Issue #920 - April 2, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest    Thursday, April 2 1998    Volume 01 : Number 920

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

    phone ringing
    Twin Falls
    Twin Falls...
    Re : my foible  - It IS BEN, DARREN and ROBERT (not Jesse) and Chapel Hill
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #918
    Philly show
    Re: Twin Falls
    twin falls lyric
    Re:  Lounge-a-palooza amswers
    Georgetown show video, and thoughts on selling out
    DMB/Beck/BFF in NJ
    amateur lovers/video/kate video
    this should cheer you up fer sure
    Sean Lennon Information PLEASE!!!!!  Do you know if there are details???
    Surrealism and Whiskeytown
    'Twin Falls' and 7-Up

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 19:51:19 EST
From: XCTRACNH <XCTRACNH@aol.com>
Subject: phone ringing

hey,

in steven's last night in town around 2:54 there's a phone ringing.  for
anyone who is looking for weird sounds.  and i would like to say even though
bff are gaining popularity, i don't hate them.  i still think they're the
greatest group and will stay.  for everyone who is calling them sell-outs,
shame on you.  i guess u'r just not a true fan.  well that's all.

~Justin

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 21:29:25 -0500
From: jaedonely@juno.com
Subject: Twin Falls

I gotch your lyrics ri' here....
"7 up I touched her palm and she knew it was me"
the poetry! The beat of the words!
Great great song
~Elisabeth
"I'm calling my gang...Anthony! Ca-caw! Ca-caw!"-Bottle Rocket

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 21:50:28 EST
From: WAVMaker2 <WAVMaker2@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #919

I AM GOING TO SEE BFF IN CONCERT AT GIANTS STADIUM WITH DMB AND BECK!!!!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 22:01:35 -0500
From: Mike Wilkinson <mwzoso@neo.lrun.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #918

>there is a lyric that is unhearable to me.  i cant tell what he is singing
>at 'seven up i touched her...something..and she knew it was me'

It goes, "7-up, I touched her THUMB..."

>everyones favorite chrissy (the silly old bananafish)

what's that supposed to mean?  Are you a Salinger fan or sumthin'?

oh well, tis all for now,
   ---"Wilson"

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 22:11:54 EST
From: Rocket no8 <Rocketno8@aol.com>

<< 1) Who is singing the second verse of She Don't Use Jelly? >>
Darren sings the first verse, Robert the second, and Ben the third.
- -al
p.s. no offense, but i wish people would stop writing all these long-winded
posts about selling out and other pressing concerns.  articulate opinions and
anecdotes are always appreciated, but we're getting too much hot air and most
everyone holds the exact same sentiment.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 09:25:07 -0600
From: Spanky <a0028897@airmail.net>

Okay,  it's been a while since I have posted,  or even read the
Armchair.  My mail has been messed up so please forgive me if this is a
repeat.  But as I opened up the add for KMart this past week,  I saw an
add for BFF.  Can you believe this.?!  BFF in a KMart ad.  Very
amusing.  :o)~

That's right....
Spanky

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 22:39:07 -0500 (EST)
From: Lee Chaix Katz <starfish@email.unc.edu>

Hey hey...
  To the person who asked about the Twin Falls lyric, I think it's "Seven
Up I touched her thumb and she knew it was me."  Did you ever play Seven
Up in elementary school?  I did all the time - I don't remember all the
rules, but I do remember sitting heads down on the desk with your thumb
up, and someone pressed your thumb down to make you "it."  I think you had
to guess who touched your thumb - I don't really remember.  Aaah, to be
eight years old again.
  My friend had a Ben Folds sighting at Lizard and Snake here in Chapel
Hill today.  I was very disappointed that I wasn't with her, but like a
good student I was actually in class.  Can you believe it - the one day I
decide not to go to a weekly lunch my friends have but rather go to class,
I miss meeting Ben Folds.  I think there is a lesson in that.  I think it
might be don't go to class.  I don't know, what do you think?

