Issue #822 - February 13, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest   Friday, February 13 1998   Volume 01 : Number 822

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

I LOST MY INBOX :(
   A problem with my mail server caused my inbox to get trashed. If you
tried sending mail to maynard@oeonline.com in the last couple days,
please resend. Thanks! - Frank

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    I HAVE EXTRA PHILLY TIX....CMJ, too
    Philosophy Chords
    Robert
    I'm Sorry
    Bones and bowls
    Dallas show
    Getting rid of SPAM
    Re: Summer B lyrics
    The Show in Phoenix, AZ
    Club Caprice
    Summer B lyrics
    MURDER! INTRIGUE! BEN FOLDS!
    she don't use cheese, either
    Channel one
    She don't use jelly - and more...

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 18:48:01 EST
From: Curt587621@aol.com
Subject: I HAVE EXTRA PHILLY TIX....CMJ, too

i have two extra philly tix...the first person to e mail me will get
them...only charging $40 for both....lucky for an armchairer and a friend that
two of my friends backed out......
about cmj....my friend has been getting this mag for two years....anyways...he
told me about it on friday..i went to the store and got it saturday....i don't
know why everyone has to wait...whatever
curt

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 16:31:12 EST
From: Chemweasel@aol.com
Subject: Philosophy Chords

Can someone please send me the chord progression to Philosophy? I'm going to
do it as part of an acoustic duo thing and I'm too lazy to figure it out on
guitar. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Brandon

ps: I've yet to hear from anyone with some bootlegs, are we all a bunch of
stingy bastards or what?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 18:40:02 EST
From: BlueJellow@aol.com
Subject: Robert

Ok, lets rack our brains!!!! If Hard-Candy (or me, for instance) donned a new
color of Nail Polish "Robert Sledge" what color would it be?

Love and BFF
Lucy *Emaline*

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 09:11:53 EST
From: toadaholic@juno.com (Toad Princess B)
Subject: I'm Sorry

I just want to send out an apology to everyone for jumping down their
throats about the whole crazy classification system. I know the quote I
chose to snip & use was written sarcastically but it just was also so
true of many posts that I have read that are actually peoples opinions
for real. I tried to unsubscribe but just couldn't let myself do it...my
love for BF5 took over. Once again, I apologize to all. I got upset
because a long time ago this same sort of thing went on in the Toad the
Wet Sprocket List Serv with people classifing others as " All I Wanters"
and it started a flame war. I'm still here with you, still enjoy reading
the digest and still listening to BF5. ... so there..I am not dumping you
and no..you can not have your black T shirt back!!

Toad Princess B.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 18:03:57 EST
From: Angrydwarf@aol.com
Subject: Bones and bowls

<<B) The line is, I believe, "Smoke a bowl with CALEB", as in Caleb
Southern, who produces the band.

it sounds more like....smoked a BONE
but I do agree with the Caleb and not Kate reference

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 20:03:10 -0500 (EST)
From: SweetyWon@aol.com
Subject: Dallas show

Okay,  I'm asking one last time, who's going to the Dallas show?  E-Mail me &
let me know!!!

Deidre

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 15:26:01 -0500
From: cambot@juno.com
Subject: Getting rid of SPAM

Is there anything we can do to rid purselves of this crap from loading up
our beloved Armchair? I just found myself scrolling down for about 3
minutes to see if there were anymore articles after that "Here is the
information that you requested" article, which I did not request. Boy, do
I hate those things.

Steve!

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 15:55:48 EST
From: Elle2791@aol.com
Subject: Re: Summer B lyrics

<< A) Ben did not know Kate when he wrote Summer B.; their first date was a
 radio show he was doing to promote the already-released self titled
 album.

 B) The line is, I believe, "Smoke a bowl with CALEB", as in Caleb
 Southern, who produces the band.

Ok, fine, I stand corrected on the Kate bit . . . I didn't know that, and I
was pretty much commenting on the smoking of the bowl . . . which, I am pretty
sure, means pot. (Unless, of course, he's into cooking dishware, but I think
we can safely assume that's wrong.) And no one really knows what he was
saying, so, you know . . .

