Issue #794 - January 30, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest    Friday, January 30 1998    Volume 01 : Number 794

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I
will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

LET'S KEEP IT ON TOPIC
   Recently some of the discussion threads have wandered off topic,
eliciting posts that have nothing to do with BFF. Even if it's in reply
to something that's been said on the Armchair, keep in mind that if it
doesn't have to do with BFF, it's off topic. The cute banter belongs in
an AOL chat room, not here.
   Also please note a couple days ago the item I posted asking you not
to offer bootlegs for sale. I've updated the "charter", so to speak, to
include that. It might be a good idea to review the list of rules for
yourself. To get an updated copy, either visit
http://oeonline.com/bff/list/ or send a message to
armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with 'intro armchair' (without the
quotes) in the message body.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    LoveLine
    re: what's a brick?
    Ben was in Adleiade? Goddamn fucking goddamn...
    New BFF Chart Positions
    Loveline and a few other things
    2 things i'm looking 4
    Re: bff dreams
    Help!!! I NEED TO GET TO SEATTLE!!!
    what air play?
    singles
    bad reviews
    anybody got extra tickets to Toronto show???
    yet another crappy critic, and prom
    hey i am soon going to meet them yeah
    Heed this warning
    Another NBP Review
    gershwin reference
    the prankster revealed

Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 22:16:22 -0800
From: "Shannon" <zody@exo.com>
Subject: LoveLine

FYI -- In the LA Area, KROQ radio's LoveLine, (I think it may be
syndicated) announced that BF5 will be co-hosting next week. Odds are, this
also means that they will be on the MTV LoveLine around the same time.

Shannon

------------------------------

Date: 30 Jan 98 08:37:05 +0000
From: Simon Angling <simon@finlayson-design.co.uk>
Subject: re: what's a brick?

>here's what i think about what the reference to "she's a
>brick" is: okay, she's drowning,or more probably sinking into depression,  >just like a brick dropped into the water
>would sink. make sense? of course i'm totally open to other
>interpretations.
>
>- -joe miller.

Brick - as defined by The New Shorter Oxford English Dictionary
A stalwart, loyal, or generous person.

If you want to know what stalwart means then look it up yourself.

Simes

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 22:05:23 CST
From: "Petra Starke" <naturalselection@hotmail.com>
Subject: Ben was in Adleiade? Goddamn fucking goddamn...

To my fellow Armchairers,

Sorry about the R-rated subject line (hope I didn't offend
anyone...remember that discussion about whether the boys should swear in
their songs or not? God that was a laff) but BEN WAS IN ADELAIDE AND I
DIDN'T SEE HIDE NOR HAIR OF HIM and I think that warrants a swear word
or two.

On the subject of Schindler's List - as IF 'Bad Idea' was in Schindler's
List!! Come on! It was in 'Shine'. It was David Helfgott's main piece in
the film, remember? I think they covered it up by calling it
'rachmaninoff's third' or something, but all us fans knew what it was,
eh?

Forever happy to be an Armchairer with little to say on most occasions,

Petra

PS: love the Spicey pseudonyms. But 'sideburns spice'? Hmm, I dunno...

PPS: I love the Armchair and all the crazies on it. It's so not cool.
But in a weird
eighties-is-back-in-fashion-and-platform-shoes-are-now-considered-hip
retro cheesy kind of way, it IS cool. Gotta love that.

Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 08:20:00 -0500 (EST)
From: Mitch Armbruster <marmbru@email.unc.edu>
Subject: New BFF Chart Positions

Hi folks!  I never have anything witty to say like about the "Titanic"
soundtrack, but here are some BFF Chart positions I found this morning:

billboard.com (feb 7, 1998 issue)

WAEA #45 (down from 42)
NPB  off (down from 94)
Brick - #6 on Modern Rock Chart (up from 8)

Ben Folds Five - no. 31 of 100 on Ultimate Band List's
Most Requested Cards List (ubl.com)

Emaline - #93 on Japan's JWAVE Top 100 chart!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 00:58:50 -0700
From: uselink@juno.com (Jeremy V Davis)
Subject: Loveline and a few other things

Well, to start off with I'm surprised not to come across a reference to
the boys soon to be appearance on the good old Loveline radio show, Adam
announced it on Sunday with others coming in the next two weeks so I'm
guessing it will be after the Hollywood show (which I'm sure most of you
know is next week) seeing that Loveline broadcast from L.A. So keep you
ears peeled, I know I will.

