Issue #815 - February 10, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest   Tuesday, February 10 1998   Volume 01 : Number 815

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

DO NOT REPLY TO OFF-TOPIC OR INSULTING MESSAGES!!!
   So many people are complaining about how much space these useless
posts are occupying, without realizing that they are adding to the
problem by quoting or replying to these messages themselves.
   Posts with no BFF content are off topic. So are posts of a moderating
nature (that's my job). Usually I will send a gentle reminder to
those who violate these rules, but lately it just seems to go on
and on. As a result, please be aware that you may find yourself
unsubscribed without warning if you post an off-topic message.

BACK ON SCHEDULE
   The problem has been fixed and digests should once again be going out
daily on schedule.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    BFF in CMJ explained
    Thanks and TONIGHT IS THE NIGHT
    lounge-a-palooza & the oh-so-never-available songbook
    No Class
    Ben Folds Does Hollywood
    "Edward A. Weinstein"
    Summer B lyrics, Bootleg search, and the National Spelling Bee
    my weekly post
    Brick Radio Single
    DAT of Palace
    CMJ - Read carefully now!!
    Real Transcriptions

Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 09:35:33 -0400
From: C &P Mrizek <galileo@mindspring.com>
Subject: BFF in CMJ explained

Okay.  Here's how it is.

The CMJ magazine from February 1998 has Goldie on the cover.  It also
has Goldie, Sublime, Bruce Cockburn (great artist), et cetera on the
cd.  But no BFF.  However, the March of 1998 issue does have Ben Folds
Five on the cover.  The cd in the March issue starts off with Smoke
(live).  No fooling.  If it hasn't hit yer fave newsstand yet, it'll
prolly be der t'morrow.  Enjoy.  Now, how the hell I found this before
some of you more rabid fanatics, I do not know...

Discuss and write 2,500 words on the subject by Thursday.

Pat

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 07:44:50 -0700
From: Stacy Lynn Flatt <stacyf@u.arizona.edu>
Subject: Thanks and TONIGHT IS THE NIGHT

Hey all, Just like to say thanks for those of y'all who gave me the scoop
on CMJ.  We do get the industry version, and the other night I went out and
by luck, there were some copies of the non industry version.  Great
article!  Cool pics!  And I'm listening to Smoke now.  Very cool.  I like
the strings A LOT.

And.... Tonight is the night!!!!  Monday, Feb 9, 1998 will forever be
rememberd for me as the night I first saw Ben Folds Five live.  I am
thoughly thrilled.  I'll give you a review of the show when I come home
tommorow.

Stacy

I have faith that there's a soul out there that's leading me around.  I
wonder if she knows which way is down.

			--Ben Folds Five "Evaporated"

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Feb 1998 20:58:02 -0500
From: jen chen <pickle@bellatlantic.net>
Subject: lounge-a-palooza & the oh-so-never-available songbook

if there are people out there who don't have the lounge-a-palooza CD, go
out and get it NOW.  i mean it.  it absolutely kicks hiney.  now to the
real purpose of my post...

is there a story behind bff's reason of doing "she don't use jelly" for
this comp?  or did ben just wake up one day and say, "i want to do a
lounge version of flaming lips' "she don't use jelly" for the
lounge-a-palooza comp"?  doesn't seem very likely that he would just
pull that out of his butt...

by the way, "miniskirt" has to be the best song on that comp.... after
"she don't use jelly" of course.  of *course*!

now to the songbook....  is this book easy?  i can figure out the chords
fairly well enough to satisfy myself, but all of ben's embellishments
drive me up tall walls trying to figure them out.  i've been playing the
piano since i was 5 (i'm 17 now), so would this book be able to
challenge my piano skills?  hope so!  ...and i'm still waiting for the
next printing...

one more thing... someone MUST have ONE ticket to the hammerstein
ballroom show in NYC!  you really don't understand...i'm willing to go
by MYSELF!  i wanted to go see them last year, but some school thing i
had to do kept me from going.  and then this year, they sold out SO
quickly!!!!!  since when bff's shows sell out so fast??!!  sigh...

jen chen

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 10:35:39 -0500
From: Jennifer Spinner <JSPINNER@CAHNERS.COM>
Subject: No Class

