Issue #756 - January 15, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest   Thursday, January 15 1998   Volume 01 : Number 756

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I
will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

PLEASE KEEP YOUR POSTS SHORT
   Now that many list members are back with us, the volume of posts will
be increasing. This makes it important to stay on topic and keep your
posts concise.  Avoid the tendency to ramble, as this increases the
amount of text readers have to wade through. If you want to ramble on,
take it to IRC or the newsgroup.
   Also remember to be very selective in your quoting of others'
messages. Don't quote an entire post just to add one or two lines. And
be especially careful not to quote the whole digest!!

ARMCHAIR FAQ
   To help you be a better citizen of the Armchair, Mark Piper has
compiled a list of Frequently-Asked Questions just for subscribers to the
Magical Armchair.  Please check it out at
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/5430/listguide.html  There is also a
link at the Magical Archive homepage, http://oeonline.com/bff/list/

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Naked Baby Photos
    My mom can be clueless...specially when Im gonna be a drag queen!
    SFTD and Julianne on NBP
    Forgiveness
    Bad trader.....apology
    One Copy of NBP!
    guster list discusses ben folds five
    hammerstein ballroom
    Naked Australia?
    Contracts and Naked Photos
    sympathic
    new chat room
    I'm the Only Person on the Planet...
    Found Sound & The Virtues Of Rarities Albums
    Ugh
    Re: BF5 rocks
    SNL threepeats
    The phone rings and it ain't Steven's ride
    a few things that have been talked about lately and some not
    naked baby photos--the obligitory review

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 17:26:46 -0800 (PST)
From: Steve VanDevender <stevev@hexadecimal.uoregon.edu>
Subject: Naked Baby Photos

I of course got a copy of _Naked Baby Photos_ today.  It's great
to really hear some of the songs that I've only heard about
before.  "For Those of Y'all Who Wear Fannie Packs" is a total
hoot, and quite likely the only rap-like song I will ever enjoy.
The only song that really doesn't do much for me is "Ultimate
Sacrifice" -- it sounds too much like Rush at their most
over-pretentious :-)

I'm also looking forward to the Portland, OR show on the 4th,
which a whole bunch of us from Eugene will be going to.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 20:58:38 -0500
From: jaedonely@juno.com (A A DONELY)
Subject: My mom can be clueless...specially when Im gonna be a drag queen!

Today my mom said, while watching brick ,"I dont think his voice is very
good...I think he just wrote this REALLY BEAUTIFUL song and its probably
going to be the best thing he ever does..." My mom is the genral public
and that annoyed me....need Naked Baby Photos! Must convert piano genius
boy @ school to BFF!! Isnt it fun to be back up to 4 issues of the
armchair a night?
~Elisabeth
Okay, my friend Nicole and I did "drag queen names" with the name of your
first pet and your moms maiden name
mine would be.....
Watermelon Audette...
Id have to be big breasted:)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 21:04:39 -0500
From: Mandel Ilagan <ilagan@fas.harvard.edu>
Subject: SFTD and Julianne on NBP

Just got Naked Baby Photos this morning.  Great stuff on it, but I was
wondering one thing...the vocals are really buried in the live versions of
"Song for the Dumped" and "Julianne."  Is this case the same with all of
your copies?

The weirder thing is that after I hit the karaoke button on my stereo,
those tracks sounded fine.  The vocals were brought up in the mix.  Do I
have a defective copy or is this "normal?"

Mandel Ilagan
ilagan@fas.harvard.edu
http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~ilagan

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 21:17:05 EST
From: luckyday6@juno.com (Jason A Masi)
Subject: Forgiveness

I am writing in reference to Steve Seck and the kid at Clemson. I have
traded with many people and so far I have sent stuff to everyone that has
sent me something that includes Steve Seck and Sandra Jeon which I sent
out yesterday. Sorry for the people that don't think I am a good trader
and an apology on the armchair would be acceptable.

Sincerely,
Jason

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 21:33:39 -0500
From: cambot@juno.com
Subject: Bad trader.....apology

sorry 'bout that. He sez the tape's in the mail. So cross
Luckyday@juno.com off your bad traders list.

