Issue #753 - January 14, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest  Wednesday, January 14 1998  Volume 01 : Number 753

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I
will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

PLEASE KEEP YOUR POSTS SHORT
   Now that many list members are back with us, the volume of posts will
be increasing. This makes it important to stay on topic and keep your
posts concise.  Avoid the tendency to ramble, as this increases the
amount of text readers have to wade through. If you want to ramble on,
take it to IRC or the newsgroup.
   Also remember to be very selective in your quoting of others'
messages. Don't quote an entire post just to add one or two lines. And
be especially careful not to quote the whole digest!!

ARMCHAIR FAQ
   To help you be a better citizen of the Armchair, Mark Piper has
compiled a list of Frequently-Asked Questions just for subscribers to the
Magical Armchair.  Please check it out at
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/5430/listguide.html  There is also a
link at the Magical Archive homepage, http://oeonline.com/bff/list/

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    ALL AGES TORONTO!!!!!!!!
    The only thing worse than watching SNL...
    KCRW
    piano?
    BFF review
    Chicago show
    Emaline
    More stuff to add to SNL
    BF5 rocks
    SNL - 2 songs, not 1
    None BFF content?
    a few BFF things
    Meeting at upcoming shows....
    Upright was "Brick" original & the 1 song thing yet again
    I was right about the piano!
    Chicago, sheet music.
    Re: Something you don't like with BFF ?

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 20:07:56 PST
From: "wilson lo" <inane@hotmail.com>
Subject: ALL AGES TORONTO!!!!!!!!

OK OK So I really really really screwed up when I said the thing about
the phoenix....the lady who gave me the info mus have been out of it or
something....I check in 3 differned places to make sur this is correct
(if your curious Kim Hughes(the live in toronto girl), Tower
record(ticket master outlet), and rephoned ticketmaster to make sure)IT
IS ALL AGES I REPEAT ALL AGES IN TORONTO....ticket's either go on sale
this thursday or Feb 4....they aren't sure yet....so it's all good!

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 23:15:42 EST
From: YourPalCM <YourPalCM@aol.com>
Subject: The only thing worse than watching SNL...

I'm afraid the only thing worse than wasting an entire hour and a half sitting
through those painful-to-watch SNL skits is wasting an entire hour and a half
every night since then reading through post after post of everyone complaining
about SNL.  Enough already!  Can we pleeeeeeeeease move on to the next
topic???!!  No more SNL posts or someone gets hurt.  Am I understood?!

Thank you.  Now, someone mentioned a version of "Song for the Dumped" sung in
Japanese!  Anyone know where I can find that?  What about BF5 version of
"Video Killed the Radio Star".  I gather from what everyone has said that it
was never actually recorded for public release.  How often do/did they play it
live?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 23:33:36 -0500
From: Kate <sliemers.6@osu.edu>
Subject: KCRW

- --------------4667774098BD249A71A5E470

Everyone keeps asking about the show, "The morning becomes eclectic" on
KCRW.
You can listen to 3 shows at:

http://media.liveconcerts.com

then find KRCW, then Ben Folds Five.

~Barbi
I want my NBP!

- --------------4667774098BD249A71A5E470

<HTML>
Everyone keeps asking about the show, "The morning becomes eclectic" on
KCRW.
<BR>You can listen to 3 shows at:

<P><U><A HREF="http://media.liveconcerts.com">http://media.liveconcerts.com</A></U><U></U>

<P>then find KRCW, then Ben Folds Five.

<P>~Barbi
<BR>I want my NBP!</HTML>

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 23:43:27 +0000
From: Alden Thomas <althomas@gte.net>
Subject: piano?

Ummmmm...

I dont get it.

Whats wrong with an upright?