This whole classification thing is getting out of hand. First of all,
if we banned Brickheads, the BF5 fan base wouldn't grow at all.
That's like kicking the acorns out of the forest because they're
smaller than the oaks. We want the little guys to grow into big
mighty BF5 afficionados (I refuse the term Uncle Plastic
Bitch--although, admittedly, that's a pretty kick-ass moniker).
Second, this whole caste system is permeated by an unsavory elitism,
which I think the band members themselves would be turned off by. Ben
and Robert and Darren are down to earth, guys you could see yourself
drinking cheap beer with and hanging out. They're not stuck-up snobby
rock poseurs who expect their fans to bow down before them. And
lastly, this ranking system misses the whole point of the spirit of
Ben Folds Five: The Music. Duh. It's music, not Dianetics, so let's
cut this excessive Rock Star Worship before L. Ron Hubbard strikes us
all down for being idolators.
Thanks. Sorry for the soapbox, but I gotta be me. Plus, I'm
procrastinating, because I don't feel like working yet.
This is unrelated: I hate Alana Davis. She stole "32 Flavors" from
Ani DiFranco, who could kick her ass in a bar fight. Go buy the CD
"Not  A Pretty Girl" (right after you buy NPB, of course.
Thanks, and God Bless.
Spin
Who needs the Kwik-E-Mart?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 14:16:22 EST
From: GaritRN@aol.com
Subject: Ben Folds Does Hollywood

Hi there again,

Tonight I saw Ben Folds Five at the Palace in lovely (but wet) Hollywood, CA.
I got there super-duper early, thinking they'd open doors an hour earlier than
they did.  Oh well.  Bunches of internet folks were there, including dan and
jish from #tmbg IRC, janet (the dam japanese girl) and adam from the armchair.
marianne was there too.  this guy who kept peeking in soundcheck said this
girl named christine kept shouting at ben and saying "ben! it's me christine!
remember me?"  more on her later.  the mentally challenged security people
made the whole line take 5 steps backwards.  It wasn't choreographed well,
needless to say.  Anyway, since I was early I got to be right up front in the
middle.  The ideal spot, I must say.  I couldn't spot any celebrities since I
was too far from the VIP section.  So don't hold back.  who was there?  who
was there? =)

A band led by a bald man named Robbie Fulks was there, an alternative country
band.  Tolerable, but don't expect me to rush out and buy their CDs. It's
country for gosh sakes. a four piece band.  Robbie plays acoustic guitar,
there's a lead guitar, 4 string bass and drums.....

A chick from the Kevin and Bean KROQ morning show and a white Jamaican guy
came out and did the "they'll be out in a few minutes" thing.  Ben, Rob, and
Darren came out at 10:15.  Ben was wearing his usual long sleeve cotton shirt
and brown cords with the 2 holes in the right pant leg.  Red low top converse
shoes.  Darren wore a red long-sleeved shirt, and Rob wore a Flaming Lips T-
shirt.  Obviously not to foreshadow a performance of Jelly.  On to the
annotated setlist:

- -Rob says "this goes out to carl wesley"
Missing the War
Battle of Who Could Careless
- -Ben says "it's good to be back in l.a.  i thought everyone would be p'd off
cause of the rain but you're in a good mood.  You Endeavor to Persevere."
creepy!
Philosophy
- -Ben does the trademark stool-to-piano throw but fails to catch it on the way
back.  -He does it again so he could get the "two points."  stubborn man!
- -"This song is a breakup song.  It may be the one you think it is."
It's called "sorry we broke up"

sorry we broke up
sorry we broke up
sorry we broke up
i guess that i f'd up
sorry we broke up baby
amen!
Selfless, Cold, and Composed
DOCTOR Peeeezer
- -Ben-"That'll go out to Gary who signed my underwear.  This next song is a
breakup song."
- -then Ben does a BeeGees sort of thing - "i'm a maan who would fight..."
Last Polka
- -at the end Ben strums the piano strings, a bit different for this particular
track
- -Ben - "You feeling good?  That's a high ratio of people who feel good to
people who don't feel good.  And I feel good about that."
Steven's Last Night in Town
- -Ben-This song was inspired by a story in the newspaper.  This couple was
arguing, she threw him on the hood, slammed on the brakes and killed him.
This song is called All Is Fair
- -Ben-"I'm gonna count that as a breakup song based on the assumption that if
he 'd known she'd drove into traffic and killed him, he would have probably
broken up with her."
Brick
Kate
Jacson Canary (japanese spelling)
- -a cool improv song, Disco Diva style called "The 100% Love Attraction"  Ben
sings lead.

