Issue #683 - December 7, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest    Sunday, December 7 1997    Volume 01 : Number 683

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I
will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

SCHOOL VACATIONS
   If you will be away from your e-mail account during school break, you
might wish to unsubscribe until you return to prevent your inbox from
filling up.
   If you use a vacation responder, please make sure it is set
to use the "From:" address in the message header rather than the
"Reply-to:" address. This will keep your vacation messages from appearing
in the Armchair.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Re:  Georgetown Review
    Ed who runs the japan BFF page.  ..
    Re: NBP and Courtney's "end is growing near" post
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #681
    Okay, I'm not so pissed off....
    THANKS, GINNY & G-TOWN
    Youngin's, Other Folds, Popularity
    Quick!  Bombard me with information!
    Show rules

Date: Sat, 6 Dec 1997 01:25:07 EST
From: JoanneQ <JoanneQ@aol.com>
Subject: Re:  Georgetown Review

Well, our sixth BFF show is now in the books and it was, of course, another
outstanding performance.  We drove down from Phila. and thought the setting
was really unique and enjoyable.  Thank you again Ginny Song for your help
getting there....it was nice meeting you last night.

As for the show, my highlights were She Don't Use Jelly, Underground and
Boxing, which we hadn't heard live since the first time we saw them at the
Khyber Pass almost 2 years ago.

Bring on the next show.
                                      Jeff
"Where's Taj?"

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Dec 1997 09:34:24
From: "Hannah Kuhlmann" <kuhl0025@tc.umn.edu>
Subject: Ed who runs the japan BFF page.  ..

Edward A. Weinstein, I need your e-mail address!  (through a series of
misadventures on other people's PC's, I was forced to forward my own mail to
myself, and thus couldn't reply to your letter.  . .)

sorry for the post no one else cares about. . .
- ---------------------------------------
hannah kuhlmann - kuhl0025@tc.umn.edu
a bad ass mother G.I. Joe,
for your little minds to blow
- -BEN FOLDS
- ---------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Dec 1997 10:50:02 EST
From: Scoota97 <Scoota97@aol.com>
Subject: Re: NBP and Courtney's "end is growing near" post

hello all,

	Well, due to the good fortune of having a friend who is the VP at a certain
music-related business =-)  I just heard the reviewer's copy of NBP.....it is
incredible!!! I have heard all the songs before on various boots and import
singles (except dick holster) but it is great to hear the songs at such a high
level of quality.  There are certain songs in which I heard things that I had
never heard before on the "30th generation boot" here's a quick rundown on
some of the highlights:
Jackson Cannery-it is the 7" version which I hadn't heard before..and it is
great.
Emaline-with guitar but I don't think it is the Majosha version
Dick Holster-cool instrumental (like cowboys on crack)
Fanny Packs-Same version as the import but much cleaner and overall better
sound
Underground-Ziggy's version with the obligatory "who the fu#k are you?"
shouted from the crowd
Ultimate Sacrifice-I never knew what the verse was on the slow part of the
song was...I heard it last night and laughed my butt off!! ( here I
sit....brokenhearted.....came to sh@t....but... only...farrrtteed!!)
and at the end of "dumped" where they say "thank you, we're the Spice
Girls"...very funny stuff!! All the tracks are great and I am thankful to have
had the opportunity to hear them....now I just have to wait for the CD to be
released!!
	On another note, Courtney's post is probably pretty close to the truth. It is
amazing how many new fans are flocking to the boys (which is great, don't get
me wrong) but I have this fear that soon they will be playing the larger
venues to sold out audiences and the people who were able to stand up to the
stage in the past will be banished to the nosebleed section. See them in the
clubs while you still can.