Thanks for the melodia bit - I hadn't known that.

Not much else . . . Ben in Detroit on Monday . . . if anyone can get a copy of
the bootleg, send it along, will you? (I don't have much in the way of
trading, but, well, I'll see what I can do.)

Laura

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 10:23:53 -0700
From: Stacy Lynn Flatt <stacyf@u.arizona.edu>
Subject: The Show in Phoenix, AZ

I am resending this message because it came back to me... apologies if it
has already hit the list before.

Hey people...  I got back from the show a few hours ago...  this is what I
have to say... I apologize, it is a bit long, but hey, it is a reveiw of
the show.

The opening band sucked big time.  Some country band called uh... Robbie
Faulks.  yuck.  After them, I went off to the side when me and a friend
from flagstaff were going to meet.  He's cool, and all, and we talked and
stuff, and then we get nervous about loosing our places, so Me and Karissa
(the girl I went with) find JP and EJssica (2 of my friends that go to the
UA with me) again.  They are up near where Robert will be, and a couple
rows of people back.

After what seemed like an eternity,  The boys took the stage.  There was a
very small rush towards the stage in which, I got pushed up a few, so that
was cool.  IT was incredible... when I first saw them.  wow.  This was the
band I had waited all my life to see... this is *the* band for me, there is
no other.  The 1st song they played was called "Theme from Dr Pyser."
After that was Battle, then I believe Selfless... and then lots of stuff.
A fight broke out between some drunk bitch and someone, and the security
went to go check that out, which caused another small rush to the stage.
That was cool, I got closer.  but then some drunk bastard started pushing
people around, including me and Karissa..  Then the people behind and to
the side of me pshed back, and I was getting tossed around... I guess it
all worked out for th ebest though, cuz I ened up front center.

They played their set... it included some cover I had never heard before,
and Crosstown Traffic.  Robert sings that, very cool.  They did SFTD in
english, japense and german, and Robert took the amp thing, and hit it
against his palm.. cool noises resulted.. and Ben took the mike and hit it
agaisnt the strings in the piano.  Also cool.  They played Steven's, Dwarf,
Smoke, Kate, Cannery, and Eddie Walker to name a couple.  ehen EW came
on... I cheered and clapped... ok, so I was cheering and clapping, and
yelling and dancing the whole time.. anyway, I did it esp so with EW< but I
was the only one, it seemed.  No one else knew the song.  That song is
incredible live.  The ended the set with Underground.  Now this was cool...
Darren comes down and does his thing... then it was Roberts turn....  He
strikes a pose... the music goes disco...  He does some adlibbing, while
doing his best immationtion (damn! they didn't play that!!) of John
Travolta... and then, still disco dancing and singing, he does the "and now
its been ten years" part.  Hell ya, that was cool .  Other missing songs
were Alice Childress, Boxing, Evaporated, Fanny Packs, Video, Video killed
the radiostar, Emaline, Sports and Wine... etc...  They played over an
hour, like an hour and half to 2 hours, but it seemed far too short.  Of
course, they played brick and the audience flipped.  But, I don't think the
audience got that song.  Now, there were plenty of cool ST fans, but few
who knew the bands intricicies...  The girl next to me totally dug em
though, and me and her were jamming out.  Way cool.  Anyway, Underground
was the last song of their set... and after screaming their name for
forever and a half, they came out and did an encore that started with She
don't Use Jelly and ended with Uncle Walter.  Oh, yeah, and Ben had some
sort of stuffed doll that he sat onthe piano, and would occasionally move
around and stuff.  Itwas funny.

