Issue #786 - January 28, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest  Wednesday, January 28 1998  Volume 01 : Number 786

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I
will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

PLEASE KEEP YOUR POSTS SHORT
   Now that many list members are back with us, the volume of posts will
be increasing. This makes it important to stay on topic and keep your
posts concise.  Avoid the tendency to ramble, as this increases the
amount of text readers have to wade through. If you want to ramble on,
take it to IRC or the newsgroup.
   Also remember to be very selective in your quoting of others'
messages. Don't quote an entire post just to add one or two lines. And
be especially careful not to quote the whole digest!!

ARMCHAIR FAQ
   To help you be a better citizen of the Armchair, Mark Piper has
compiled a list of Frequently-Asked Questions just for subscribers to the
Magical Armchair.  Please check it out at
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/5430/listguide.html  There is also a
link at the Magical Archive homepage, http://oeonline.com/bff/list/

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Tickets
    Ben doesn't say that! (Spice Girls crap)
    Smashing my head into a Brick wall.
    Uncle Walter & Singles
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #782
    Spice Girls
    Kosher Bacon
    influences
    Re:  Magical Armchair Digest V1 #781
    Kudos to all 3....
    SFTD single
    Piano transcriptions
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #782
    Tearful apology
    NO. 12!!! WAY TO GO!!
    [none]
    Hooray Petra!
    MAKE IT STOP!!!
    commercials
    Glaring, Random Thoughts
    Tournament
    Amazing knowledge of all things "Spice"...

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 14:38:46 PST
From: "wilson lo" <inane@hotmail.com>
Subject: Tickets

I guess this is basically a tip for everyojne without tickets....my
friend who only decided to go to the concert on last wednesday night(I
got her addicted to NBP form her stealling my discman everysingle day
during accounting)...thing was the concert was already sold out in
toronto or so said ticketmaster as a last stab attempt to get tickets to
the concert she went to the phoenix on sunday night and they had about
10 tickets left!!!!!....

   so moral of story just cause ticketmaster is sold out it doesn't mean
the venue is! : )....hoped I helped someone out there

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 18:21:14 EST
From: BenFolds J <BenFoldsJ@aol.com>
Subject: Ben doesn't say that! (Spice Girls crap)

Ya idiots...

...Ben makes a joke in saying "we're the Spice Girls, we'll be back in
March..."

~Jordan

p.s. It has something to do with all the hype surrounding the Spice Girls for
the sarcastically challenged.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 18:20:19 EST
From: Chemweasel <Chemweasel@aol.com>
Subject: Smashing my head into a Brick wall.

Please, I beg all of you, no more about Brick !!!! For those of you who are
new to the Armchair  we went through all of these discussions when the album
first came out. Stop, I can't take it anymore!! Frank, can't you put a filter
on the Armchair that will delete any post with the word Brick in it? While
you're at it let's kill Hanson and the Spice Girls, too. This list used to be
fun, and contain actual info and real points of interest. I hope all of the
idiocy ends soon, or like several of the other old timers I'm gonna have to
unsubscribe. Anyone else with me? Good.

Brandon

"I'm drowning slowly..."

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 18:36:02 EST
From: Phisher XC <PhisherXC@aol.com>
Subject: Uncle Walter & Singles

I am looking for a copy of the "Uncle Walter" video, one of my friends saw it
on 120 minutes the other night and was really surprised.  I as well thought
that there was only the "Brick" video....(there are so many better songs than
"Brick" to represent BF5, oh well).  I was also looking for the three singles
that BF5 released.  Does anyone know where I can get those, local stores don't
sell them.  Also are The Truth About Cats and Dogs and Mr. Wrong the only two
soundtracks BF5 has played on?  Just wondering.  Alos I am really interested
in trading and if anyone wants to trade e-mail me.

