Issue #700 - December 11, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest  Thursday, December 11 1997  Volume 01 : Number 700

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I
will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

ARMCHAIR FAQ
   To help you be a better citizen of the Armchair, Mark Piper has
compiled a list of Frequently-Asked Questions just for subscribers to the
Magical Armchair.  Please check it out at
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/5430/listguide.html
</a>. There is also a link at the Magical Archive homepage,
http://oeonline.com/bff/list/

SCHOOL VACATIONS
   If you will be away from your e-mail account during school break, you
might wish to unsubscribe until you return to prevent your inbox from
filling up.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Ben/Kate
    /\/\arc, the good one
    ConnecteD CD information
    Naked Baby Photos
    Naked Baby Photos promos
    Anybody wanna jam?
    Ben on Kathie Lee?

Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 12:52:33 -0500
From: Carrie Shanafelt <cds9@po.cwru.edu>
Subject: Ben/Kate

>I hate to be a gossiper, but I'm curious:  Why was the issue of Ben and
Kate's
>divorce barely touched upon in this list?

That's just it.  I mean, yeah, it's one thing to be aware of it, but hardly
something to defile in its seriousness between posts about who you'd take
to prom, or whether Dick Holster is a good track.  Besides, it's one thing
to, say, know their ages or where they're from.  Details of a divorce
aren't anything I'm clambering for.  I just hope they're gonna be OK.
What's the line to draw then?  I'd just ask, "Would I send a greeting card?"

Carrie

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 13:01:04 -0500
From: Carrie Shanafelt <cds9@po.cwru.edu>
Subject: /\/\arc, the good one

Thanks, /\/\arc:  (that's fun to type -- try it, everyone!!)
>How did you first learn about BFF?

Was fascinated with Underground on the radio a few times, told my brother
to get it for my 16th birthday.  He bought it for himself.  I forget what
he got me.  Poop on him.  So I got my own copy a few weeks later,
completely enamored as I was with his.  Durn brothers.

Carrie

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 10:57:33 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Ruffner <micropop@yahoo.com>
Subject: ConnecteD CD information

Before any of our friends downunder run out and try to get a US
version of WAEA, I just wanted to let you know that the multimedia
information isn't on the US version either.  I checked mine last night
and it only has audio tracks as well.  WAEA isn't actually a CDEXTRA
title.  It's what Sony Music is calling a ConnecteD title.  The
difference being instead of the multimedia stuff taking up space on
the CD when its   pressed.  It's actually is created as content and
then stored on the web.  It's then only accessible if you have the
ConnectedD title in your computers CD-ROM drive when you are connected
to the ConnecteD CD website.  This will enable Sony to create
multimedia information after the CD is released instead before hand.
It will also allow multimedia content to be produced for CDs that were
released before the CDEXTRA technology of Enhanced CD standards were
sent.  It would be great for instance to have The The's "Mind Bomb" CD
turned into a ConncecteD title.

So my guess as to why the Australian version of WAEA will not work at
the ConnecteD site, is that the Shockwave program that initially loads
the interactive software is looking for specific information on the CD
itself which is different between the US and Australian CDs.  Like a
release number that is stored on the header of the CD.  I think that
it would pretty simple for the programmers to create a Australian
version of WAEA ConnecteD CD site.  I would just pass along this
information through the feed back mechanism on the ConnecteD CD site.
http://www.cdextra.com/ConnecteD/

I'd also like to point out that the ConnecteD plug-in doesn't appear
to be working under Netscape version 4.0

Hope this helps

Chris

Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 14:35:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: Kim Habovick <KAHST27@vms.cis.pitt.edu>
Subject: Naked Baby Photos

Hey everyone!!!  I am a lucky girl to have a boyfriend that works at a record
store.  I know someone else has a copy of Naked Baby Photos and posted it but
if you missed that last one, I have a copy here.  I am willing to trade for
bootlegs or whatever you have.  I am specifically looking for a bootleg of
Cincinati 6/2/97 or good pictures of Darren or any pictures of the show in
Cleveland on Halloween(in case anyone got in with a camera).  Let me know!!!

Kim

"We've come to see you, Eddie Walker."

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 17:34:08 -0500
From: cambot@juno.com
Subject: Naked Baby Photos promos

Where are you guys getting these from? Being the rabid Folds-freak that I
am, I need to get one. Anyone got any leads? I will definately buy the
official release album as soon as it comes out, but I wanted an
ahead-of-time listening pleasure type thing. I also bought the Whatever &
Ever Amen promo album & it should arrive soon. Man, am  I pathetic. Of
course, I'm like this with They Might Be Giants, too. But then again, I
have all their recent promos & singles that I can get my dirty hands on.
Oh yeah, what are the official singles for both albums? What B-sides go
on which singles? Thanks for clearing that up.

Steve!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 18:02:01 EST
From: NJDRUMMER <NJDRUMMER@aol.com>
Subject: Anybody wanna jam?

I figured since the band is getting really popular now it'd be a good time to
see if there's anybody who plays piano or bass in the Phila/S. Jersey area (or
even a little farther out) that's looking to get together to jam on some BFF
music.  I play drums and have been dying to cover some of Ben's music.  Last
time i tried i found no takers.  Hopefully this time it'll be different.  Let
me know.

Steve

"I got this pain in my heart, that's all"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 16:11:07 PST
From: "Courtney Knopf" <vegasbaby@hotmail.com>
Subject: Ben on Kathie Lee?

I had this random dream last night.
Ben Folds FIve were on Regis and Kathie Lee. But It was like Regis and
Kathie Lee meets Wayne's World b/c they were in a basement w/ wood
paneling on the walls. And they played a song I don't know adn Kathie
Lee was fawning all over them. It was very disturbing.

And a month or so ago I had a dream that I was standing in the wings of
"Rent" with Ben, Darren and Robert. And I think they said something like
how they could have done it better. Very odd.

Off to take a final...ick.

~Courtney
The Sultraness of Swing