Issue #846 - February 25, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest  Wednesday, February 25 1998  Volume 01 : Number 846

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

    palace concert pics and 120
    just a thought
    KRTZ--Where are you???
    D.C. Show Review
    Kiss My Ass
    it's been a while
    120 or so
    [none]
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #843
    120 Minutes....again.
    Keenen Ivory Wayans show?
    Toronto fan with a setlist and a request
    BRICK
    Over 40

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 20:18:15 -0800
From: Janet <LemonDrp@pacbell.net>
Subject: palace concert pics and 120

Hi.

My my, almost breaking a window from throwing a tape that didn't record?
Crying?
Over 120 Minutes?  A little overreacting here, I must say...
Girls are weird ones.  I know, I am a girl.

Palace show pics are up on my site.  Concert section.  Sandra gave them
to me.

Janet.
- --
My Mom Says I'm Cool.  http://members.tripod.com/~peachfish/sparkie.htm

My Heroes I Confess.  http://members.tripod.com/~peachfish/BenFoldsFive/

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 22:39:43 -0700
From: Deidre <a0028897@airmail.net>
Subject: just a thought

To Jennifer who said the following:
........I'm unsubscribing (like anyone cares). I'm going to take the two
hours
I used to spend sorting through the silly e-mails from this list and
use it to actually LISTEN to the music.

Well honey,  if you were like me, you would be listening to BFF while
you were going through your mail!!  Trust me, it puts you in a better
mood.  And what's so wrong with falling in love with a band?!  Atleast
we're not out on the streets shooting up. (most of us anyway. :o)~ )
Sorry you're leaving, hope you find a "cooler" list elsewhere.

All is fair,
Deidre

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 21:47:18 -0800
From: Kevin Fiet <kjf9@email.byu.edu>
Subject: KRTZ--Where are you???

I am looking for someone who has (or had) the email address:
edahn01@sprynet.com
Please, if you are still on the armchair, email me!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 00:02:37 -0500
From: ttp1@erols.com
Subject: D.C. Show Review

It is 24 hours later, and I am still flying from last night's show at
the 9:30 Club in D.C. Here's the set list with a few comments. I am
usually a lurker, but seeing the show (and a promise to Frank) has me
writing this review.

The club was absolutely packed.....wall to wall people, and a very
enthusiastic, seemingly knowledgable crowd they were! We walked in after
Robbie Fulks had started. He sounded good...I'm not a big country
fan...but his music crossed over enough to be enjoyable to me and he got
a real nice reception from the crowd. After reading about fans being
rude to opening acts along the way, I was pleased to see the D.C.
audience giving Fulks such a positive reaction. Way-to-go
Washingtonians!

Ben, Robert and Darren came out right about 10 to wild cheering from the
crowd. They seemed to be in great spirits and were certainly in great
voice.

The set list:

1. Dr. Peyser

2. BOWCCL - after which Ben informed the very sympathetic audience that
he had "injured" his finger. He took out a bandaid, put it on his finger
and made a funny comment - "piano - 1, Ben - 0" It would have been
pretty funny if he had followed that with Boxing!

3. Philosophy

4. Song for the Dumped - with a very cool new (to me) intro where Ben
strummed the piano strings. I love when he does that!

5. Selfless, Cold and Composed

6. Eddie Walker

7. The Last Polka

8. Steven's Last Night in Town - in which RIGHT in the middle of the
final chorus ....."that every night now will be Steven's......" big
pause where Ben stops, gets his bottle of water, unscrews the top, takes
a long drink, then finishes "last night in town" It was pretty funny
(but maybe you had to be there! :-)

9. Fair

10. Brick - and here the crowd didn't seem to be that much more hyped
than with the rest of the songs! There must have been an awful lot of
long term fans there!

11. Kate - got a HUGE response from the crowd.

12. Tom and Mary

13. Emaline

14. Missing the War

15. She Don't Use Jelly

16. One Angry Dwarf

17. Underground - complete with Robert's disco diva best!

And then the Encores

1. Smoke (SO beautiful live)

2. Uncle Walter - what a way to go!!!!

The time seemed to just fly during the show. They were so incredibly
good and I think that the energy from the audience really helped charge
the atmosphere. It was plain and simple a BFF love-in!

I feel so fortunate to have been there. (Thanks a million Rachel!) Can't
wait til the next time !

