Issue #720 - December 23, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest   Tuesday, December 23 1997   Volume 01 : Number 720

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I
will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

ARMCHAIR FAQ
   To help you be a better citizen of the Armchair, Mark Piper has
compiled a list of Frequently-Asked Questions just for subscribers to the
Magical Armchair.  Please check it out at
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/5430/listguide.html  There is also a
link at the Magical Archive homepage, http://oeonline.com/bff/list/

SCHOOL VACATIONS
   If you will be away from your e-mail account during school break, you
might wish to unsubscribe until you return to prevent your inbox from
filling up.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Okay, I wasn't paying attention...
    bff in nyc
    Id like to see BFF in a rumble
    bootlegs
    Girly?!?!?!?
    station won't play bff
    Hello...?
    mtv live witness account
    Tourdates; archive updated
    auth 1f7789e7 subscribe armchair user996364@aol.com
    BFF on MTV Live, My Experience in Studio
    subscribing
    billboard chart positions
    PLEASE TRADE WITH ME!!
    PLEASE TRADE WITH ME!!
    Letterman

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 21:11:53 -0500 (EST)
From: kieran@interport.net
Subject: Okay, I wasn't paying attention...

...I fully admit it. But this BFF on SNL thing, is it happening next
month, or did it already occur?

Thanx...

- --Aaron

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 21:22:12 EST
From: Jessica237 <Jessica237@aol.com>
Subject: bff in nyc

ooh, i saw the new tour dates and i was super psyched up to see that bff will
be in nyc on february 20th. and it's a friday night, to boot, which is awesome
because i can stay out as late as i want, without having to worry about school
the next day. super cool! but i can definitely see bff playing at an 18 and
over venue, just because the show is on a perfect date. something has to go
wrong and i won't be 18 by february...aaahhh! i will die! does anyone know
when they are announcing the venue? --jess

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 20:04:21 -0500
From: jaedonely@juno.com (A A DONELY)
Subject: Id like to see BFF in a rumble

with some fun ska/swing/rockabilly bands like Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Royal
Crown Revue, and The Amazing Royal Crowns.How do you guys dance to Ben
Folds Five? When Im at a concert, I tend to uncontrollably bounce up and
down and grin stupidly.  During songs like OADA2SF and Fair its all out
pogoing.
Since its Christmas and Im feeling trashy, what BFF songs get you in the
mood? Do any? do you think they should do a base heavy FUNK song? I want
to know! (but not too many details)
If someone can play Missing The War on piano, could they email me?
I LOVE BEN FOLDS FIVE. LISTENING TO THEIR MUSIC MAKES ME FEEL WARM AND
FUZZY. So what if the Squirrel Nut Zippers kicked their ass?
~Elisabeth

"Oh Holy Night-A Time when we get prseents!" the south park cartman Oh
Holy Night

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 21:45:07 EST
From: luckyday6@juno.com (Jason A Masi)
Subject: bootlegs

I have about 10 bootlegs/rare songs etc. About 5 of these bootlegs are
really good and I would love to get some more bootlegs or anything that
deals with Ben Folds Five so here are the bootlegs

B-Sides and Stuff- Lots of b-sides tom and mary, emaline, satan is my
master, champagne supernova, theme from dr. pyser, hava nagila, mitchell
lane, all shook up, bad idea, for all the pretty people, for those of
y'all who where fannie packs and lots of songs live (Excellent tape)

Music@BenFoldsFive.Live- This is a collection of songs from live concerts
that consist of Philosophy, song for the dumped, uncle walter, mitchell
lane, dr. pyser, bowccl (?) and lots of songs from their other albums
sung from live concerts (Good tape)

Ben Folds Five live at the Roxy in Boston- This is the best bootleg you
will probably ever hear. It was performed on November 4, 1997 and is
really the best you want, It consists of the usual Battle, Missing the
War, Philosophy, She doesn't use jelly, last night in town, kate, brick,
smoke, julianne, fair and many others (Best tape by far)

