Issue #748 - January 13, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest   Tuesday, January 13 1998   Volume 01 : Number 748

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I
will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

PLEASE KEEP YOUR POSTS SHORT
   Now that many list members are back with us, the volume of posts will
be increasing. This makes it important to stay on topic and keep your
posts concise.  Avoid the tendency to ramble, as this increases the
amount of text readers have to wade through. If you want to ramble on,
take it to IRC or the newsgroup.
   Also remember to be very selective in your quoting of others'
messages. Don't quote an entire post just to add one or two lines. And
be especially careful not to quote the whole digest!!

ARMCHAIR FAQ
   To help you be a better citizen of the Armchair, Mark Piper has
compiled a list of Frequently-Asked Questions just for subscribers to the
Magical Armchair.  Please check it out at
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/5430/listguide.html  There is also a
link at the Magical Archive homepage, http://oeonline.com/bff/list/

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Japanese TV
    Saturday Night live policies
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #746
    Not another SNL complaint
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #745
    Yes, ONLY one song on SNL
    i hate the nbc people
    JamTV's Artist of the Year:BFF
    PUSA / SNL
    meanwhile down under...
    Screwups?
    Nothing but rage!!!
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #745
    Boots and phoenix
    SNL reviews & MBP reviews
    Re:  Magical Armchair Digest V1 #745
    SnL and stuff
    sam Jackson

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 18:20:13 -0800
From: edahn01@sprynet.com
Subject: Japanese TV

I remember back in like the spring of '96 or something there was a lot of
discussion about a Japanese soap (I think, but it may have been a sit com) that
used BFF concerts in their plot and played BFF as background music a lot.  I'm
not sure about this, but if anyone is really intersted they can check the
archives.  Actuailly I think I mightgo back and re-read ALL of the armchairs
(when I first joined at #54 I went and read all of the previous ones, but I
think I need a refresher).

KRTZ FRDRCK DN

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 21:30:02 -0500
From: "mike." <mikelawson@mindspring.com>
Subject: Saturday Night live policies

oh me oh my...misery.
Saturday Night Live does indeed still suck.  WHy would you not feature at
least the cheerleaders skit when its theonly one that gets good press?  WHy
would you screw a young band over on their first reeeeaaaly high profile
gig on tv?  and yes, playing snl is pretty damn big.  Think of the company
they're with.

While none of this is new to thelist, I thought i should add my little bit
o info on the two-song rule for saturday night live.  Yes, in 99.9% of the
cases, the guest band plays two songs during the show.  The only deviations
for this that i can recall (and I must admit ive been watching *every
episode* since the very first wayne's world episodes) is once or twice when
it was obviously way over time limits on skits (take that damn playboy
"let's get it on" skit for example).

The other exception, Pearl Jam's appearence where they were the first group
to ever get to play three songs during the show.  Of course, this was at
the height of their poplularity during "Ten".  I thought Smashing Pumpkins
would get to do the same but....only two.  ANyway, the point is, BFF got
the shaft.
I think ratings would've been better with and hour and a half of B.F.F.
playing with Samuel L. Jackson as a guest background vocalist. skip the
crappy skits.

  If I was in charge of their performance, i would have made them play
either "battle of who....." or "one angry dwarf" first song...and then
second song would have been Underground (full version with Darren's front
of stage start off).  THese two would have been really successfull and
shown the world the sound of BFF.  I like brick and all, but that's not
exactly indicative of their sound.  My guess is, Sony has a HUGE hand in
choosing the songs for appearences.

Oh yeah and on the fact that there is guitar on Emmaline on N.B.P......
that's how it was on the Majosha record so.....its how it was intended right?

whatever &
mike.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 21:53:09 -0500
From: Randy Locklair <randy@ny.amarex.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #746

BFF did Video Killed the Radio Star?  I was not aware of that.  That's
pretty cool.  I liked the PUSA version.  Does anyone know of a album
version of that?  Well, hi list.  This is my first post.  I"m randy, from
NYC. =) Nice to meet you all.  Can't wait to get NBP, but i don't get paid
til thurs.. so i'l lhave to wait!