The Caroline Records thing is something I talked about in my comparison
of the two bands in a post less then a week ago, people jus don't listen.

My fabled BF5 Win95 from months back is finally going to be available, I
just need to finish a little HTML and I'll be good to go, so I'll post
the address as soon as it's ready.

Bye Kiddies,
                    Jer

- --------<uselink@juno.com>---------
"Blind man on a canyon's edge of a panoramic scene" - Ben Folds Five
"It's all technical stuff, you wouldn't understand."  - Ben Folds

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 10:25:34 -0500 (EST)
From: vanvalnc@is2.nyu.edu (Chris Van Valen)
Subject: 2 things i'm looking 4

Hi all

I'm looking for the "Kate" video if anyone has a copy. I'm also wondering
if anyone has a tape from Brownie's in NYC form 95-96, or if one even
exists. Trades available.

CV

If you have an unpleasant nature and dislike people
this is no obstacle to work. -- J.G. Bennett

Catch "Forever Knight" on the Sci-Fi Channel every
Mon-Thurs at 9PM and 1AM EST. -- Lucien LaCroix

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 11:09:16 EST
From: Pianogtar@aol.com
Subject: Re: bff dreams

<< <<  Is it just me or does anyone else find reading other people's
  >long-winded posts about their BF5 dreams excruciatingly, mind-numbingly,
  >I'd-rather-have-bamboo-shoved-under-my-fingernails-than-read-any-more-of-
 this-c
  >rap
  >BORING?

  I must disagree - I love to read about people's BF5 dreams.  Better than
alot
  of the morass that clogs up the list these days.  As for "long-winded",
 dreams
  are fairly low on the list of long-winded posts, in terms of sheer number.

 I must disagree with you.  The dreams are pointless, and a little scary when
 you think about it.  I mean come on...
 If you post anything about your dreams, I'll find you and when I find you I'm
 going to shit on your doorstep..dream about that.
 Anthony Simmons #41 GO TIGERS!!!

I feel that dreams express one's personal being and are a good thing to have,
i think it is cool that someone can express their dreams to everyone on the
list, hell some of these dreams are even a little entertaining to read.

P.S. the only shiting you will be doing on my doorstep is when my shotgun goes
off and blows the shit out of your head, dream about that.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 08:34:32 -0800 (PST)
From: Mango <wallmr@whitman.edu>
Subject: Help!!! I NEED TO GET TO SEATTLE!!!

Dear Chair-Denizens...
	I'm in quite a predicament. I'm over here in Walla Walla (WA) with
two tix to the BFF Show in Seattle Feb 5th, and the person who was going
with me and driving me isn't going to be able to make it. Is anyone going
to be leaving from around this area (Tri-Cities, Spokane, whatever) what
can give me a ride, help me out, etc. ? Email me and we'll discuss
specifics. PLEASE HELP!!!
					  Max

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 17:09:28 +0000 (GMT)
From: ER Burningham <u7g83@ugg.keele.ac.uk>
Subject: what air play?

eveyone keeps complaining about new fans that have subscribed because of
hearing brick on the radio loads. i can claim to definitely not be one of
these - i've only heard bff on the radio about once in my life - does anyone
else in the uk have this problem?

to whoever wanted to know about the hidden track on weaea itis just some of
their mates mucking about i think - "here's your hidden track man, right
here. Ben Folds is a f***ing asshole" - i'm inclined to disagree i have to
say - i met him and he was a laugh & a really nice bloke.

wouldn't it be cool if bff would release a video with all their music videos
on it & soem live shows etc. has this already happened??

by the way are there any decent posters out there somewhgere waiting to be
bought by an adoring fan???

on the movie soundtrack theme, i don't know about bad idea but i know that
"the ultimate sacrifice" was used in "interview with the vampire" - the bit
where louis is burning down the theatre(brad pitt, that is) - it's very
cool.
love
mad em
p.s do we have any choice but to know about the spice girls???

