Issue #686 - December 8, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest    Monday, December 8 1997    Volume 01 : Number 686

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I
will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

SCHOOL VACATIONS
   If you will be away from your e-mail account during school break, you
might wish to unsubscribe until you return to prevent your inbox from
filling up.
   If you use a vacation responder, please make sure it is set
to use the "From:" address in the message header rather than the
"Reply-to:" address. This will keep your vacation messages from appearing
in the Armchair.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    The band is Bus Stop!!
    ben in my life
    how many of me would it take to screw up your life?
    we are all young at heart
    Japanese Brick E.p.
    Steve (the Rules Guy) is THE MAN
    clarifying a quote
    2 Things...
    maybe I'm wrong
    Everything

Date: Sun, 07 Dec 1997 02:57:41 -0500
From: Richard Challen <rchallen@clemson.campus.mci.net>
Subject: The band is Bus Stop!!

This is in response to ALTMAN OUT and his post:

I have a question for BFF fans. Does anyone know Ben's brother name? And
if so- what band is he in? I heard a rumor he has a band and want to see
if music REALLY runs in the family.

  Ben's brother is Chuck Folds, and his band is (or was) Bus Stop. The
band consisted of Chuck on bass, Eddie Walker (yes.. the same one) on
drums, Britt "Snuzz" Uzzell on lead guitar and some vocals, and Evan
Olson on rhythm guitar and lead vocals. I believe Ben played with them
before moving to Nashville etc. etc., but my biographical info may be
off so don't quote me.
  Anyway, Bus Stop released 4 CDs during their criminally
underappreciated career. NO PARKING, from 1992, was recorded for little
$ and soon went out-of-print. A LITTLE FASTER and MIRACLE TIME came out
in '93 and '94, respectively, and are still available thru Ripe & Ready
Distribution... You can probably find them on the East Coast at your
cooler (read: non-chain) record stores. The last one, BUS STOP, came out
on their own label, I Want My Daddy's Records, and is now out-of-print.
Of the 4, that one comes closest to BF5's blend of giddy pop and
heartbreaking balladry, IMHO. Ben also plays piano on one song.
  Officially, Bus Stop is still together as a band. However, their web
site has been shut down, and the quartet only plays private parties
now... and only cover songs when they do. (The words 'damn shame' come
to mind.) Meanwhile, both Evan Olson and Snuzz have released solo CDs:
Evan completely on his own, and Snuzz with the Bus Stop rhythm section
of Chuck and Eddie.
  In other words, Bus Stop is no longer... another victim of a
short-sighted and often stupid record industry. A kick-ass live unit
with a crowd-pleasing show was told there was "no audience for their
sound"... a group with two equally good singer-songwriters was informed
that "it's too hard to market a band with different frontmen." I'm not
sure why Ben didn't use his burgeoning popularity to help out his bro's
band back in '95 (I mean, Bus Stop didn't even OPEN shows in the
Southeast for BF5...), but it's not my place to speculate. All I know is
that Bus Stop were four of the nicest and most talented guys I've run
across in the entire Southern music scene, and they deserved better.
  Anyway, sorry to occupy so much space on the list for this post. I
guess I felt people needed to know. If anyone has trouble finding LITTLE
FASTER, MIRACLE TIME, or the solo CDs (EVAN OLSON and SNUZZ), let me
know and I can help. I'll also make tapes of any or all of those CDs
(plus the out-of-print BUS STOP) for anyone willing to cover the cost of
S&H. Just consider it my tiny attempt to keep one more good band around
a little while longer.

