Issue #831 - February 19, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest  Thursday, February 19 1998  Volume 01 : Number 831

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

    BF5 show in VA Beach
    The Curse of MUZAK
    South Park?
    Re:  15 Feb @ Chicago
    anyone in dc, raleigh, please read
    tapes of the current tour?
    Radio show...
    RE: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #830
    9:30 club
    Hammerstein
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #830
    Re: St Louis show
    BF5 in toronto
    Opps...part of my other post!..I"M SORRY!!1
    Re: The Monsters of the Ivories Tour '98
    Toronto radio review
    "she's a-OW!"
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #830
    CC Show
    Oh, contrare, Mr. Chamraz
    POSTERS

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 09:27:11 EST
From: Rosejmort@aol.com
Subject: BF5 show in VA Beach

Is anyone going to the show in VA Beach on the 23rd? If so, please e-mail me
by Friday.

Thanks!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 09:32:26 -0500
From: "idaho" <idaho@appstate.campus.mci.net>
Subject: The Curse of MUZAK

I don't believe it.  It still seems too strange to fathom, but I was walking
in the mall last week to go to the pet store with the MUZAK playing
forlornly in the background and I experienced something which I would like
to warn all true Armchairites about before you must suffer like myself.

Now this is Boone, NC folks, not the cutting edge of anything except for
certain elicit drugs, and only the most generally accepted music is played
in the local mall.  BUT........low and behold, what should pour from the
canned bowels of the machine which provides music to the mindless mall
minions but the rhythmic, yet overplayed strains of the top 40 hit from my
favorite band in the world.  BRICK ON MUZAK.

I don't know if bands who find their way on to MUZAK have any control over
such things (I doubt it) but it hurt my soul.  Heed this warning and wear
earplugs if you are forced to visit the mall, lest the same fate befall you.

blb

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 10:07:47 EST
From: YourPalCM@aol.com
Subject: South Park?

I've been a little out of touch for the past few days and trying to catch up -
what is all the talk about South Park and BF5?  Someone please fill me in.

Thanks,
Your Pal,
Chris Mal

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 10:46:02 EST
From: LoonyLiz@aol.com
Subject: Re:  15 Feb @ Chicago

In a message dated 2/18/98 7:26:08AM, Steve Chamraz wrote:

<< I propose we all find our out
of date, crappy fanny packs and pelt them at the stage. Any takers?>>

Actually, as clever as that is...it's really hard on bands when people throw
stuff at them on stage.  The lights are so bright that they can't see things
coming, and ya know it kinda hurts a little to be whacked in the head with
some useless item that a crazy fan hurls at 'em.  Although...I supposed it
wouldn't be such a bad idea, if you don't aim at the band.  Still, there're
all kinds of real dangers involved.  I mean if somebody decided to throw a
fannypack on stage in the middle of some big rock number, any of the band
members could slip on it and fall 'n' stuff.  Or equiptment could be damaged,
roadies have been known to die from fanny pack-inflicted injuries. Okay they
haven't but they could be.  Anyone familiar with Barenaked Ladies knows about
the whole Kraft Dinner-throwing craze, but that has been pretty much stopped
now because the band put the word out about how much they hated it. I guess
all I'm tryin to say is use your judgement 'cause ya wouldn't want anything
unpleasant to happen :)
Liz =o)
LoonyLiz@aol.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 11:05:45 -0500
From: "Alessa Geboff" <aegeboff@eos.ncsu.edu>
Subject: anyone in dc, raleigh, please read

hi.  okay, first of all, bf5 in dc 2/22, but if you live in town, or if
you want to travel early, the mighty blue kings will be playing in dc
the friday night before.  i'm not sure where, so check the local paper.
much like the squirrel nut zippers from chapel hill, the mighty blue kings
are a swing band from chicago, and in my opinion, much better than snz.

