Issue #923 - April 3, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest     Friday, April 3 1998     Volume 01 : Number 923

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

    Re: shooting kids
    thanks for the twin falls lyrics.
    Glastonbury Festival
    Wanted: Video of the band
    center cityfest
    oh i forgot!
    New kind of poll
    Concerts/Popularity
    q101 Festival???
    Poker? I hardly know her!!

Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 10:44:23 -0500 (EST)
From: Kelly Mcghee <ocosmic@email.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: shooting kids

Ouch...I had not/have not heard (other than here) that those 2 kids were
from chapel hill.  As far as I knew, they were from Arkansas.  Jonesboro
or
Jonesville or somewhere.  However, there was a girl at a middle school
here on Monday that went into the school bathroom and shot herself.
Tragic...just don't get that.

Later,
Kelly

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 10:00:05 -0600
From: rcc35060@cmsu2.cmsu.edu (rebehka-christine-chirssy-meg-cramer)
Subject: thanks for the twin falls lyrics.

well it is good  to know  that i am not the only one who really likes 'twin
falls'.  thanks a lot everybody for the clarification.

well see everyone was telling me  how THEY played seven up and i think the
reason i was confused on hte lyric was because we didnt play it like that.

what we did was you would have you rhead all hte way  down and you would
completely cover your head with your arms and then the person would touch
your head or your arms. (so i thought the lyric might have been palm)  and
then they would give clues as to who touched  you by whatever we were doing
that week.  'so and so was touched by #2..who has a dog named sammy' or you
got touced by #4..who is the one who is saying the word  'dog' in spanish'
and all of them would  say a word  and you had to know what dog was in
sapnish.

so maybe my school was a freaking weird place huh.

oh and yes i am a salinger fan....to whoever asked. :-)

thanks again everyone!!!

ive got nothing to say, but its okay.

this is my story both humble and true, take it to pieces and mend it with glue.

everyones favorite chrissy (the silly old bananafish)

"i'm not going to change the way i look or the way i feel to conform to
anything. i've always been a freak. so i've been a freak all my life and i
have to live with that, you know. i'm one of those people."
- -john lennon

"the clouds will be a daisy chain, so let me see you smile again"
- - the beatles, "dear prudence"

Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 09:16:11 PST
From: "Luke Meyers" <l_meyers@hotmail.com>
Subject: Glastonbury Festival

Hey.

our boys have been confirmed to play at the Glastonbury Festival here in
the UK.  Some other really good bands that'll be there will be Ash,
Sonic Youth, and it'll be the only uk date that Blur might be playing
for the rest of the year... i've already booked my tickets. Is anyone
else on this list planning to go? and does this mean that BF5 will be
playing at other europeen festivals?
Speaking of weird noises, i don't know if anyone else noticed, but
there's this little noise at the very end of "best imitation of myself"
that sounds like a groan or fart or something, it's really short though-
i could see Ben ripping ass into the mic for some lowbrow kicks. or
maybe not.

Luke.

***for Jisoo: write me back b/c i lost your e-mail address***

"In weightlifting, I don't think sudden, uncontrolled urination should
automatically disqualify you."
                                         -deep thoughts by Jack Handy

Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 12:50:50 -0500 (EST)
From: Frank Maynard <maynard@mail.oeonline.com>
Subject: Wanted: Video of the band

Ben Folds Five is trying to put together a collection of video clips and
appearances that have aired on local TV broadcast and cable shows, as well
as footage shot by concertgoers with handheld video cameras. (They are not
interested in network TV appearances, just local shows that they might not
have seen.)

The purpose is to build a video library of their appearances and for use
in any possible video compilations that might be developed in the future.
The band would pay for duplication and return of any tapes submitted.

If you have something original or an air-check of a local TV appearance
that you would be willing to let the band duplicate, please contact me
privately via e-mail (maynard@oeonline.com) and I will forward your
information to the band's management.