Ben folds Five live at Irving Plaza in New York City- This is another
good bootleg that you would love to add to your collection it was April
28, 1997 and has lots of good stuff on it such as last polka, emaline,
brick, ultimate sacrifice, cannery, dr. pyser, best imitation of myself,
she doesn't use jelly and lots more (Great tape)

Ben folds Five live at Imperial hall in Osaka, Japan - This tape has all
the usual songs from their concerts and was taped May 10, 1997. The good
stuff on this tape is kate, philosophy, she doesn't use jelly, ultimate
sacrifice, battle, brick, last night and many other great hits. (Good
selection)

Ben Folds Five live in Hoboken, NJ - this is from their old shows taped
back in January 18, 1998. This has most of their first album songs such
as cannery, last polka, uncle walter, last night, julianne, video, sports
and wine and underground and many other good hits with 3 demos on it tom
and mary, emaline, and bad idea. (Good -Fair choice)

Ben Folds Five live at Phoenix, AZ and Pontiac, MI - This concert is 45
minutes each and is put on one tape. The Pontiac show was tapes January
26, 1996 and the Phoenix show was taped July 18, 1997 as part of the
HORDE festival. songs are mostly from the first album. (Good tape)

Ben Folds Five live at the El Rey in Los Angeles - This is a very recent
show taped on November 30, 1997 and has lots of good stuff on it
including parts of an interview with Ben Folds and consists of dr. pyser,
battle, last polka, underground, song for the dumped, fair, brick,
emaline, kate and many other hits. (Good-Fair show)

Ben folds Five live at Lupos Heartbreak Hotel in Providence, RI- This
show is my most recent show I have December 3, 1997. I went to this
concert it was excellent ,but the person I got the tape from didn't tape
it to well. The quality is fair and is the worst one I have by far by
judging by quality. It consists of battle, dr. pyser, fair, brick, kate,
dumped, and underground with many others. (Fair choice)

Ben Folds five live X at APC Studios in Atlanta, GA - This show was taped
October 16, 1997 and the other concert on the tape was taped on October
26, 1997. This tape is good stuff and some of the songs are dr. pyser,
best imitation of myself, tom and mary, brick, dumped, underground and
many others. (Good choice)

There you have it that is all my bootlegs with a summary about each show.
Pleas e-mail me and tell me what you want and what you have Thanks a lot

Thanks
Jason

e-mail me ASAP

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 22:04:42 -0500 (EST)
From: Eric Patton <shirak@umich.edu>
Subject: Girly?!?!?!?

	Okay, yet again, I have to throw on the red boots and cape and
defend the masculine population of the Armchair. Just because the guys on
here can appreciate MUSIC, doesn't mean we're girly, or gay. I know that
Susan Parker wasn't trying to say that, but this is just something that
gets on my nerves. You see, I'm a young black guy with a sense of style,
I'm a Theatre Major who's also a Tenor 2 in Glee Club. I don't watch
Baywatch, I don't drink beer, and I listen to Ben Folds Five. And you know
what? I'm HETEROSEXUAL!!! I have a very wonderful and beautiful
girlfriend (who happens to be standing over my shoulder, but that's just a
coinkie-dink. ;> ) Of course, I don't have anything against homosexuals,
but still, I've just been asked so many times it's just annoying. Anyway,
let me get down of the soap-box. Laters!

ERIC
Wimp, Wuss, and Gilry Man of the Armchair ;)
	"I must not fear. Fear is the mindkiller. Fear is the little death
that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to
pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the
inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."
				-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 23:47:16 -0500
From: Carrier <carrvolk@shentel.net>

Unsubscribe

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 23:45:01 -0500
From: Craig <Craigc@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #719

Nice, Vito.  I'm guessing you're about 12.
CC

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 23:24:40 -0600
From: "Matthew F. Dobecka" <mdobecka@dhc.net>
Subject: station won't play bff

dallas radio station Mix 102.9 began to play "Brick" last week and
during the middle of it the dick jockey broke in and said that they
would not play that crap on the radio and then put on jewell or
something( I was so pissed off I tuned out the radio).  What can we do
to ensure their playtime and maybe help jewell write a new song to play
on the radio?

bfffanatic,
matt

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 01:40:38 EST
From: Brad654 <Brad654@aol.com>
Subject: Hello...?

