Issue #627 - November 17, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest   Monday, November 17 1997   Volume 01 : Number 627

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I
will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

    clarification regarding Steven and Travis
    Philly airtime
    Farewell
    Austin-woohoo!!!
    Some thoughts
    Minn
    United Airlines...
    FANNYPACKS.RA
    Promo Video/Cd trade...again.
    bootlegs and posters.....
    fishy news...
    Another cover suggestion
    karaoke button?!
    RE: DC SHOW
    Anyone have extra tickets for Charlotte on Dec. 5th????

Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 21:06:55 -0500 (EST)
From: jsk2@acpub.duke.edu (Jason Karam)
Subject: clarification regarding Steven and Travis

Steven's last night in town is based
on Steven who is one of the guys in the band Travis.  I guess Steven spent
some time at Ben's house and y'all know the rest on that song.

Steven is not the guy from Travis. That was merely Ben making a joke. I
forget where I read it, but Steven is real and is from another land (Britain
perchance?). Travis played about two chords the whole time. It really makes
you appreciate the Five. Anyone know when the next show is in NC? Anyone
know where a comprehensive list of Ben bootlegs might be? Thanks!

Jay

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 21:46:50 +0000
From: Hilarie Surrena
Subject: Philly airtime

BFF is getting even more exposure in the Philadelphia area.  On the
night of the show here(11/9), I got into my car and "Brick" was playing
on 100.3.  88.5 plays "Brick," "BOWCCL," "Kate," and "Steven's Last
Night in Town."  I thought that 100.3 was only playing it because of the
show, but I've heard it about 4 times now.  100.3 usually just plays a
lot of mainstream stuff from artists that have a career duration of
about 3 months, but as we all know, BFF is a hell of a lot better than
that!
														Hil

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 23:17:06 -0500
From: "John E. Fahey"
Subject: Farewell

Well unfortuneately I feel the need to unsubscribe from the wonderful
Magical Armchair. I'll still be the biggest (and only) BFF fan in my
school, however it's school and a few other social things that are
gorcing me to leave. I just don't have time anymore to weed through 15+
issues every weekend. I'll probably resubcribe in a couple months for
discussion on Naked Baby Pictures, but until then I'm gone. So, this is
Steven's last night in town and my last night on the Magical Armchair.
Later......

cheers,
john

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 22:41:09 -0600
From: Allison L Aley
Subject: Austin-woohoo!!!

to brad, who asked about the austin show being sold out: no, i just bought
my ticket today and they didnt seem sold out at all!
i really just wanted to share my joy with all of you-i just got the tickets
to my first BFF concert, it is exactly one week from today!!! i cannot wait
to see them. all my friends have heard about since they met me in august is
that i AM going to see ben folds five if it kills me, and i finally really
am! isnt that exciting?
well i guess i wont clutter the list anymore...
if anyone else is going and would like to meet there, please let me know, i
would love to meet you!!
love to all-
alli
right now i think you really can see daisies in my footsteps...
"go ahead you can laugh all you want" -BFF

"But you see, I cannot wear shoes, because when I wear shoes it makes me
fall down."
- -Agador/Spartacus in The Birdcage, the bestest movie in the whole world!!!
"I made you short?"   -Armand Goldman in the Birdcage, still the bestest
movie in the world
"It looks like young boys...playing leapfrog..." Mrs. Keeley in the
Birdcage

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 00:04:01 -0500
From: "Lance E. Johnson"
Subject: Some thoughts

Hi, all!

A couple of things to share:

1. Got my tix for the Dec. 4 Georgetown U. show!  Somebody asked about how
to get them last Armchair.  Call Protix if you can't get them locally;
however, I bought two tix and they cost me $48.00 after all the processing
and handling fees.  A far cry from the $20.00 I'm usually paying.

2. Saw the "Brick" video finally on M2.  Pretty cool and somber.  Is it
just me, or does something look funky with Ben's right sideburn in the video?

