Issue #924 - April 4, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest    Saturday, April 4 1998    Volume 01 : Number 924

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

    Cultural Differences, and a video
    7-up, touchin my thumb baby, i know whats up :)
    Cickets in Smoke?
    Cickets in Cigarette?
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #923
    WHY, ANGRY AT ONE ANGRY STEVE?!?! WHY?
    fave album
    BF5 In Dallas
    dumped?
    DOMO...
    On selling out, and moderating the list
    q101 Jamboree
    Dates
    Re: Angry at One Angry Steve
    29th June
    lounge-a-palooza
    brian's poll
    big dave matthews shows
    what a lot of twin falls replies.
    tickets please please please
    Re:  Magical Armchair Digest V1 #921
    They're breaking me
    favorite song poll

Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 10:52:09 +1000
From: "two funky dudes" <frenzal@emunet.com.au>
Subject: Cultural Differences, and a video

Just a brief note, the game you guys call Seven Up
or whatever, is known as Heads Down - Thumbs Up
in Australia, I too thought it was fantastic when I was
8, I think I may re-introduce it as a party game.

Matt

PS I got the Ben Folds Five video the other day, it's pretty
cool, just a short video in Bens House, with a concert from
Londen thrown in here and there. They just talk about shit,
there music and stuff. We get to see their cars, and the
famous yellowtruck named "butthole" It's pretty cool....
email me if you wanna do a trade.....

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 17:55:43 PST
From: "Dustin O." <doneil41@hotmail.com>
Subject: 7-up, touchin my thumb baby, i know whats up :)

Hey everyone,
  There are some messed up people on this list.  Talkin about playin
7-up in second grade, you mean to tell me you never played it after
that?  Who you trying to fool?  Hell I'm a senior in high school, and I
still play it FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!!!!!!
Enough rambling, I have nothing to say, so I'll finish with the
obligatory
BFF ROCKS!!!! yeah FREE BIRD!!! sorry, that was way too far
Later,
Dustin

Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 21:01:07 EST
From: Gg101 <Gg101@aol.com>
Subject: Cickets in Smoke?

Here is another thing on strange sounds during BFF songs.  Throughout SMOKE
you can hear CRICKETS chirping or making whatever noise they make in the
background, you need to listen carefully.  This means they probably recorded
the song sometime in the evening at Ben's place.  I was just wondering if
anyone else noticed this.

	Gil

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 21:04:11 EST
From: Gg101 <Gg101@aol.com>
Subject: Cickets in Cigarette?

Let me revise my previous statement. Although you can hear crickets at the end
of Smoke you can hear them all throughout Cigarette.

	Gil

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 20:16:14 +0000
From: JoeyK <z_kreidelrj@TITAN.SFASU.EDU>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #923

Alright, I'm new to the list, although a long time BFF fan, and don't know
who started the sell-out thread or why. But come on, it's ridiculous. Any
time any band has any sort of success, there are people who refuse to like
them anymore, or not to listen to them, because they have labeled them as
sell outs. It's just a quick and easy label so they can reject them without
reason. Sure, they switched to a bigger record company. Maybe it was for
money, but what the hell. Did they change their music? No. Did they begin
to tailor their songs explicitly for radio or MTV? No. They are making the
same great music they always have, one of their songs just happen to catch
on. And can you blame the public for loving it? They make the best damn
music in the world, it's about time people listened in. If their next album
is nothing but a bunch of songs like "Brick", then maybe you have some
justification for calling them sell outs, but not now. Just kick back and
enjoy the music.

For the pollster guy:
Best song lyrically - The Last Polka
Best song musically - Theme From Dr. Pyser

And the dude in Europe:
BFF and Blur are playing at the same place on the same day??? You have been
greatly blessed!

That's all, sorry it's a bit long. Cheers!
joeyk

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 22:18:29 -0500
From: cambot@juno.com
Subject: WHY, ANGRY AT ONE ANGRY STEVE?!?! WHY?

Is anyone else here pissed about that post that I made a while ago about
how i didn't want to read about selling out becuase we all know that they
didn't? I din't mean to make it mean spirited & I have re-read it many
times & I still can't find a thing that would offend anyone in any
way...And to the person who is mad at me who's name escapes me at the
moment, explain yourself. You make it sound like I hate the band & want
the Armchair to burn or something. Think some happy thoughts....