secondly, those of you in/around raleigh, wknc is putting on a show
wednesday, february 25th...just one week away at the brewery.  headlining
is a great band from vancouver, damn the diva, and they're fans of bf5, btw!
 opening is a durham band recently signed to universal...collapsis, featuring
members of dillon fence, queen sarah saturday, and kickball.  and kicking off
the show is the one, the only, snuzz!!! we're starting the show early since
it's a wednesday night, around 9:30, and the first 100 ppl that get there by
10:00 get prizepaks, and there's a drawing for t-shirts, cds, etc.  it's going
to be one hell of a show, and i can't wait, those of you who haven't heard/seen
snuzz are really missing out, so come early!!

also, i'll be posting about a baby photo contest we're doing via the www.
the page will be up soon, so start looking through your old baby photos, and
you could win an autographed copy of NBP...stay tuned.
- --alessa

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 11:25:35 EST
From: MeandMrRay@aol.com
Subject: tapes of the current tour?

Hello Everyone,
       I'm looking for good quality tapes of shows from the current tour. If
anyone has these, and would like to set up a trade...please let me know. I
have to trade: Other bootlegs, promo stuff (just ask what I currently
have...its usually some sort of Cd's) and I also got my hands on a few
posters. So again, please email me if you have any tapes of the current tour,
and hopefully we can set something up. Check out my bootleg list at:
<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/meandmrray/list.html">MeandMrRay's Tape List
</A> (<---Click on the Blue). Thanks.

Greg.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 08:31:55 PST
From: "Nick Scott" <nickscott09@hotmail.com>
Subject: Radio show...

Last night I recorded BFF on the Canadian radio station 102.1 The Edge
(I'm a good old Canadian boy).  It was a 45 minute show with BFF where
they played Brick, Battle of Who Could Care Less, and a couple others
(one was even an instrumental song I've never heard which started with
the first verse of Satan is My Master).  Unfortunately, the taping job
isn't the greatest (thanks to my shitty radio), but it is definately
listenable.  The interviews went well (Ben's usual humor was in
attendance as he dedicated a song to Tommy Lee), even though there were
some really stupid phone calls.  Just thought I'd let you all know.  And
tonight at 4 pm and a couple other times Muchmusic (yah!) has BFF
performing live in their studio.  I will be taping it for sure.  If
anyone wants a copy of the radio performance (again I warn you it's not
the greatest copy), email me and we'll work something out.  One more
thing, BFF are playing in Toronto tonight (alas, I couldn't score
tickets!).  Keep up the good submitions!

Nick

"My mom's good she got me out of Twin Falls, Idaho..." --BFF

"I feel so cold on hookers and gin...this mess we're in."
                     --Sean Atkins Experience

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 10:40:20 +0000
From: Andrea Georgeson <amg007@drake.edu>
Subject: RE: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #830

         Reply to:   RE: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #830
Darren = Dana Carvey????  Darren's a doll, Dana's....washed out.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 12:28:43 -0500 (EST)
From: Anna Louise Cavnar <acavnar@indiana.edu>
Subject: 9:30 club

Hello Armchairites!
in just 16 hours and 30 minutes i will be leaving Bloomington, Indiana and
beginning my trek to Washington DC for the 9:30 club show!!! anyone else
going to be there? i'll be wearing my Cool in School t-shirt and i sure as
hell better be in the front, after all i'm flying a couple hunderd miles
to be there. of course i'm telling my DC friends that i'm coming to see
them and it just happened to work out that BFF would be there at the same
time...but we all know the truth. my friend in Austin (whose picture, by
the way, hangs in the boys bus) told them i was coming so i hope i get to
talk to them!!!
hope to see some of you there!
anna

     I got my philosophy
     and I trust it like the ground.
     That's why my philosophy
     keeps me walking when I'm falling down
                     -Ben Folds Five

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 12:41:23 -0500
From: santonan@student.umass.edu
Subject: Hammerstein

