting everything off with the most convincing Ted Nugent
impression I have ever seen "I'm proud to be an American!!"  The show
itself was more distorted and loud than the other two I went to (which were
both in KC) and I'd have to say the crowd in Cleveland isn't half as
attentive or responsive as back home... No one pogoed on "Fair"!  That's
the whole point of that song live!  Oh well.  The boys completely ruled and
did a lot of really cool stuff -- I'm sure someone else will post a
setlist.  At the end, during the encore (the best Julianne ever), this kid
jumped up from the audience and started tentatively playing alongside Ben,
who put his arm around him and showed him some stuff instants before the
ass-man came out and dragged the happiest person I've ever seen backstage
for a stern talking-to, I'm sure.  My roommate, Joy, who some of you have
been writing to inform her of why I'm madly in love with this band, went.
She's a piano and cello performance major, and, as a musician, her jaw was
dropped the whole time.  I'll let her tell you about it, though, 'cause
she's joining the Armchair :) and wants to post about her first BFF show
[hey joy!]  I mean, you can play it and play it and play it for someone,
but it either takes two years of listening to make you that obsessed (as in
my case, since I had to wait till this spring to go to a show), or one of
their shows.  The opening acts, Verbow and Kim Fox, were ok... Verbow
didn't do much for me.  It was all a lot of "We have a cello, but we're
still *very* generic alternapop."  Kim Fox is obviously rather talented,
but by that time, I was getting a little too anxious.  And if you were the
girl in the black velvet (a la Jamiroquai) hat on the left side, about two
or three rows back, I would just like to apologize -- it must suck trying
to make out with your boyfriend and get annoyed by some irritating concert
going on behind you.  That must really suck.  But to end on a positive note
- -- Joy does understand now why it's ok to be mad about BFF.  (and she
thinks Robert's beautiful... of course, I would make sweet love to Darren
any day of the week! --sorry weaselface--)  --Carrie

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 01 Nov 1997 02:12:17 -0500
From: Joy Fenton
Subject: Carrie made me do it and I'm glad I did!!!

    Okay, maybe some of you remember hearing about me. As a matter of
fact, I got nice letters from a few of you. My roommate, Carrie, posted
about my skepticism toward the Armchair. Well, I went to the Halloween
show and I LOVED it!!! Something about hearing BFF on a CD or mp3 just
doesn't compare to seeing Ben's hands fly across the keyboard, Darren's
drumsticks fly through the air, or Robert fly across the stage!! I'm a
piano/cello performance major and my jaw was on the floor.
    So my skepticism is gone...and here I am!! I am an official
"convert" to the Armchair. Now that I'm here, I have two thoughts about
the concert. I'd love to hear what you all have to say. First, I found
myself repeatedly wondering if the people in the audience knew what they
were hearing. I mean, it's great music.....but it's also musical
genius.....the product of mental brilliance, physical stamina, musical
passion, and a lot of hard work. That concert (I'm referring
specifically to the piano, as that's my area of semi-expertise) was
pretty much the most creative intelligence I have ever witnessed, on top
of being flawlessly performed.
    Second, I wondered if the band knows how lucky they are....what I,
for one, wouldn't pay to be in their shoes. To have such a phenomenal
bunch of talent and to have the opportunity to share it is about the
awesomest thing I can imagine. I, for one, came away rather inspired.
    Okay, that's about all the deep thought I can muster for tonight.
    But one more little thing. To that one girl and her boyfriend in the
orange shirt: I'm really sorry that you couldn't control your hormones;
you missed a FANTASTIC concert. Next time you pay for a ticket, try
watching the show, or use the money to get a hotel room!!
    'Twas a great concert! Happy (slightly late) Halloween all!!!

Joy

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 23:02:41 -0800
From: brad crum
Subject: To Jessica: A sMALL mATTER

I've been hiding under my bed ever since our fair friend, Jessica
snubbed me for using *all caps* in my first posting.  But after hours of
therapy, I'm finally ready to climb back in front of my PC to answer:

- --Sorry, it was my first posting. i was a helmet head. "i'm a loser,
baby, so why don't you kill me?"