Steve!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 21:26:17 EST
From: JARAMINI <JARAMINI@aol.com>
Subject: One Copy of NBP!

January 13, the day Naked Baby Photos is released. I have a sporting event to
participate in (swim meet for anyone who cares) so, I write the name of the
band, and the name of the CD down and give her some cash to cover the cost of
the CD. I told her not to go to Mediaplay too early, so that she could be sure
they got in their shipment. Well, she called at 11:00 AM, the guy on the phone
said they had it, about 10 min. later, when my mom shows up at the store she
sees where the CD is supposed to be, and there is no CD there. Goes to the
music department people, they fiddle with their computer and bit and find out
this: they had a copy (yes, one copy, they only got 1 copy of NBP) and they
had sold it between the time my mom had left the house and had got there. The
search continues....

John

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 21:45:20 EST
From: DMB 44 <DMB44@aol.com>
Subject: guster list discusses ben folds five

<< BFF also gets talked about
 on the Dave Matthews Band list and the Weezer list and the Radiohead
 list and who knows what other list. >>

guster list too

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 22:00:28 EST
From: DMB 44 <DMB44@aol.com>
Subject: hammerstein ballroom

Everybody that is going to the hammersteinballroom show in ny...E-mail me
personally or on the list and we will all meet up and chill....peace-matt

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 19:07:31 PST
From: "Cheryl ." <chezza@hotmail.com>
Subject: Naked Australia?

Hey fellow Aussies,

Does anyone know when Naked Baby Photos will be released in Australia?
Is it worth ordering it from CDNow, seeing as it will take a week or so
to get here, or will it be here shortly?

Actually, just had a thought: it would be cheaper to pay the exchange
rates and postage to get it from America than it is to buy it as a new
release CD here....

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 19:13:35 +0000
From: Chris Robles <ziggi@cats.ucsc.edu>
Subject: Contracts and Naked Photos

Well I am just fucking tired of people, saying that Ben Folds Five
shouldn't have released Naked Baby Photos, or that they are brave
releasing this album (in the face of certain criticism).

The fact of the matter is the boys really did not have much choice in
what Caroline records was planning on releasing (contracts and the
like). Record labels big or small are always trying to cash in and make
as much money as possible.  Caroline was going to release this ablum
whether or not it was any good. The good thing is that the guys decided
to help, which helped make this album fun and enjoyable; especially for
all of us poor yanks that don't have any of the B-side tracks.

So get over bad reviews (what the fuck do reviewers know about music),
and enjoy the album.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 22:17:28 +0000
From: Alden Thomas <althomas@gte.net>
Subject: sympathic

i hear you bro,

i work on a music store myself (camelot..ick) and we were denied the NBP
as well until the 26th...

found it down the ways at Blockbuster though..apparently its illegal for
them to sell it before release date. as if anyone cares though...

Alden

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 22:19:04 EST
From: DMB 44 <DMB44@aol.com>
Subject: new chat room

go here to chat about bff.... <A HREF="aol://2719:62-2-Ben%20Folds%20Five">
Arts and Entertainment - Ben Folds Five</A>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 22:26:45 -0500
From: Kerry Garvin <kgarvin@mindspring.com>
Subject: I'm the Only Person on the Planet...

Went out today to pick up NBP...and I couldn't find it anywhere here in
St. Petersburg (went to 3 music stores)!

One of them said they had promo copies in, but they wouldn't be getting
NBP in for possibly another week (the guy obviously did not know when it
was s'pose to be released and being the shy person I am I couldn't ask
for a promo).  What's up with this?  Are we trying to kill all my nerves
here?  Someone help me out.
A.S.A.P. (As Short As Possible ;),
Kerry

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 22:35:12 -0500
From: "R.C." <rchallen@clemson.campus.mci.net>
Subject: Found Sound & The Virtues Of Rarities Albums

That is a phone ringing in "Steven's"... hey, it's a house, after all.
I've had the beeping of a digital watch wind up on a track... Apparently
the piano player forgot to take it off, and it was picked up by one of
the interior piano mics. But we used digital editing to get it out. :)