Well kids, tis only a mere two days away from pure bliss. I'm already
ecstatic..the only thing I'm not keen on is having to drive home from NYC.
All I know is that someone better stay awake in the car with me for the
four hour drive. Umm...I know we all talked about getting together before
the show..so if anyone still wants to email me and let me know. I'm not
sure what time I"ll be getting into NYC, hopefully before rush hour as
I've never driven in NYC before and would like to make it to the concert
alive. May wear an Uncle Walter nametag...not sure yet. Just look for the
girl with tissue. The brilliant person I am..went to a Bim Skala Bim show
at Pearl Street the other night, and of course got all hot and sweaty, and
then decided not to wear a coat outside. Needless to say I'm now sick.
Anyhoo...email me if you wish to meet up before the show. I'm off to
social dance now, learning how to swing..the only reason why I took the
class. I think they should release Steven's Last Night and make a video
with swing dancing..that would be some cool shit. :)

Sarah :)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 12:54:13 EST
From: FM3Red5@aol.com

Hey,

i'm going to the BFF show in NTC in friday...everyone keeps talking about
meeting them and stuff like that...do they come out into the venue after or
like they'll be waiting outside by their tour bus or something?  I'll give you
all a review of the show once it comes.

Frank

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 10:16:14 -0800
From: "Jennifer Auletto" <jenito@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: St Louis show

Alex Miller <amiller@biz1.net> wrote:

>Is it just me or is Darren actually Dana Carvey?

Actually, I think he looks exactly like Greg Kinnear ("Talk Soup,"
"Sabrina," "As Good as it Gets," etc.).  Anyone else think so?

Jennifer Auletto
jenito@ix.netcom.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 11:10:37 -0800 (PST)
From: ralph kyatsu <inane_insane@yahoo.com>
Subject: BF5 in toronto

OK I have a couple things to say first i was at their radio seesion at
"the edge" in toronto yesterday.....

(oh wait was there anyone from the armchair there??...I was the asian
guy with the spikey hair with the white towel shirt near Darren!)

it was amazing they were so friendly and I got them to sign my poster
and I even got Darren's Drumstick!!!!.....
I feel really bad though at one point the host ask Ben what was the
most bizarre thingf he read about himself in online.....I being dumb
and probably suffering from Pnuenomia yealled out "GAY CRACK
HEAD".....I felt really bad cause they were so nice to me even though
Darren and ben shot me a look ......I"M SORRY.....AHHH I hope they
read this and don't think I'm a complete A**HOLE.......good to get
that off my chest...Off to the show!

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 11:13:25 -0800 (PST)
From: ralph kyatsu <inane_insane@yahoo.com>
Subject: Opps...part of my other post!..I"M SORRY!!1

opps I forgot to mention why I was dleirious...we had to stand in the
freezing rain for 2 hours!!!...I hope they read this...I'm sorry guys~!

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 14:46:50 -0500
From: Jennifer Spinner <JSPINNER@CAHNERS.COM>
Subject: Re: The Monsters of the Ivories Tour '98

To the person that said Paula Cole couldn't kick the buttocks of an
anemic squirrel (nice poetic imagry, by the way): I guess Monsters
isn't the right term. I just think an all-ivories tour would be
interesting. And all ass-kicking bands would be silly. The point of
such an artistic assemblage would be to demonstrate that the piano is
a dynamic instrument--not just for classicists (vladimir horowitz) or
jazz crooners (harry connick jr.) or power-popsters (Elton). You
could have just as diverse a lineup with all-piano as you could at
something like HORDE.
This is just an aside: Paula Cole played SNL a while back. She was
wearing a spaghetti-strap top, and when she was done, she lifted her
arm to acknowledge the crowd's applause. I just have one word for Ms.
Paula: Bic.

------------------------------

Date: 18 Feb 98 15:08:36 -0500
From: Chris Short <chris_short@fasken.com>
Subject: Toronto radio review

I got into the studio for BFF's appearance on 102.1 the Edge in T.O. (after waiting in line in freezing rain).  They played four songs on the radio, but the fans in the studio were treated to some cool spontaneous jamming.

The songs they played were:
Battle...
Selfless...
Brick,
and Satan is my master/Dr. Pyser

I got to stand right behind Ben (he stepped on my toes twice I was so close) and got to add some vocals to Dr. Pyser (he told the people behind him to yell "Rocker Tommy Lee!" twice).