Later,

~Scott

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Dec 1997 11:23:14 -0600
From: "Matthew Pekarek" <mpekarek@sprynet.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #681

> From: cambot@juno.com
> I really hate it that kids who like this sort of "sophisticated music"
> are often looked down upon by older fans of the group (i.e. They Might Be
> Giants, Man or Astro-Man?, Soul Coughing, *Ben Folds Five*, etc.). I am
> 15 & I truly, honestly love Ben Folds' music. Sure, Whatever & Ever Amen
> was the first album I bought of theirs, but so what? I got into it even
> before this whole "Brick" deal started (I helped vote it into regular
> rotation on our local radio station). I am a bit new to the whole scene,
> but I DO know the names of the whole band, have some of their import CDs,
> a shirt, bootlegs, & figured out Evaporated on the piano. I bought
> tickets to the last show they had here, but I ended up not going &
> helping to make it an older crowd. I hate having bands come through town
> with an 18+ concert because they are usually the ones I want to go to. Of
> course, it could be said on the other side of the spectrum that an unhip
> older fellow / miss could try to be cool once again by becoming a fan of
> an up & coming band & tear down their Styx posters & put up
> computer-sheet printed "Ben Folds Five" logos with the lyrics to Brick
> underneath it. Oh yeah, & instead of saying that they want to perform
> intercourse with one of the band members, they end up yelling "When is
> that song they play on the radio coming on?". I've seen it before. I
> don't want to put down the older fans of the group, I am just sick of
> being stereo-typed as a trendy guy who listens to *THEIR* music when I
> should be out listening to something like Pantera, Green Day, or Bush
> that they don't understand (I don't like these bands much, either - my
> cousins complain because I have no CDs by bands they have heard of). The
> moral of this rant? Well, i am glad that you asked. It is:  THERE ARE
> SOME BANDS THAT PEOPLE CAN ENJOY, NO MATTER HOW OLD YOU ARE!!!! AND NO
MORE 18+ CONCERTS (except maybe for Styx or Van Halen)!!!!!!!! Thank you
> & good day.

AMEN SISTER!

Let's remember that this is music, not an exclusive clique.

It doesn't matter how much street cred you have, if you like it, then
that's good enough.

Enough bashing already! Let's put our focuses on something else.

Personally, I love hearing "Brick" at Perkins!

"Nothing compared to how our people matter"
				-Chumbawumba :-)
Matt

"Nice guys finish last, no one knows as good as me."
           -The Descendants  "I'm the One"

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Dec 1997 00:01:24 -0500
From: cambot@juno.com
Subject: Okay, I'm not so pissed off....

I was pissed at the age thing & I went off the handle. Sorry, folks. I
might as well make an apology right now for those of you who had to
scroll through my ranting. I didn't mean to offend anyone, just prove a
point. So before you flood my mailbox with angry letters & such,
remember: Don't send them. I said it & I'd say it again if I had to.

*NOW THE PART THAT MIGHT BE RELEVANT TO THE REST OF THE LETTER, BUT
PROBABLY ISN'T*

Ben Folds Five is not to be kept to a little group of people in the
corner of the room (woah, what a metaphore). I like the fact that people
recognise them on the shirt I wear & say "Hey! They are pretty cool!"
because our local station plays all 3 singles. i laugh when I am sitting
in music class playing Evaporated & someone asks "What are you playing?"
followed by "By Who?" and then "Can you play (name of Ben Folds Five
single here; usually Brick)?". If BF5 become big & famous, good for them!
They deserve it more than nearly all of the bands that have hit the big
time. Kids like good music too, ya know! Of course, there are always
some.....(i know a 14 year old fan of *cough* Styx...) Oh yeah, I can't
forget Bush or Chumby-Gumby (yeah, I know. Chumbawumba- I just think that
Chumby-Gumby is a cooler name) or Sugar Ray or even (God forbid) Puff
Daddy. Well, now that I think about it, nearly all the teenagers in my
school have horrible taste in music. But what are you gonna do? I could
play "For Those of Ya'll Wearing Fanny Packs" for them. Hey, now that I
think of it...no. they aren't worth it. Well, thanks for reading & have a
great day at whatever the hell you do best!

Steve!

