Issue #919 - April 1, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest    Wednesday, April 1 1998    Volume 01 : Number 919

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

    smoke instruments, and the ringing in stevens
    Re:  Georgetown show
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #916
    New Tour Dates and basic whining
    The Orbit Room in Michigan
    UNITED KINGDOM
    MA=a form of therapy
    band name
    smoke questions
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #915
    Keyserdanl...
    Where to get BFF CDs
    Ben Folds Todd Rundgren Interview
    A B C Duh
    Mixed Tape's a Masterpiece
    Random Meeting With Ben
    NEW ORLEANS

Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 21:50:54 PST
From: "Chandra Hicks" <chanfifteen@hotmail.com>
Subject: smoke instruments, and the ringing in stevens

okay, on smoke, i think it's this little piano thing (think about a foot
long) that ben blows into (kind of like an accordian but without the
pumping) this sounds very sexual but it's not supposed to be, anyway, at
the concert that i last went to , for smoke he played this little
instrument and that's what i think the sound is.
on stevens, it's the very last couple of lines
"everyone knows know that every night now will be steeeeeeeveeeeens,
(ring) last night in toooowwwwwwwn!!!!!"
that drove me nuts for a while too, because i would run to the phone and
pick it up and no one would be there.
another thing completely off of bf5 banter, on Prodigy's "breathe" they
have my name in the background like every 3 seconds and that made me
fell like i was going insane, the music industry really messes with your
noggin.
chandra

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 01:03:21 EST
From: JoanneQ <JoanneQ@aol.com>
Subject: Re:  Georgetown show

Can anyone confirm the post that the Georgetown show will soon be available on
video?  We were at the show (which was possibly our favorite of the 8 we've
been to) and have been hoping a video would be released.  Maybe Frank Maynard
has something official on this....Frank?  Thanks.

                                                                            Je
ff

"Where's Taj?"

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 02:03:55 EST
From: Shniggity <Shniggity@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #916

Hey all, I just want to share my support to those people who just don't care
how popular Ben Folds Five is getting...Lets just be happy that they are
finally getting some good things lined up for themselves.  I have nothing but
respect for that band, and I hope the feeling is mutual with all of us.  Lets
just stop talking about the whole "brick" issue and move on.  Yes, I too am
one of those fans who feel as if they have been cheated by the radio stations,
(I bought WAEA the day it came out and I find it disheartening to see it on
the new releases shelf almost a year later) but I am happy for those guys.  I
have turned many friends on to bff and I am proud to have initiated many more
into the bff clan. All in all, I think it better to simply enjoy the music,
the personality, and the wittiness of bff and shut the hell up about all the
bad things that are being thrown around about my boys.

- --Kris.    I have just one complaint:  COME TO MINNEAPOLIS!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 03:06:10 EST
From: FineExampl <FineExampl@aol.com>
Subject: New Tour Dates and basic whining

hi all!
is it just me? or do you think that Ben's playing with Dave Matthews cuz they
kinda look similar?  ya know....skinny white guy...brown hair....real short
haircut?
i dunno....whatever!
and i'll be damned if i'm gonna waste my money for a stadium show when i can
spend 15-20 measly bucks for a club show and probably be within 10ft of
watching them perform!!  thats a bunch of bull****!   i'm gad they are playing
bigger venues...its good for the wallet, BUT my idea of a small venue in my
area at least is like this.
Stone Pony or Maxwell's in NJ - small venue, intimate, cozy, happy.
Roseland or Hammerstein Ballroom in NY - big venue, yet still happy.
Giants frickin Stadium?! - ok...lemme look for my binoculars! anybody got a
tissue for my bloody nose? the altitude is killing me! UNHAPPY!!

and i dont like brickheads, but i like the ones who dig brick BUT want to hear
more before they judge the bands actual "goodness".   i hate the ol Top 40
listeners....cuz most of ya'll have no taste in music IMHO!  ya need to take
yer macarena asses out to see garth brooks and follow it up with a bon jovi
concert whilst hangin with yer homies chillin in the car to the wu tang
clam...oops i spelled it wrong! so sad!

later,
JOhn              NJ          zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzz zzzz

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 02:17:07 -0600
From: Dan Mauer <dmauer@earthlink.net>
Subject: The Orbit Room in Michigan

Hi, all...

I recently saw the guys play at The Riviera in chicago... a venue that
is just WAY too large and impersonal for the show to be as utterly
wonderful as it has the potential to be... I remember a show at the
Troubador in Los Angeles in early '96 with an audience of less than 200
people... and while the show itself has at worst remained constant, or
at times perhaps been even dramatically better than that show, the fact
that there are a thousand screaming 13-year-olds everywhere (OK, so
that's an exaggeration) definately lessens the overall experience for
me.

ANYWAYS, to the question itself.

How big is The Orbit Room in michigan?  Something in me says that there
will be less BFF fans in Grand Rapids than there are in Chicago, so I'm
wondering if that venue is nice-n-small the way I like them... if so,
it'll be worth the 4+ hour drive to go to the show there.  If it's a
biggie, though, I'll just wait 'til the boys are back in chi-town.

Thanks...