Five more weeks of school - hip hip hooray.  This weather is too nice to
be sitting in classrooms all day.

Lee

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 13:29:21 +1000
From: Work <dorianb@solace.com.au>
Subject: Re : my foible  - It IS BEN, DARREN and ROBERT (not Jesse) and Chapel Hill

Re all again,

    Well another fan happily pointed out that I misquoted Robert as Jesse
(which I did)....so this is a formal apology for my stupidity in trying to
do 5 things at once....Something had to give...! :)

Another thing:-

    Something has bothered me recently.....did no-one notice that the two
kids who shot up the schoolyard in the USA last week were from Chapel Hill,
NC....If ya did notice and didn't mention it you should feel ashamed....I'm
sure it'd wierd out the band seeing as its where they come from.  It just
seemed strange as I've noticed a lot of MA'rs mentioned Carolina and Chapel
Hill more specifically.  I personally feel we should hold some sort
remembrance for the kids who died.  Maybe an Armchair devoted it or
something like it.  Any takers?

Thats it....

Dorian

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 23:05:38 EST
From: Debra1495 <Debra1495@aol.com>

<< well i have a question, all.

 'twin falls' is one of my favorite songs off of naked baby photos.  BUT
 there is a lyric that is unhearable to me.  i cant tell what he is singing
 at 'seven up i touched her...something..and she knew it was me'

 is it fro? phone? foam? what the heck is it???

Hi Chrissy!  It's thumb, as in the grade school game "Thumbs Up, Seven Up".

See y'all in Vegas and Hollywood!  (Making the trip out from Phoenix again!!)

Deb

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 23:14:31 EST
From: Emaline19 <Emaline19@aol.com>
Subject: Philly show

I'll make this quick...OB1KINOB posted a question about the Y100 show...

>Does anyone have any information about the Y 100.3 Festival in Philly on May
>29?  Like, where and when can I get tickets?  Also, who else is gonna be
>playin on that crazy day?

I need the same info, please...I can't find it on the Y100 or at Ticket Master
sites.  Anyone with info, I will be forever indebted to you if you mail me
privately or just post it for all the rest of the poor souls who need it :)  I
can't go to the show in NY 'cus I'm gunna be in France (that reminds me...any
advice on singles to pick up while I'm there?)...I can't live without my
Ben...help me PLEASE.

thanks, dearies,
*jed*

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 23:23:14 EST
From: HiGeary <HiGeary@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Twin Falls

The lyric you are looking for is Thumb,

"7-up I touched her thumb and she knew it was me"

It's from a game we played in school as a little kid called 7-up where all the
kids sit at their desks with their heads down and thumbs up, except 7 kids who
are 'up' (get it? :) ) and push down the thumbs of 7 people and then everyone
who got picked has to guess who pushed down there thumb. The object was to
stay 'up' the longest, I think.

Anyway, for anyone who likes Twin Falls, definately check out the original.
It is by the band Built To Spill on their album called "There is Nothing Wrong
With Love"  The band is great and this is my favorite of their albums.

Hope that helped  : )

Rachael

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 21:22:02 PST
From: "Polly Prissypants" <excandescent@hotmail.com>
Subject: twin falls lyric

sombody asked about the lyrics to twin falls, and i believe it goes like
this:

"seven-up, i touched her thumb
and she knew it was me
although she couldn't see
unless of course she peeked"

i figure he's saying "touched her thumb" there because from the
wonderful experience of playing 7-up all the damn time in catholic
school, you have to put your head down and put your arm out and stick up
your thumb.  seven people go around the room and touch people's thumbs
and the people whose thumbs have been touched put their thumbs down, and
when everyone picks their heads up they have to guess who touched their
thumbs.  interesting, huh?  :>

bff is coming to spac june 6th.  woohoo...thing is, it's an opening gig,
so that kinda sucks, we won't see them get a full set.  but of course i
only live like half an hour from spac, whereas some people have to drive
like three hours, etc.  i guess i shouldn't complain then.  sorry.

