Issue #669 - December 3, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest  Wednesday, December 3 1997  Volume 01 : Number 669

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I
will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

    Raymond!!!!  holy cow!
    My own BFF/Oasis post
    PPenis AYE and jerks
    Bass and general stuff
    Number 666
    the fillmore show!!!
    A BFF-filled weekend
    February "mini-tour" question AND still need Charlotte tix!
    Real Audio Broadcast
    Austin show
    Re: okay i've had it
    japan situation
    armchair #666
    Musical terminology & other useless tidbits
    el rey
    last night in los angeles---bff rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hi, I'm the damn Japanese girl at the LA shows

Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 19:47:38
From: "Hannah Kuhlmann"
Subject: Raymond!!!!  holy cow!

is it just a coincidence that digest #666 was full of that INFERNAL #462
repeat post?  Like most other people, I thought 462 was great the first
time, fine the second, and increasingly annoying every time I got it after
that.
Actually, Raymond may have discovered a way to drive people away from the
Armchair that's even more affective than spreading gay/crack rumors!
I, however, plan to weather the storm.  Armchair is cool!  (except for
#462.)
hannah kuhlmann - kuhl0025@tc.umn.edu
I feel like a quote out of context,
withholding the rest,
so I can be for you what you want to see. . .
- -BEN FOLDS

Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 20:58:11 -0500
From: jaedonely@juno.com (A A DONELY)
Subject: My own BFF/Oasis post

It got a little screwed up on the trip to the armchair, its really hard
typing things in two columms-at one point I wrote something like "Liam is
a sex symbol" but it got changed to "Liam is sex."  Now my initial
reaction is....eeeuuuu!!! But actually, if you think about it, its kinda
funny.(Im chuckling quietly to myself as I type) But my fellow
armchairites got the point, right? I used to be completely obbsessed with
Oasis and it really seems like BFF's newfound Brick poplarity is echoing
what happened to Oasis's Wonderwall popularity.  Now we're in trouble if
Brick is played at one of my school dances(its normally hardcore rap for
the white Irish catholic suburban homies), but Ill keep you guys posted
on that.  Anyway, Oasis got a helluva lotta bad press with their asshole
antics and blatant Beatles ripoffs and big ol mouths.  Im sure the same
will happen for Ben and his folding five, seeing that Ben is The crack
smoking pot worshipping cross dressing bad boy of rocknroll, ripping off
Elton John every minute!;) (Im not serious!!! I reallly really respect
the people in BFF as opposed to the battling Gallagher bros.) Im actually
really curious to see if people see the career paths coinciding so
eerily. Im going to the Dec 2 radio show, Im terribly excited about it, I
hope I get in!  I want Bens piano seat! Isnt Robert cool looking when
he's jumping up and down, playing his base, and smoking a cigarette all
at the same time?  SEXY MOFOS!:)
~Elisabeth
"Ben Folds Five is sex."  (hahahahahaha!)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 21:08:23
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: PPenis AYE and jerks

Peter wrote:
I'm assuming this is Vancouver, British Columbia, in Canada.  Which means
that what they were probably saying (and which the author of the interview
would have caught had he bothered to check his spelling with Ben), was
"PENIS, EH?"

At least I think the story is much funnier that way.  :)

You're right. That's what i thought when i typed it. The kid who wrote it i
don't think likes BFF anymore because he had his head "up his indie ass"
and he probably thinks they sold out. he was cool the first time i met him,
but you know, people change...
jess

"All the boys are monsters;
	All the girls are whores.
But when you lose the one you love,
	There's always plenty more."
		-Squirrel Nut Zippers

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 13:31:34 +1100
From: "BECK"
Subject: Bass and general stuff

This is just a general question about the bass effects that Robert uses
I know that one of his distortions is one of the new Big Muff pedals. The
other is a white box. I forget the name of it.(can anyone help there??)
I also wish to know which effect it is that he uses the most, and what
effect is used where.

That is if anybody knows, and can be bothered to tell me, but I all know
that you are a terrific bunch of people.