- -Randy

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 19:16:15 -0800
From: jycpark@sprynet.com
Subject: Not another SNL complaint

I had a question about the Titanic skit, where Will Ferrell was the captain
evacuating the ship, and Samuel L. Jackson and one other guy were 5th class
passengers waiting patiently to get off while the ship was sinking. I didn't
tape it so that I couldn't go back and check, but when Will Ferrell says to
evacuate the 1st class pianos, was that ben folds and the boys carting their
piano across the deck. I doubt it, but it would have made for a pretty good joke
if that was indeed the case. Just another trivial observation.

Jiwoo

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 22:11:28 EST
From: DMB 44 <DMB44@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #745

<< One song. . .one frickin' song!  >>

during rehersal at snl...they played two songs...brick and dwarf, but they
didn't have time during the real show I guess...my bro works on snl and told
me

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 98 22:16:48
From: evlbison <evlbison@neo.lrun.com>
Subject: Yes, ONLY one song on SNL

Kinda funny,

	Lots of folks go on about how much SNL sucks these days, yet they are
surprised than BFF got only one song. If you had been watching the past few seasons
you would KNOW that there is only one song. So instead of complaining how bad the
show was, and how terrible Ben's upright was, or how Sam Jackson added "the" to
their name, lets look on the bright side. Ben Folds Five was on a nationaly
syndicated TV show on NBC, LIVE, with millions of people watching.

Nuff said?

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 22:25:56 EST
From: Shnib10 <Shnib10@aol.com>
Subject: i hate the nbc people

errr i know everyones all in a flutter about the snl incident so i send a
email to nbc and within like 15 minutes i get this lame ass responce thats
like thanks for your email.....i mean man i just don't like them, and i bet my
letter isn't even important to them like they said it was hehe just thought
i'd share

love, sarah

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 22:28:06 EST
From: BenFolds J <BenFoldsJ@aol.com>
Subject: JamTV's Artist of the Year:BFF

Hey chairers,

   I was looking over the official site and saw that BFF is JamTV's official
band of the year. I checked out the site, and it's pretty cool. It's got some
great interviews in realaudio and other assorted stuff.
    I just thought I'd let the curious know that Darren does play '67 Ludwigs
- - sparkle blue. I just got the same kit through mail order, and they sound
identical. It's tons of fun playing around on those things, especially BFF
songs, because the toms sound so similar. Anyway...have a good one!

~Jordan
    "The cruelest lies are often told without a word; the kindest truths often
spoken, never heard."

p.s. anyone with collection items, bootlegs, anything looking to trade or
sell, email me, because I'm dying to get stuff...I do good prices, if not, you
may be able to bargain me down for free. Anyway...later folks!

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 22:32:06 -0500
From: Adam Tyner <ctyner@CLEMSON.EDU>
Subject: PUSA / SNL

Right now, the PUSA version of Video Killed The Radio Star is only
available on (IIRC) one version of the Dune Buggy single and a Japanese
import CD called "Rarities".  The Dune Buggy version is live, and the
Rarities version was recorded in-studio.  I have Rarities, if anyone wants
me to make an MP3 of it.  BTW, a newly-recorded Video will be on the
upcoming "The Wedding Singer" soundtrack.

As I'm sure many other people will note, SNL's "2 songs" rule isn't hard
and fast anymore.  Recently, 1 song seems to be what most people are
getting (The Rollins Band...ick...and Sarah McLachlin (sp?) come to mind)...

BTW, if anyone cares, this is my first post to the Armchair.  :)  Some of
you might recognize me from Chalkhills, TMBG-list, Bedside Manor,
Heman-list, Froglist, and...whatever else I'm on.  :)

- -Adam Tyner
(waves to Rich and any other people at Clemson...  :)
/----=========================================================----\
             http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/
The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more!
   Demented music list admin           O-         MiSTie #67,326

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 14:36:14 +1100
From: Dmitri Colebatch <dimc@ozemail.com.au>
Subject: meanwhile down under...