Thanks,
rICH

Visit The RICH Homepage and check out the brand-new CD,
LIFE/DEATH... 15 songs of romance and retribution...
Available independently from Desperate Man Records.
         http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Stage/9035

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Dec 1997 03:12:37 -0500
From: Richard Challen <rchallen@clemson.campus.mci.net>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #683

Re:
BEN FOLDS FIVE RULES & REGULATIONS FOR LIVE SHOWS

That's some funny shit.
Or, for you minors:
That's some funny s***.  :)

- --rICH

"Damn light street go! (paraphrased)" --Snuzz Uzzell

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Dec 1997 03:18:37 -0500
From: Richard Challen <rchallen@clemson.campus.mci.net>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #684

I just watch pulp fiction again last night, and I picked up on something
that I hadn't heard before.  When Mia (Uma Thurman) is snorting up in
the bathroom of the dinner, she reacts by saying, "Unn...goddamn!
Goddamn!" just like at the begining of "...Fanny Packs."  Now, the
chicken/egg question.  Which came first?

- --john

Since "Fanny" was released in 1996, two years after "Pulp Fiction," I'm
gonna go out on a limb and say that it's Darren mocking Uma, and not the
other way around. Unless Quentin Tarantino, being a huge BF5 fan,
tracked down a rare boot of "Fanny" back in '94 and then inserted that
line in his movie to make it APPEAR as if the Five was stealing from
HIM. (Shades of "Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy," huh?)

Sarcastically,
rICH the multiple poster

"Amplify... Peter Criss!" --Snuzz Uzzell

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Dec 1997 03:39:48 -0500 (EST)
From: Furious Cow <sfrumkin@wam.umd.edu>
Subject: ben in my life

i would hove to say that one of the bigeest bff songs that echoes my life
is Sports & Wine.  I go to the University of Maryland and it seems tat 75%
of the campus are frat boys and i'm left out.

just my 2 cents
	seth

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
       	I can get a job. I can pay the phone bill. I can cut the lawn, cut
	my hair, cut out my cholesterol. I can work overtime. I can work in a
	mine. I could do it all for you, BUT I DON'T WANT TO.
						-Enid (BNL)

	Move your butt from that cooler, his honor wants a pudding.
						-King of the Hill

	Now I'm big and important, one angry dwarf and 200 solwmn faces
	are you.  If you really want to see me, check the papers and
	the TV.  Look who's telling who what to do. Kiss my Ass
	Goodbye
				   -1 angry dwarf and 200 solemn faces(BF5)

		Seth Frumkin	                  sfrumkin@wam.umd.edu

		http://www.geocities.com/sunsetstrip/palladium/2149
- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Dec 1997 04:53:41 PST
From: "Courtney Knopf" <vegasbaby@hotmail.com>
Subject: how many of me would it take to screw up your life?

>     And to all of you who are dismayed that BFF are making it >bigger,
WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?  What is with this inane >aesthetic
that says that, if a band makes it, they're no longer >legit?

The argument that nmay of us have been making is NOT about legitimacy. I
find it hard to imagine a time when they will ever be called sell-outs,
because what I know of them is that they're in it for the music.
The reason we all have a bee in our collective bonnet about the
poplularity of "Brick" is because we all feel like our best kept secret
has been made public. And in case you haven't noticed, the public is
stupid. We're worried about bastardization. Not success.
BFF being a household name is not a bad thing, it's just that I don't
want them to have one "hit single" that gets played to death on the
radio that everyone (AKA: People who weren't already fans) gets sick of
and dismisses because they've heard it a million times.

Maybe it's because I've had a few vodka tonics, but it makes sense to
me.

~Courtney
The Sultraness of Swing

P.S. About all this 18+ show bullshit...let the kids have their fun. We
were all young once. If they want to bounce around and dance, it's their
right as concert goers. Maybe you are getting old, but don't write off
the mini van crowd as immature little shits. And if somebody says they
want to f*ck the life out of Ben...so be it. There are worse people to
have as objects of desire. The kids are all right.

Date: Sun, 7 Dec 1997 10:25:07 EST
From: Alanica <Alanica@aol.com>
Subject: we are all young at heart

This age problem/rudness problem, there is no way to fix it. People are plain
assholes, and have absolutely no respect for their fellow human beings.
Indstead of going back in forth blaming everyone else, why doesn't everyone
look to their selfs? I realize that not everyone is rude and inconsiderate,
but I'm talking about people in general. Maybe it's society, but the only
thing I can worry about is myself. Yeah, I can stop reading the Armchair, and
yeah I can stop going to shows, but somehow I think my admiration and love (
for the music!) will shine through.

