Issue #801 - February 3, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest   Tuesday, February 3 1998   Volume 01 : Number 801

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I
will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

DO NOT REPLY TO OFF-TOPIC OR INSULTING MESSAGES!!!
   So many people are complaining about how much space these useless
posts are occupying, without realizing that they are adding to the
problem by quoting or replying to these messages themselves.
   Posts with no BFF content are off topic. So are posts of a moderating
nature (that's my job). Usually I will send a gentle reminder to
those who violate these rules, but lately it just seems to go on
and on. As a result, please be aware that you may find yourself
unsubscribed without warning if you post an off-topic message.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    rating system
    my classification
    caroline contest and loveline
    Now I sit here, broken hearted....
    To any Clemson people here...
    evaporated.
    cd singles from first album (want em?)
    uh...my first post and stuff
    oh ya.bff name?
    help me out
    Love(line) makes the world go round. . .
    irony and class struggles
    HELP HELP HELP.....  I NEED Chicago tickets!!!!!!!  PLEASE HELP!!!
    Never Cool in School T..

Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 20:29:07 -0600 (CST)
From: "Adam 'DeLicious' DeLisse" <adeliss@comp.uark.edu>
Subject: rating system

I don't know about this rating system.  I'm not sure what I am.  I've been
listening and loving the boys for 2.5 years now (at least), so does that
make me an Uncle Plastic Bitch????  But I don't own any RARE albums or
t-shirts cause I was just in high school at the time I got into them.  I'm
not sure this rating system is fairly based, cause I've been on the
Armchair since at least issue 80, and now we're at issue 800, putting me
here longer than probably 95% of you, yet I would freely loan my Jackson
Cannery 7" to someone who wanted to borrow it (if I had one).  I don't
think this rating system should be based on how fanatical and crazy and
sexually attracted to the band you are, but about what period in time you
picked up on them.  I take pride in the fact that I have listened to them
since only a couple months after their first album was released (not WAEA
for all you Brickheads or whatever you are called).  I also take pride in
that I haven't spent hundreds of dollars to take road trips of hundreds of
miles to go see them and wait for them to come closer.  I don't know.
Maybe I fit into a new category.  We could call it the Last Polka-ists or
something; I don't care.  just put me in a category where the loyal fans
hang out and listen to music, get excited when they hear the band whether
it's brick on the radio for the billionth time (i still get excited) or
whether it's the CD you just put in (that first note gets me every time).
I don't know...it just had me thinking.

Adam DeLisse
					.
				       / \
				      / V \
				     /     \
				    / V V V \
				   /   V V   \
				  / V   V   V \
				 /             \
				/ V V V V V V V \
			       /   V V V V V V   \
			      / V   V V V V V   V \
			     /       V V V V       \
			    / V V V   V V V   V V V \
			   /   V V     V V     V V   \
			  / V   V   V   V   V   V   V \
			 /____________________________ \

   ...............and people say there is no beauty in math..............

------------------------------

Date: Mon,  2 Feb 1998 21:33:51, -0500
From: PFJH05D@prodigy.com (MISS JESSICA R BORASH)
Subject: my classification

i am somewhere between a Walter and an Emaline.  so i have to thank
whoever wrote htat for being so friggin SMART.
jeskuh =>

being awake never felt like this before

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 21:34:55 EST
From: LawneGirl@aol.com
Subject: caroline contest and loveline

i won the first prize in the contest and this is what i got: nbp, the summer
ep, an autographed laminated article thing with the boys walking on the moon
or something, and 4 of the exact same promo poster from epic records.  it just
says the band name.

also...does anyone know what night they'll be on loveline?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 21:35:44 -0500 (EST)
From: Eric Patton <shirak@umich.edu>
Subject: Now I sit here, broken hearted....

	Well, boys and girls, my e-mails starting to get flooded, so I
must say my time on the Armchair must come to an end. I know some of the
younger wankers on here are saying, "But why, Eric? We have such
scintillating conversations about how Ben is gay, and arguing over the
meaning to Brick for the ten-millionth time!" Well, as much as I enjoy it,
I'm going to seek greener pastures, where the conversation is good, the
people are actually intelligent, and the jokes are funny. Take care,
Frank. You, I'll miss. Laters!

ERIC
	"Fill your glass three fourths of the way with gin. Look at the
vermouth from across the room. Drink."
				-Winston Churchill, on preparing a Martini

Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 22:20:06 -0500
From: Adam Tyner <ctyner@CLEMSON.EDU>
Subject: To any Clemson people here...

The video for "Brick" is one of the choices on the video kiosk in the
Schilleter (sp?) dining hall at Clemson University.  I think it's a pretty
awful video, but it's nice to hear something NOT by Mary J. Blige on the
kiosk while eating breakfast.  ;)

- -Adam
/----=========================================================----\
             http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/
The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more!
   Demented music list admin           O-         MiSTie #67,326

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 20:01:53 -0800
From: Janet <LemonDrp@pacbell.net>
Subject: evaporated.

Hi.
Has anyone ever heard of or seen the guys do "Evaporated" at shows?  I
don't think I recall them ever doing so.
If not, does anyone know why?
It's a such a great song, I hope they do it this tour.