- -dan.

P.S.  Sellouts?  You must be kidding me... they were the best new rock
band in the world 3 years ago; they're the best new rock band around
today... and they've kept completely true to their musical selves.
What, you want them to go on public television and say "HAH!  FUCK ALL
YOU NEW FANS -- WE'RE REVOKING "BRICK" AND YOU'RE NEVER GOING TO HEAR IT
AGAIN!!! IN FACT, WE'RE GOING TO PULL ALL OUR CD'S OFF THE SHELF AND
ONLY PLAY UNANNOUNCED SHOWS AT A SMALL CLUB IN NORTH DAKOTA!!!
HAH!"???   Sheesh; some people are so posessive...

- --
  _.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._            _.,-*~'`^'`~*-,_  dmauer@earthlink.net
                  `~-,_     '`        _.,     `~-,_               _
    Daniel P. Mauer     `'~*-,._.,-*~'`             `'~*-,._.,-*~'`
         "Mental health is overrated." -- Barenaked Ladies
     Naked Harmony Homepage: http://home.earthlink.net/~dmauer/

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 12:30:39 +0000
From: "B.D.WATTS" <tl6304@qmw.ac.uk>
Subject: UNITED KINGDOM

For anyone in the UK who does not yet know, HMV say that Brick will
finally be released on APRIL 6th. Anyone know the B sides. Plus I
swiped a Brick poster off this wall on Commercial Road here in London
where it had been pasted illegally. Just doing my bit of policing. I
did leave one up to ensure publicity though.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 09:59:04 -0600
From: "Erik C. Lyons" <EPA8820@epa.state.il.us>
Subject: MA=a form of therapy

I rarely post to the MA anymore for MANY reasons, most of which have
been displayed over the past few months on this list (cursing, insults, all the
sell-out talk). But I have come to the front to give *my* testament to all this
discussion...

Most of the people I have met from this list are no longer on this list, opting
instead for a BF5 refuge where things are much calmer. While this other
place, list, is no garden of eden, it isn't constant craziness either. But, here's
where I come to bat for EVERYONE...

People have tossed around the sell-out discussion, myself included, in their
minds and in this list for a little bit now. But, after reading all the contributions
to this theory I have come up with my own.

I have heard the "I am a hardcore fan" rap and everyone seems to have a
reason to believe he/she has the knowledge or qualifications to label the
band. And while this *is* a discussion is, I guess people have the right to
say what they feel. What bugs me a tad is the way some of you express, or
rather, *push* your views on the list. I think your comments would be more
respected and received if you took the time to think out your position.

For me, it has taken a solid 2 months to work out what I want to say... so
here goes...

Yes, I am a bit incensed that the guys have become so popular. But, it is
only for selfish reasons and that is no way to go through life as a ben folds
five fan. I guess if I have to sit or stand 10 or 20 times as far from the stage
as I used to, so be it. They *do* deserve the recognition they are receiving.
While I have met the trio a few times, I cannot claim to *know* them and
from where I stand, those of you who also don't *know* Ben, Darren or
Robert have no business being matter of fact when you refer to them as
sell-outs.

To the MA...

I think since BF5 has become more popular, they are reaching out to many
new fans. Who are you to criticize these people? Yes, there is a FAQ, but
still, many people who are new want to jump into the mix and ask questions
so they can become active in discussions. To me, new people posting is
just a form of "music evolution" that occurs whenever a band gets their
music played into the mainstream of everyday life. People are curious and
want to find out more, just like *I* did many, many, many months ago. I think
a general feeling of acceptance would be a welcome sight here. No need
to post to the list when someone asks something *everybody* knows. Just
politely privately E-mail the person. A) you will get rid of some repetitive
posts, and B) the atmosphere will change, for the better.

To wrap it up...

I have come to the conclusion that the condition of the list, to some extent,
has rubbed off, in a bad way, on to me. It has made me draw conclusions
which were unfounded. I feel a bit bad for that. But it has also made me
aware of how an *environment* can cause the way you look at other
interests in your life. In this case, BF5. So it is my conclusion that if the list
makes an effort as a whole to pull together, this crap talk that seems to find
its way into the list daily will cease. I know it can happen for two reasons:

#1: The list used to be like that
#2: This list I referred to at the beginning is also clean for that reason.

- -E

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 20:35:55 +0100
From: "spruce" <spruce@lineone.net>
Subject: band name

ive always thought it as ben refering to the two other members and the
intruments.

oh dear sad post for first one- well things can get better!!

oh brick is gorgeous by the way,
but my cd player preferes smoke and stevens last night
(random dorlin')

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 15:34:32 -0500 (EST)
From: Kelly Mcghee <ocosmic@email.unc.edu>
Subject: smoke questions

Hi ya'll...
Guilliame, yes, that noise at the beginning of Smoke is what it sounds
like if you strum piano strings.  And, I always assumed the other
instrument was an accordian, but I really don't know...never gave it much
thought.  :)

- -Kelly

"I wish it was last September..."