Hey Armchairites,
Well, I've just finished reading three armchairs full of "SNL sucked",
"What, only one song", etc. etc..  Now I'm not having a bitch or anything,
but at least you people over there get to see them on telly, and see plenty
of shows.  Me, on the other hand, like many other Australians, see them how
often?  Well, not enough.  Ok, enough whining, I do have a point to this
post.  Do any other aussies know what's happening with NBP?  I asked this
last week and someone wrote saying they thought it was about the same, but
...  I go into my local record store today and they, after getting the
runaround and asking me the name like three times, then wanting to know
where I heard about it, well after all that the person tells me another two
or three weeks!  This cannot be true, someone help me!

My sympathies to those who had to endure watching Ben on an upright, and
what?  No stool throwing?

dim.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 22:37:17 -0500
From: Ramsay <r_huntle@pop-in.ncsu.edu>
Subject: Screwups?

I've seen several people post and say that they thought the guys messed
up during the SNL performance. The feeling I got was that they didn't
really "mess up," but intentionally tweaked with things to make it a
little bit different than what you always get on the radio. I noticed
several things that Darren did that are definitely not on the album. I
thought it was pretty cool. I don't know if that was intentional or not,
but that's just my two cents.

Also, what was the deal with Ben in bright red, a spotlight on him, and
then Darren and Robert in the shadows wearing darker clothing? I found
that rather weird. Hmmmm....

later,
Ramsay Huntley
r_huntle@eos.ncsu.edu
- --
Amos Baker: "Do you remember the Dorer's?"

Ben Folds: (pause) "Jim Morrison?"
			(Carrboro, NC  11/11/97)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 22:45:32 EST
From: dr.watson77@juno.com
Subject: Nothing but rage!!!

Howdy all!!
It's that elusive Andrea girl again. I just wanted to reinstate the
Saturday night live e-mail address so that you too can have the
opportunity to vent your rage to them. 1 song!?!? I could almost be
driven to ask Ted Kazinski for a favor. That is if he doesn't find a new
pair of underwear first.

>saturday night live 	e-mail : snl@nbc.com

"So much time, so little to say..." -Ben Folds Five
Andrea

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 23:00:22 EST
From: PookieB453 <PookieB453@aol.com>

<< . . . some reviewers are writing NBP off as being rough-edged or
 incomplete. . . >>

  On a personal note, I couldn't agree more.  I think that NBP is not intended
to be a follow-up album to WEAEA, I think its meant to compliment both of the
albums because it gives everyone a look at how the band is when the mic isn't
on to studio record.  I'd compare NBP to Nirvana's Incesticide, although
Incesticide wasn't quite as personal.  I also think BF5 wanted to give those
of us who aren't lucky enough to have all the imports and singles a chance to
hear the rest of their music.  Artisticly, I can appreciate 'For those y'all
who wear fannypacks' more than some who will just listen to it because the
song wasn't contrived- it was completely improvised, and that's hard to do
(for me, anyways =)  Well, I'll stop there- I could go on forever, but I'd
like to keep it relatively short =)  Take care

~Jason

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 20:10:16 PST
From: "wilson lo" <inane@hotmail.com>
Subject: Boots and phoenix

OK OK OK I know that we're not suppose to post boot request here but I'm
desperate!!!!!!!.....I'm looking for a boot of them on KCRW (I think it
was on July 17, 1997) or something it was when the string section was
in.....I'm acutally looking for any radio gig where they
play!!!!!!!.....I'm willing to do 2 for one trade cause I really don't
have anything to offer, other than my soul(which if the trade is good
enough!).....Any takers?!!!!  PLEASE!!!!!!

OK I just found out the Toronto venuse....the Phoenix?!?!?!?.....Oh well
better than nothing!!!.....thanx!