Tracy

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 00:01:04 -0500
From: "Stephen N. McDonald" <stevem@cybertechdesigns.com>
Subject: Kiss My Ass

Now that I have my voice, legs and brain back from the Philly show, I'd
just like to say that, while it wasn't quite as good at last year's in
some ways, it was better in others.  It seemes like now that they're Gold, Ben
and the guys had a LOT more energy, although last year he did get up on
the piano during "Kick Ass" (which I'm still looking for a copy of, please
email me).  I guess it was just the fact that they sold out and were packed
and they knew they had our loyalty.  I saw a lot of ppl there I saw last
year, and I saw a lot more ppl there that only knew the words to Brick,
but who cares?  It was still an amazing show.  Smoke was great, Song for
the Dumped had an interesting opening...I can't even begin to describe it.
I'm a little pissed I had to put up $30 for my freaking scalped ticket, but
it was well worth it.
Ashley, sorry I missed you...as for the rest of you who were at the Philly
show and live in the area, let me know.  (I'm in a small town 30 miles north
of Philly btw)  Maybe we can all meet up somewhere (Franklin Mills Mall?)
sometime.
I guess I should share my KMA experience with you.

The concert was great, and I bought a red Kiss My Ass tshirt before the show
because I already have a farewell 1981 shirt and the ppl i was there with
bought the other two.
I decided to wear it to skool today (i'm a senior in h.s.) just because.
I didn't mean to be disruptive, etc...I just wanted to show my appreciation
for the guys, etc.
Man, did I get a shitstorm for that one.  First period, I made it through
about 30
minutes before it was noticed.  Right away, I had to take it off (I had a nice
"Guster is for Lovers" tshirt underneath it because i had expected this).
After I left first period, it went right back on.  Sure is funny to hear the
ppl behind me talking when they finally notice it %^) Of course, when
one of the administrators who already didn't like me noticed it, she
told me to take it off again.  I did until I got to second period, the teacher
there is a BFF fan and LOVED the shirt :)
Made it until lunch, when the stupid lunchlady said "take that off or i'll
tell the admin on you".  I obliged (until i was out of her sight).  On the
way to last period, the teacher that caught me first period saw me AGAIN and
boy was he pissed!  He sent me to the office, and I walked *towards* it...
doubled back, and went to class.  On the way out of class, guess who was
standing outside?  That's right, Mr. X.  Bastard.  However, since it was last
period, skool was officially over and he had no power :)
"Don't ever wear that to skool again" he said.
"Bite me" I said.
I'm wearing it again later this week or next Monday, I'll let you know how
it goes.

Anyway, if anyone has copies of this year's or last year's Electric Factory
concerts,
please E-me and lemme know.  I'll give my right arm for them.  Same deal
with 120
Mins, freaking VCR is broken over here.

I'm out, until next time.
<SLAMS! the door shut behind him>

(oh yeah, there's already a Steve from Philly on the list %^)

===
I was once asked,
"Steve, what is it with you?  Is it ignorance or apathy?"
I politely replied,
"I don't know and I don't care."

~Nunz

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 00:13:28 -0500 (EST)
From: Ginger Nance <gnance@email.unc.edu>
Subject: it's been a while

Howdy folks!  I haven't posted in a while, but I thought I'd stop lurking
a moment and thank all of the people who have shared their concert/hanging
with the boys experiences.  Even though I'm still highly upset that I
haven't seen any of this tour, I love hearing other peoples' fun (or not
so fun) times.  Makes me feel like I'm almost there.  Random note--first
short story is due in creative writing tomorrow, without even thinking
about it I named two characters Ben and Robert!  Okay, now here's some
real BF5 content.  The local crap "alternative" station has now added "One
Angry Dwarf" into its rotation as "hot new music."  Has this happened
anywhere else?  I'm guessing this means OAD is the next single, with
"don't give me that bullshit" conveniently dubbed so it almost sounded
like "don't give me that bullfrog."  Beautiful!

Ginger :)

Ooooo  Ginger Nance
(   )  ginger_nance@unc.edu
 ) (   gnance@email.unc.edu
 (o)   http://www.unc.edu/~gnance

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 23:48:28 -0500
From: schander@juno.com (joe s schanderson)
Subject: 120 or so

To all who missed the recent 120 mins.

YOU DIDN'T MISS MUCH.

They showed Brick and Battle and then talked very little between a couple
videos. As someone else pointed out, the worst thing of all was when
Pinnfield asked them the same question he asked last time about the CURE
ids.

oh well,

michigan joe

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 23:28:34 -0500
From: schander@juno.com (joe s schanderson)
Subject: [none]

>>>I'm unsubscribing (like anyone cares). I'm going to take the two hours
>>>I used to spend sorting through the silly e-mails from this list and
>>>use it to actually LISTEN to the music.