polly prissypants

"My dad's good
He got me out of Albany, NY
Cuz it really sucks..." hehe, my personal opinion anyway :D

Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 00:35:27 EST
From: JoanneQ <JoanneQ@aol.com>
Subject: Re:  Lounge-a-palooza amswers

Rachael,
	On She Don't Use Jelly, Darren sings the first verse, Robert the second and
Ben the third.  We paid around $16 for the CD at Borders Books and
Music....hope you didn't get ripped off.

						Jeff

"Where's Taj?"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 00:42:04 -0500 (EST)
From: Frank Maynard <maynard@mail.oeonline.com>
Subject: Georgetown show video, and thoughts on selling out

To answer JoanneQ's question, the Georgetown show in December was indeed
videotaped with a multitrack audio recording. The recording of the show
will be used in the near future, though I cannot say whether it will be
broadcast or released as a video.

Also, you want my take on the great "sellout" debate? Much as we would
like to think that the band exists for the pure enjoyment of playing
music, and success has suddenly happened upon them despite that, it's not
that idyllic. Like it or not, our boys exist as a business, having fun
doing what they like to do, but it is a business nonetheless. They are
following a business plan, building popularity and unit sales as they go.
Touring, single and album release, and media appearances are all planned
according to a well-thought-out strategy.  You could conclude that they
"sold out" from the beginning, but don't be disillusioned - it's common to
nearly every popular group on or off the charts these days. (Look at
Hanson - need I say more?) It doesn't diminish our enjoyment of their
efforts; in fact, for beginning to be really successful, the band members
are still among the most accessible and fan-friendly of any band, and the
product (the music, that is) is a lot less formulaic and much more
creative than almost any I've heard, and I'm sure most Armchair readers
would agree. But keep in mind that they are striving toward commercial
success, which necessarily means that their music will be exposed to the
masses via MTV, radio, retail promotion, and billing with bigger acts such
as Beck and DMB. If anything, it helps to assure that they will be around
much longer than if they were just noodlin' away at the Cat's Cradle every
few weeks. So take it as you will - if you like, think of them as "my
little band that I discovered" and beam with pride when you hear "Brick"
being played for the gazillionth time over the background music system at
Denny's.

 -fjm
            Where do all the secrets live? They travel in the air

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 00:44:17 EST
From: FM3 Red5 <FM3Red5@aol.com>
Subject: DMB/Beck/BFF in NJ

Hey guys,

		well i have to agree with the person who said BFF should play more intimate
shows like Stone Pony in NJ...but i'm gonna pay the big bucks to see 3 of my
favorite bands play at one place...and if ya get in line early enough you get
good seats...my intentions...but anyway...does anyone know how long BFF are
gonna be playing at this show?...i'm hoping for at least an hour from
BFF...and an hour from beck...and 1 1/2-2hrs from DMB...hopefully BFF will
play some more small shows around NYC and NJ after this big venue tour...hell
they can play my backyard on the 4th of July!!!!!...now that would be
amazing...anyway...back from my dream...later

Frank

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 15:45:42 +1000
From: "Julie 'anti-gavin' Hurst" <strasswoman@mailcity.com>
Subject: amateur lovers/video/kate video

So I found the rubik's cube single, after months of searching, I love it.
Damn cool stuff!
What stores in australia can you get the video?? I cannot find drum media
anywhere!!
I saw the kate video. Damn funny, almost got booted out of the room, cos the
teacher thought it was a porno
And....yesterday I was dared to ring up the radio station and request sugar
ray, so I did and they said that I requested it!!!! I was so embarrassed!!
But shhhh it's just between us.
See ya round

- -Julie 'anti-gavin'