I also wish to make public my admiration for Petra, you really are the
greatest person to grace this earth, and Anna, enjoy your "holiday" ;)

Later Folks

(\/)att

- --"staple gun? I didn't know it was an essential part of the diet!"
- --"oh yeah, it's loaded with iron."

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 18:57:32 -0800 (PST)
From: Batman
Subject: Number 666

Just thought I'd point out the appropriateness of Armchair #666 consisting
of two "raymond" posts... :)
					Love,
					  Max
"Sure, some girls were chasing after the bad guys, which is another reason to
make trouble: boys learn pretty early that we can't get a girl without a
car or a prison record." - Tim Allen
- --------------------------------------------------------------------------
BENFOLDSFIVE*ODDS*TORIAMOS*PAULSIMON*TOMPETTY*ROLLINGSTONES*NINEINCHNAILS*
REDHOTCHILIPEPPERS*            Max Wall		  	 SMASHINGPUMPKINS*
THETORIES*		    Whitman College		        PINKFLOYD*
RADIOHEAD*		 Walla Walla, WA 99362			AEROSMITH*
FIONAAPPLE*	    http://www.whitman.edu/~wallmr/		 PEARLJAM*
THEBEATLES*		  wallmr@whitman.edu			    STING*
HOOCHIEGLIDE*		    (509)527-5685		       SPEEDQUEEN*
FOOFIGHTERS*RAGEAGAINSTTHEMACHINE*PRESIDENTSOFTHEUNITEDSTATESOFAMERICA*U2*

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 22:00:05 -0500 (EST)
From: JCannery@aol.com
Subject: the fillmore show!!!

   What a great show!  And San Francisco is such a nice city.  Ok, where
should I begin?  I thought Travis was good.  The lead singer was pretty
funny.  Also, during Travis, someone notified me that I was sitting in
between Ben Folds Fives manager and Alanis Morisette!  So that was PRETTY
COOL.  It was very cool, in fact.  Alanis laughed at a lot of the stuff
Robert said.  Anyways, all this had happend before bff had even come out yet!
 Well they did come out, and played basically the same thing as other shows,
except I think they were going to play Smoke but they played Alice Childress
instead.   During Underground Robert went into a disco thing for his part,
and the Fillmore has a disco ball which they got rolling.  It was just great.
 I have a really bad memory and can't remeber much else about the show.  But
afterwards, I got to go backstage!  And I was pretty nervous.  But they were
really nice.  I had them sign my CD, and a postcard for my friend.  I got a
picture taken with them, and someone mentioned I was from upstate ny, and
then robert said someting about coming on a moped.  Ok, I'm really tired now,
and kinda sick (I don't think I should have eaten that potato donut us air
gave me on the flight).   So I'll stop babbling. But one question:  did
anyone tape the show?

lindsay
 http://members.aol.com/jcannery/bff.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 22:02:04 -0500 (EST)
From: just katy
Subject: A BFF-filled weekend

Alas, though I didn't get to watch the boys online last night (I was at my
parents house without net access), BFF popped up in the most surprising
places last weekend.

On my flight from Boston to Chicago, someone had left behind their copy of
People with the little Ben blurb in it.

Then, in the car on Friday night I heard Brick on the radio for the first
time (Q101, the alternative station.  I think they must be playing that a
lot).  I was in the car with a bunch of friends whom I made be completely
quiet while I listened to it (amazing, if you know my friends).

And finally, when we were about to watch a video, we turned on the TV which
was set to MTV and who should I see but the boys talking to Jenny McCarthy!
A wonderful little surprise, and all my friends had to deal with me yelling
, "It's Ben Folds Five!  It's Ben Folds Five!"

So I'm really happy that my favorite trio is popping up all over the media.
Hope all you guys able to go to the Boston show tonight enjoyed it!

__________________
Katy Demcak
kdemcak@wellesley.edu	http://wilbur.wellesley.edu/a-m/kdemcak/kdemcak.html
"For awhile we could sit, smoke a pipe and discuss all the vast intricacies of
life" -- Paul McCartney

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 22:01:35 -0500
From: Sonny Pieper
Subject: February "mini-tour" question AND still need Charlotte tix!