this is how, this is how
first you turn the stereo
this you turn off the lights
then i get five of my best friends
playing hot stuff on the radio
everybody's gonna love 100%
this is how, this is how
Song for the Dumped - slightly shorter version than the one they've been
doing...
- -Ben-"That was a breakup song."
- -Ben-"This song is a release on Naked Baby Photos.  A mix of old sh*t."
Eddie Walker, This is Your Life!!!
Emaline
- -A bunch of requests spit out and Ben calmly states, "We know what we're
doing."
One Angry Dwarf
Rob finally speaks up-We were making our last record and we thought it was the
greatest in the world.  This is probably one of our favorite songs and this
song is called Smoke
- -Ben-"We're from North Carolina.  Playing Los Angeles can be kinda scary."
- -Rob-"I come from Tire Chain North Carolina!" then proceeds to another improv
song.

Rob-Tire chain tire chain
Bring me back home
Ben-I'll whoop your as*

- -Rob-"Actually I'm from Black Lung North Carolina."
- -Ben-"I guess this should go out to Michael who gave us a gift."
Underground - Darren takes his usual spot in the middle.  He has a weird
squiggly forehead vein on his right temple.  Rob onces again becomes the Disco
Diva and we waved our hands in the air.
- -encore-
- -Ben-"This isn't really a breakup song.  This is more of a contemplating
quitting song.  With Mohammed Ali and howard cosell."
Boxing - Both Rob and Darren enjoy illegal cigarrettes during their "break."
(smoking in bars and clubs is now illegal in L.A.)
Uncle Walter!!!!
The Big Long Rock Ending - Ben reads a crumpled note carefully placed on his
piano.  It's from a wacky chick named Christine, the same one I mentioned at
the beginning of this extremely long post.  He begins to sing her girly
scribings.
"Hi, my name is Christine.  Do you remember me?  I was at the San Francisco
show. (dedicated fan I thought)  Can I have backstage passes?  Right after the
show one of the regular roadies (the blond one) hands Christine two cherished
orange bands.  Ben starts off on their usual metal rock ending.  But then he
goes off on a tangent.  First, he pulls down his pants, revealing his liking
for cotton plaid boxers.  Then he puts his pants back on  and starts to
unbutton his shirt.  Ben is an "outie" by the way.  The Palace has giant
speakers on both sides of the stage.  Ben climbs all the way up the left side
and throws his stool at the piano, hitting the keyboard just right.

So there you have it.  My fourth BFF show and possibly their first 100 minute
set.  Lots of fun improv songs and and an extra long Big Rock ending.  Not bad
a time spent for a Sunday evening.  On to Phoenix!  (i wish)

Yes, yes I did tape the show with my sony stereo-corder, right up front in the
middle. Turned out great, except the sound was a bit too echooy. email for
trades.

Thanks for reading!

Larry

http://members.aol.com/CButchers - Candy Butchers page

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 13:52:55 -0800
From: "Kamp, Marcus S" <Marcus.Kamp@PSS.Boeing.com>
Subject: "Edward A. Weinstein"

Relax!!!  Sorry not all of us can be poseurs...oops, I mean cool enough
to own every bootleg BFF's ever done.  Perhaps you should clarify your
posts while your posting them instead of getting all defensive when
someone calls you on something.  Frank, wasn't there something about
emailing each other w/our comments instead of clogging up the
already-overstuffed Armchair w/our crowing & self-congratulating?  Well,
just goes to show that some people love themselves, their bootleg
collection, and their opinions just a wee tad too much.  That's about
the equivalent of leaving a BFF show right after Brick.  I'm quite sure
you'd never do that, Edward, because I know you're a much better fan
than I.  Oh, God of fandom, can you ever forgive me for having the
audacity to question you & your vast knowledge?!
Oh yeah, and I'm unsubscribing.  Herr Weinstein, you have finally sold
me on the idea that this list has turned into a bunch of pufters!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 17:18:14 EST
From: Chemweasel@aol.com
Subject: Summer B lyrics, Bootleg search, and the National Spelling Bee

Rebby,

It sounds to me like he says "We'll smoke a bowl with Kate" or maybe it's with
"Cake". Thanks for bringing it to our collective attention though, I never
noticed it before.