I don't understand why people can't just LEAVE if they don't like it.

I don't always enjoy the posts but Lord knows it doesn't take me more
than 20 minutes to go through them all and they are sometimes great
sources of info and/or humor for me.

Sorry you didn't like it but if you get on another list and decide you
don't like it....JUST LEAVE. You don't need to let everyone else know you
think they're silly and that you don't understand the hero worship, blah,
blah.

I don't love the "BEN'S CUTE" or "I TOUCHED DARREN'S SHIRT" stuff either
but hey, I can always just scroll down.....

one of the oldies, hanging with the newbies,

Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 11:50:44 -0800
From: "Mark Waterman" <d0od@lightspeed.net>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #843

Does anyone have a bootleg of the Nov. 30th show at the El Ray theater in
LA?   I would greatly appreciate any info on finding one.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 00:03:44 +0000
From: Andrea Georgeson <amg007@drake.edu>
Subject: 120 Minutes....again.

Just to reiterate.  I have 120 Minutes on tape...if you need a copy,
email me at <amg007@drake.edu>  I'll hook ya up.

- -Andrea

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 00:22:23 -0600
From: kevins@ibm.net
Subject: Keenen Ivory Wayans show?

I haven't seen this posted anywhere else, but the "Late Night TV Page" =
at http://www.interbridge.com/lineups.html has the fellas listed as =
guests on this Thursday night's Keenen Ivory Wayans show (2/26).  I have =
no idea if this is true or not.

Kevin Schwartz

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 01:44:54 -0800
From: Chrissie Walker <chrissie@idirect.com>
Subject: Toronto fan with a setlist and a request

Hey everybody! It's Chrissie here in Toronto. I think it was Chris who
asked about the setlist for the Toronto show at the Phoenix. Here goes:

Theme from "Dr. Pyser"
Battle of Who Could Care Less
Philosophy
Selfless, Cold and Composed
Missing The War
The Last Polka
Steven's Last Night in Town
Fair
Yo-Yo Ma (Rockin' To The Break Of Dawn) - improv!
Brick
Kate
Jackson Cannery
Song For The Dumped
Eddie Walker
Uncle Walter
She Don't Use Jelly
One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces

ENCORE:
Boxing
Underground

Man, that was one kick-ass show! :) The Yo-Yo Ma improv song was just
hilarious; I think Ben played 2 versions of it. Robert did his little
disco diva routine during Underground and Ben displayed his funky moves
at the front of the stage. Has anyone else seen Robert unplug his bass
and use the live patch cord on his hand as percussion? That was cool.

The night before the concert the band played an intimate set at a local
Toronto radio station, where I got to meet the guys. :) They played
Battle Of, Selfless, Brick, and Dr. Pyser, along with the shouts of
"Rocker Tommy Lee!" (Ben asked us to do that). On Wed. afternoon before
the show they stopped by MuchMusic for an interview and performed 2
songs: One Angry Dwarf and Battle Of. I got to be on TV with them!
Anyway, my suggestion to Ralph (creator of the Canadian BFF webpage):
why don't we transcribe the Much interview for those who weren't able to
see it? Your page looks great so far and I'd be happy to help. Hey - did
anyone in Toronto tape the 102.1 broadcast last Tuesday? I was thrilled
that I was able to be there (even though I was soaking wet from waiting
outside in the rain), but sad that I don't have a copy of it. :( It
totally rocked though. I got to stand right behind Ben and his Steinway.
I think someone already mentioned that the guys began playing along to
Radiohead's Karma Police and Weezer's The Sweater Song as they were
being played on 102.1 - and the crowd even started singing.

Sorry for rambling, but I've got a request from my friend Shannon in
Michigan. Here's what she's asking:
"I'm looking for someone named Lila Aharya. If she is on here, *please*
e-mail me at semmccart@oakland.edu. Thank you so much".

That's all for now,
Chrissie

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 11:35:40 +0000
From: "B.D.WATTS" <tl6304@qmw.ac.uk>
Subject: BRICK

I know you are all American tossers but do any of you know the UK
release of Brick.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 07:14:42 EST
From: toadaholic@juno.com (Toad Princess B)
Subject: Over 40

<< but seeing 40 year old women lip synching along made it that much
more disturbing>>

Hey..Give me a break!! I will be 37 on Sunday and have loved BF5 since
way back so don't laugh at me if you see me even singing out loud in a
grocery store : )  I like the fact that the music appeals to all
ages..I'd much rather see a more mature audience who can really
appreciate the complexities of the music then a bunch of teeny boppys who
will be on to the next band in no time.

Toad Princess B.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]