Issue #922 - April 3, 1998

From owner-armchair@ford.il.fontys.nlFri May 22 15:20:31 1998
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 02:01:02 +0200
From: Magical Armchair Digest
Reply to: armchair@ford.il.fontys.nl
To: armchair@ford.il.fontys.nl
Subject: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #922

Magical Armchair Digest     Friday, April 3 1998     Volume 01 : Number 922

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

    Angry at One Angry Steve
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #916
    this is to Chrissy
    NBFF: Berkeley grad school
    chapel hill
    pittsburgh show
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #921
    Trades, Q101 Jamboree
    IN, IL concerts....HELP!!!
    BFF Videos - Uncle Walter, Battle of...
    BFF promo CD
    bff,beck,dmb at foxboro

Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 18:37:37 -0600
From: quinnt@scc.net
Subject: Angry at One Angry Steve

<>

The above post, from a so-called "One Angry Steve", is obviously a malicious (opposit of delicious), unfounded attack on the good, BFF-loving people of the Armchair. Just to erase any doubt about this, I word-searched through the past few weeks of Armchairs for the term "selling out".  Sure enough, hardly ANYthing came up.  Now of course, if someone else wants to search for "sell-out", "sellout", "sell out" or "sold out", I say, hey friend, follow your heart to the end of the rainbow.  But don't expect to find anything there except Disnyworld (closed for repairs).  Frank, we know your fair, please boot this "Steve" lunitic off the list before he brings it down any further!

El L.

P.S.  I think everyone on this list should give themselves around of applause.

P.P.S.  Here's all I found (okay, like granted, these posts tended to be way longer):

********
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 22:08:13 -0500
From: cambot@juno.com
Subject: Godzilla soundtrack song......

...don't mind me saying so. I don't believe writing a song for a
soundtrack is selling out...
********
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 1998 11:20:16 -0500
From: Whitney Smith
Subject: ben vs. reptar....oh that's REAL cute

Ok....well, while the song was creative "Dave-o", they aren't selling out...
********
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 18:07:02 EST
From: Corrin108
Subject: yet more ramblings about selling out

In a message dated 98-03-11 23:08:36 EST, someone wrote:

<< I think that
 selling out is making music for the money. That's my personal definition of
 it.  >>

Actually, selling out is not making music for money, but compromising your
beliefs for money or fame...
********
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 23:29:22 PST
From: "cynthia wang"
Subject: reaffirming my bff love

It's funny. I always thought "selling out" was not a matter of money or...
********
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 10:00:46 -0500 (EST)
From: marc s kaplan
Subject: Symantics...

I disagree with your definition of selling out...I think that when a band JUST makes
music for the money that could be a definition of selling out!
In my opnion, a better definition of selling out, is doing somthing which...
I do agree with you that BFF has not sold out.
********
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 00:06:47 EST
From: JediAnakin
Subject: Selling out?

Why is everyone thinking BF5 is selling out?...that's not selling
out...If they decided to stop doing
music because...that would be selling out. But, earning money and
having a job is not selling out...
********
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 15:49:14 +0800
From: "DesByrne"
Subject: Brenda and Eddie...

...Do you pass on the option because a couple of whining imbeciles...think that would mean you are 'selling out'.
********
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 10:16:55 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Ruffner
Subject: I'm gotta here
As far as BFF selling out they haven't.  Signing with a major label...
********
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 11:24:59 +0000 (GMT)
From: ER Burningham
Subject: sorry
hohoho. anyway, would everyone please stop with the seel-out thing - when
they play a song for a toothpaste advert, *then* they might be selling out....
********
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 13:49:57 -0500
From: Sean Kiely

okay, here comes another message about selling out, but I think...
********
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 16:58:51 -0500
From: obscuredsp@juno.com (lawson t bennett)
Subject: short comment on not selling out

If by some chance bff was to sell out, we really wouldn't be able...i doubt bands even sell out as much as people think...people bitch and call you a sellout...
dont get me wrong, i love drum and bass :c)
********
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 00:52:05 EST
From: DanDWarhol
Subject: Re: The Brick Editorial

...about this selling out crap...
********
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 11:30:14 PST
From: "valerie hochschild"
Subject: fame and todd and empathy

Anyway, this "selling out" whatever-it-is isn't the boys going down
on their knees to the...
*********
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 23:44:01 EST
From: Zoop Soul
Subject: Who Cares If They Sell Out???

I Just Wanted To Say Who Cares About BF5 Selling Out??? You Should Be Happy...
********
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 23:05:49 -0600
From: rcc35060@cmsu2.cmsu.edu (rebehka-christine-chrissy-meg-cramer)
Subject: question.