Alden

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 23:46:44 -0500
From: Ramsay <r_huntle@pop-in.ncsu.edu>
Subject: BFF review

If anyone is interested, I have a copy of the Raleigh News & Observer
article reviewing the SNL performance. This is the paper that covers the
Chapel Hill, NC area, so the interviewer does a decent job of patting
BFF (and Chapel Hill) on the back for the performance. Not the greatest
review, but not the worst I've seen. If you're interested, email me
privately and I can attach a copy of the review to an email for you...

later
Ramsay
r_huntle@eos.ncsu.edu
- --
Amos Baker: "Do you remember the Dorer's?"

Ben Folds: (pause) "Jim Morrison?"
			(Carrboro, NC  11/11/97)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 98 23:15:59 -0600
From: "Ted" <sonq0002@tc.umn.edu>
Subject: Chicago show

Heydy ho, y'all.  I'm a long time subscriber first time poster (wow, that felt
very talk radio) and need some help.  I bought tickets for the Chicago show
today and just need any info at all, like where should we stay, what is there to
do in chicago and you know, that sort of thing.  Please help a small town boy in
his first trip to the big city (ok that's not exactly true, but it was awfully
fun to write)  Oh, anyone in the Mpls area should come to see Superman Curl at
the 400 bar this thursday, Jan. 15.  And to make myself feel truly inducted into
the armchair world....SNL sucks, new fans piss me off, and ummmm why does the
radio only play Brick?  Now I truly belong.

Ted

"I ain't got no idols, and I don't have much taste.  I'm shiftless when I'm
idle, and I've got time to waste."    -The Replacements

"The Statue of Liberty play only works once, don't throw it away."    -Wilco

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 00:47:20 EST
From: Emmaline20 <Emmaline20@aol.com>
Subject: Emaline

Who plays the guitar in "Emaline?" It's pretty dern cool..

Sarah :)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 00:56:48 EST
From: GenLand18 <GenLand18@aol.com>
Subject: More stuff to add to SNL

I was not expecting Ben Folds Five to play 2 songs on Saturday Night Live.  I
knew pretty much the reason they got on that show was due to the immense
popularity of "Brick," and that it would be the only song they'd perform.

SNL has been letting their musical guests perform only one song the past
couple of years, and that's a shame:  it used to be a given.  And that's what
used to make the show special.  Now you have to be an "uber-star" to get the
opportunity of playing two songs.  Like a Hanson.  Or a Paul McCartney.  Along
those lines.

Yeah, the episode of SNL was less than stellar.  Though I did like the Titanic
skit for some reason.  I must be going soft...

Latest Music Acquisitions:
Gas Huffer -- One Inch Masters
Psychotica -- Psychotica

Various Shameless Plugs:

ARE-OH-VEE music video program
Sunday nights / Monday mornings
1 a.m. for a half hour
On KDOC (Channel 56, 46, 24.... check your local listings, since it varies)
E-mail:  AreOhVee@aol.com
Request Line:  714-646-6433
Website:  http://www.areohvee.com

*MY SUPERHERO*, The Mac Swanky Trio, Tex Twill
Friday, January 23rd
The Foothill in Signal Hill / Long Beach
Tix are $7 (and are available at TicketMaster, if you can't wait to get them)
Doors open at 9 p.m.
18 and over ONLY.  Sorry.  =Þ

*JEFFRIES FAN CLUB*, Channel Six, Unleaded Plus, Mr. Brown, and Rx Bandits
Friday, January 30th
Boyce's in Hesperia / Victorville
$5
7:30 p.m.

Asian Dork Princess,

**Leslie** (the Librarian)

{E-mail me for a copy of the Nerf Herder FAQ (last updated 1/8), soon to be on
the Official NH site at <A HREF="http://www.coincide.com/nerfherder">
http://coincide.com/nerfherder</A> sometime this century}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 16:13:51 -0700
From: MATTHEW KEITH WARNICK <1WARNIMA@UVSC.EDU>
Subject: BF5 rocks

I just have a few short things to say, so I'll be quick:

1) Can we please never mention The Joker/Space Cowboy on the
Magical Armchair again?  This mailing list is supposed to be
BF5 based.  Thank you.