- --Alice Childress--needs more study. The crazy lady who sets fires
doesn't exactly fit into the story line of the song. (altho I think she
may have the appointment before me at the shrink...)  It sounds like
Ben's talking to someone who has set herself up as some sort of guru or
authority. That could be Alice C. the author. And there's the North
Carolina connection as well.  Just my opinion, but I'm going to read
that book of her's that Li'l Kim talked about (and i never read books)
just to see if it might have inspired Ben.

- --And now for the real reason I answered your posting:  You know I'm a
novice at this so tell me: What o' please does   mean????? none of my
cyberfriends have ever seen it used before in their e-mail fests.

My therapist tells me that if i'm ever going to get better, I need to
know if/what you called me. Doctor's orders! Thanks.

p.s.--Many thanks to the kind souls who sent me personal e-mails --like
Matthew-- to gently break it to me that I had stepped in it. Y'all are
the best!

p.p.s. for all you Brickheads--sorry to tell you, but you're all
wrong--a friend of mine knows darrel's uncle's caterer, and he said that
it was all an experiment, where Giant Cray Computers were used to
crunch sophisticated algorithms and generate a stream of song lyrics
totally at random.  (Pretty good song, considering.)

,

brad

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 01 Nov 1997 04:03:44 -0600
From: Mike Keehn
Subject: Halloween!!!

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this wonderful list, I just had to
post and give my thoughts on one hell of a show tonight. I just got back
to Columbus, and I just can't go to sleep. They were absolutely
awesome!!

I, along with a friend, got there pretty early and were right up against
the stage, just to Robert's left. There were actually two opening acts,
Verbow wasn't too bad, and the other one...I can't remember her
name(it's late), well, her band was really good. Then, after what seemed
like forever, Darren came onto the stage dressed as Ted Nugent!! After
pulling a bannana out of his pants and throwing it into the crowd, he
said that he never had anything to complain about except....that he was
never cool in school. Robert then came out, dressed as a space
man(complete with laser gun), and Ben followed as...Death! Ben started
out Underground with some spooky piano, and they had the mic distorted a
little to make it sound spooky too.

The show opened A LOT different than I thought it was going to. I don't
remember the exact order of the whole show, but they started with
Underground, Battle, Missing the War, and Philosophy. The non-album
tracks they played were: Emaline, Theme from Dr. Pyser, and She Don't
Use Jelly. Dr. Pyser was one of the highlights of the show. It was the
longest version that I've heard, Robert played a great solo.

The crowd was great, everyone seemed to know most of the stuff, when to
sing along, and when to shut up. I guess we were also pretty
knowledgable, when people were yelling requests, Ben said that he was
impressed with the knowledge of their set. The encore songs were She
Don't Use Jelly and Julianne.

After the show, we were about to leave, but driving behing the school we
saw a bunch of people waiting, so we decided to wait. And, just a little
bit later, Ben came out to sign autographs. I couldn't think of anything
to say, just got my ticket signed. Darren and Robert came out a little
after Ben left, Robert got right on to the bus, and Darren signed
autographs for a few of the people standing there. Overall a wonderful
experience, I can't wait until the next time they come through!!!

Mike
- --
Visit my Queen page at:
http://members.aol.com/mikekqf/queen.html

I poured my heart out
I poured my heart out......
              It evaporated...see?
Evaporated -- Ben Folds Five

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 01 Nov 1997 02:26:44 PST
From: "Kel Lane"
Subject: R.E.M = BFF

Hi
A few issues ago, someone mentioned that Smoke sounded a bit like
Nightswimming by the one and only REM.  Well, me being such a HUGE fan,
I kinda agree.  I guess that it is the piano that makes the sound so
similar.
Also, I think that Carrie mentioned something about. .  .sheet music.
Is that right? do u have any?  If so, could u please email me?!?!
Thanx

***This post was not supposed to be harmful.  Sorry to those with whom
it may have offended. . . ***

"You're my hero, I confess"
- - BFF
"I see that there is evil