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 23:32:45 -0500
From: Kate <sliemers.6@osu.edu>
Subject: SNL reviews & MBP reviews

- --------------61627951A5DCB5F9CC5A675B

    I'm back guys!  And I laughed when I read what EVERYONE said about SNL!  I
wish we could just send the last three armchairs to the producers of the show or
something.

    About the poor NBP reviews:  What other band would put out a new album not
even a year later, not to mention during a peak chart time of a single off the
last record?  The band should be looked at as having original ways of their own
(which they have shown in everything else) and very appreciative of their fans
to have taken the time to put out new material.
    Look at the work this band has put forth!  Tell me how many days last year
they WEREN'T on tour!  This is what I'd like to ask the album reviewers in these
magazines to consider.
I have not yet had the luxury of hearing the new album, but I'm not expecting
the same quality as say, WAEAM.  It's a collaboration of versions of songs not
available before.

I can't wait! Just 36 more hours till Emaline!!

~Barbi

- --------------61627951A5DCB5F9CC5A675B

<HTML>
    I'm back guys!  And I laughed when I read what
EVERYONE said about SNL!  I wish we could just send the last three
armchairs to the producers of the show or something.

<P>    About the poor NBP reviews:  <U>What other band
would put out a new album not even a year later, not to mention during
a peak chart time of a single off the last record?</U>  The band should
be looked at as having original ways of their own (which they have shown
in everything else) and very appreciative of their fans to have taken the
time to put out new material.
<BR>    Look at the work this band has put forth!
Tell me how many days last year they WEREN'T on tour!  This is what
I'd like to ask the album reviewers in these magazines to consider.
<BR>I have not yet had the luxury of hearing the new album, but I'm not
expecting the same quality as say, WAEAM.  It's a collaboration of
versions of songs not available before.

<P>I can't wait! Just 36 more hours till Emaline!!

<P>~Barbi</HTML>

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 23:44:15 EST
From: Winzing <Winzing@aol.com>

<<Emmaline20@aol.com>
Subject: SNL>>

I, too, was shocked by the SNL show.  First, that they only played one song
and second, it was a little odd to have Ben facing the other direction.
However, I must tell you I do love the old uprights.

CharWinzing.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 23:46:41 -0500
From: Craig <Craigc@gte.net>
Subject: SnL and stuff

1. What was the deal with the upright piano? Facing offstage?
2. On the subject of Japanese lyrics:I don't mean to pull rank, but
anyone who has been collecting records for any significant amount of
time (13 years myself) If you receive lyrics in side a Japanese import,
they are very commonly wrong. It's because of bad translation, not
publishing and all that stuff. That has nothing to do with it.
3. Elizabeth-I have personal involvement with Boy Wonder. e-mail with
what you think of the album, particularly the 4 songs that jake wrote.
for the record, the band on the back cover is broken up already.
4. If I owe you a trade for bootlegs but haven't sent you anything yet,
send me your address again! I lost it, and will get it to you (Ted and
Brian, et al...)
CC

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 23:57:19 -0500
From: Craig <Craigc@gte.net>
Subject: sam Jackson

I don't honestly believe that Sam Jackson knew who Ben Folds were. Keep
in mind that he saw them in and out of the studio during the week. I
just saw Jackie Brown and I am again wishing they wrote some funny stuff
for Sam. He's such a superior actor.
Anyone who needs USA tv appearances from 97, I have all of them as far
as I know, and most are in excellent shape.
If anyone needs copies, or if anyone has superb copies of Letterman
Brick or MTV live, let me know.
For those talking about how bad SNL is, don't be fooled! SNL is no more
or less funny than it ever has been. Except for the consistency of
Weekend update during Dennis's reign, SNL has been hit or miss since the
first show in 75. Every week. (not that this week wasn't particularly
bad.) And by the way- the one band performance has been instituted on
occasion since the big cast turnover of 94-95.
CC