Fond but not in love
Steve!

PS, I sure hope that you folks who don't know me think that I'm a
dickhead. Oh well, nothing I can change......

PPS, to the person that's mad at me, I have no idea how someone could
mis-understand a post so severly. Everything you accused me of has
nothing to do with anything I wrote? Is this an outside of the Armchair
thing? Do you have a grudge against me even though I have never even met
you?

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 01:11:16 -0330
From: "Andrew Fifield" <andrew.the.great@thezone.net>
Subject: fave album

	I would have to say that my favorite bff album is "Whatever" because it is
the most musically diverse of the 3, but self title has Philosophy and Best
Imitation, I'm torn. Anyway, slue!

	" If anyone is curious, my name is Ben, Ben Folds"
					Ben Folds

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 00:03:42 EST
From: Caderousse <Caderousse@aol.com>
Subject: BF5 In Dallas

 I live in Houston, and saw BF5 at Numbers in February, and when I saw that
the boys wouldn't be coming back to Houston for this tour, my buds and I
decided that Dallas was our next best bet (the Austin show is on a <gasp>
school night). The main problem is the question of how do I get tickets.
 So you Dallas people listen up:
   1) Can a Ticketmaster in Houston get tix for a Dallas show?
   2) When do the tix for the show go on sale?

Thanks,
007

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 23:51:46 -0500
From: schander@juno.com (joe s schanderson)
Subject: dumped?

This just reminded me of something I asked awhile back...

SOMEONE WROTE:

>>1) The best song lyrically.  Which song do you all think has the
>>best lyrics for any reason.

>> Lyrically it has to be SFTD, the first bff song I heard after being
dumped.

Although I can see why someone would find it useful for venting, do we
fans in general actually think this is a good song? I think it is one of
their worst songs AND I USE THE TERM "song" LIGHTLY. I don't mean it's
not fun sometimes...but it certainly isn't a good "song" in my opinion.

flames?  : )
michigan joe

Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 15:52:13 -0800 (PST)
From: ralph kyatsu <inane_insane@yahoo.com>
Subject: DOMO...

Ok everyone that has DOMO BEN CHAN DESU pull out your copies right now
and put in disc 2 and check out track 2 and 12...Is it me or is that
Darren singing Mitchell Lane(My friends says no, she thinks it's
ben)....And if it really is Darren, does he alway sing the song?

thanx

Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 00:24:20 -0500 (EST)
From: Frank Maynard <maynard@mail.oeonline.com>
Subject: On selling out, and moderating the list

So quinnt@scc.net wants me to kick Angry Steve off the list because he
pointed out that we've had a pretty lively discussion thread to keep the
list interesting between the maturing of the hit single and the
commencement of the summer tour...

While I almost yelled at Steve for trying to moderate the list (noting he
did a little yelling himself), he makes some pretty good points. Granted,
the sellout thread has pretty much run its course, and I for one would be
glad to see it end. I wish to point out that at least the sellout subject
is on topic, while a post basically asking that another listmember be
evicted (along with multiple quotes from previous digests that most of us
have already seen) is not.  (At least the quotes were edited for brevity.)

Please take this as a reminder that it is up to me to do the moderating
(which almost always takes place behind the scenes, this message being a
rare exception) and it is up to the other 1499 of you to provide the lively
and intelligent conversation about one of our favorite bands. If you want
to say something to or about another listmember, please address it
privately to him or her. If you want to complain about how you feel
another listmember is behaving here, address it to me.

 -fjm
           Here's an evening dark with shame. Throw it on the fire

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 00:39:38 EST
From: Phisher XC <PhisherXC@aol.com>
Subject: q101 Jamboree

Well to answer any out-of-stater questions about the Jamboree...there will be
about 12 other bands playing (at least) I'd say some of the more popular
alternative/top 40 bands at this time.  There will be the main stage and
probably a small stage off to the right and down a bit.  It will sell out
quick so if you plan on going you should get tickets soon.  For more info,
check www.q101.com.

