Issue #708 - December 14, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest   Sunday, December 14 1997   Volume 01 : Number 708

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I
will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

ARMCHAIR FAQ
   To help you be a better citizen of the Armchair, Mark Piper has
compiled a list of Frequently-Asked Questions just for subscribers to the
Magical Armchair.  Please check it out at
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/5430/listguide.html
</a>. There is also a link at the Magical Archive homepage,
http://oeonline.com/bff/list/

SCHOOL VACATIONS
   If you will be away from your e-mail account during school break, you
might wish to unsubscribe until you return to prevent your inbox from
filling up.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    one woman bf5 marketing machine
    Armchair Longevity
    ConnecteD and AOL?
    Finals!!!
    Someone tell me I'm being paranoid for nothing...
    any guesses???
    The Prom
    suscribe

Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 13:30:36 -0500 (EST)
From: Ginger Nance <gnance@email.unc.edu>
Subject: one woman bf5 marketing machine

Howdy!  So glad to see the Armchair is a fun place again, eith the
exception of our "best porn on the web" ads, but that isn't the point of
this post so let's move on, shall we?!

Last night my hall had a little congregate in the hallway, play music
really loudly and jump around, and eat junk food study break thing, so of
course my selections were the classic "Son of a Preacher Man" and
"Underground."  Well, some girl approached me and said that she bought
WEAEA last week b/c she like Brick, what was this song, etc.  So I
implored her to go buy the first album, and then told everyone else on my
hall to do the same.  Well, she told me she would, so go me!  This is what
we do folks--get the Brickers to listen to the other stuff, too, and it
all works out in the end.

Also--I was browsing in a local record store the other day, and say a big
sign that said buy WEAEA, and get some tape of b-sides.  Does anyone have
this/know what it is?  I was curious, and started thinking of who I could
give WEAEA to as a christmas present!

Finally, since the boys are going to be on SNL with The Man, Samuel
Jackson, wouldn't it be funny for them to do a PF parody since some folks
were pondering a possible Uma/BF5 connection?!  Or on that note, which
recurring SNL characters would you like to see them in a skit with (the
musical acts get into them occasionally!)?  My vote goes to the
cheerleaders.  I think Robert could just go crazy with pompoms.

Sorry this post is so long, but it's better than Statistics!!

Ginger :)

ps--thanks for the tapes, Jason K., they rock!

Ooooo  Ginger Nance               If anyone wants to keep in touch
(   )  ginger_nance@unc.edu        over the break, my address is:
 ) (   gnance@email.unc.edu               glnance@aol.com
 (o)   http://www.unc.edu/~gnance       HAPPY HOLIDAYS!! :)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 13:54:43 -0500
From: "idaho" <idaho@appstate.campus.mci.net>
Subject: Armchair Longevity

- ------=_NextPart_000_001A_01BD07CE.AA2BDA60

Can anyone recall when the first Armchair came out?  I'm sure Frank can. =
 I was just looking over some editions I've saved and noticed that some =
of them are over a year old and it made me wonder how long this thing =
has been going on.  I think I subscribed last October or November, but =
I'm not sure and I'm also not sure how long the Armchair was around =
before that.  I know Frank changed the method a couple of times so I'm =
not sure how reflective the edition numbers are.  In any case, it's nice =
to see the thing still around after so long.

Bryan

- ------=_NextPart_000_001A_01BD07CE.AA2BDA60

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Can anyone recall when the first =
Armchair came=20
out?  I'm sure Frank can.  I was just looking over some =
editions I've=20
saved and noticed that some of them are over a year old and it made me =
wonder=20
how long this thing has been going on.  I think I subscribed last =
October=20
or November, but I'm not sure and I'm also not sure how long the =
Armchair was=20
around before that.  I know Frank changed the method a couple of =
times so=20
I'm not sure how reflective the edition numbers are.  In any case, =
it's=20
nice to see the thing still around after so long.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Bryan</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 14:01:40 EST
From: JARAMINI <JARAMINI@aol.com>
Subject: ConnecteD and AOL?

