Issue #830 - February 18, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest  Wednesday, February 18 1998  Volume 01 : Number 830

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

    Self-promotion
    120 Minutes delayed one hour
    Lyrics dispute...?
    Complete Piano Music.
    CMJ 1997 or 1998?
    Pontiac Review
    15 Feb @ Chicago
    St. Louis show
    Yeah, Ben Posters.

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 15:59:02 -0600
From: "Erik C. Lyons" <EPA8820@epa.state.il.us>
Subject: Self-promotion

I haven't done this in a while, but since I updated the main page, I thought
it would be okay to indulge....here goes.....

http://members.tripod.com/~elyons/ben_menu.htm

BF5 content.....

Saw them in STL and CHG. STL was lame compared to CHG. However,
sources close to me tell me that Ben's goldfish died that day, and he was
upset....look for a song about the event soon.....Also, Rob had bought a
new shirt and didn't want to sweat in it too much, as he had to wear it again
the next day in CHG....And Darren, well, he was dying to get off stage and
call his girlfriend (after all, it was Valentine's Day).....

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 17:11:56 EST
From: Rocketno8@aol.com
Subject: 120 Minutes delayed one hour

i know this is a small post but i thought it necassary to correct myself:next
sunday night's 120 Minutes will be on 1 hour later than usual at 1a.m. eastern
standard time. if you're not framiliar with the show's format, bald man Matt
Pinfield will do 4 or 5 interview segments with the band and show some
videos(hopefully "underground" and "uncle walter"!) in the first hour of the
show. the show used to have live performances in the studio but sadly nixed
them about a year ago. still, the boys always provide good interviews.
- -dr.rocket
"i got this great idea/why don't we pitch it to the Franklin goshdarned
Mint"-ben(performing on Conan last spring)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 14:58:37 -0800
From: Vladimir Drakul <vlad_drakul@geocities.com>
Subject: Lyrics dispute...?

I know this is old, but so is the mail in my inbox, so...

The Where's Summer Been lyrics debate regarding smoking a bowl... sounds familiar...

There once was a TMBG lyric from "Become A Robot" that people couldn't tell was
something like "Here's hoping you don't harbor a _______."  It was printed 'deathwish,'
(I think) and the debate was deathwish vs. penguin (which it really sounds like) vs.
wishnik.  Finally, someone asked John Linnell in an interview and it turned out to be
wishnik.  Says John.  ;)  So, my 2 cents goes for smoking a bowl with Caleb, but you
never know...

- --
Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/
"Is everything normal now?"               "And crawling on the
"Well, he hasn't got                      planet's face... some
religious mania, and he's                 called the Human Race.
not running around in a                   Lost in time, and lost
circle spouting Gilbert                   in space...
and Sullivan, so I guess                  ...and meaning."
he's normal."

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 18:54:35 EST
From: PSYCHOPAF@aol.com
Subject: Complete Piano Music.

Hello, can someone please help me find Ben Folds Five songs translated into
piano music that is complete? Like, on a webpage, so I can print is out, or
something? Please email me if you know of any. Thanks!

Amy
"I only wanted cheese."-Darren.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 20:50:17 EST
From: PSYCHOPAF@aol.com
Subject: CMJ 1997 or 1998?

Is the Ben Folds Five pics in 1997 or 1998 march? I looked in 1997, and didn't
see any. Please email me.

Amy

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 22:03:01 -0500
From: john_oc@juno.com
Subject: Pontiac Review

- --As printed in the Otterbein College 'Tan and Cardinal'

Ben Folds Five brings the house down, literally.