So, after the show, Karissa and I go and find Aaron (a friend from
flagstaff) again, we get our stuff and go outside and wait.  Aaron leaves,
but I am determined to wait the band out if it takes hours.  Aaron leaves
and not 2 minutes later, out comes Robert.  I go out there, shake his hand,
talk to him and stuff...   And he signs my CD.  He was really nice.  Then
comes Ben.  The first thing I do, is tell him about how he told me hi once
when I wasn't there (some friends saw Ben Folds Five and afterward met the
band, and told Ben and Darren about me and how I love them but had never
seen them live, and Ben told my friends "well tell her hi for me."), and
all that stuff, and I ened it by "I'm that girl!  And now I've seen you
live.  But I'm that girl you said hi to."  And he remembered (at least
pretended too, but I think he did!) and shook my hand, told me that he was
glad I made it and all, and signed my CD "Stacy (that girl) Ben Folds"
Then we talked about Australia, and how much I love him, and geez... what
else, oh, someone *had to ask* how he got the name, and he said how it was
just better sounding than BF3... and then he talked about how he makes up
stories, and I told him I liked the Glue Story the best... (on a radioshow,
he once said that they got the name because one day, they were building a
model Starship Enterprise, and were sniffing glue, and they seriously
thought there were 5 members in the band... the way he telss this story is
hilarous!!) and Ben was highly impressed that I knew this story.  Then I
talked about how all my friends think that I am going to ask him to marry
me, but I told him that he had Kate so I wasn't going to.  And we talked to
Robert about his shoes, and about a mutual friend that he and I have, and
about geez...  lots of stuff.. and then Darren came out, and he didn't
remember talking to my friend about how I had never seen them live, but he
said he was sure it happened, and signed my CD.  Oh, and I told them all
how much I love them, and how I can't say enough good things about them,
and Robert said "I think you already have.  Thank you so much."  And then
Karissa had to tell them how I was shaking at dinner and stuff...  and I
told them that I wasn't crzy, but just that they are so incredible.  They
were all very flattered.  And very nice, polite, very non-rock star.  very
cool.  a bit shy, even.  the other 2 went back in, but Robert stayed out a
bit, and I asked him about the lyrics in Missing the War.  You know the
"the shaking voice that tells him go still thinks he might, he knows he
wont"  I wondered if the shaking voice was him, or if it was the girl.  So,
me and Robert discussed this, and he seemed impressed about my thoughts on
the song.  It was way cool.  hehe

Well, that was the show... I guess...  um, was anyone else there?  Did
anyone tape it?  Anyone have any thoughts to add, a complete setlist maybe?
Well, it was the best night of my life.

Oh, and by the way...  I wore my cool in school tshirt...  Only one other
person there had one.  I heard people comment about it how, it is one of
the origional tshirts, how it is so cool, there were none of those when
they bought them...  I felt very very cool... and it dated me too... not as
a Brick fan, but as an origional from-the-first-single fan.  Shit yeah, its
cool!

If anyone was there, I was the girl, front center, cool in school tshirt,
blue plaid flannel around my waist, jeans, and my hair done in 2 braids.

Stacy
I have faith that there's a soul out there that's leading me around.  I
wonder if she knows which way is down.

			--Ben Folds Five "Evaporated"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 12:15:28 -0600 (CST)
From: bgcc@ix.netcom.com (ROBERT M GLAZER)
Subject: Club Caprice

   Hey, everyone!

   I've been lurking for a while, but I've finally got to speak up about
   something. I keep reading about all these BF5 shows that you all have
   been to, and I must mention the INCREDIBLE show that I went to. It was
   at a supper club called "Club Caprice" (formerly "The Strand") in Redondo
   Beach, CA. Un-friggin-believable. It's the only time I've seen them, and
   not to take anything away from the rest of your wonderful experiences, but
   I find it hard to believe that some of the shows at the larger venues could
   even COMPARE to a dinner show about 25 feet from the stage. And it was nice,
   because it was just before Ben & Co. started to get so HUGE.... so it wasn't
   overcrowded with jump-on-the-latest-hot-band-bandwagon geeks, just true fans.
   Just had to share.

