Issue #711 - December 16, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest   Tuesday, December 16 1997   Volume 01 : Number 711

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I
will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

ARMCHAIR FAQ
   To help you be a better citizen of the Armchair, Mark Piper has
compiled a list of Frequently-Asked Questions just for subscribers to the
Magical Armchair.  Please check it out at
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/5430/listguide.html
</a>. There is also a link at the Magical Archive homepage,
http://oeonline.com/bff/list/

SCHOOL VACATIONS
   If you will be away from your e-mail account during school break, you
might wish to unsubscribe until you return to prevent your inbox from
filling up.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    you decide...
    ahem
    Santa, Baby
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #709
    glasgow gig?
    Re: SNL tickets?
    Jet and Kate
    Fear of pop
    ICQ BFF LOUNGE
    Boxers or briefs?
    BFF European bootlegs
    SHEP BUSH EMPIRE
    UNSUBSCRIBE
    Anne appreciation?
    Mr. Sensitive Ponytail Man
    Song for SNL
    The Bold and the Ben.....
    .
    [none]
    the counting crows song

Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 05:42:17 -0500
From: Cassandra Hughes <cfh109@psu.edu>
Subject: you decide...

Hi everyone-- I just finished this book (cue--reading rainbow
theme-song) called She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb. Excelent book which
y'all should run out and buy, but that's not the point of this post...
In this book, the main character gets an abortion on, you guessed it,
the day after Christmas! Now, this book was published in 1992 and brick
(at least in album form) came out just this spring. So... Is Ben Folds a
Wally Lamb fan --or-- did Wally Lamb consult his personal <as seen on
tv> psychic to aid his writing this book --or-- is this just one of
those Dark Side of the Moon/Wizard of Oz things that just happen
randomly (???)

Speaking of that, if you could have BFF do a cd which could be played
over a movie like a music video, what would it be? I might have to vote
for Austin Powers--colorful and quirky yet profoundly meaningful (ok
maybe not 'profoundly meaningful') just like BFF...

Cassie

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 21:37:29 EST
From: LeathrIdol <LeathrIdol@aol.com>
Subject: ahem

<< Video Killed
 the Radio Song >>

due to my vast knowledge of great eightes new wave tunes, it's radio STAR, not
song.  it makes more sense that way, as MTV was just coming out at the time.
lots of bands have covered it, including the pop punk band weston, and the
similarities to the original are incredible.  but then again, ben could change
it to "song," as BFF (and most of the up and coming bands) sold a mojority of
their records through airplay, not MTV.  not that i think they'll play it.
but, alas, i don't think there will be any covers on SNL or any songs off the
first record.  they are promoting one piece of merchandise--- the newest
album--- and performing an oldie or a cover would not promote that record.
even REM, who had five or six albums out when they were promoting "out of
time" only performed songs from that record (as i remember).
just thought i'd share,
***Melissa***

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 21:00:36 -0600
From: quinnt@scc.net
Subject: Santa, Baby

*Bricks*

6 a.m.
Day after Christmas eve
I throw red clothes on in the dark
They're smelling old
Sleigh seat is freezing
The wife is snoring, I am...
Late.

Up the stairs to
Rudolph's apartment
He is balled up on the couch
The other reindeer
Went back to Charmin
You use their can, you find this out

As we fly
Sugar Ray's on for the gang
But I'm feeling more Pet Sounds
Than I ever have before

_chorus_
Grease the bricks and I'll drop in slowly
Awfully toasty, I'm getting no air
Grease 'em quick or I'll pass out slowly

We hit the roofs
At 7:30
In haste I crunch a manger scene
Just then the sleigh
Is struck by lightning
I guess I have crunched 17

Child, your list...
"Spice Girls latest an sum spliff"
Now this toasted compact disc
Is to you my only gift

(repeat chorus)

As minutes went by
It showed the sleigh was not fine
They told me "San', it's time to tow your fried heap"
'Cause it broke down
Then I broke down
Then I fell down
'Cause I'd expiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrred
With Triple-A last week

Driving back
Up to the North Pole
We're crammed into a Rent & Steer
And Blitzen's queer
And Comet's queer
And now I know it
                          *
(repeat chorus)                            *
_______________              *                       *
  *          *         *                *         *
Ben Folds got a big ol' hit record.  Alright BFF!       *
    *            *              *          *     *
Merry Christmas all!        *         *             *              *
Or, where appropriate, a more safely generic Happy Holidays!
      *        *       *      *             *          *
- -El L. Cool Yule             *      *                 *
 *        *        *      *            *          *        *
    *         *            *       *          *                   *
*     *    *      *     *            *                 *
            *                  *                 *

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 18:55:27 PST
From: "Kelly Jordan" <kajrules@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #709

Re: the 'Brick' video
Weeell, being the bf5 newbie that I am, my interest was piqued by this
new video. Anyone have any introspect as to the meaning? It's a very
haunting format, almost enchanting...
~kaj

Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 22:15:43 -0500
From: Rebecca.Cole@mail.trincoll.edu (Rebecca Cole)
Subject: glasgow gig?