Ryan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 18:59:05 EST
From: BlueJellow <BlueJellow@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #782

<< It seems like a lot of people on this list feel they
 have to prove how big a fan they are.. >>

I feel like that. Listen.
I LOVE BEN FOLDS FIVE!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 16:36:23 -0700
From: "Will Canzoneri" <canzo@eudoramail.com>
Subject: Spice Girls

I'm sorry... I was a pretty bored when I wrote that about the Spice Girls.
	REALLY?  Gee whiz... I really thought the Spice Girls actually DID open for BF5,
even thought everybody knows they had never performed up until recently.  And I thought
the Spice Girls spent years struggling in London bars singing their own original
songs before they finally hit it big.  To everybody:  Thanks for telling me they
did NOT open for BF5.  I didn't know that.
	Also, I am teaching sarcasm lessons for $15 for a half-hour session, as I see many
of you are in DIRE need of them.
	(Honestly, I didn't think they were big in Europe all the way back in May 1996,
as a few of you tell me).
- ---

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 19:44:40 EST
From: SarahBF5 <SarahBF5@aol.com>
Subject: Kosher Bacon

Hey. Its me again. Oooh, i have more stuff to respond too!
 1. "Are there any plans in the making for Brick to play on Top 40/Mix radio
formats?  I inquire because I believe that Modern Rock formats are only the
tip of the iceberg for such a fine song. "
  Well, around here (in Warren, Ohio)  Brick is already been on the big Top 40
station. I mentioned earlier that it won the "Battle of the Buzz." -----> the
nightly "new song" face off. Dont know if that helped u any, but i just
thought i'd put my 2 cents in. (hehe)
 2. "This is taking a big chance but is anyone out there from SOLON, Ohio?  I
could use your help."
   Well, Emily..im not from solon..im from the Warren-Youngstown area, which
is still probably closer then most of the other people on this list. If that
is close enough to help, lemme know.
Well, se ya'll later. If u ever wanna chat, look fr me online or email me. i
'd love to chat.
- -Sarah

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 17:18:55 -0700
From: "Will Canzoneri" <canzo@eudoramail.com>
Subject: influences

I would agree with the guy who said what he said about those damn Elton John and
Billy Joel comparisons.  That's been one of my biggest pet peeves for God-only-knows
how long.  Elton John maybe, but Billy Joel?  I think the lousy critics who will
only compare them to piano-based acts are damn fools.

Here's what I say it is:
mid-period Joe Jackson, Elton John's first 4 or 5 albums (yes, listen to them, esp.
"Burn Down the Mission"), Todd Rundgren's first 4, Nazz (Todd's first band), Neil
Sedaka, maybe a little Traffic, Jellyfish, and perhaps Billy Joel's notorious debut,
"Cold Spring Harbor."

Check out my comparisons in greater detail at http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palladium/5194/bf5riyl.html

And has does anybody else think "Best Imitation" sounds like Bruce Springsteen, at
least at the beginning?
- ---

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 21:02:31 EST
From: Mansuetude <Mansuetude@aol.com>
Subject: Re:  Magical Armchair Digest V1 #781

<<<< Okay...heres my question: On the NBP liner notes it says that "Bad Idea"
was
 writte for a soundtrack. What movie? >>
I believe it was in Schindler's List.

Schindler's List? I know thats not true! It was written for Truth About Cats
and Dogs.  I can just imagine Bad Idea comining in at a crucial point in
Schidler's List... movie goers woul've been confused!

Kris

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 21:26:56 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt <jbrandt@kent.edu>
Subject: Kudos to all 3....