Has anyone heard what US cities (and/or dates) are on the February
"mini-tour"? (in support of the January release of Naked Baby Photos, i
assume?)

One girl posted from Cleveland earlier quoting a newspaper article that BF5
was coming back in February. (is there a place on the web where we can view
this article?)  And listening to Mr. Folds last night via Real Audio (at
around 2:30 AM back on the East coast!), he stated that they hope to come
back to LA in February also...  anyone have any more details?  none of the
appropriate web sites have much info!

also, I STILL NEED A TICKET FOR CHARLOTTE THIS FRIDAY NIGHT!  I checked
Ticketmaster today in hopes of finding some (recently released) tickets,
but alas the show is STILL sold out!  Can anyone help me out?  I willing to
trade copies of BF5 bootlegs AND cash for the ticket(s).

whatever and ever, AMEN!

Sonny in Atlanta, Georgia

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 22:10:16 -0500 (EST)
From: Mansuetude@aol.com
Subject: Real Audio Broadcast

I made a tape from the real audio broadcast last night and it turned out
geat!  If anyone is interested in it, email me privately... My net connection
shut down twice though, so you miss a chunk of philosophy and a bit of
another song.. :(

Kris

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 21:35:40 -0600
From: dmw
Subject: Austin show

By any chance, does anybody have a recording of the Austin show from Nov. 22nd?
If so, please email me and we can try to work out a trade (I have a few BF5
shows and many other tapes from various artists).

Thanks,

David
whittakd@lib.enmuros.cc.nm.us

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 22:31:12 -0600
From: "*danelle*"
Subject: Re: okay i've had it

>well, the guy says,
that would be carson (?)
>ben folds five is a
> good band who recently opened up for the counting crows and here's their
> latest video. well, i was shocked...i love the video for brick. however,
> they cut it off halfway through! and it was super obvious! i'm so upset
> right now that i could just scream.

> - -bess

my roommate and i were watching the same thing!  we were so pumped to see
the video too. i was super super happy.  she was too, cause she's just
gettin' hooked on them (after living w/me blaring them 24-7 fer the past
year an a half)  an i knew that they were endin' it, and i was like,
there's so much more, my roommate had never seen the video.
i just wanted you to know, i feel yer pain.

*danelle
         "being awake never felt like this before..."

                                 -ben folds five

Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 13:40:11 +0900
From: mark roberts
Subject: japan situation

Hey, I just got the Jap version of WAEA, and its hillarious.  Is this
rare? Or do all of you guys already have it. Yeah, BFF is pretty big in
Japan, but its nowhere near household name type stardom. When I say big,
I mean, its one of the larger selling American artists in Japan. They
are still not at all as big as some of the japanese artists here.  Dont
get too excited.

Mark

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 00:19:22 +0100
From: Lou Papineau
Subject: armchair #666

how appropriate that said armchair was generated by the relentless
raymond

i'm renting "the omen" ASAP

lou

"it's coming on christmas / they're cutting down trees / they're putting
up reindeer / and singing songs of joy and peace / oh i wish i had a
river/ i i could skate away on"

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 01:22:09 -0500
From: Richard Challen
Subject: Musical terminology & other useless tidbits

The "horn keyboard thing" that Ben blows is actually called a melodica,
if I'm not mistaken. Although I've heard it called a harmonium as well.
The idea is akin to a piano/recorder combo (remember recorders from 5th
grade?) and it takes a LOT of breath to sustain long lines like Ben
does.
By the way, I'm pissed at everyone who's been raving about shows as I
have YET to catch BF5 on this current tour. However, I did see them
about 6 months after the 1st album release and they were amazing. And
they were playing "Dwarf," "Steven's," and "Dumped" even back then...
'cuz I remember my girlfriend getting annoyed when I kept singing "Gimme
my money back you bitch" in the parking lot. Oh well... memories...

