Issue #779 - January 25, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest    Sunday, January 25 1998    Volume 01 : Number 779

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I
will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

PLEASE KEEP YOUR POSTS SHORT
   Now that many list members are back with us, the volume of posts will
be increasing. This makes it important to stay on topic and keep your
posts concise.  Avoid the tendency to ramble, as this increases the
amount of text readers have to wade through. If you want to ramble on,
take it to IRC or the newsgroup.
   Also remember to be very selective in your quoting of others'
messages. Don't quote an entire post just to add one or two lines. And
be especially careful not to quote the whole digest!!

ARMCHAIR FAQ
   To help you be a better citizen of the Armchair, Mark Piper has
compiled a list of Frequently-Asked Questions just for subscribers to the
Magical Armchair.  Please check it out at
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/5430/listguide.html  There is also a
link at the Magical Archive homepage, http://oeonline.com/bff/list/

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    TORONTO BEN FOLD FIVE!!!!
    Naked Baby Photos release dates
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #773
    BFF/Gladhands in SF
    cute lil' ancedotes
    problems?
    HOW SERIOUS ARE YOU?
    replies to a whole lot o' armchairy stuff
    Spice Girls
    Clutch tix....  SOLD OUT!!!
    I Finally Aquired It
    naked baby photos
    WHEN ARE THEY COMING TO LONDON
    BFF show wanted
    God bless Ben Folds

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 13:27:06 PST
From: "wilson lo" <inane@hotmail.com>
Subject: TORONTO BEN FOLD FIVE!!!!

Wow toronto is acutally a cool town sometimes....SOLD OUT.....they sure
are getting big fast last time they were here in the summer the tickets
were only 10.50.....now their 19 service charge included!!!(Damn I hate
Service sharges!)....Sorry to anyone that doesn't have a ticket
yet!!!....I wish I had an extra to help out but i dont't!!!

OK OK Toronto so here's my reason for writing....wouldn't it be cool if
their was a way to know which people in the concert are on the
armchair!.....I was thinking would it be too dorky if we wore those "Hi
my name is " tags with our pornstar names on it.....let me know I'll
wear mine and it'll be "MILVERTON GOLD" so if you see me say
hey!.....tell me what you think toronto!!!...email me ay
inane@hotmail.com

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 17:18:55 -0500 (EST)
From: Frank Maynard <maynard@mail.oeonline.com>
Subject: Naked Baby Photos release dates

Here are release dates for NBP in various countries:

Australia - still awaiting release date info.
Belgium - 1/12
Canada - 1/13
Denmark - 1/12
Finland - 2/16
France - 1/12
Germany - 1/19
Greece - 1/12
Holland - 1/12
Ireland - 1/12
Norway - 1/19
Spain - 1/19

As soon as I hear something about Australia I'll post it.

 -fjm
                       The world is sleeping. I am numb

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 17:26:23 EST
From: Vix456 <Vix456@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #773

hello!
I've never posted before, but I just wanted to know where I could get a hold
of some  bf5 singles. I'm interested in the b-sides. I love all three albums
that have some out so far, but I would like to hear more. Thanks!
                                                      Vicki

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 17:52:37 -0500 (EST)
From: commander space dog <rvw@email.unc.edu>
Subject: BFF/Gladhands in SF

Cool news-- Gladhands will be opening for Ben & the gang in San Francisco.
I'm super-pumped... it'll be a cool chance for people to hear some of the
tunes that Robert played on their album.  I think they go on right at 8,
so everyone should show up on time.  Wish I could go, but I'll be right
here in NC.

I also heard a rumor that they were playing the same night in Portland,
but it looks like Gladhands will be opening for hometown heros The Dandy
Warhols and BFF will have to rock out by themselves.  Not that rocking out
is a real problem for them.

csd

- --------------------------------TFt IS #1!-----------------------------------
COMMANDER SPACE DOG	      Ross V. White		rvw@email.unc.edu
	    "Our pilot's a penguin... and he's been drinking!"
- ------------------------http://www.unc.edu/~rvw------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 17:50:30 -0500
From: jaedonely@juno.com (A A DONELY)
Subject: cute lil' ancedotes