> and why did snl choose LAST night to pre-opt their show setup for that
spliced
>  holiday rerun crap?

They do that every year.  We all know that the boys are on 10 Jan, and not 20
Dec.

Brad

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 23:07:15 -0800 (PST)
From: stephanie j nahas <snahas@nunki.usc.edu>
Subject: mtv live witness account

in case any of you were wondering what it was like to be one of the
actual 15 people obsessive enough about their e-mail to write to bffmail
in time to get into mtv live...  well, it was pretty cool, as you'd
expect.  duh..

if you're bumming because you didn't get to hear "bad idea" live, don't
fret, cuz neither did we.  they cut out before they got to singing.  them
possums.

we did, however, get a small chance to chat with the gang after the show,
which was a plus.  probably we could have hung with them after the
interview, but i think most of us were afraid to move from our designated
audience positions to the pool table area ten feet away.  anyway.  but
they all had to run off (they were tired and had people to see, as the
saying goes), so not much chatting was to be had.  my point, and i do have
one, is that they were the same cordial kids we've all come to know and
love.  except robert because he ran away fastest of all.  :)

they're looking forward to a much deserved break to be spent back home.
and they live doing live tv shows even though it makes them nervous.

that's all, cheerio.

- --steph

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 10:55:12 -0500 (EST)
From: Frank Maynard <maynard@mail.oeonline.com>
Subject: Tourdates; archive updated

For your holiday browsing pleasure, I've updated the Magical Archive
(http://oeonline.com/bff/list/) to include Armchairs up to and including
the December 22 issue.

Also, in case you didn't see the Epic/550 list mailing, or in the
unlikely case someone else hasn't posted them legibly, here is the
tentative list of February dates:

     Feb. 4: Portland, OR - La Luna
     Feb. 5: Seattle, WA - DV8
     Feb. 7: San Francisco, CA - Warfield
     Feb. 8: Los Angeles, CA - Palace
     Feb. 9: Phoenix, AZ - Club Rio
     Feb. 11: Dallas, TX - Venue TBA
     Feb. 12: Houston, TX - Venue TBA
     Feb. 14: St. Louis, MO - American Theatre
     Feb. 15: Chicago, IL - Riviera Theatre
     Feb. 16: Pontiac, MI - Clutch Cargo's
     Feb. 18: Toronto, Ont. - Venue TBA
     Feb. 20: New York, NY - Venue TBA
     Feb. 21: Philadelphia, PA - Venue TBA
     Feb. 22: Washington, DC - Venue TBA
     Feb. 23: Norfolk, VA - Venue TBA

Updates, as I get them, will be posted at
http://oeonline.com/bff/tourdates.html

 -fjm
         Mom said by Christmas I would have a badass mother G.I. Joe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 12:37:31 EST
From: User996364 <User996364@aol.com>
Subject: auth 1f7789e7 subscribe armchair user996364@aol.com

Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 20:50:05 -0800 (PST)
From: "dflynch.esq" <dflynch.esq@internetMCI.com>
Subject: BFF on MTV Live, My Experience in Studio