...as i understand it, some people are upset that they are 'selling out'.
well as i understood it, 'selling out' meant that you had to give something
...in order for ben folds five to have sold out,they would have 1 had to...
selling out would have required Getting Popular.
 i seriously doubt they will or have 'sold out'...
********
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 21:22:58 -0700
From: "Will Canzoneri"
Subject: dave-o

...But SELLING OUT?...Gimme a break!!!  Selling out is drastically
altering your style to please the general public...
********
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 11:23:31 EST
From: Pianogtar
Subject: Re: ahem

I honestly believe that it should not be about the fame or
the selling out but the music...

P.S I will be 21 this Saturday
********
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 12:26:31 EST
From: LeathrIdol
Subject: major/indie

<< On selling out: if Sony doesn't make money, the boys don't get to record =
 anymore albums - that would suck. >>

this is very true...the punks accused them of
selling out, didn't buy ther records, and i don't think...
********
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 15:45:32 EST
From: Roxygrrrl1
Subject: Selling Out/Godzilla/Brick Meanings

I just have a few things to say. I think that
selling out is making music for the money. That's my personal definition...
I think we should all stop worrying about...selling out and teenybopper fans and...
********
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 17:09:59 EST
From: Chemweasel
Subject: A quick word on selling out.

If doing a song for a soundtrack means that they are sellouts, that must mean
that they've already sold out...
********
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 19:04:26 -0800 (PST)
From: ralph kyatsu
Subject: Godzilla...sold out..stop

Please stop this whole whether they sold out or not thread...give it
up so what if they did sold out?...

and you wonder why Ben thinks some of the fans are freaks?
********
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 10:02:17 -0500
From: Joseph Lue
Subject: The Truth about Cats and Selling Out.

I would tend to think that The Truth About C/D, not Godzilla, would be more consistent with a "Sellout" film/soundtrack.
********
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 20:22:34 EST
From: FunShnBear
Subject: Basketball, Selling Out, and all this craziness
Final word on the whole selling out thing. I know this has been voiced
repeatedly *but* just because a band gets popular, doesn't mean that they sold
out...
********
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 11:17:13 +0000
From: Anne Kirkwood
Subject: lyrics
And would you stop talking about selling out?  They are not, I'd like
them to be more popular so...
********
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 11:15:57 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt
Subject: "mowin' down MCs" or "How I Won the War"
Anyhoo, has anyone gotten a tally on how many "final words" about this
whole "selling out" business yet?...
********
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 15:14:46 -0600
From: Nikki
Subject: general BF5 ramblings

Maybe I hallucinated it but I think I saw someone call Ben, Darren, and Robert "sell
outs."  When a band "sells out" in my opinion they change everything they are and...
About the only selling out they've been doing is selling out at every venue they've played at lately...
********
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 22:01:26 EST
From: JEKYL n U
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #915

  This whole subject of Ben Folds Five and selling-out has me upset...
So give BFF a break, they didn't sell out...
********
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 14:15:30 +1000
From: Work
Subject: I agree with Nikki digest 917

...I can only agree with Nikki...not one of the three ever "sold out"...They haven't changed...Their songs still make my emote - especially Selfless, Cold and Composed...To everyone here who says they've sold out : take a good long look at yourselves.  Maybe you've sold out.

To the band : ...Stay True...Your CDs will be with my collection always.
********
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 02:17:07 -0600
From: Dan Mauer
Subject: The Orbit Room in Michigan

...Sellouts?  You must be kidding me...they've kept completely true to their musical selves...Sheesh; some people are so posessive...
********
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 09:59:04 -0600
From: "Erik C. Lyons"
Subject: MA=a form of therapy

...I have come to the front to give *my* testament to all this discussion...People have tossed around the sell-out discussion, myself included...after reading all the contributions to this theory I have come up with my own...it has taken a solid 2 months to work out what I want to say...those of you who also don't *know* Ben, Darren or Robert have no business being matter of fact when you refer to them as sell-outs...
********
********

There, you see?  They have NOT sold out.  So take that, "Steve", you lying, crappazoidal meanie-oid! OUR BOYS ARE GONNA COME TO YOUR TOWN AND RUN YOU OVER LIKE A STEAMROLLER RUNNING OVER A MCDONALD'S SOFT DRINK CUP. DEAL WITH IT OR DROP DEAD YOU FREEK.  I love BFF sooooooo much.

                       ...the Aardbat Cafe closed down...

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 19:44:45 EST
From: Dimsdale0
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #916

To Guillaume...yes, that is Ben scratching the piano strings at the beginning
of Smoke.  I know cause I saw them at the HORDE festival, and was standing
front row center, watching his every move.  Amazing concert, by the way,
especially since Morphine took the stage after BFF did, and since I met all
the boys after the concert, got their autographs on their Whatever CD, and got
to talk to Ben about Loudon Wainwright III, whose record Ben had happened to
purchase just a week earlier.  Nice to know we have similar musical tastes and
influences.  Sorry, though, that I don't know the instrument that comes after
that in Smoke, although I think it's a harmonium (rather than a harmonica).
Write me back.  As always, it's a pleasure chatting with you all.
Dimsdale0

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 19:58:40 -0500
From: bf5
Subject: this is to Chrissy

They are saying, "Seven up I touched her arm and she knew it was me..."