When I got Nekkid Bebe Photos, I walked into Newbury Comics, went up to
the obligatiry cool looking workers, and said, "do you guys have Naked
Baby Photos?"
The LOOK they gave me!
meekly, I said, "...............by Ben Folds Five??"
I really like Tom and Mary and i think it would make a kickass cover song
for a band with a white faux soul sound.  I go for either Jamiroquai or
Hanson, but think about it, I think Hanson and the Bros. Dust would
probably kick Jay Kay and his Didgeridoo's English arse.  Actually, a
Hanson, BFF summit would be cool, but with the 11 year old girls
proffessing their love for Ben as a definite downside.
~Elisabeth
You know what? I LOOOVEEE the movie, book, and cd of  the Committments.
And   whooohhh!!! that actor who plays Jimmy Rabbitte is hot; too bad I
was 12 when the movie came out.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 18:08:28 -0500
From: "Steve Mandel" <tribefan@nlcomm.com>
Subject: problems?

- ------=_NextPart_000_0027_01BD2829.E83FAFE0

hi, y'all. i just have 2 questions. why does my email get that 2nd thing =
at the bottom? and why is everyone complaining about the armchair? i =
haven't been a member for long, so i don't know how it's changed. but =
isn't it supposed to be something fun and informative for all ben folds =
five lovers? or am i missing the point??? i don't understand why people =
can't write what they want. if they go a little off topic, why get so =
angry? luv, leslie

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 98 17:02:26 EST
From: majordomo@hk.super.net
Subject: HOW SERIOUS ARE YOU?

HOME BUSINESS NON-MLM. HOW SERIOUS ARE
YOU...

..About Being In Business For Yourself!?

I am not talking about MLM!

Does the idea of making at least $2,000 per week beginning your 2nd week of doing business excite
you?

First, Our Promise To You
1) NO Selling or Telephone Calls!
2) NO Talking or Personal Contact with others, on the phone or in person!
3) NO Mandatory mailing of postcards, products or information to prospects!
4) NO Prospecting or Cold Calling of any kind!

ALL OF THIS IS DONE BY THE COMPANY!!!

POTENTIAL INCOME:
Week 1: $360
Week 2: $2,110
Week 3: $2,360
Week 4: $2,300
Week 5: $1,540
Week 6: $3,280

This business handles all your calls, closes your sales, and sends you weekly commission checks!

There is nothing else out there that will provide you with an immediate income beginning THIS
WEEK with minimal effort.

                                 CALL 1-800-811-2141

                   ***IMPORTANT...YOU WILL BE ASKED FOR ID #48399
                                    WHEN YOU CALL!***

(Live operators are available from 8 AM-10 PM CST Monday through Saturday)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 18:51:27 EST
From: DaphBlake <DaphBlake@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #776

Here's something I was surprised to find in the local paper:

'Insiders' cite some moments of note

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 20:17:09 EST
From: BlueJellow <BlueJellow@aol.com>

<<
 I might as well join the bandwagon and mention the strangeness on the cover
of
 Naked Baby Photos.  If you look at Darren & Robert,  and combine their
 physical appearance,  you would get Ben.  If you don't believe me,  look for
 yourselves!!!

I thought Darren looked *hot*

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 12:47:04 CST
From: "Petra Starke" <naturalselection@hotmail.com>
Subject: replies to a whole lot o' armchairy stuff

1. BF5 on LA LIVE again sometime in the near future; so says the LA LIVE
email update I got yesterday.

2. re: the "King Doug" sounding bit in Bad Idea. I always thought he was
saying "I think I feel like getting down on ya". Maybe it's not as
tasteful as "King Doug"...but it makes slightly more sense.

3. Is it just me or does anyone else find reading other people's
long-winded posts about their BF5 dreams excruciatingly, mind-numbingly,
I'd-rather-have-bamboo-shoved-under-my-fingernails-than-read-any-more-of-this-crap
BORING?

Cheers,

Petra

PS: whoever was asking: the ska remix of Kate is not worth paying extra
for, IMO. Don't flame me, I'm fire retardent. ("You make me feel, make
me feel, make me feel retardent...")

"Funky cold medina..."