"I pushed you guys cause I didn't realize you weren't having fun."  The
irony of this lyric from the Ben Folds Five song, 'Philosophy' rang true
last Monday night.  As the song blared at top volume the packed and
over-sold Clutch Cargo crowd hopped around to the music.  Then while
hopping someone at the back of the crowd lost their balance while
hopping, pushing the entire crowd forward.  Several drunk hoodlums
decided that it would be prudent at that point to continue the pushing,
shoving and near moshing for the entire show.  As a reviewer I generally
try to take notes whilst standing amidst the crowd, but I quickly
realized that this would not be possible.  Even during the band's
beautiful track from their new album, 'Selfless Cold and Composed' was
playing the crowd continued pushing at a fevered pitch.  When the band
then launched into a slowed down version of 'Missing the War', the crowd
still did not get the clue.  Soon, Ben, Robert and Darren had to rock, so
they gave up on the crowd and launched into a floor shaking version of
'The Last Polka' from their 1995 self-titled album.  When I say floor
shaking, I mean floor shaking.  The entire venue rocked back and forth,
with the floor on the verge of collapse through 'Polka', jazzy 'Steven's
Last Night In Town' and 'Fair'.  Ben Folds Five was bringing down the
house.   If I thought the venue could not get any louder, I was sadly
mistaken.  As bassist Robert Sledge but down the electric to pick up an
upright, the crowd went crazy as this could only be a sign that the band
was about to launch into their crossover smash, Brick.  With the crowd
singing a long(decidedly off-key) and the crowd waving lighters above
their heads, I experienced a feeling of bliss.  Not because of the beauty
of the song, but because the crowd was totally ignorant to the content
and reasons behind the song.  The band knew it too.  I could see it in
their eyes.  Suddenly, I felt very content knowing that the band knew
that a large majority of their fans were ignorant.  From there the show
went on strongly with a wonderful version of the beautiful song 'Eddie
Walker' and a rocking version of 'Julianne'.  One cannot forget the new
single that you can hear on Otterbein College Radio(101.5 FM), Emaline,
as the boys played it brilliantly.  For an encore the band played the
beautiful waltz, Boxing and then launched into their first 'hit',
Underground.  All in all, a great show.  After attending this show, and
being a 'hardcore' fan of Ben Folds Five, I realized one thing about the
band.  The fans and band will face a reality check soon.  The throngs of
useless fans abound, and for this reviewer ruined the show.  I caught up
with Otterbein student Matt Glaviano, who also made the 4 hour trip,
after the show.  "If I wanted a sore neck, and a charley horse, I would
have went to a Ministry concert.  My girlfriend cracked her ribs on the
front barricade for Christ's sake!"  The sentiments Matt echoed were the
same from many of the 'true' fans.  Ben is no longer 'ours' anymore, he's
big and important.

Setlist:  	Dr. Pyser
	Battle
	Philosophy
	SCC
	Missing The War
	Last Polka
	Steven's
	Fair
	Brick
	*rap jam
	Song For the Dumped
	Julianne
	Eddie Walker
	Kate
	Jackson Cannery
	Emaline
	OAD200SF
	Boxing(encore)
	Underground(encore)

Sorry this is so long, thought you might be interested.  At least it's on
topic.

John

"Close your eyes and you'll see nothing at all, or maybe it's just
everything at once."

                    --Modest Mouse

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 00:20:53 -0600
From: "Stephen E. Chamraz" <chamraz@execpc.com>
Subject: 15 Feb @ Chicago

Hello all...

I've finally found a moment to tell my impressions of the Chicago show. Here
goes:

Robbie Fulks: Someone should have told me that I could have worn my cowboy
boots. It was a hard-edged country sound that was a great appetizer for BFF.
An especially nice treat was the short cover of "Fair" towards the end of
his set. I also liked it when his kids came out on stage during the BFF set
as the "Solid Gold" dancers. Brilliant piece of comedy on Ben's part.

Ben Folds Five: Wow. I've never rocked this hard before... guess that's why
they call it "punk rock for sissies," huh?

- - I was a little disappointed that the set list was too similar to the
October show in Chicago... the addition of Eddie Walker and Emaline were
appreciated, as was the encore of Uncle Walter... I screamed my ass off in
October for them to play it, so I enjoyed this version all the more.
Evaporated was oddly absent this time... hmm.