"the hour aproacheth...."

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 17:14:44 +0000 (GMT)
From: ER Burningham <u7g83@ugg.keele.ac.uk>
Subject: singles

thanks for the info, richrd - can't wait to get brick - does anyone have any
info about other singles in the uk??
thanks
mad em
"go ahead you can laugh all you want...."

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 17:22:35 +0000 (GMT)
From: ER Burningham <u7g83@ugg.keele.ac.uk>
Subject: bad reviews

just a bitch to all the bad reviews that were printed about NBP - what were
they on about? ok i admit it's a fan cd really, but the one in NME was
really bitchy - i think the woman that wrote it had PMT or something...
sorry, i hate it when blokes say that....
anyway stuff all the crappy reviews i love NBP and am a loyal fan, so there.
bye

mad em

"no supper for you.."

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 12:33:02 -0400
From: "Cheryl" <010203@hillstrath.on.ca>
Subject: anybody got extra tickets to Toronto show???

I know, I know it's a long shot but I really, REALLY want to go the
Toronto show if anyone has extra tickets please reply privately.
p.s I will pay lotas of money for them

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Jan 98 13:49:27 EST
From: "Emily Durand" <edurand@nunet.neu.edu>
Subject: yet another crappy critic, and prom

Two items of note, says I:

1) Just so I can elicit another round of hostile anti-anti-music-review
posts, let me complain just a little about NBP getting the big thumbs down
from the Boston Globe, whihch is ironic because it was their review of WAEA
that made me the rabid fan I am today.  Speaking of "rabid fan," that is the
only person, according to Joan the reviewer, who would be interested in
listening to NBP (besides the guys' moms), which she thinks is an unnecessary
collection of poor quality stuff (except EW, T&M, and Emmaline, which she
liked).  SIMM, she writes, is "superfluous."  GASP!  As the WAEA cover art
says, \/\/.

2) RE: FREE CARDS OF NBP PICS AT TOWER RECORDS IN PORTLAND:  Hey! No fair!
Tower here only has Spice Girls, Bush (ick!) and various products...hmmm, as
if Bush and the Spice Girls aren't products themselves...anyway, I keep
checking their rack in vain, send me one!  >;)

Oh and this "Brick" as prom song thing MUST be stopped, literally anything
would be less horrifying than that, how about that Puff Daddy song about
Biggie Smalls, or that jail rape song by Sublime, or if BF5 must be involved
try SFTD and it'll be funny.....OTOH, how much would I love some cheesy prom
glass with "Eastdale High School Prom, Class of '98, 'Brick'" etched on the
side?   What little graphic would the prom committee choose to go on it, like
two people in a car?  A brick spalshing into the ocean?  A little guy
drowning?  Hmmm, maybe this wasn't such a bad idea...

And finally, a radio station here in Boston, 92.5, accidentally said, "That
last song is from Ben Folds Five, it's called Brisk."

Keep up the struggle, em	"I didn't hit you, I lightly slapped you."
	                                             --- F. Bueller

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 14:18:22 -0500
From: Mike Dixon <101750.2237@compuserve.com>
Subject: hey i am soon going to meet them yeah

hey everyone
 if any one is interested ben folds are playing at GLASTONBURY again this
year  (last year they were cancelled cos the stage sunk)   so i guess i'll
see you all there   sorry america   we'll tell you what its like  they are
also playing on TFI FRIDAY in feb   and BRICK is realeased on march 9th in
uk
unfortunateky there are no uk gigs until glastonbury which should be pretty
fucking cool
oh yeah and to FHudet z  bad idea is from the film the truth about cats and
dogs (read the sleave of naked baby photos) which by the way is on tv sky
movies this saturday  wahey  look at for the song!
SEE YA'LL   MARINA