The questions he was asked were plain and boring, including one from a member of the 'armchair who asked what the strangest thing Ben had read about himself online (he fought back the truth... "I don't really read that stuff" he started to say before Robert interrupted him with an example)...

For all you Radiohead fans, while the guys were warming up they played Karma Police on the radio station.  Robert, hearing this, started playing the bass line, then Darren jumped in, and Ben too, once he figured out the chords.  It was solid (I'm not a RH fan myself, but I still thought it was cool).

I've got a tape of the show, if anyone wants to email me (only the stuff that made it to the radio).  I'm taping the guys on MuchMusic today (Wed.) so I could get you that too.

Finally, Ben mentioned his upcoming solo project (well, him and non members of the 'Five).  He said that the recording would be done in March, but he said modestly that he didn't know if it would get released.  The album is said to be composed of musical textures, rather than complete songs, and that it would be entirely instrumental.

Well, off to the show...
Shorty.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 15:55:15 EST
From: Rocketno8@aol.com
Subject: "she's a-OW!"

when someone mentioned throwing a fanny pack onstage, i thought of something
horrifying. what if the teenyboppers started pelting the band with bricks? oh,
the humanity...just a thought.
- -dr.rocket
p.s.i'm guessing the videos they were giving away at the shows are the same as
the 13-minute "video portrait" that i got from a record store clerk when WAEA
came out. it's a hilarious look at the making of the album along with the
"battle" video. a must-have for collectors.
"it's Ben Folds Five, not The Ben Folds Five, motherfucker"-robert

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 17:22:45 EST
From: MFalcon779@aol.com

unsubsribe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 17:21:15, -0500
From: JLPD@prodigy.com ( SADIE   RUMSEY)
Subject: CC Show

Okay, this is going to be a very abridged review of the CC
show...my full description would prolly take up an entire
armchair.  I could prolly sum it up in four words:  Great show,
awful crowd.  It started out great...got right up front against
the barricade, jammed to Robbie Fulks (I actually did love it,
I was pretty pissed at the people around me who insisted on
standing with their arms crossed and a pained look on their
face, "Ewww, country..." I don't listen to country, but those
guys know their guitars).  The problem started when the boys
came out and everyone decided that it'd be a great idea to
start a mosh pit...I'm very sorry, but this is BEN FOLDS, not
Metallica...I don't mind pits, been in my fair share, but I was
there to listen to music...dance sure, but not fight to breathe.
It couldn't have been more different than the last show I went
to, hard to believe that was just a few months ago and things
have changed so much...the improv wasn't there, and hanging
out with the guys has become an ordeal involving a bunch of
security guards on power trips and radio djs with their contest
winners...I know, I know I got the Edge Session, but I'd have
given it up in a minute to not have to deal with an elbow in my
ribs during Philosophy.  Ben says they'll prolly be back in Detroit
around May, maybe by then the mania will have settled a bit...
I have nothing against fans of Brick, just people who go to
random concerts to be "cool."  I knew way too many fans who
never got tix to this show, and saw way too many people at the
concert who'd never heard Ben anywhere but the radio.

Live good.

- -JLPD/Sadie

btw...Steve! kicks ass...thanks for the tapes & the warm spot in
line!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 18:02:55 -0500
From: David S Sitz <David.S.Sitz@Rose-Hulman.Edu>
Subject: Oh, contrare, Mr. Chamraz

Hey everybody,

	Just thought I give my two cents.  Steve you said that there were no
women to your knowledge that took their shirts off during that kick ass
jam during the encore at the Chicago show this past weekend.  Well, I
must admit that two friends of mine (both ladies) pulled thier shirts
off just as readily as the males that surrounded them.  Shit yea it was
cool!
					Bye all,
						Sitz

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 18:57:28 EST
From: LawneGirl@aol.com
Subject: POSTERS

I, too, have one promo poster i'm looking to get rid of (only because i have
two already).  i will take the highest bidder and i'm looking for boots of all
sorts.  e-mail me.
lindsay