2) I will be writing SNL an e-mail, though I couldn't see
the show.  I live in Utah and it was getting such bad
ratings that they canceled it.  Thanks for the advice
anyway.  That still sucks.

3) Is there such a thing as a BF5 live chat room anywhere on
the web?  If not why don't we set one up?

4)I don't care what anyone says about their breakout style
and whether it exists or not.  If there have been other
bands that are similar who appeared before Ben's, who
cares?!  BF5 is the only band with their style that ALSO has
the potiental and talent to reach a plethera of fans.

5) I consider myself a big fan, but don't have any bootlegs
yet.  I really would like to get some of their more quality
recordings, especially of songs that arent on BF5, WEAEA,
and NBP.  Are there any and where can I find them.

Thany you all for you attention and support in this
difficult time--

I remeber when misery thrilled me much more--

Ender (or Matthew, whichever you prefer)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 01:58:08 EST
From: sandishortcake@juno.com
Subject: SNL - 2 songs, not 1

> From: evlbison <evlbison@neo.lrun.com>

>Kinda funny,

>	Lots of folks go on about how much SNL sucks these days, yet
they are
>surprised than BFF got only one song. If you had been watching the past
few >seasons
>you would KNOW that there is only one song.
As for this ONE song rule of yours...you are incorrect.  Ben Folds
himself told me on FRIDAY evening (the night before the SNL appearance)
that they were going to play 2 (count em... TWO) songs: Brick & One Angry
Dwarf.  NOT ONE SONG.  The skits ran too long and they got bumped...this
has happened often on SNL...but they WERE supposed to play 2
songs...thank you very much.

- -Sandi

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 23:50:48 -0800
From: "BFF_On_Tour@The.Road" <BFF_On_Tour@The.Road>
Subject: None BFF content?

Hello! Since we are the tour, anything we talk about is, by definition,
BFF content.
So here's a fun "game":

Q. What's the name of your first pet?
Q. What's the name of the street you grew up on?

A. That's what your name would be if you were a porn star.

One more thing, the piano that Ben used on SNL is the same one that was
used in the recording of 'Brick'

See some of you in February!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 02:32:15 -0600
From: Bec Williams <bec@the-beatles.com>
Subject: a few BFF things

Hey all -

First off, I would like to thank Frank Maynard for posting a seemingly
legitimate explanation for the SNL chaos.  If Frank is the source, I
believe it to be true.

Secondly, a question for my fellow Armchairettes.  Is it just me or does
Ben just look absolutely edible in the One Angry Dwarf video?  I've always
thought he was just as cute as he could be, but in that video he's
bordering on gorgeous.  Just curious as to whether or not I'm the only one.
 :)

Becky

"I'd love to mix in circles, cliques, and social coteries."  - Ben Folds
									    Five

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 04:19:51 EST
From: sandishortcake@juno.com
Subject: Meeting at upcoming shows....

Ahhh, one more post...I just can't resist.  I've been so anti-posting
these past few months...

As for meeting at upcoming shows, I will be at the St. Louis, Chicago,
and Detroit shows for sure.  If anyone wants to meet up, email me or else
just yell "SANDI!" or "SHORTCAKE" really loud once in the venue...I
should not be hard to find...some girl standing just to the right of the
stage, right in front of where Ben will be...unless that is, these clubs
have cheap drinks, then I will be the girl who appears to be 15 (but is
really 23) slumped over a bar stool with a Rolling Rock in hand,
screaming "PLAY BEST IMITATION" or something obnoxious like that.  I may
also be at the New York, Philly, & Washington DC shows, so anyone going
to any of those shows, email or look for me.  I know I keep saying I'm
hard to miss, but really I am.  Eric Patton found me in Ypsilanti without
even knowing what I look like...I was the one causing all the trouble by
standing up and dancing when we "weren't allowed" to.