 Back from the MTV Live show.  Had to come back to the computer
 for some plans for tonight.
 Anyway, this was like most stuff on MTV, 50 minutes of rubbish,
 with 10 minutes of glorious music.
 First, let me say that the "host" of this show is possibly the
 worst interviewer I've ever seen/heard.  He stumbles over words,
 uses "uh" a lot, and has no grasp of how to ask an intelligent
 question.  His interview of BFF, and the recorded piece of an
 interview with 2 members of Radiohead were embarassing.
 Anyway, they stuck us in the kitchen attached to the set for
 about 20 minutes, and then escorted us into the studio, and
 sat us within arms length of the band.  Very cool, and somewhat
 surreal.  Then they made us sit on the floor for 20 minutes
 more.
 The studio looks right out over Times Square with picture
 windows.  There are 20 foot ads for Nike with Ken Griffey,
 Tiger Woods, etc, staring in at you, and 100's of pedestrians
 like little rats scurrying through the streets.
 Well, at 6 p.m. they bring in Ben, Robert and Darren, and
 they futz around for a minute or two on some jazzy wank
 letting the sound people check levels.  Then after commercial,
 they come in to the studio, but before we can hear BFF,
 MTV cuts to the vacuous "news" person, who tells us about
 Chris Farley, and then they cut to Matt Pinhead at an empty
 Hammerstein Ballroom, where Radiohead will perform live on
 MTV at 10 p.m.  Pinhead uses "Intense" about 15 times to
 describe the Radiohead *soundcheck* and then we get BFF.
 One Angry Dwarf rocks, and its really quite a treat
 to see it from about 7 feet away.  Only problem is that
 Ben's vocal levels in the studio are too low.
 After One Angry Dwarf, they tell us that BFF will perform
 again in 20 minutes.
 Fortunately, we are permitted to wander about the studio.
 I saunter over and check out Ben's piano (there's a big
 chunk of wood missing right above the keys on the left
 side).  We sit through more MTV rubbish on the monitors,
 including endless promotions of the Radiohead gig, and
 more "intense" stuff from Matt Pinhead.
 Finally, after an eternity, BFF return and wank around
 a bit on some jazzy stuff, setting the levels.
 Then, what really made this all very worthwhile, the
 BFF performance of Brick.  Sounded great, and just gave
 me chills to be so close and intimate during one of
 my favorite songs.
 After Brick, the show ended, and we were permitted to
 stay in the studio for another 17 seconds before they
 kicked us out.  Ben talked for a bit with a few people
 he knew, and I kinda listened in a bit, but then left,
 not wanting to be a hanger-on.

 Overall, a pretty interesting experience.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 11:12:31 PST
From: "anastasya mosa" <philosophy_no32@hotmail.com>
Subject: subscribing

subscribe        philosophy_no32@hotmail.com

Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 17:05:43 EST
From: JCannery <JCannery@aol.com>
Subject: billboard chart positions

   I was at borders a few days ago, and there was a billboard magazine in the
magazine section...so i was looking in it and saw whatever and ever amen at
#194.  Brick was also #21 on MTV's most played video list.  Then I went
upstairs to their music section and there was a big ben folds five display
with posters and all!  So I asked the lady if I could have a poster, and she
asked her manager, and he said they had extra but he wouldn't give any away
(he didn't know i was listening to him).  Jerk.  Oh well.  I have an identical
one, but I could always use another!

    And for all the people who are complaining about tour dates:  please stop.
Ben Folds Five can't come to every town in the US.  When's the last time they
came to Maine?  Hawaii?  Canada?  They're not coming to my town either, but
instead of complaining I'm spending my time figuring out how to get to New
York City or Philadelphia.  So deal with it.

lindsay
  http://members.aol.com/jcannery/bff.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 15:34:58 -0700 (MST)
From: robert g del campo <rdelcamp@unm.edu>
Subject: PLEASE TRADE WITH ME!!

Please trade me.  I fell asleep right before BF5 came on Letterman, Ineed
a tape of this and the MTV live performance.  I have to offer as trade:
Video:  Jenny McCarthy performance, Conan O'Brien performance, and
Sessions at West 54th show

Audio: 2 shows from 1st album tour, 2 shows from new tour (e-mail for more
information

Please help me out.
				-Rob DelCampo
				rdelcamp@unm.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 16:06:35 -0800
From: Alex Poston <aposton@nextwireless.com>
Subject: Letterman

Speaking of the Letterman show... I agree with Sarah about their not
quite being themselves. I know they weren't as tight as they were when I
saw them at the Fillmore in San Francisco. But it was nice to see them
anyway. And for people who've never seen them live, they probably
wouldn't even know the difference.

And on another note... when they cut to commercial, the first one was
for Hanson. I thought that was funny, after reading all the asides here.

Al-x

"I feel like a quote out of context..." Ben