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Dec 1997 13:33:58 EST
From: JoanneQ <JoanneQ@aol.com>
Subject: THANKS, GINNY & G-TOWN

	There’s already been nice reviews of the Georgetown show posted, but I just
want to add a public high five to Ginny Song & the rest of the Georgetown
Program Board for their involvement in setting up Thursday night’s concert and
mostly, for keeping us on the Armchair especially informed. Very nice of you
to provide a service in the true spirit of the Armchair!
	I don’t mean to sound trite, but you really had to be there to see how this
concert was truly something special. The hall itself was so striking, with
soaring vaulted ceilings & elaborate religious icons  painted & sculpted all
over the walls. I can understand why a videographer would choose to record
there because the atmosphere it provided was just too cool.
	I thought the whole show was more G-rated than others I’ve seen (Like that R-
rated extravaganza at Lupo’s in Providence  with a Special Appearance by
Satan!) It focused more on the music than general crowd-interactive silliness,
made-up songs, and the like. I thought they were a little less loquacious than
usual, but they fit in 21 songs, so you won’t hear me complaining. The
“Dumped” finale though, was the big, hysterical exception. Lots of stool-
throwing, big drum solo, everyone screaming well F---you, too. The thought
struck me earlier in the concert during “Dwarf” about how therapeutic it is to
scream Kiss my Ass over and over again in a room with hundreds of others.
	Well, I hope this video is released to the public - not only because I'd buy
it in a New York minute, but all of you fans would truly love it, too. The
versions of Alice Childress & Boxing we heard would bring you to tears. It was
a real blip on the BFF history thus far, imho.
	What the heck’s a Hoya? Well, I know it’s something that can host an
excellent concert. (Now, finesse on the basketball court is quite another
thing…go Villanova WIldcats! :)) Thanks again, GTown.
	I know I can't wait until February! Don’t these boys ever rest?!

																Joanne
“…there goes Joe Caparo again.”

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 06 Dec 1997 13:54:40 -0500
From: "Mr. Dan" <waitspen@freenet.hut.fi>
Subject: Youngin's, Other Folds, Popularity

Hey Y'all,
	I guess first I should introduce myself since I'm new to the list, I'm
Mr. Dan. I went along to a BF5 concert about a year ago, not because I
liked the
band, but because I wanted to get off Campus for a night. I didn't like the
band before I went, but by the end of the night they had won a new fan.
	That was at the Cleveland Odeon, and it was during the BoWCCC popularity,
which seems alot like the whole Brick thing is now (being isolated in a small
College separates me from the big scenes). While I liked the music, the
crowd was awful, filled with what my friend calls "white hats" (y'know the
preppy jock type guys and their vacant girlfriends). I admit they all knew
the words, but there's a difference between singing parts of a song and the
whole song. I shouted out key phrases ("What's he worth?" "NOTHING" etc., my
friend told me about them) and hummed along at points, but if you take away
from other's being able to, well, hear the band, it's a bit excessive. The
point here, in terms of the popularity thing, is that just because someone
picks up the album because of a hit, doesn't mean they aren't "worthy" fans.
These guys knew the words by heart, it was amazing.
	Let's talk about the young folk now. The second show I saw was the
Halloween show at Lakewood (boy did I feel sorry for poor Kim and Verbow, but
that's another post). We got there early so we could be close to the stage,
but
by the time BF5 came on we were so crowded we couldn't move (we being myself,
and my friends Ali and Rachael). So what did we do, we went back into the
aisles and danced like maniacs, there was so much room. Sure the folks up
front got lollipops, but they were packed in like sardines. Meanwhile our
dancing caught on with those around us (fun is contagious) and the show
was thoroughly enjoyable. What I'm trying to say is that there are assholes
at every show, you just have to work around them. Hell, there were people
smoking up in the audience so drugs aren't just an adult thing like some
other poster pointed out.
	Quick note on moshing, since somone brought it up. It has to be done
respectfully, that's the only problem. It is about dancing wildly and if you
bump into someone, so be it. Now that it's become trendy you get "FSU" types
who think it's fun to hurt people. I'm 6'5" and well over 200. I don't mosh
unless only big and tough types are moshing, even when I go to hardcore
shows, usually I stand at the edge of the pit and keep moshers from
hitting dancers or rescue 12 year old brain deads who run in and think they
can
handle it. If you're small, stay out of the pit. But if you're big don't be
an asshole. A friend of mine was bodysurfing at a Primus show back before Pork
Soda came out when he slipped and was standing on his head. The whole pit
stopped to help right him, made sure he was okay, then went back to dancing.
That's the way it should be. That said, not all places are the right place for
a pit. BF5 are not a moshing bands, but there are some where bouncing up and
down is very appropriate.
	Also, the other Folds is Chuck Folds who is in a band called Bus Stop.
I think they're on TVT. They're a fun band, as fun as BF5, but maybe not as
musical. My brother tells me there's an album or two on which Ben plays, but
he's not 100% sure.
	Well, if you read this far, thank you, and sorry about the long post.
		-Mr. Dan
	(of www.tongue-zine.com )