3. On "She Don't Use Jelly", who sings the second verse?  It doesn't sound
like Ben, and I guess that it's Robert.  The shows I've seen, they haven't
played it, so if you know, please let me know.  An inquiring mind wants to
know.

4. "Tom and Mary" has got to be their coolest upbeat song!  My opinion!

Thanks for listening.

Lance

"Her name is Rio, and she dances on the sand..."  (wouldn't a Duran Duran
cover by the boys be pretty damn cool?

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 00:09:19 -0600 (CST)
From: Clio
Subject: Minn

is anyone going to the show monday night?
i know its a later show but if anyone feels like meeting for appetizers or
something let me know
amie

- --Amie Carvel
	"They're lined up at the window, peer down into limbo
     They're frightened of jumping, in case they survive"
			--Barenaked Ladies
http://www.tc.umn.edu/nlhome/m429/carv0022
carv0022@maroon.tc.umn.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 03:10:54, -0500
From: MZEH25B@prodigy.com (JAMES E OWSLEY)
Subject: United Airlines...

    Hey everyone.
      I just wanted to say a little about the tune at the end of
'philosophy'    - to me it sounds like the music that is on The
United Airlines commercials.       Don't you think?     Or is the
United Airlines commercial the Rhapsody on Blue by Gershwin?  Either
way. It sounds like that.   hehe ... crazy

                 -the bokk

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 09:43:33 -0500
From: Vito Biliti
Subject: FANNYPACKS.RA

For Those of Y'all who wanted to hear it, "For Those of Y'all who wear
fanny Packs is the RealAudio of the week on my site!  Enjoy!

Vito

BBB  EEEE N   N     FFFF  OO  L    DD    SS      FFFF I V     V EEEE
B  B E    NN  N     F    O  O L    D D  S        F    I V     V E
BBB  EEE  N N N     FFF  O  O L    D D   S       FFF  I  V   V  EEE
B  B E    N  NN     F    O  O L    D D    S      F    I   V V   E
BBB  EEEE N   N     F   goATman1@geOCitiES.com   F    I    V    EEEE
- ------http://www.Geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/7544/bf5.html------

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 10:27:29 -0500 (EST)
From: MeandMrRay@aol.com
Subject: Promo Video/Cd trade...again.

Sorry to post this again, It seems some of you got it allready...But the post
never got to my Mailbox. Its seems Raymond, and his continual posting of
issue 262 has really messed thing up...again, I apoligize for the repeated
post.

Hey Folks,
         I got a couple new things for trade:

1. I have one extra copy of "Whatever and Amen, A Video Portrait". Its a
promo only video that came out about the same as the last record. Its about
15 minutes of the boys acting silly and it also has the Battle of Who could
Care Less video on the end. Its pretty great, and hard to come across. I only
have one spare copy...So I'm gonna trade it to the best offer. (I'm thinking
I'd like to get a few bootleg tapes for this one) Anyone who traded for the
B-sides comp I put together (all 14 of you) the audio dialog at the end of
the tape is from the video.

2. I have access to about 5 copies of the "Mix Tapes a Masterpiece" Promo Cd.
Its a 6 song sampler from WEAEA. All the tracks are from the record, so this
is really for the very serious collecter. Again, this is a promo only
thing...so its hard to come by. I have to pay five dollars a piece for them
at my work, So Id like to get like 2 tapes for one. again, I'll trade to the
best five offers/

3. I still have my homemade singles comp for trade. Its about 22 songs that
arent on the records. Its all the singles, soundtrack cuts, and a couple of
other songs. Plus its got a nifty cover. Its good for all you who cant find
the singles. I'll trade it to anyone who has something to trade in return
thats fun (BF5 related, of course)

4. I have some live tapes as well, Email me for a list.

I wont sell any of these things! Its against the law, and I would never do
that to my super heros...Ben Folds Five....trade only.

Sorry to take up so much space.

I hope to trade with a bunch of you...lets all spread the joy of Ben Folds
Five!

Send trade offers to: MeandMrRay@Aol.com

Thanks, and um... keep on rockin!