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 14:29:58 -0500
From: cambot@juno.com
Subject: Heed this warning

>Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 15:41:54 EST
>From: FHudetz <FHudetz@aol.com>
>Subject: hanson rules, BF5 drools

<<   And hanson are actually boys, amazingly enough. >>
>This is true...believe me it's true.  I've got proof(wink-wink).
>Tommy Nuttsax

What the hell was that? Have you any idea of how much flaming you have
brought upon yourself, Mr. Nuttsax (or maybe people were wise enough to
not care)? I am only posting in dire concern of you. Take care & change
your last name. you know, people will probably um.... nevermind.

Steve!

Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 13:35:17 -0600
From: "alisha emmett" <aemmett@trinity.edu>
Subject: Another NBP Review

Here's what my school newspaper had to say about NBP:

Geeks meet hipsters, well, sort of
	--Keith Harrison  (credit where credit is due)

	Having a new disc from the alterna-dweebs in piano pantywaist Ben Folds
land in record stores must be some sadistic record biz prank, a rock'n'roll
answer to "Revenge of the Nerds."  It's almost enough to make a person long
for a new Pantera disc.  Almost, but not quite.
	Anyway, Ben Folds stands as proof that some segment of every generation
apparently clamors for an utterly obvious piano man in the mold of Billy
Joel or Elton John;  to double his appeal, Folds adds geek-pride vocals in
the manner of the excruciating Todd Rundgren.
	The disc is an odds'sods collection from the three-person Ben Folds Five,
and on opening tracks such as "Jackson Cannery" it shows that Folds does
indeed possess some pop smarts.  But the overwhelming bulk of this live or
previously unreleased material simply grates.
	Among the lowlights are lame attempts at spoofing two groups that are ripe
for a serious skewering: gangsta rappers and clad-in-black hipsters.
Folds' funk-impaired rap goes on too long, and he seems to be getting a
little too much juvenile glee from saying naughty words.
	And the hipster attack comes off sounding so smarmy, uninspired and geeky,
that [I] think the "in crowd" was right to ostracize him back in high
school.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.  Freedom and the press and all of
that good stuff.
Just thought I'd share.
alishACEmmett

P.S.  The article only got one star and was under a review of 'Sevens' by
Garth Brooks which got three stars out of four.  You know you're in Texas
when...

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 16:20:03 EST
From: Rocketno8@aol.com
Subject: gershwin reference

the gershwin reference isn't in "underground," it's in "Philosophy."

"selfless" would make a good single too, but i don't think it would be good in
my opinion to release two consecutive ballads. what they need now is to kick
some ass with SFTD(btw, my friend steve knows the piano part to this and i
play drums and my brother plays bass, so you can count us in on the Armchair
cover/tribute compilation. it might be fun.) i don't want them to get pegged
as some kinda "sissy music for sissies." dammit, they're "punk rock for
sissies!"
dr.rocket
p.s."Breakfast Of Champions" is an amazing book, but i think it's too
nonlinear to be made into a movie. still, i'll go see it when it comes out.
"Factionalization in music is cosmologically sound"-Thurston Moore

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 13:22:54 -0800 (PST)
From: bwjones <bwjones@scf-fs.usc.edu>
Subject: the prankster revealed

Remember those nasty rumors about Ben that were started a few weeks ago?
Remember the stir that was caused when it was rumored that Ben was caught
kissing another man backstage at one of his shows?  Remember how ludicrous
it seemed that a fellow fan was able to go backstage and smoke crack with
Ben?  Well, the perpetrator of these elaborate hoaxes is a fellow by the
name of Matt Hutaff.  His email address is:

hutaff@scf.usc.edu

I think everyone on the Armchair should send Matt an email (short or long,
it doesn't really matter) and let him know just how much we appreciated
his clever use of humor at our expense.

Brant Jones