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 16:13:32 EST
From: KARATLIFF <KARATLIFF@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #915

Hey everyone, I have a question and I hope someone can help me.  I also hope
this hasn't already been a topic, if so I'm sorry.  Anyway, I recently
received a brick single as a gift.  It said it was imported and it had three
other songs on it also.  Can someone tell me about it?  Thanks.

Kate

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 16:23:12 -0500
From: bf5 <bf5@SURRY.NET>
Subject: Keyserdanl...

hey,

        Keyserdanl, I mailed you to respond to your Majosha offer and it
sent it back to me.  So here's what I mailed you (sorry I'm taking up
armchair space for this but I have no other way to contact this person):

        I have absolutely nothing...I've already traded everything for other
        stuff.  Hopefully we can still work something out though.  I'm really
        hoping I can get the cd somehow.
        Thanks :)

\ \/ /
~\/\/hitney  =o)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 14:11:11 -0800
From: 777jet <777jet@bigfoot.com>
Subject: Where to get BFF CDs

From: SimbaFIRE
I haven't been able to get ahold of their first album [sigh], but I have
gotten Naked Baby Photos
Simba
- --------------------

Simba and everyone,

You can get all of the BFF CDs new or used at www.cdbargains.com, which
I've found to be the best deal when it comes to buying any audio CD on the
net.(no, I don't work there)

It's great, cheap, and easy to get CDs this way.

Long long BFF!
Thomas

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 14:13:01 -0800
From: 777jet <777jet@bigfoot.com>
Subject: Ben Folds Todd Rundgren Interview

I'm desperately looking for a copy of the Ben Folds Todd Rundgren Interview
from February 98. Can anyone help?

Thomas
777jet@bigfoot.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 17:12:00 -0500 (EST)
From: vanvalnc@is2.nyu.edu (Chris Van Valen)
Subject: A B C Duh

The Tower Records in NYC files BFF albums under F and downstairs in the
singles section under B. Go figure.

CV

If you have an unpleasant nature and dislike people
this is no obstacle to work. -- J.G. Bennett

Catch "Forever Knight" on the Sci-Fi Channel every
Tue-Thurs at 9PM and 1AM EST. -- Lucien LaCroix

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 17:52:56 -0500
From: santonan@student.umass.edu
Subject: Mixed Tape's a Masterpiece

Well, just the other day I found myself in this store called Dynamite
Records in Northhampton going through boxes of $5 cds. Pouring over them I
saw one that had "Mixed Tape's a Masterpiece" on the spine. At first I was
just like "Oh, that's interesting," but then something made me pick it up.
Sure enough, it was the sampler of songs from WAEA. $5 well spent I must
add. Oh yes, one other thing about that day..my friend picked up this
newspaper called Goldmine which is filled with all sorts of cds being sold
from places all over the country. I found so many singles I didn't have,
it was heaven!! Now I just have to convince the parents to get them for me
for my birthday..speaking of which, I noticed the 11th of June is still
free on the ole concert schedule..I'm still holding onto hope that they'll
play in Eastern NY or Western Mass that day ;) Oh yeah...I think Robert
would look fabulous wearing a dress and I bet they could make a damn good
polka record.

Sarah :)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 18:39:22 -0500
From: "idaho" <idaho@appstate.campus.mci.net>
Subject: Random Meeting With Ben

Well, I must have built up some decent karma.  A  buddy and I went to Chapel
Hill this weekend to join other recent alumni in what should have been the
National Championship festival.    Anyway, we're sitting on the sidewalk on
Franklin Street (the main drag in CH) in front of Ben and Jerry's when Ben
Folds starts crossing the street.  I was a little taken aback so I kinda
watched him pass by.  Nobody else recognized him or took notice whatsoever,
but the look on my face caused my friends to ask what was up.  I told them
who just walked by and they asked where he went.  Well, I got up, walked
around the corner to a little convience store called TJ's and looked in the
window and saw Ben buying something or other.  So when he came out I sorta
just walked up and said "Ben Folds, right?".  He says "Yeah, who are you?".
So I tell him my name and end up talking to him for about two or three
minutes.  I asked him why they were giving a free show at Duke which was
closed to all but Duke students and hadn't scheduled any dates in Chapel
Hill.  He said sorry that Duke had paid big bucks for them to come and that
they didn't know until later that the show was closed to all but Duke
students.  In any case, he said that they were trying to schedule something
in Chapel Hill but hadn't been able to work it out so far.

So finally my friends find me and Ben gets this look on his face like "I'd
rather not become a tourist attraction right now".  And so I said that we
had to go but it was nice meeting him and all.

This was the first time I'd actually talked to one of the guys away from a
show and he was really cool.  Much more sedate than he has been in the
couple of after show meetings I've been fortunate to have.  In any case,
thought I'd share and remind everyone to keep their eyes open b/c you never
know who's gonna walk down the street.  Nearly made up for losing in the
Final Four.

Bryan

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 18:51:05 EST
From: LUVmySPNDX <LUVmySPNDX@aol.com>
Subject: NEW ORLEANS

Hey,

     First time poster here !  I'm just sending this to say that i am so
psyched about getting tickets to the New Orleans BFF show at the House of
Blues.  Anyone else on the list going to that?

SEE YA,

SPANDy