I'd like to give some props out to these 3 media outlets for their good
stuff to say about BFF:

1. Alternative Press (out of cleveland, but a national mag) who had this to
say in the feb 98 issue-
	Page 10  "BEN-BARE-ASSED, Ben Fold's Naked Photos; Piano powered geeks,
ben Folds Five, have released a collection titled NAKED BABY PHOTOS
released by Caroline this month.  the album sports a collection of various
live recordings (including a cover of Built to Spill's "Twin Falls"),
non-LP b-sides, alternate versions, and a whole lot of goofin' around.  "We
had a pretty good selection of stuff to choose from," says Folds. "When you
release singles in different countries, each territory demands an exclusive
b-side.  England wants four, japan wants two, and Australia wants four.
it's almost as if you have to record a whole other album just to put out a
single."  In february, Folds, bassist robert Sledge, and drummer Darren
Jessee will do a final 12-city tour of the US and england in upport of
their 550 Music release WHATEVER AND EVER AMEN before commencing work on
their third album.  550 will also be releasing a Folds solo album under the
fake band name FEAR OF POP that Folds describes as "A Dolemite soundtrack
over some kind of club music.  On one song, me and a bunch of guys drove
around a parking lot, screaming and shooting, and we taped it.  it could be
on a cop TV show."
	Page 41 (Reader's poll) BEST LIVE ACT: 1 Mighty Mighty bosstones 2.
Marilyn Manson 3. Radiohead ROCK HARD: less than jake, BEN FOLDS FIVE, Rage
Against the Machine, Reel Big Fish

2. kelly Benjamin, a reviewer for the local Cleveland Magazine, SCENE, had
this to say (along with a great review of NBP) "If you recently can't do
without your radio fix of "Brick", this purchase will either confirm your
convergance or have you running back to the radio for the next "neato" song
to fall in love with"

3. MTV's 120 mins, who had a kick-ass show on Monday, Jan. 26....not only
did they have old, live performances by Weezer and the Femmes, but also
cool vids and not "Brick", but the UNCLE WALTER video!!! kudos!!!

jess

"I bet you never knew but now you know-
	I'm the undisputed king of this disco"
		--DJ Kool

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 19:09:50 -0700
From: "Julie Hurst" <sledgie@mailexcite.com>
Subject: SFTD single

So I was in the city on Saturday and I found a single which looked like BOWCCl but
it had SFTD written on it, it said import and it had the same tracks that are on
dwarf, It's odd cause I never heard of it. Has anyone? it said madein austria on
it.
So I love nbp. Fannie packs is all i expected + more. Darren seems a little hyperactice,
I bet he was tired after that. Anyway I don't have much to say.
Oh yeah is there a bree whose uncle works in Radical records in dandenong, i met
him when I got NBP. Anyway c ya later

julie 'anti-gavin'

"They won't go any higher"

http://www.mailexcite.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 23:34:57 -0500
From: "James Lamanna" <streak@pantek.com>
Subject: Piano transcriptions

If anyone has any piano transcriptions of any BFF songs please email me at
streak@pantek.com
Thanks,.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 23:42:32 -0500 (EST)
From: bobafett@ekx.infi.net

hey all...

>by the way, i'm sure the spice girls were around before march 1997 - weren't
>they christmas no. 1 here in the uk in 1996. i have no idea. but it seems

when i was an exchange student in june of 1996, the spice girls were already
on mtv-europe with wannabe...so it is very likely that ben could have made a
joke referring to them after seeing them on mtv-euro and being horrified...
thanks...

jessica

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 00:22:10 EST
From: Mystic1879 <Mystic1879@aol.com>
Subject: Tearful apology

::big giant sniff and she is holding a giant wad of kleenex::

I was having a bad day when I worte that post about the die hard Bf5 fan, I
was frustrated with the world as anybody would be on thier worst days, I am
rather sorry that I had to take it out on that poor girl who asked a rather
simple question.  I wish that I could take everything back and have everybody
please just forget that I had ever submitted that post.

::begging and pleading on hands and knees::

Meredith

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 16:01:36 CST
From: "Petra Starke" <naturalselection@hotmail.com>
Subject: NO. 12!!! WAY TO GO!!

ONE ANGRY DWARF was voted in by the Australian public as number 12 in
the list of 100 hottest songs of 1997!!! Far out, I didn't think they
were that popular! Excellent going, boys.