- - Loved the ad-libbed Cybercast number... maybe that'll be on the next
rarities album.

- - But what really made the show was the en-fucking-core. Ben on the piano,
Ben on the speakers, Ben ripping his shirt off, about 30 people in the crowd
(no women to my knowledge) throwing their shirts on stage, and the
aforementioned kick-ass version of Uncle Walter got the place ready for
another hour-long set.... but that was to be it for that night.

Some notes to anyone who was near me that night...

1) My apologies to the lady who I scammed out of $20 for my spot a little
closer to the stage. I tried to find you after the show to give it back, but
no such luck. I feel like an ass... If you're out there, let me know and
maybe I can make it up to you.

2) My apologies to anyone whom I offended/harassed/disrupted when I put
someone on my shoulders. My pal Matt has already lambasted me on the list
for this offense, and I now formally offer my "mea culpa." But she was SO
short!!!

3) Someone right next to me (a Northwestern student, perhaps) tossed... nay,
HURLED a fanny pack on the stage about half way through the show. What a
great idea... but they never played the song. I propose we all find our out
of date, crappy fanny packs and pelt them at the stage. Any takers?

I would love to hear from anyone else who was at the show...

For now, that is all.
_______________________
Steve Chamraz
www.execpc.com/~chamraz
chamraz@execpc.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 01:25:05 -0500 (EST)
From: Alex Miller <amiller@biz1.net>
Subject: St. Louis show

I sent this a couple days ago, but I haven't seen it, so here it is again:

Finally getting around to mailing about the St. Louis show.  This was my
first time seeing them and I thought it was really great, as you all know.
Someone mentioned that it was the worst they'd seen them, but BF5's worst
is better than your average show, I guess.  One way or the other, I
enjoyed it immensely.  The one thing that kills me is that I got into this
band just months before they stop playing clubs and starting playing
theaters.  I would have loved to see these guys at the Galaxy or the Side
Door in the last year or so.

Anyways, here's the setlist to the best of my reckoning:

Dr. Pyser (???? - instrumental I didn't know)
Battle of ...
Philosophy
Selfless, Cold, and Composed
Missing the War
Last Polka
Steven's Last Night in Town
Fair (with a "lyrical breakdown")
Brick
Best Imitation
Song for the Dumped
Emaline - great to hear
"Valentine" improv song
Eddie Walker
Dwarf
Smoke
Jackson Cannery
Kate

e: She Don't Use Vaseline (lots of people singing along)
Uncle Walter
the Big Rock Ending

Is it just me or is Darren actually Dana Carvey?

Later,
Alex

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 02:14:22 EST
From: HoserGirl@aol.com
Subject: Yeah, Ben Posters.

Well, no, not exciting ones, but for the die hard fan... posters none the
less.

I went by this music store I never go by today, and low and behold Ben posters
in the window promoting their show here... which was about two weeks ago. So,
I went in, and had the guy snag them down for me.

For any of you seeing them on this tour... I have some of the long vertical
ones that are red, and say Ben Folds Five in yellow in the BFF font... and
then a few of the square ones with the WAEA cover on the front blown up and a
thing on the back that's red, with little BFF drawings of random stuff, saying
"featuring brick."

Anyway... I already have these. I snagged them at the show, here in Portland,
but I snagged these anyway, just 'cause you can never have enough... and I
figured I'd post this here, to look for those die hard fans, who might want to
trade me a tape for a poster... I'd even mail you the blank tape... and then
all you would have to do was take the time to tape it, and then I would hook
you up with a poster, and even a nifty difty NBP postcard with the boys on
it... and copies of some articles. Come on, good deals. I just... want more
tapes. I am looking for boots... from the recent tour would be cool... from
any tour would be cool.

This is long... but write me, and let me know if any of you people I love so
much are up for it.

Hoser Girl@aol.com
Bonniy