 -fjm
       She plays Wipeout on the drums. The squirrels and the birds come

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 14:18:52 -0500 (EST)
From: Ginger Nance <gnance@email.unc.edu>
Subject: center cityfest

I was looking at the Center Cityfest web page today, and I'm so excited
about the 4/26 show now!  Here's a little bit of the schedule:
Agents of Good Roots Stage #2 2:30-4pm
Ben Folds Five Stage #1 4:30-6pm :) :)
Big Head Todd & the Monsters Stage #2 6:30-8pm
Freddy Jones Band Stage #1 6:30-8pm
Jump Little Children Stage #1 3-4pm

All I can say is, if you're going, look for me in front of Stage One, I'll
have my Kate nametag on!

Ginger :)

Ooooo  Ginger Nance
(   )  ginger_nance@unc.edu
 ) (   http://www.unc.edu/~gnance
 (o)   GO HEELS!!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 13:13:20 -0600
From: rcc35060@cmsu2.cmsu.edu (rebehka-christine-chirssy-meg-cramer)
Subject: oh i forgot!

well someone asked if the kids nowadays still play with the big parachutes
like that.  well i was a cadet teacher my senior year in high school
(basically an internship and an assistant to a teacher) and i worked with
title one kindergarten  kids. and yes, they  had a day where they didnt
come to our time because it was parachute day in pe.  man...that was a long
time ago. three years? man.

so yeah they do. just not a lot.

Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 14:25:02 -0600 (CST)
From: Brian Thomas <bsthoma@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu>
Subject: New kind of poll

Hello all,
	I am really exicited, I have made my first true bff convert.  She
likes "Brick", of course, but when I played SFTD for her she loved it.
The rest of the CD as well.
	Now for the real reason that I am posting.  I have heard about the
contest for the best song by the guys.  I have a new kind of contest in
mind.  I have two specific criteria in mind:
	1) The best song lyrically.  Which song do you all think has the
best lyrics for any reason.
	2) The best song musically.  What song pulls the greatest response
from you for it music, blend of the instruments.
	This is not another favorite song contest.  I was just wondering
what people think.  I will let you know my two winners.  Lyrically it has
to be SFTD, the first bff song I heard after being dumped.  Musically it
is Steven's Last Night in Town.  It always gets the foot tapping.  The
only guidelines I would use for this would be that the song must have been
written by one of the guys.  You can e-mail me privately and I will
compile the votes for about two weeks.  I will post again with the results
of this poll, assuming I get some kind of response.  Thanks for the time,
and hope to hear from people.

Brian S. Thomas

- --Go ahead you can laugh all you want, I got my PHILOSOPHY--

------------------------------

Date: Thu,  2 Apr 98 16:55:49 EST
From: mscott <mscott@stny.lrun.com>
Subject: Concerts/Popularity

Hey all!  I've been on this list for a while, but this is the first time I've posted
anything...I live 4 hours from Saratoga Springs and Philly, these are the closest BF5
concerts.  Is 4 hours an unusual distance to go?  I've never been to a concert, so I
don't know, and i just read about how Amanda drove 6 hours to see BF5 *gasp* .
BTW- I never heard of BF5 until I heard Brick on the (lousy) Top40 stations in my
area, and I was instantly in love!  Don't complain abt the band's popularity; it's
winning them new converts!!
that's all,
michele
- -------------------------------------
Name: mscott
E-mail: mscott <mscott@stny.lrun.com>
Date: 4/2/98
Time: 4:55:49 PM

This message was sent by Chameleon
- -------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 17:14:03 EST
From: Sarah85520 <Sarah85520@aol.com>
Subject: q101 Festival???

The only time that bff is coming back to IL is at the World.... A BIG outdoor
music theatre. I saw DMB there last summer, and I thought it would be a little
too big for just the three of them.... Low and behold, a few weeks later, when
Frank posted the rest of the tour dates, it said it was for the Q101 Music
Festival.... I was just wondering if anyone knew who else would be there with
em. I'd love to go, but if they're going to be there with so-called other
alternative bands, I can't go....
Thanx mucho,
Sarah

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 20:12:35
From: justinryan@usa.net
Subject: Poker? I hardly know her!!

Sorry for the bad joke.

It's so refreshing to hear about members of the fairer sex engaging in the fine tradition of "poker night".

Anyway, I just got through with a bi-weekly round of poker with the regular crowd and we came to a unanimous conclusion:

Ben Folds Five (poker) - Five card draw, three's are wild!

Enjoy,
Justin

Get free e-mail and a permanent address at http://www.netaddress.com