On another note, I am in search of good quality bootlegs, especially but not
limited to, Cincinnati or Cleveland shows. I have a few bits of paraphenalia
to trade. I also have a good connection to singles and imports. Any help is
greatly appreciated. Email me off the list if you think you can help.

Just to let you all what a loser I am, I was watching the finals of the
National spelling bee the other day and guess what the final bee winning word
was? Coterie! Thanks to Ben for expanding my vocabulary.  Well, I'm off to
smoke a bowl with Kate. Later

Brandon

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 17:22:20 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt <jbrandt@kent.edu>
Subject: my weekly post

Two songs i'd like to see BFF cover: "You Never Give me your Money" by the
Beatles (it has all sorts of elements to it) and Peter Gabriel's
"Sledgehammer" because i think robert could sing it and do some sort of
dance :)

ATTN: CARLY CLUTTERBUCK from Australia, DAN from LAKEWOOD OH, and the guy
who wanted to trade me 2 SINGLES FOR A LIVE VIDEO....please e-mail me. My
disk got trashed and i lost all your addys. If you know these people,
please send me their addresses.

I think that the part about the monitors in "Fannie packs" reminds me of
Frank Zappa.

i had something else to say but i forgot, so nevermind.
jess
what is brick about?

"I wish I was a messanger and all the news was good"-Pearl Jam
Visit Cousin Jess's World Wide Mess at
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Backstage/6814

Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 18:11:56 EST
From: MeandMrRay@aol.com
Subject: Brick Radio Single

Hello Everyone,
         I just got my hands on 7 copies of the Brick radio single. Its
features the album version, and the single mix (remixed by Caleb Southern, who
both produced and mixed the first record). I'm looking to trade these for
other Ben Folds Five related items that I dont allready have. (Bootlegs,
posters, etc...) or for bootlegs of other great bands (see my web page at
<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/meandmrray/list.html">MeandMrRay's Tape List
</A> or http://members.aol.com/meandmrray/list.html to find out what bands I'm
interested in). I'd like to get around two tapes per single, and they will go
to the 7 best offers. these singles have a nifty "double gatefold"
package...and artwork resembling the import Brick singles. Wanna make me an
offer? Email me at MeandMrRay@aol.com  and please put "Brick Single" (or
something similar in the subject heading) so I can seperate these offers from
my other email. I also have a couple promo only Horde tour samplers that
feature an album track each, by the artists on the tour. Email me for more
details.

Thanks,

Greg.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 15:45:34 -0700
From: plpalmer@ix.netcom.com
Subject: DAT of Palace

I sat in the first row of the Balcony.  I saw a guy who was very obvious
about his taping on the floor.  He had a huge mike and was holding it
above the crowd.  No one bothered him the entire show.  So, I guess the
Palace's no taping policy was not that strict.

Peter

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 15:52:21 PST
From: "joanna walker" <joannawalker@hotmail.com>
Subject: CMJ - Read carefully now!!

OK ya'll. This is the definitive info. on CMJ. They are featured in the
March, 1998 issue which is NOT at newsstands yet. It has only been sent
to subscribers so far. So wait at least another week before you look for
it at bookstores, etc. If you absolutely cannot find it, I have the
number for the CMJ back issues dept. E-mail me if you live in a rural
area or something, and can't find it. I'll get the number for you so you
can order it. OK? Everybody happy?

Date: Mon, 9 Feb 98 16:18 PST
From: bmrosen@pixar.com (Brian Rosen)
Subject: Real Transcriptions

	Hey folks (new to the list, just saw them in concert, thought they were
great, liked them for a while, yadda yadda yadda...)

	Now to the point.  I've looked through the archives and seen some
references to the simplified published sheet music and found some fake book
chord transcriptions, but what I haven't found is real note for note
transcriptions of the recorded tunes.  I don't mean "this chord for 2 measures
and then this chord for 4", I mean 2 staves for the piano, one for the bass,
one for the main voice, and another for the vocal harmonies, the full deal.
 I'm wondering if there are any other folks out there with real piano chops and
some time on their hands who'd be interested in notating this stuff to share,
and enjoy.   I've sketched out most of "One Angry Dwarf", but my time is
limited.  Has anyone else embarked on such a mission.

- --
|   Brian Rosen        | "That's the law around here, you gots to wear your|
|   Pixar              |  	sunglasses.  So you can feel cool.         |
|   bmrosen@pixar.com  |                     _DIG_?"                       |