OK, I'm gonna be brief on this point: "Naked Baby Photos" is for FANS
ONLY. So were The Who's "Odds & Sods," Pumpkins' "Pisces Iscariot," and
Sugar's "Besides" (among others). I've been looking for a copy of the
"Jackson Cannery" 7" for YEARS. I probably would've had to pay $20 if I
had found it... for 2 songs. I now have both tracks in perfect CD
quality... along with 14 others... for $14.99. Thank you, Ben & Robert &
Darren.
Here's another fact to ponder: Choosing tracks for a compilation takes
VERY LITTLE time and money... Recording a studio album takes MANY MONTHS
and MUCH MONEY. Anyone who says, "Why didn't they just come out with a
new studio album instead?" is missing the point. What they're really
suggesting is, "Why didn't BFF NOT come out with a rarities album, and
then take just as long as they normally would to come out with their
next studio album?" If you don't like it, DON'T BUY IT. This is a FAN
mailing list, isn't it? I would think everyone on the Armchair would be
GLAD that their favorite band was giving something back to them.
And finally: NBP came out on Caroline. BFF is now signed to Sony. A new
Sony album has no bearing on this new Caroline album. And why would
Caroline "wait a little longer to release a B-sides album," since all
future Ben recordings will be the property of Sony? (Pretty much
nullifying their chances of ever appearing on a rarities CD released by
Caroline Records?)
Whew....

Sorry. That wasn't brief after all. I guess it came from reading 5
Armchairs in a row, with 20 posts apiece that amount to variations of,
"I hate Entertainment Weekly 'cuz they gave Ben a bad review" or "I hate
SNL 'cuz Ben only played one song like almost every other artist who has
appeared on the show the last 2 seasons."
Give it a rest. Please. Thank you.

Grouchily,
rICH

Visit The RICH Homepage and check out the brand-new CD,
LIFE/DEATH... 15 songs of romance and retribution...
Available independently from Desperate Man Records.
         http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Stage/9035

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 22:38:00 EST
From: Emmaline20 <Emmaline20@aol.com>
Subject: Ugh

You know, I really hate people who constantly complain and act like a baby. Of
course, that has nothing to do with this list, I just felt the need to vent.
I'm wicked excited about NYC though..now that I have this information I can
finalize plans and whatnot..and it looks as though I'm definitely going!!!!
Just gonna have to stand in line at the venue early to get a good spot near
the stage. And...the whole porn star name thing...I never had a pet..does that
mean I don't get a porn name?

Sarah :)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 20:57:20 -0700
From: uselink@juno.com (Jeremy V Davis)
Subject: Re: BF5 rocks

Wow, come to find another Utah armchairer that didn't get to see SNL
cause of our NBC affiliate's decision to dump it a couple years back.  I
suppose the infomercials they show now get the same ratings and in my
opinion are more entertaining except for the occasional guest. NBP came
out today, but I didn't get it. Pity me. I will get it tomorrow! So
remember all you whiners (I mean that in the most loving way) you could
have been like me and not seem the boys at all on Saturday.

Bye all,
            Jer

- --------<uselink@juno.com>---------
"Blind man on a canyon's edge of a panoramic scene" - Ben Folds Five
"It's all technical stuff, you wouldn't understand."  - Ben Folds

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 11:11:20 -0500
From: Craig <Craigc@gte.net>
Subject: SNL threepeats

Anyone who's only knowledge of SNL is since Wayne's World needs to stop
discussing things about the show.
If anyone would like a complete list of the acts who played three songs,
let me know. It happened 34 times (Paul Simon, Frank Zappa, and James
Taylor did it multiple times) up to Pearl Jam, who did it on their
Vitalogy appearance, NOT the ten appearance.
Who cares what Steve Tyler looks like? Just cause these people don't
understand Ben, there is no logic that makes Aerosmith's Nine Lives a
bad album.
Anyone who hates the Phoenix in Boston, don't bother posting. Not that
some of us don't care, but it's just not news. Discussion of Ben stuff
merits time posting. You are only upsetting yourself reading that thing.
Amateur writers and bad attitudes is all that happens in that rag.
Katy: Hang on, they'll come back to Boston. And when they do, I'll tell
you a little secret about where Darren hung out before the last show
here ;). GO Wellesley!
BTW-Mike, Joe Jackson did a number of albums without guitars. But Night
and Day still had a quartet on it, with the spare percussionist.
CC