I have AOL and downloaded the files needed for use of the ConnecteD BFF CD but
alas have no clue as how to get this whole thing to work with AOL, because AOL
is different than most things can anyone help me out here?
Thanks in advance,
John
jaramini@aol.com

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 15:39:41 EST
From: BlueJellow <BlueJellow@aol.com>
Subject: Finals!!!

Dear Armchairites,

           I was very happy about what (I think her name is Caroline, Chuck
Folds commented on it) was written on Ben and Kate.  I can't imagine what it
is like to lose someone you love that much, and it hurts to even try.  Ben
still has major touring to do as well as promotion.  I guess all we can do is
support him.  Plus he's got those two crazy guys backing him up.  I wish I
could get some booties (:), but I've never been to a concert and so therefore
I can't get any. How annoying.  A Charlie Brown album would be sooooo cool.  I
would stand in line for days to get it.

          If you are depressed at your credit card bill/final exams, e-mail me
for a funny list of what you can do during an exam you know you are going to
fail.  I'm seriously going to do some of them.  I'm so excited about SNL.  I
hope they don't play brick.  I want to see something besides OAD too.  SLNIT
would be fun to watch.  I stayed up to watch Bjork a couple of weeks ago. I
was disapointed.  Oh well.

           What SilentFlat wrote about the girl in the message boards was
soooo funny.  I just about fell out of my seat.  I needed that.  It also makes
me sad that there are people out there that are really like that.  Ouch.  BTW.
Where are there BFF message boards on AOL? I'm saying!!! I'll look today when
I'm supposed to be studying.

I love you all
Lucy Robinson

"It always used to be there, even when this all was grass, and I sang and
danced about a high rise,"

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 16:10:00 EST
From: GrnEgNham <GrnEgNham@aol.com>
Subject: Someone tell me I'm being paranoid for nothing...

AGH!

   Here's the dilemma:
       BFF is having their mini-tour in Feb.  At first, I was super-de-dooper-
diddly-do excited (as Flanders would say) but then I realized I have a
problem.  I'm going on a government trip to D.C. from Feb. 22-28 and have this
strange feeling that they will come to Cleveland during my absence.  I must
see them again.  I went to the Halloween show and wanted to talk to them
afterwards, especially to thank Darren for letting me interview him, but had
to leave b/c of friends' curfews.  I check Frank's page daily to see b/c I
must know if I will be missing it!  Well, so far the only tour date listed is
Feb. 5 in Portland, Oregon which kind of scared me.  Does that mean they're
starting the tour on the west coast and finishing up on the east?  I assumed
it would be the other way around. How many days does it normally take for them
to play from one coast to the next?  Does anyone have any inside info?  Please
share!

     Paranoially yours,
         Emily

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 16:12:19 -0500
From: aplauri@juno.com (Philip J. L.)
Subject: any guesses???

hey all-

anyone have any guesses as to what the five will play on SNL???  i think
they will play brick and dwarf (it would be so cool if they played sports
and wine and selfless cold and composed...).....  any other thoughts???

philip

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
: http://www,geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Lounge/4999/bff.html  - my bff
bootlist.  :
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"who's got the looks, who's got the brains. . . who's got everything???"
- -BEN FOLDS

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 17:26:50 -0500
From: Anybody <santonan@student.umass.edu>
Subject: The Prom

Well, I've finally decided to add my two cents about who I would bring to
the prom. I, like several others, have decided that if I could, I would
bring all three. Now..I rationalize it like this: I never went to either my
junior or senior proms, therefore I'd have to make up for them, hence two
dates. Now..how could you possible invite two of them and leave the third?
You can't. Besides..how many people would show up with three groovy dates?
We'd have a smashing time. And the first time I heard BFF was when they
first released "Underground." I heard it on the radio once and I guess you
can say the rest is history..I was immediately hooked and still am. While I
was downloading all the MA's I had to read today..I realized we were on like
number 706...that means I've read well over 600 of these things, that's
nuts!!! Finally, I would like to say bravo to Chuck Folds' last posting
about the whole Ben/Kate thing. Also...do they sell Bus Stop or Snuzz cd's
in chain record stores?

Sarah :)

Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 17:45:27 +0000
From: Hilarie Surrena <walflowr@Op.Net>