   - Bob

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 13:43:49 EST
From: KellyRobot@aol.com
Subject: Summer B lyrics

> I always thought that the lyrics were "We'll smoke a bowl with Jay, Fly
>  away, and settle down" and all that.  Maybe he does say Kate.  Now you've
>  got me curious as well.
>
>  blb

Call me crazy, but I have always thought he says, "we'll smoke a bowl of
kale." A friend told me once that he had heard that it's kinda like smoking
banana peels (a lot of people think it gets you high, but it doesn't really).
And I'm not being sarcastic.

Kelly

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 15:45:43 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt <jbrandt@kent.edu>
Subject: MURDER! INTRIGUE! BEN FOLDS!

Recording Artist Dies in House Fire; Arson.

TWIN FALLS, IDAHO- The Chapel hill NC trio, Ben Folds Five will now be
called the Robert Sledge Seven after the lead singer and namesake, Ben
Folds, perished in a house fire late last night at his residence on
Mitchell Lane. The band was currently enjoying the success of their single
"For those of Y'all Who Wear Fannie Packs" Neighbor Emaline Jones saw the
Smoke rising from the artist's Brick abode last night around 10:30 PM. She
promptly called the fire department, who, since there is no fire department
in the city of Twin Falls, took almost 20 minutes for the neighboring
city's trucks to get there. Jones was tried to be reached, but she refused
to comment, being All Shook Up by the incident.
If you're totally stunned by this report, or want to read more of this
fascinating news event, go to my page and click on the "DEATH OF BEN FOLDS"
link.
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Backstage/6814

"I wish I was a messanger and all the news was good"-Pearl Jam
Visit Cousin Jess's World Wide Mess at
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Backstage/6814

Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 16:14:59 EST
From: Rocketno8@aol.com
Subject: she don't use cheese, either

thanks to all who have been divulging detailed descriptions of the recent
shows. i'm glad to hear they're still happily entertaining old fans as well as
the new ones. most of their headlining gigs(particularly since WAEA) have
averaged around 90 min., and some, like the Philly show in Nov. and apparently
also the Palace show go past the 100 min. mark and have lots of improvised
bits.

about Lounge-A-Palooza comp.:i got it a while back and it's not a bad
purchase. i still like the way they do "she don't use jelly" better live, but
this version is nice(btw, the string players on it, the Love Sponge Strings,
are not the same players as on HORDE and the CMJ "Smoke"). in reference to the
music they play on the PA before shows, the band do make the selections,and at
the Electric Factory last Nov. they played the Flaming Lips album
"Transmissions From the Sattelite Heart," and the first two numbers off of Jon
Spencer Blues Explosion's album "Extra Width." the "jelly" cover is a little
tongue-in-cheek, but Ben is a big Flaming Lips fan and he talked about their
new 4-disc album "Zaireeka" in Rolling Stone's "Raves" column. there are some
good things on L-A-P, among them Steve & Eydie singing "Black Hole
Sun"(although i prefer Cibo Matto's version) and the Combustible Edison
"Miniskirt."
- -dr.rocket
p.s.i feel bad about all the good folks bailing out on the Armchair. it's not
that bad, there are fewer b.s. posts than you make it seem.
"the only two things Paul Simon ever said to me were 'Where's Taj?,' because
he was looking for Taj Mahal, and 'Philadelphia is a good music town.'"-Ben

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 16:19:37 EST
From: Lglu@aol.com
Subject: Channel one

For anyone in high school who gets Whittle/Channel One...did you hear Fair on
the opening today?  I was pleasantly shocked from my daily conversation during
the broadcast to hear the oh-so-familier "buh-bah-buh....."  For anyone not in
HS, lucky you!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 98 00:50:39 +0100
From: Bengt Stenstr=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=f6m?= <bengt.stenstrom@swipnet.se>
Subject: She don't use jelly - and more...

I'd just like to know the story on the fabulous She don't use jelly.
Why is it labelled as the Flaming Lips?
Was it a one-off recording or were there other tracks recorded with
strings?

And where can I find the Kate/strings version?

Please get in touch with me if you're willing to sell me tapes of B-sides
etc.
I ain't got nothing to trade, but I'd be more than willing to purchase a
few tapes of rarities.

BENgt S, Sweden