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 11:17:17 -0500
From: Craig <Craigc@gte.net>
Subject: The phone rings and it ain't Steven's ride

A phone definitely rings in that spot. then someone laughs about it, and
then the clarinet begins his glisssando sounding  like the person
laughing.
Did you, like I did when I first got it last year, go to answer your
phone in that spot more than once?
CC

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 23:04:51 EST
From: Curt587621 <Curt587621@aol.com>
Subject: a few things that have been talked about lately and some not

 well....i've been on the armchair a while....about 6 months...i don't know if
i've posted before or not...i'm gonna share some of my views about some topics
that have been "hot" lately on the chair...(if you care or not is up to u!!!)

primero....snl....well, i used to be a big fan of the show but my interest has
fallen in the last few years...anyway, i usually don't watch the show and i
don't think the majority of the people on the chair watch it regularly
either....anyways, (again)...my friend is a big fan like i am, he forgot about
the snl appearance...after the fact, i told him it sucked how they only played
one song...i was expecting brick but truly looking forward to the "other
song"....he replied with all bands play one song now that they changed the
format on snl...i'm not sure...does anybody know if this is true?....most
people have mentioned other bands (pj and sp) who played multiple songs...but
this was a few years ago!!...i have the 25th anniv snl book and no band ever
only played one song....who knows?  anyway...who cares?...the only reason why
a band would play snl or talk shows is to get exposure....that's what was
accomplished!!!!!!!!!!!!

segundo....reviews of nbp....by ew....well, it's a raritie/live album....what
do you expect?....there's a reason why these songs are rarities and are b
sides...and it's not because they're bff's best songs...bff is my fav band but
i can accept the fact that it's mediocre songs are still not better than other
acts hardest efforts....no one should expect this album to get an "a"...these
reviews are done for the general public and not diehard bff fans or fans of
"alternative" music

once again....for the umptenth time...the phone ring in steven's....it's been
discussed and proven it exists by us and the band...BUT....listen very closely
to underground at the :33 mark during the second  "can we be happy?"...there
is a fant phone ring......i know most will think it's just some more
bells....but no....definitely a phone..............turn it up and you will
hear........!!!!!!!!!

                                                           curt

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 23:14:26 EST
From: ShirowFan <ShirowFan@aol.com>
Subject: naked baby photos--the obligitory review

I like NBP....like it. That's not even close to love. Love is down the street,
drinking a beer with some of its friends while watching asian action movies.
Love is fixing the pay-per-view black box on the TV, doing its darnedest to
get free movies.

Like is sitting here, with me, listening to the new CD, sitting on my couderoy
chair and stinking up the place.

Ben and the boys are the best damn band out there. Period. Why, then, such a
mediocre product?? I think it boils down to this: Ben's songs are about loss.
Think about it: Video, Brick, even Underground, all about some kind of loss.
These songs, while good, seem too nonsensical and airy. And the problem with
airiness, you ask, gentle readers?

Airiness takes the place of SUBSTANCE. While Twin Falls and Eddie Walker are
some of the best damn songs ever, by anyone, what else is in the package??
Umm, metal crap, some live stuff that is nowhere near their best, and some
dumbass demo of "bad idea". While i am glad the boys have finally found
success, why do they have to release the BAD stuff to satiate the fans? we can
wait for quality. We did for WAEA, we could've waited for a complete album of
great stuff, like the past stuff.

eh. Whatever. i am just glad to have a new cd to listen to by my long-running
favorite band. I wish them more success than they know what to do with, just
better products in the future.

Stirrin' up Trouble,

dave-o

"Money Talks, and it hurts to Listen"
- -Ben Folds (apparently unaware of the irony)