- --rICH

p.s. they also did a spot-on version of "Video Killed The Radio Star,"
which I would gladly trade tapes for... (hint, hint)

Visit The RICH Homepage and check out the brand-new CD,
LIFE/DEATH... 15 songs of romance and retribution...
Available independently from Desperate Man Records.
         http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Stage/9035

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 01:35:52 -0500 (EST)
From: MissDa@aol.com
Subject: el rey

hey... i'm looking for a guy who was standing in front of me at the el rey
show... i don't know if he was on the armchair but i know he was taping the
show, he had a mic clipped to the bill of his cap.  are you him?  do you know
him?  i was the one with the hawaiian shirt and the camera, trying
desperately to shoot over the heads of the people between me and the stage.
 i got some good shots, don't know when i'll be putting 'em online but i will
eventually... i'm still in shock that they let me in with my camera.  anyway,
i'm keeping this sorta short so as not to annoy anybody.... but if mr.
microphone or anybody else has a tape of the el rey show that they want to
trade, please email me...  thanks a bunch!

amanda
missda@aol.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 22:45:02 -0800
From: brad crum
Subject: last night in los angeles---bff rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!

los angeles had a new mayor when the sun came up this morning, our first
from North Carolina.  Last night at the El Rey, Ben conqured L.A.
The place was positively packed and the energy was amazing.  the usually
"cool" L.A. crowd threw all reserve to the winds and embraced our lads.

Even better....
this morning they were the talk of KROQ, LA's premeire Alt. rock
station. I heard Brick at 8:26 followed a few minutes later by a concert
report that sounded more like a love letter to BFF.  The woman was very
careful to give the audience the band's whole story.  She all but
admitted that she was in love with Ben and was figuring out how to get
next to him.   whatever.  Whatever it takes to get the Best Damn Band in
 the Universe  all the accolades it deserves.

i heard Brick again on KROQ tonight. This could be a big break for the
band if this station takes it under its wing. KROQ is arguably the most
influential station in the country when it comes to getting music played
and stocked in stores.   PLEASE DO THIS. IF YOU LIVE IN THE LA AREA,
DROP EVERYTHING AND CALL, WRITE, E-MAIL YOU RADIO STATIONS TO PAY
ATTENTION TO WHAT'S GOING ON, AND TO START PLAYING BFF.  THIS IS OUR
CHANCE TO HIT CRITICAL MASS -- PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN.

p.s. i kinda forgot the particulars. they started with ...who could care
less....then philosophy...then i kinda lost it for awhile, and they
ended with a smashing rendition of Underground. Oh yes, right before
that, the definitive, I believe, live version of Jackson Cannery.
That song has lost none of its punch since the pre first album days.

Oh, and it was cool taht they tried Steven minus the Klesmer (sp?) band.
By running back and forth to the piano, Ben pulled it off, while the
guys sang the key instrumental parts. Very inventive!! Damn! it's why we
love 'em.

Keep the BFFaith!

Brad (laughing at my Torch) Crum

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 23:06:28 -0800
From: Janet
Subject: Hi, I'm the damn Japanese girl at the LA shows

Hi.
I'm sorry Larry if you're mad at me :)
And I'm sorry if I pissed anyone else off.
Let me clear things up, I didn't get the setlist to the El Rey show.
The security guard gave it to the girl in the wheelchair.  But Joe felt
bad because some screaming girl took Darren's setlist the night before
(I got a copy that no one used) so he gave me the piano seat to be
nice.  I didn't ask for it, I wouldn't dream of asking for the seat.
And I didn't mean to gloat about it, I was just really happy.  I'm not
Japanese either.  Rob thought I was too.

It was really nice to meet some armchair people like Adam (and Nancy and
his friends) and Courtney.  We were up front on Ben's side.  We had the
nametags on if you guys saw us.  Adam looks exactly like Adam Sandler :)
And Courtney, he played "Emaline" for you this time :)

Travis wore our nametags.  Francis is so nice.

My friend took pictures and she should get them developed by Wednesday.
If they're any good I'll be sure to make copies for Adam and Courtney
(they asked) and of course, Larry :)

If anyone taped the show I would love a copy.  I'll trade.

And Joe (the roadie), if you read the armchair (I think Doug does),
thank you so much.

It was a fantastic weekend.

Take care.
Janet.