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 18:49:26 -0700
From: "Will Canzoneri" <canzo@eudoramail.com>
Subject: Spice Girls

I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up-  At the end of one of those songs recorded
in London on 11/26/96 (I'm not gonna get up and check) on NBP, Ben Folds clearly
says "Thank you.  The Spice Girls will be back in March."  Hmmm...let's look:
- -The Spice Girls didn't appear until around March 1997.
- -This announcement took place many months before their album was released.
So am I misunderstanding him, or...DID THE SPICE GIRLS OPEN FOR BEN FOLDS FIVE?
- ---

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 22:48:16 -0500
From: aplauri@juno.com (Philip J. L.)
Subject: Clutch tix....  SOLD OUT!!!

i went to harmony house with some friends to get the tix for THEM to go
to the clutch cargos show with me only to be stopped by the lady saying
''SOLD OUT' soory!"  i could not believe it!!!  i hope all the
armcharians that wanted tix to the clutch show got em!!!  i am glad i
did!!!

philip

"who's got the looks, who's got the brains. . . who's got everything???"
- -BEN FOLDS

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 02:54:34 -0500
From: "idaho" <idaho@appstate.campus.mci.net>
Subject: I Finally Aquired It

- ------=_NextPart_000_002F_01BD2873.66917240

A quick description of the first night with NBP from an old lurker on =
the Armchair....

So I went to a bar with my friends tonight and beside the bar was a =
record store.    I left the bar for a few minutes, went next door, =
browsed, and found it.       Naked Baby =
Photos.....................Incredible.  Especially since I plopped  =
about $15 for it and I am a poor graduate student who has nothing to =
spend on such frivolity.  I sat in the car and listened for about 20 =
minutes.   This is truly a fan album.   Those who simply bought WEAEA =
for Brick will not appreciate this at all and I'm glad (I'm still a =
little bittersweet about this whole fame thing).  Got pulled over on the =
way home with it in the player (on the live version of Underground, and =
thank God I wasn't driving) and the Highway Patrolman actually =
recognized it when he came to the car.  He was young, and apparently a =
fan.  A pretty decent nite overally.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 14:05:50 +0000 (GMT)
From: ER Burningham <u7g83@ugg.keele.ac.uk>
Subject: naked baby photos

how cool is the new album?!!! i can't wait for the next british tour, did
anyone else go to the manchester gig in december - it was amazing & we met
them & got their autographs. it was very cool. well worth getting your ribs
crushed for (standing right at the front).
<this goes out to my home boy trey - in chapel hill. aka known as roadie
killer....> i've met trey - he's cool.
sorry for rambling
from
mad em

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 09:53:58 -0500
From: Mike Dixon <101750.2237@compuserve.com>
Subject: WHEN ARE THEY COMING TO LONDON

I RALLY NEED TO KNOW IF THEY AREA PLAYING IN LONDON THIS YEAR AT ANY POINT
AND IF ANYONE KNOWS WUILL THEY TELL ME
101750.2237@compuserve.com
I AM ALSO LOOKING FOR BOOTLEGS OF LONDON SHOWS OR AMY OTHRS REALLY
I WILL PAY MONEY
WRITE TO ME
MARINA

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 09:55:44 -0500
From: Steffen Donath <SDonath@compuserve.com>
Subject: BFF show wanted

Hello everybody!

I am looking for a high quality (and I mean HIGH quality) copy of the
following show:

11/22/97 La Zona Rosa, Austin, TX

If anybody wants to trade, please contact me privately.

Steffen

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 16:05:02 -0600
From: "Justin Ryan" <justinryan@usa.net>
Subject: God bless Ben Folds

- ------=_NextPart_000_0044_01BD2818.A96A8B20

Anne writes:

>Down with fun! Why should we be lighthearted when the band is so =
obviously
>not? Not since Morrisey's heyday has there been a band that captures
>depression so eloquently as BFF does on NBP.=20

Matthew. Right on, penis!

Anne. Morrisey?! ...Everything's heavy.

I'll be extremely disappointed if Ben doesn't smile at least once in =
Dallas when he sings SLNIT. I mean, don't we all know Steven? And don't =
you laugh when you think of that guy? Let's leave overt depression and =
angst to the Baby Boomers. No one will ever do self-pity as well as they =
do. Steven is a Baby Boomer. Laugh.

I think Robert looks like John Stamos' older brother, Richard.

God bless BFF.=20

penis.
justin