Someone, anyone out there must have gone to the QM gig in Glasgow on
Friday. Right? Please post a review...after spending the first half of this
year at Glasgow University, I want to live vicariously through you.

Oh the weather outside is frightful,
Rebby

***
"Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the
part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of."
                                                      -TMBG

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 00:05:46 EST
From: HiGeary <HiGeary@aol.com>
Subject: Re: SNL tickets?

I was wondering if anyone out there knew how to get SNL tickets.  I live a
short train ride from NYC so if I could get them by showing up early that
morning or something, that might be the only way I can see BF5 live anytime
soon.  I went to their website and there was no info on tickets.  And I can't
call for info from work (long story) so...

for all you AUSSIE's I see out there on the list.  Next March my father is
using his extra flier miles to take me with him on his week long business trip
to Austalia.  I would really appreciate it if you guys could let me know the
cool things to do, not just tourist stuff.  Please email me privately
thanks!!!

Finally, major kudos to Carrie in digest 707 for quoting the BOGMEN.  They are
an excellent band and I would highly recommend checking them out for those who
haven't!!

Sorry for all the non-BF5 stuff.

Rachael

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 00:14:28 -0500
From: Craig <Craigc@gte.net>
Subject: Jet and Kate

I've thought of the Jet/Kate similarities.  the whole band (or a group
of people) Yelling the title word untoned (not a note) at the beginning
of a measure of music is where the similarities end.  But it is a
specific one.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 21:27:46 -0700
From: "Julie Hurst" <sledgie@mailexcite.com>
Subject: Fear of pop

Isn't it just ben??? Well I know it got recorded. But that's all.
Hey if the guys weren't musicians what type of jobs do you think they would have,
I can't thinkof anything really. I can imagine the sledge as a telephone operator.
Speaking of Sledge in McDonalds there is the happy meal and there's a SLEDGY, goes
well with my email SLEDGIE. Well I had to get it, it's very lame but nayways it's
funny. And today I went to soveriegn hill and this mining tour and the guy kept saying
underground so I asked him if he was a fan of ben folds fie and he just looked at
me, well I've had a good day. so im off. BYE

Julie 'the anti gavin spice'

P.S my most humorous helmet head vote goes to Anne Lyons!

http://www.mailexcite.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 01:43:02 -0500
From: "Derek Supranowicz" <dpsupr@maila.wm.edu>
Subject: ICQ BFF LOUNGE

The BFFLounge will be open tonight,  monday 10pm EST USA.  Anyone interested
in chatting,  trading, or whatever come by uni# 5719286 or ICQ user
&BFFLounge to chat with everyone.
C you then
Derek

- -----------------------------------------
Derek Supranowicz                  Email- dpsupr@maila.wm.edu
CSU #0474                               Email2- dsuprano@rocketmail.com
PO BOX 8793
Williamsburg, VA 23186-0474
(757)-221-4537

42 Hawthorne St.
Lenox MA, 01240
(413)-637-1023

Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 01:53:27 -0500
From: Richard Challen <rchallen@clemson.campus.mci.net>
Subject: Boxers or briefs?

I choose to keep it brief. Re:
1) The Ben Folds CD "S/T" just means "self-titled." For $29.99, it's
probably a Japanese import. Nothing special on that Japanese version
that I can recall... could someone check a discography? (Maybe there's a
"Julianne" in Japanese that I'm missing.)
2) The Counting Crows song w/"Ben Folds on my radio" is "Monkey." It's
by far the stupidest song on the album and the only reason NOT to pick
up the otherwise fantastic CD "Recovering The Satellites." In other
words: Buy the CD, listen to the line in "Monkey," and then always hit
SKIP during future playings.

- --rICH

p.s. off subject, but you ben harper fans can cry into your
weissenborn-flavored beers knowing that i just finished seeing ben play
45 minutes of solo acoustic nirvana at the 99x "acoustic christmas." so
nah nah.
p.s.s. also saw and met the devlins. great sensitive boy pop... like
"evaporated" with crinkly guitars instead of sad piano.

Visit The RICH Homepage and check out the brand-new CD,
LIFE/DEATH... 15 songs of romance and retribution...
Available independently from Desperate Man Records.
         http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Stage/9035

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 05:33:51 -0500
From: Steffen Donath <SDonath@compuserve.com>
Subject: BFF European bootlegs

Hello all you European BFF Fans!

I am very interested in good quality live recordings from BFFs recent 5
date tour in the UK.