Janet.
- --
My Mom Says I'm Cool.  http://members.tripod.com/~peachfish/sparkie.htm

My Heroes I Confess.  http://members.tripod.com/~peachfish/BenFoldsFive/

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 23:06:01 -0500 (EST)
From: Alexander Timin <ajt2911@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Subject: cd singles from first album (want em?)

I have ended up with one (1) extra copy of each of these 3 cd singles from
the first album:

Underground #1
Underground #2
Where's Summer B?

I would like to trade these for any of the cd singles from Whatever & Ever
(except the Battle of... singles, since I have them already).

Email me off the list if you are interested in a trade.

Alex Timin
ajt2911@garnet.acns.fsu.edu
www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palladium/9625/tradelist.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 04:30:51 +0000
From: Nancy Bennett <n.bennett@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: uh...my first post and stuff

hey everyone...first i would just like to say to all those who have been a
BFF fan since 95, we rock!!!!! and BFF does deserve the popularity, but i
still wish they were not so big so i could feel special about talking about
a band no one knew of....second, to whoever wrote that song to the battle of
who could care less....that was pretty damn funny....i have to admit...3rd i
can't wait to see BFF live on valentines day in st.louis....is anyone here
going....cause i think it would be cool to meet some people....so if your
going....e-mail me.....well, i guess that's it....BFF rules forever
~Kristi~
   and what's this about a girl commiting suicide to Kate????

        "But i've got my philosophy"

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 04:33:52 +0000
From: Nancy Bennett <n.bennett@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: oh ya.bff name?

why is it Ben Folds Five.....and not three..i've been wondering since 95,
and never found out...does anyone know???
ok thanks...bye!! ~Kristi~

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 00:21:13 EST
From: AURELIUS17@aol.com
Subject: help me out

This is my first time posting.  I've been a fan for a while, and been on the
MA for about a month now.  I would like to get my hands on some bootlegs.  The
problem is I don't have anything to trade.  If someone could help me maybe we
could work something out.  Can't wait for the St. Louis show on the 14th (BBF
and Valentines Day what a combo)

Mark

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 00:17:06
From: "Hannah Kuhlmann" <kuhl0025@tc.umn.edu>
Subject: Love(line) makes the world go round. . .

OK, AAGH!!

I just got home and read my armchairs, about one minute after Loveline
finished.  So now I ask, please please please. . .

Who's got a tape of Loveline for me?!?

I'll trade ya whatever, boots or 2:1 if you've got my stuff already.  E-mail
me privately (obviously) - kuhl0025@tc.umn.edu -  and I'll set you up
**GOOD**, baby.

- -Hannah

Hannah Kuhlmann - kuhl0025@tc.umn.edu
**FLASHY BEN FOLDS FIVE WEBSITE** AT
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Cafe/1094/

Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 01:20:24 -0500 (EST)
From: Ginger Nance <gnance@email.unc.edu>
Subject: irony and class struggles

Howdy folks...

Did anyone else find it ironic that R2G2, our friendly Uncle Plastic Bitch
from #798, screwed up unsubscribing?  Oh, I love this silly little world!
For anyone who cares, I guess under our new class system I would be an
Emaline.  Cool.  Whoever wrote "Song for Chumps," you are a genius!  That
was freakin' hilarious.  I love how people on this list complain about all
the stupid stuff on the list, and threaten and rant and stuff, but that's
the way it is, because I'm reading the same crap on the other mailing
lists I subscribe to.  If I was a psych major, I'd offer an interpretation
but I'm not so I won't.  I'll simply offer a line from the Bard on what I
believe the mindset of most Armchairites is:  "I would you were as I would
have you be."  Sorry this is so low on BFF-related content, so I'm going
to add something related to end this post.  Anyone want to trade some
bootlegs?  I have about six tapes, and am looking for some new stuff.
E-mail me and we can exchange lists or whatever.  Bye!

Ginger :)

Ooooo  Ginger Nance
(   )  ginger_nance@unc.edu
 ) (   gnance@email.unc.edu
 (o)   http://www.unc.edu/~gnance

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 01:21:40 EST
From: SnchzLdScp@aol.com
Subject: HELP HELP HELP.....  I NEED Chicago tickets!!!!!!!  PLEASE HELP!!!

Dear Fellow Armchair Folk....
    Please!!!  I NEED your Help!!!  Yesterday I went to a ticketmaster dealer,
and found out the Chicago show is SOLD OUT!  And I NEED tickets!  So,
PLEASE... if you or anyone you know has 2 tickets to the show.. or if you know
how I can get tickets, please e-mail me!!!   Thank you SO much if you can
help!
                                                                   -Mandy:)

Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 01:41:00 EST
From: Mansuetude@aol.com
Subject: Never Cool in School T..

I actually got that tshirt in an Ex-Large off of the page after it first
changed to medium, I was so happy!  Now I wear it all the time.  The looks I
get at school are priceless!  I hate it when the people you hate most read it
over and over again saying "thats true!".  I agree with them though!

Kris was never cool in school.  I'm sure you don't remember him. (who tf is
he?)