Date: Sun, 7 Dec 1997 11:22:11 EST
From: MeandMrRay <MeandMrRay@aol.com>
Subject: Japanese Brick E.p.

Hey Folks,
          Just a little note on a couple things. First off...While I was
shoping for Xmas gifts for others yesterday, I came across a Japanese E.p. for
Brick. Call me dumb...But I pulled the 18 bucks out of my pocket...and handed
it right over to the man. I think its worth it. Its 5 songs: Brick, Smoke w/in
studio strings added, Kate (also with strings), Fair (again...with strings),
and Mitchell Lane. The studio cuts with the strings sound really super, add a
great deal of depth to the recordings. Secondly..To Scoota97@aol.com its great
that you know someone that is a powerful member of the music buisness to give
you a copy of NBP (Is it that guy from UPB Inc. ?). Its also great that your
not trying to offer it for personal gain over the armchair...like one other
person on our beloved armchair (true, its been much less loved latley). I
think its wrong to offer the record for mass trading...after all its not even
meant to be in our hands till January 13. I could understand you maybe taping
it for a couple friends....but to offer it to the whole list....Well I think
thats wrong. but hey, I'm sure she will get lots of bootlegs in trade, and be
laughing it up at the bands expense...I can understand when people tape the
import singles for others, becuase they are hard to find..I do it all the
time. But when some one asks me to tape one of the records for them, I tell
them to go out and buy the cd. Perhaps I'm overeacting...and I'm certainly
bantering on and on. but I know if I had my music copied for the masses,
before it was intended to be heard, and without any compinsation....I would be
upset. Sorry again to go on and on....I hope you all have a good day.

greg.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Dec 1997 12:35:44 EST
From: BlueJellow <BlueJellow@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #677

<< Not all of the teenage girl fans of
 BF5 hear them on the radio or see them on MTV and then have erotic dreams
 about Ben, Robert or Darren! Personally, I found out about them the first
 time I heard Underground, which was when it first came out. >>

I would just like to say that I owned all the BFF music I could get and knew
every song by heart BEFORE I even knew what any one of them looked like.  But
still, I wouldn't mind "fucking the life out of him"

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Dec 1997 13:16:02 EST
From: BlueJellow <BlueJellow@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #681

        I am OVERWHELMED at the negativity on the Armchair.  Each post has
been on how much everything sucks!!!!  I encourage everyone to remember why
they fell in love with the band, and how much you want them to succeed.  Wish
them all the best.  If I was a band member, I would want my fans to support
me, not call in and try to get me off the air so they could have me to
themselves.  I love BFF.  I have never felt this way about a band before.  I
want them to go beyond that nasty Chumba shit that they play.  BTW. It makes
me sick that Chumby "Gumby" is more popular than BFF.  I hope that people who
listen to the top 40 will get a taste of REAL music.  "life's a bitch and then
you die?!!" That's on a coffee mug, but it really does't mean that much!
Please, Love you BFF and try to support them.  They would want you to.

<<  just because someone's not
 holding a beer in their hand doesn't mean they suck.

I never felt that that would be cool. I'm a teenager. WHOA!  I don't have to
prove to you that I am worthy of BFF. I AM!! I know it!

<<<8.  hearing one of your favorite songs go stale from excessive airplay>>>>

That has never happened to me.  I just like every song so much

YOU USED TO BE LIKE THE TEENAGERS. YOU WERE HOOKED ON THE FIRST BEN SONG YOU
HEARD!! MINE WAS SMOKE!~!!!!!

ahhh!!! Peace love and happiness goddamnit!!!!!
Lucy

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Dec 1997 13:27:00 -0500 (EST)
From: Patrick J McDonough <mcdonpj@wfu.edu>
Subject: Steve (the Rules Guy) is THE MAN

If any of you did not read the RULES in digest #683, please go read it and
drop the age-based concert-going thread.  Please...