"He's just most happy when he's chewing on my underwear" darren (obviously a
bit drunk)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 21:49:14 PST
From: "Chandra Hicks" <chanfifteen@hotmail.com>
Subject: this should cheer you up fer sure

<<more before they judge the bands actual "goodness".   i hate the ol
Top 40 listeners....cuz most of ya'll have no taste in music IMHO!  ya
need to take yer macarena asses out to see garth brooks and follow it up
with a bon jovi concert whilst hangin with yer homies chillin in the car
to the wu tang clam...oops i spelled it wrong! so sad! later,
JOhn              NJ          zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzz zzzz>>
kick ass, i love the way you talk.
anyone know when fear of pop is coming out, and is this a solo project
by ben only or are darren and robert included, i'd hate to see this
stp/alice and chains/soundgarden/rem/ crap happen to our guys.
oh yeah, why don't they come to WAshington? we're supposed to be a music
town, they came to seattle once in the past year, but they're doing like
20 shows in NY, go fig.
anyway,  had to vent, chandra (melodica? is that what it's called?)

Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 02:05:02 EST
From: SnchzLdScp <SnchzLdScp@aol.com>
Subject: Sean Lennon Information PLEASE!!!!!  Do you know if there are details???

Hey!  Did I read correctly that Sean Lennon might be on the bill for the Beck,
Ben Folds 5, Dave Matthews Band  show???  PLEASE e-mail me if any of you know
anything about this...  because although I am from Chicago I AM going to be at
that show if Sean Lennon is there.. but first I need to know if it is true, so
please let me know!!!  thank you!

- -Mandy:)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 03:44:45 +0100
From: Jay Reddick <jreddick@nr.infi.net>
Subject: Surrealism and Whiskeytown

Hi all,
    I had a BFF moment this evening. Living in North Carolina, I have grown used to
hearing some of Ben and the boys on the radio. Still, it was strange to flip stations to
one of the local "best music mix" stations (107.5 KZL, for those in the area) and hear
the closing strains of "Song For The Dumped." Followed, of course, by the obligatory
blather from the DJ ("wow, he's bitter," or words to that effect). Wish I could have
heard the whole thing, to see how toned down it was...
    Anyway, I also wanted to ask about the band Whiskeytown. I know there's a connection
between the band and Ben Folds Five, and I'm going to see them next week, despite the
fact I haven't heard their music. What can anyone tell me about them? Who do they sound
like? Email me privately, please, if you know.
    Thanks for the vine. I'm out.

Jay

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Apr 98 8:39:23 EST
From: "Emily Durand" <edurand@nunet.neu.edu>
Subject: 'Twin Falls' and 7-Up

Oh, Chrissy, didn't your substitute teachers ever have you play 7-Up all
afternoon, to get all you second-graders to shut up for a while?  The lyric
is: "Seven-Up I touched her THUMB and she knew it was me" because the game
rules go like this: All the kids put their heads down on their desk, placing
their hands with thumbs up in front of them.  Seven kids are the "taggers"
who walk around and each one presses down one kid's thumb, and the point is
for the kids who get "pressed" to guess which of the taggers "pressed" them,
and if they're right they get to be a tagger.  WOW, this sounds LAME!!!
Well, when I was like 8 it was fun city.

BTW, I bought the Built to Spill CD, There's Nothing Wrong With Love (or
something, the one with "Twin Falls" on it), and it is terrific.

2-cent Em

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 09:05:15 EST
From: BSCHACK <BSCHACK@aol.com>

<< Can anyone confirm the post that the Georgetown show will soon be available
on
 video?  We were at the show (which was possibly our favorite of the 8 we've
 been to) and have been hoping a video would be released.  Maybe Frank Maynard
 has something official on this....Frank?  Thanks. >>

I wrote the original post AND I can confirm it.  (although I didn't say soon,
I just said its coming out - I don't know the timetable).  But, this is first-
hand knowledge, not through the grape-vine.  So believe me or don't.