In 1996 they reached the no. 3 spot with 'Underground'.

Cheers,

Petra

PS: loved Ben's back announce about OAD being something about kicking
Jeff Harvey's ass. Or piano. I forget which.

QUE MINH WRITE TO ME!!!!!

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 98 17:38:57 PST
From: "guilty" <guilty@shoalhaven.net.au>
Subject: [none]

auth 43470bf5 subscribe armchair guilty@shoalhaven.net.au

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 02:18:04 EST
From: Brad654 <Brad654@aol.com>
Subject: Hooray Petra!

> 3. Is it just me or does anyone else find reading other people's
>  long-winded posts about their BF5 dreams excruciatingly, mind-numbingly,
>  I'd-rather-have-bamboo-shoved-under-my-fingernails-than-read-any-more-of-
> this-crap
>  BORING?

Christ, YES! I thought I was the only one wondering why the hell these kept
appearing.

Brad

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 02:18:07 EST
From: Brad654 <Brad654@aol.com>
Subject: MAKE IT STOP!!!

> I gotta agree with Joe. Also, I think "he is drowning slowly" because he is
>  holding onto her.
>
>  I think the "brick" is his girlfriend, but couldn't it also be the unborn
>  baby? The baby is just kind of weighing everyone down, without reallying
>  doing anything.

No, no, no, no!!!!! Please don't start this again! I can't take it!!!!

Oh yeah, one more thing: as much talk as there is about how much the Spice
Girls suck, there sure are a lot of people on this list who seem to know an
awful lot about what they released and when.  I don't think I'd be admitting
to knowing any of that information.

Brad

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 09:49:50 -0500
From: Britte_Raymond@nmh.northfield.ma.us (Britte Raymond)
Subject: commercials

	I'm not sure if this will go through considering I've posted once before
and don't know if it went through because I seem to only get like half of
the armchairs.  I don't know why.  But my post may also be out of date
becuase of this problem.   I don't know if this is true or if you guys have
discussed this, but I've been hearing that there is now a commercial on TV
for WAEA.  It's like "When was the last time you had a crush on an album?"
And mentions the "hit single" Brick.  I haven't seen it.  I was just
wondering if this was put out by the boys or what and what your thought
might be on this.  Also anyone going to the St. Louis show I'd like to hear
from.
Britte Raymond
Sent from Northfield Mount Hermon School via
      the First Class SMTP Gateway

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 11:23:12 -0800
From: "Kamp, Marcus S" <Marcus.Kamp@PSS.Boeing.com>
Subject: Glaring, Random Thoughts

I was thinkin'...this year is my 10-year high-school reunion (alright,
I'm old, I know:-(!).  Will people indeed remember me?  I certainly was
never cool in school & I'm definitely still wonderin' who(m) to be, but
I'm not 1 for circles, cliques, or social coteries.  Otherwise, the
intro is perfect.  So, that's the damn deal about that.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 14:55:18 -0500 (EST)
From: SLAYBAMJ@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu
Subject: Tournament

Well, the ballots are out for the first round of the BF5 Tourny. Thanks to all
who have responded, if you want to join in after the round one results are
tallied, it's not oo late, just e-mail me a blank page with the subject BF5.
Those of you who already joined, you're set. Just mail your results from Round
One to get the second bracket match-ups. There were 2 of you though, who I
couldn't get to accept my e-mails, so, sorry. If you can figure out the
problem, or get the ballots from someone lese, that'd be cool. I got your
e-mails fine, but I can't get them back to you. Sorry 'bout that.
Well, rock on y'all. Till Ben Folds rules the world and Sledge is a White House
intern...Peace be on ya'!
SLAY

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 12:07:51 +0000
From: mikes@1057thepeak.com (Mike Stone)
Subject: Amazing knowledge of all things "Spice"...

Wow!  For a list that seems to spend a whole lot of time slamming
them, we sure know our Spice Girl facts.

Ironic Spice
Mike Stone