We can be happy underground (can't we?)

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
\\  Patrick J. McDonough	Email: mcdonpj@wfu.edu	  \\
 \\ WFU Admissions Counselor 	Phone: (910)758-4929	   \\
  \\Wake Forest University '97	                            \\
   \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Dec 1997 09:54:27 -0500
From: jaedonely@juno.com (A A DONELY)
Subject: clarifying a quote

"Nothing compared to how our people matter"
				-Chumbawumba :-)
Hey, technically, that's taken from the movie, "Brassed Off" starring
Pete Postlewhate(cant spell!) and, Ewan McGregor;)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Dec 1997 13:47:31 -0500 (EST)
From: Eric Patton <shirak@umich.edu>
Subject: 2 Things...

	1> My BFF song would have to be Philosophy. It's just me.
(Nevermind that whole fetish for construction workers..... ;> )

	2> Oh where, oh where has my little Sandi gone, oh where, oh where
can she be? Just checking to see what the latest adventures/rants/stories
are from our very own Sandi Shortcake. Miss ya hon. Alright, well, I gotta
jet. Laters all! JOYG...... oh yeah, I cut that out. Silly me. ;)

ERIC
		"How fortunate I am to battle the witless."
					-Sang Chi, Master of Kung Fu

Date: Sun, 07 Dec 1997 13:49:05 EST
From: "Carleton Hsing" <notelrac@hotmail.com>
Subject: maybe I'm wrong

     Okay, I must comment on this teenybopper thing before it gets out
of hand, but I'm not going to say much, I know you people have actual
lives besides writing to mailing lists.
     First, what exactly constitutes a "teenybopper"?  Is it mere age?
Or level of maturity?  To judge people merely on their age is being
rather shallow, I think, not everyone from an age group will have the
same level of maturity, you people should know that.  I am sixteen but
extremely mature...most people wouldn't even think I'm sixteen.  Then
there are certainly sixteen year olds who act like total idiots and do
stupid things.  I don't think it's fair to judge a whole group on the
actions of one person of the group.  Age is just a number anyway, it's
who you are that counts.
     And besides, who cares what other people do at the shows?  What
other people do should not affect you having a good time, you can easily
ignore them.
     I think some people have this elitist view of being a fan, not only
for BFF but other bands also...they don't want a band to be "too big"
and such.  If BFF becomes big, then so be it.  If they don't, then
that's fine too.  People just need to stop worrying too much.

This message has been mindlessly delivered by Carleton Hsing
a.k.a. enlitened on WBS and IRC
ICQ#1978769
notelrac@hotmail.com  or  notelrac@erols.com
http://www.tapetrading.com/lists/n/o/notelrac@hotmail.com.html
"Everybody needs a bosom for a pillow, everybody needs a bosom."
                                         -Cornershop

Date: Sun, 07 Dec 1997 22:06:19 +0000
From: Leung <paul.leung@virgin.net>
Subject: Everything

HI again there, I'm getting real excited about the upcoming show-just
think, Ben folds five are probably in England at the moment! Cool.
I hope I see everyone at the Sheperd's Bush!
Speaking of which, we Londoners are a little more sensible-we have
different floors from which you can watch the show-the pit being the
most interactive area, and the 3rd floor being for the guys that missed
the tickets. (btw Ben folds five first played a 4 storey building at the
sheperd's bush-I was there). Thus any annoying things can mostly be
avoided.
One thing that I would actually like to disagree with though, that is
the thing about young people not being able to understand music. I feel,
that while studying music is not necessarily a qualification to be
marveled at, a lot of young people have due to increased diversity in
education, whereas quite frankly old fogeys don't have a clue. Tralala

One cool thing, I was writing a letter in which there was so much space
but so little to say, and at that exact point I was writing the exact
opposite i.e. there's so much to say but so little time, when guess
which line came on the cd player?
Thanks for missing the war, dude.

Seeyaround (i'll be wearing a Bulls t-shirt)
Anthony