\ \/ /
~\/\/hitney  =o)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 02:29:40 BST
From: "J.Goodall"
Subject: NBFF: Berkeley grad school

Hi, I've been on this list for long while and I just got accepted to
grad school at berkeley.
Being from england don't know much about it so can anyone help me
with a few things:

1. Where are good places to live for grad students in Berkeley ares
apartments etc.

2. What is the best student loan company as I need some money to get
there, lowest interest longest deferral period after I graduate.

Appreciate the help sorry for taking up too much space.
Jody

"...'cause rust never sleeps"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 20:41:15 -0500 (EST)
From: Ginger Nance
Subject: chapel hill

A girl shot herself in the school's bathroom in chapel hill, kids in
arkansas shot up the schoolyard.  just for clarification!

Ooooo  Ginger Nance
(   )  ginger_nance@unc.edu
 ) (   http://www.unc.edu/~gnance
 (o)   GO HEELS!!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 20:50:15 EST
From: Fretbored7
Subject: pittsburgh show

for anyone in the area, ben folds five is apparently going to be opening for
beck this summer here in pittsburgh out at starlake amp., according to the pgh
post gazette.  nothing is confirmed, but the news sure made me a happy girl :)

*jackie*

"I've learned the best feeling is truth and the highest high is peace of mind.
Music is love, luck, sun, moon, and stars. It's not tragic words that have
magic and power. I shall always pray." ~ G. Love

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 23:31:45 EST
From: Shniggity
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #921

I was just wondering, what bff album do you all like best???  for me it has to
be the self titiled one.....I am just insanly curious about it...Thats all.
Just another informal poll.....Have a good night all.

- -----Kris

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 00:11:05 EST
From: Phisher XC
Subject: Trades, Q101 Jamboree

Well as I do every so often I am sending out a post looking for trades, I've
got my tape list up to about 100 tapes (about 12 BFF), so if anyone wants to
trade, just e-mail me back.  Also I was wondering if anyone else was going to
go to the Q101 Jamboree in the Chicago area to see BFF, just wondering?

Ryan

"It isn't who it would be if it wasn't who it is" - Phish

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 00:24:21 EST
From: HiGeary
Subject: IN, IL concerts....HELP!!!

Hi all you helpful people out there!!

I have gotten an incredible response to my latest questions both privately and
on the list, so thanks all.

In case anyone is intersted, the average price spent on the Lounge-a-polooza
CD is roughly 16 to 18 dollars (excluding those who bought it immediately upon
its release).  So no, I was not ripped off.  Thanks for all those who
expressed concern. : )

NOW, on to more pressing matters.  I will be road tripping this summer and the
IL and IN dates coincide with my trip.  I would like to get tickets but
ticketmaster has no information whatsoever.  Anyone out there no how I can get
a hold of these tickets asap?

Oh, and I will be all alone  : (   and it will be my birthday (think Ben would
sing Happy Birthday to me? : P )  so if anyone is looking for company in IN
and IL, let me know.

Rachael

PS:  it's nice to know there are so many other old people on the list like me
who played 7-up in the second grade (way back when.....)  : )

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 22:04:19 -0800
From: 777jet <777jet@bigfoot.com>
Subject: BFF Videos - Uncle Walter, Battle of...

A fellow BFF fan needs your help! I need a good copy of these BFF Videos:

Uncle Walter
Battle of Who Could Care Less
One Angry Dwarf
Underground

You will be compensated.
Just send me an email at 777jet@bigfoot.com

Thanks,
Thomas

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 04:00:33 -0500
From: Steffen Donath
Subject: BFF promo CD

Hi everybody!

I have got hold of two BFF promo CDs "One angry dwarf & 200 solemn faces"
(Epic / 550 Music SAMPCS 4289).

The CD contains:

1. One angry dwarf... (Shitless version)
2. One angry dwarf... (album version)

I would be interested in trading these against other BFF promo CD-singles
or against the "Song for the dumped" CD single.

Cheers

Steffen

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 07:09:00 EST
From: luckyday6@juno.com (Jason A Masi)
Subject: bff,beck,dmb at foxboro

i am goin to see beck, dave matthews and BEN FOLDS FIVE in june and i am
going crazy about just thinking about it now. my seats aren't all as good
as i wanted and was wondering if anyone is goin to that show that has
better tickets maybe we can could trade and throw in a little money. long
line Ben Folds.

- -Fiver

"Your Uncle Walter is going on and on" - Ben Folds

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]