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Dec 1997 13:51:15 EST
From: Grover918 <Grover918@aol.com>
Subject: Quick!  Bombard me with information!

Hello Everybody,
     (some quick exposition) I live in a town that's worse than tiny.
Tallahassee, FL is, I suppose, in the middle range but THINKS it's grown up.
Luckily, one of our local radio stations employs DJs who search for music that
those of us who appreciate music will enjoy (as for the general Tallahassee
crowd "What?  This doesn't sound anything like Bush!"  <thanks rob>).  So,
about a year ago I hear "The Battle of Who Could Care Less" on this pioneer
radio station and I really liked it.  SO, (here's the meaty part) I go get the
CD, listen to it without much evangelical success for a year, and know that
Brick is "cool" I feel the need to know a bit more about the band, less I
sound like a Bush fan (Sorry to any Bush fans, just a random band that I don't
care for to pick on).
    ANYWAY, <inhales>  if anybody can tell me ANYTHING about BFF pre-
Whatever....  I would be forever greatful.
     Glad to be on the list and thanks in advance for the info-

Andy "I'll take bets that Elmo turns blue at pueberty" Kahl
 <A HREF="mailto:grover918@aol.com">grover918@aol.com</A>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Dec 1997 14:46:32 EST
From: NJDRUMMER <NJDRUMMER@aol.com>
Subject: Show rules

Hi everybody.

Because I truely want your Ben Folds Five live experience to be a memorable
and joyful one I've come up with some rules and regulations that I've composed
after listening to the thoughts of some disapointed concert-goers.  Please
adhere to these rules if you should be so lucky as to see the boys if they
come to your town.

BEN FOLDS FIVE RULES & REGULATIONS FOR LIVE SHOWS

1.  There will be no talking, chatting, whispering, yelling, laughing (stupid
grinning is accepted) once inside the building.
2.  All fans will be seated immediately after entry.  See rule 3 for process.
3.  All fans will be measured and weighed as they enter.  Seating order is
based on size.  Smaller, lighter fans in the front rows...big fat people in
the back.  Once in your seat you are to remain there until the show is over.
If you have to go to the bathroom...too bad.  You should have done that at
home.
4.  DO NOT touch any other fan.  Touchers will be immediately ejected.  If you
should brush against another fan, said fan may ask for ejection.  In most
cases request will be granted.
5.  At no time shall any fan raise their hand or any other body part above
their head.  Raisers will be immediately ejected.
6.  You may politely smile and clap (using 2 fingers on each hand) when the
band comes out on stage and between each song.  There shall be no thundering
aplause.  Thunderous applauders shall be immeditely ejected.  If you get the
urge to yell something please see rule 1.
7.  THERE WILL BE NO SINGING ALONG WITH THE BAND.  This is a very serious
infraction and violaters will be delt with seriously.  Fans do not come to
hear your crappy off key voice.
8.  If any band member asks you to sing, speak, applaud, raise a limb or has
any other request that is in violation of these rules & regulations DO NOT
FALL FOR IT!  The band is well aware of these rules and knows that you will be
ejected.  This is just a clever attempt to have the whole audience ejected so
they can call it a night early, collect their fat check and go home.
9.  If any other bad behavior hasn't been covered in these rules, a good way
to know you've done something that you shouldn't have is if someone gives you
a dirty look (especially if that person is older than you-they know better).
If this happens just excuse youself and leave immediately.
10.  And most importantly....HAVE A GOOD TIME!!!!

Sincerely,

Steve

"I got this pain in my heart, that's all"