- -Sandi
Always in the center of a controversy I did not create.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 04:19:51 EST
From: sandishortcake@juno.com
Subject: Upright was "Brick" original & the 1 song thing yet again

Brad Crum wrote:
>And they make Ben
>play some barroom piano that sounded pretty marginal...
>p.s. 1.2 million an episode and all they can come up with is a
>    Goodwill piano...

Okay, okay, here's the actual scoop.  Michael Bluejay & Erik Lyons were
right...That WAS the actual piano that Ben played to record the album
version of "Brick".  He shipped it up to New York.  It was not a bar room
piano, it was BEN'S piano that was used to play "Brick"
originally...according to Ben it was $50 and the only song it sounds good
playing is "Brick".  So there you go...straight from our beloved's mouth.

From: Chris Larkin <clarkin@dante.creighton.edu>
>In my opinion, (which means sqwat,) I don't think Mr. Folds was up to it

>that night. Call it jet lag, a stomach virus, breaking up with his girl,

>live national audience, dog died, whatever. He just wasn't all there.
>My theory: He elected to do one song. Just a theory, though.

They WERE supposed to play 2 songs...they just got bumped.  And I don't
think he was bummed about anything...He was very excited about playing
SNL.  They just got bumped and only got to play one song.  I don't know
why everyone's obsessing about this....  UGH.

One more thing:  ERIK!!!  They are handing out icecream cones?  Oh boy!
Oh yum!  Will they be free?  If not, will you purchase me one at the St.
Louis or Chicago show?  I'm not sure I meet that age requirement....

See you all in St. Louis, Chicago, and Detroit...and possibly New York,
Philly, and DC!

- -Sandi

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 98 03:31:39 -0600
From: Michael Bluejay <bluejay@pobox.com>
Subject: I was right about the piano!

Our esteemed moderator, Frank Maynard, wrote:

>A few listmembers have wondered about why Ben used an upright instead of a
>grand piano and sat with his back to Darren and Robert. The piano on SNL
>is the actual piano from Ben's house on which the song "Brick" was
>recorded...

Whoo-hoo!  I *told* ya!  Didn't I tell ya?  Didn't I say that the SNL
piano sounded just like the piano on the CD?  Didn't I suggest that maybe
it wasn't just AN old upright, but BEN'S old upright, shipped to NYC for
the show?  Bonus points for me!  And to Eric Lyons, who pointed out the
same thing.  And -10 to everybody who dissed the piano.  I rock!
Whoo-hoo!

- -- Michael Bluejay (Austin, TX)

P.S.  Just so I can do a maximum amount of gloating, here's my post from
yesterday:

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 06:50:56 -0600
From: "Scott A. Schneider" <echo@msn.globaldialog.com>
Subject: Chicago, sheet music.

Someone suggested nametags for meeting up before the Riveria show-- I'd
have suggested the same thing, but they don't seem to be working anymore
since venues are getting bigger and bigger.

Hmm... I'll bet Frank was just about to suggest the "May-nard" Marco-Polo
people-finding tips, right?  Or maybe we shouldn't start that thread
again...

Anyone know who's opening this tour?

Also-- I have leftover *one-sided* copies of the first piano book (which I
photocopied for someone else and then re-did double-sided)... so if anyone
who doesn't have the book is interested in taking this wasted paper off of
my hands, please let me know.

scott

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 10:31:57 -0500
From: David Della Bitta <ddel4695@uriacc.uri.edu>
Subject: Re: Something you don't like with BFF ?

Subject: Something you don't like with BFF ?

If there is ANYTHING that I don't like about BFF, its that they get really
nervous for national appearences.  Any time that I have seen them on the
TV, they seem to miss things, and Ben's voice isn't completely perfect.
Now, _I_ don't mind this at all.. I could watch tapes of the shows of them
on the T.V. all day... HOWEVER... they may not attract enough fan base to
keep them getting on T.V. if this keeps up. :(

David Della Bitta