If you have a bootleg please contact me privately to set up a trade. I have
got tons of BFF material to trade on my homepage

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/SDonath

Bye

Steffen

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 12:49:37 +0000
From: "B.D.WATTS" <tl6304@qmw.ac.uk>
Subject: SHEP BUSH EMPIRE

They were awesome, they blew the world away, why why why did the fat
lady have to sing. Plus I got a poster for the Kate Single to go with
my huge Whatever And Ever One.
Let he who casts the first stone cast it directly at Tony Blair,
TL6304@qmw.ac.uk

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 07:39:45 -0700 (MST)
From: SJ@ASU.EDU

UNSUBSCRIBE

					ALTMAN OUT

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 15:27:30 -0000
From: David.J.Holloway@student.shu.ac.uk
Subject: Anne appreciation?

Mornin'

>Anyway, as for my two cents on the matter, I'd
>have to vote for Anne too, simply because she's the greatest

What is this? The BFF and Anne Lyon fanzine?
Good lord! Anyway, to go against the grain I'd say not Annie 'cause she
smells and doesn't shave under her armpits for absolutely ages.
Just kidding.
I vote Annie too.

Dave

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 10:35:47 -0500 (EST)
From: Eric Patton <shirak@umich.edu>
Subject: Mr. Sensitive Ponytail Man

	Oh yeah, YM's dead on with that one. I mean, doesn't every guy on
this list only want someone who they can talk to and snuggle for a while?
Don't we all hate machismo, listen to Enya willingly, and love to go
shopping? Aren't we all saving ourselves for marriage? Yeah, we're all big
piles of mush on here, inspired by our leader and god-head, Ben Folds, who
once said, "Give me my money back, you bitch." ;) Laters!

ERIC
The Official Mr. Sensetive Bald Man
	"I must not fear. Fear is the mindkiller. Fear is the little death
that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to
pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the
inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."
				-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 10:49:08 -0500 (EST)
From: Patrick J McDonough <mcdonpj@wfu.edu>
Subject: Song for SNL

Well, I'm sure they'll play "Brick," after all, it makes sense.
But...aren't the Klezmatics based in NYC?  And isn't SNL "live from New
York?"  And how cool would it be if they got together and "kicked that
shit say?"
	Usually the band gets to play twice, so I'm sure they'll do Brick
first to get the people who will turn the show off as it gets less funny,
but if they don't strike up the full or partial version of "Steven," I
don't care what the band plays, because I will be partying in my living
room for them.  I hope they pick something that shows off how well they
can play though (Philosophy, Peyser, OAD, Last Polka, Walter,
DUMPED!!!-"Well, screw you too!"-I think they can say "bitch" on SNL,
Jackson Cannery, Sports And Wine?)
	As you can see, I will be happy with whatever they play.  Let's
forget bickering about them becoming better known, and just get behind the
boys.  If you find yourself feeling lost in a crowd of clueless fans (My
Dad called last night to say "Hey, I'm hip.  I dug a Ben Folds song on the
radio today!"-Brick, of course), just remember that those of us who've
been on the bandwagon for a while shouldn't need a monopoly on BFF to
enjoy the tunes.  They're still the best band on the planet.
	In the meantime, I'm going to encourage my Dad to pick up the WAEA
CD.  He'll put Brick on right away and let it play...right into track
4...BUWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

I know you make me sick,
Patrick from W-S

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 11:33:03 EST
From: Soapscribe <Soapscribe@aol.com>
Subject: The Bold and the Ben.....

From ABC Soapline Daily @ AOL, 12-15-97:

"On "One Life To Live",  John Ottavino will appear as Dr. Peyser, who
hypnotizes Addie..."

It appears someone on the writing staff at "One Life" is a Ben Folds
fan.....Or it's an astonishing coincidence.

Jane

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 12:41:01 EST
From: Del813 <Del813@aol.com>
Subject: .

auth 9cb4979c subscribe armchair Del813@aol.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 12:31:59 CST
From: muellermj02@uwwvax.uww.edu
Subject: [none]

Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 13:43:10 -0500
From: Britte_Raymond@nmh.northfield.ma.us (Britte Raymond)
Subject: the counting crows song

	The Counting Crows song in which Adam says, "I got Ben Folds on my radio
right now"  is Monkey off Recovering the Satellites.  The question also
asked was it any good.  Considering you're talking to the biggest Counting
Crows fan known to man, I'd say it's great.  Fantastic.  Wonderful.  But
yeah it's so fun to listen to that and hear him talk about BFF.
Britte

"Do you think I should take a class to lose my southern accent"
Ben Folds
"Majorie's wingspan's all feathers and coke cans and TV dinners and letters
she won't send."
Adam Duritz
Sent from Northfield Mount Hermon School via
      the First Class SMTP Gateway