Greg.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 15:30:54 -0500
From: aplauri@juno.com (Philip J. L.)
Subject: bootlegs and posters.....

just a word to all of you, i have a couple of boots off the current tour,
and tons of others from previous dates, but in otherwords i would like to
trade for anything  i dont have!!!
come see my list at
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Lounge/4999/bff.html   thanks!!!

secondly, i really wamt some bff posters!!!!  if *ANYONE* has *ANYTHING*
of *BEN FOLDS FIVE*, that would bve willing to trade or give up, i would
be so appreciative.  i  have got boots, video(all tv appearances
including sessions and brick debut...), pictures of the band (taken from
horde and other various shows...), so please lemme know of any posters or
promotional picture/poster type things.....  i appreciate it!!!!

philip

bff boots and more!!!!

Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 15:22:57 -0500
From: aplauri@juno.com (Philip J. L.)
Subject: fishy news...

alright folks, heres a tid bit of info that i found really weird:

i was looking in an old pamphlet from a bar in east lansing that showed
concerts that they were going to have in the month of november in 1993.
one of the bands listed was "the ben folds band"  my question is, does
anyone know if this is of any relation or if it is ben and the boys
before ben folds FIVE was adopted.  i dunno.  maybe someone could help me
out here.....  then again maybe not...

happy days-philip

"who's got the looks, who's got the brains. . . who's got everything???"
- -BEN FOLDS

bff webpage with all kinds of sounds bootlist, and real audio!  come
visit and trade!!!!!!!!
              http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Lounge/4999/bff.html

Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 16:20:22 -0800
From: cruffner
Subject: Another cover suggestion

On may home the other night from seeing Mason Ruffner (a very distant relation of
mine) in VA on friday.  WHFS played "Bitchin' Camero" by the Dead Milkman.  Which I
decided would make a great cover for the boys to do.  I would be a good seque from
Underground.

See everyone at the Georgetown show.  Which is on sale through Pro-Tix, thats where
i got mine.

chris

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 18:28:16 -0500
From: Rebecca.Cole@mail.cc.trincoll.edu (Rebecca Cole)
Subject: karaoke button?!

>In Julianne, around the 1:30s (i think) you can hear someone say "Oh, put it
>over there." It's real faint, but if you have a Kareoke button on your stereo
>you can hear it a lot easier. But even without the button, it's noticable if
>you really listen.

All I want to know is WHERE CAN I GET A STEREO WITH A KARAOKE BUTTON? And
don't I have one yet? If ever there was something that I needed...

Oh, and I would give my pinky toe to hear Ben Folds Five doing "Mother and
Child Reunion." Paul Simon is on the highest of pedestals in my little
world...what a man.

We can dance if we want to,
Rebby

***
"These knees have stories, she said, but they'd have to be a mouth to tell
them."                               -Brian Andreas

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 18:32:27 -0500
From: Rodrigo Delgado
Subject: RE: DC SHOW

> Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 22:58:38 -0500 (EST)
> From: "Christina M. Scarmeas" <15SCARMEAS@cua.edu>
> Subject: DC SHOW
>
> So, call me stupid, but I have such a hard time finding out how to get
> tickets for the show. can anyone help me out? Are they selling them
> through Georgetown or PROTIX or the dreaded Ticketmaster?? Ugh! This is
> soo frustrating.
> Thanks a bunch!
> Tina

Heh Tina,

The DC show is a PROTIX event.  Tickets available at Record and Tape
Traders, Georgetown Ticket Center, or any DC Protix locals.  $18 plus $2
charge.  Hope to see you there.

Roy

Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 19:24:44 -0500
From: Sonny Pieper
Subject: Anyone have extra tickets for Charlotte on Dec. 5th????

I was looking for any tickets for the show in Charlotte on Dec. 5th.  I
checked with Ticketmaster last week and the show is already SOLD OUT!!
Please mail me if you can help out this deprived BF5 fan.....

whatever and ever, AMEN!

Sonny

e-mail: sonnyp@mindspring.com