Ryan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 01:40:55 EST
From: Snowwite67 <Snowwite67@aol.com>
Subject: Dates

<< our boys have been confirmed to play at the Glastonbury Festival here in
 the UK.   >>
When is that??
- -Lauren

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 07:29:11 -0500 (EST)
From: connolly <mconnoll@emerald.tufts.edu>
Subject: Re: Angry at One Angry Steve

to the response that "El L." posed to "angry's steve's" post:

i think, in that absurdly long post you made, you proved angry steve's
point exactly. he didn't say the band was selling out, he said he was sick
of everyone responding that they WEREN'T selling out. so you posting
umpteen messages from people saying that exact same thing, that they're
not selling out, doesn't really prove anything except that steve was
right.

also, if you DID search for other usages of "selling out", for example
"sell out", i'm sure you would've found a lot more postings defending the
band from selling out. of course, i wouldn't expect anyone with a life to
actually do a search on the armchairs for different words, that would be
pretty stupid.

i guess the only, as you write, "lunitic" here is you. and saying that
steve should be taken off the list because he made a good point seems
pretty pointless.

- -mike

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 13:38:24 +0000
From: "B.D.WATTS" <tl6304@qmw.ac.uk>
Subject: 29th June

Is the NME page right in saying that the five will be playing
the

Forum on June 29th????????????????

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 21:26:33 -0500
From: "Levantovich, Matth x96536c4" <x96536@exmail.usma.army.mil>
Subject: lounge-a-palooza

I must be a little behind everyone else out there, because I have never
seen Loung-a-palooza.   Can someone please tell me where I can get a
copy of it? I don't care if I get ripped off, I just want more BFF.  Any
suggestions?  Thanks to all.

- -Matt

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 12:53:57 -0600
From: "sjoson" <sjoson@reginadominican.pvt.k12.il.us>
Subject: brian's poll

i think that smoke and selfless, cold and composed have the best lyrics,
and that one angry dwarf is musically the best song.  and, just so you
know, my favorite songs are where's summer b?, selfless, and for those of
ya'll who wear fannie packs.

everyone buy the new AP with richard ashcroft on the cover - there's a full
ad for "robert sledge of ben folds five and his epiphone".  i was really
pissed because i went yesterday and bought the AP for the verve cover,
along with the new issue of bass player because someone posted the fact
that the ad was in that issue.  then i open the AP up, and there it is.  oh
well - i guess you can never get enough bff.  but in the same issue, they
have a kind of mean review for naked baby photos.

								see you guys at jamboree
								stephanie

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Apr 98 13:43:35 EST
From: "Emily Durand" <edurand@nunet.neu.edu>
Subject: big dave matthews shows

I too am paying out the wazoo to catch the trifecta show (DMB, Beck and The
Boyeeez) at Foxboro "stadium" here in MA, and like a lot of other posters am
troubled and elated simultaneously.  As to the guy looking for an hour-long
set from BF5, don't hold yer breath, man.  I assume it will run like other
megashows, 45 mins apiece for BF and Beck, with interminable set changes
between, then like 2 hours for DMB.  I am hoping that no one will come until
DMB goes on, so I will have a semi-unobstructed view.  I am also PRAYING that
the legions of Brick-girls couldn't get tickets and will leave their talkin-
through-every-other-song-selves at home.  I remember going to see U2's Zoo TV
Tour in NYC, and The Pixies opened, and I was freaking out b/c there was
NOBODY there during their set so I got to go down in front, rock out with the
other 3 fans, and meet Kim Deal, and then when I went back to my seat this
guy was like, "Who the hell was that band?"  I can always
dream...Essentially, these shows should be equally exciting and totally
disillusioning, seeing as how a stadium tour is unabashedly about the
Almighty Dollar, and for all the exposure BF will get there will be lots of
clueless loonies.  ARRRGGGGHHHH.  YAAAAAYYY.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 20:00:54 +0100 (BST)
From: Richard Cheng <richard.cheng@st-edmund-hall.oxford.ac.uk>
Subject: what a lot of twin falls replies.

> BTW, has anyone ever heard a "Seven-up" reference anywhere else?
> How 'bout a "beneath the parachute" reference? Are kids still doing this stuff in school? I should proly have a few of my own to tell me, but you know how that goes...
>
> ~Justin (I'm such a geezer)

    i never went to second grade but we did the parachute thang in first
grade when i went. (in chapel hill, of all places.)

   that was about twelve years ago now. wow i'm getting old.

  rich

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 15:50:41 EST
From: Couscousz <Couscousz@aol.com>
Subject: tickets please please please

hey all.  i was wondering if anyone has extra tickets for the dave mathews
band/ beck/ ben folds five concert on june 5th in massachusetts or that
bacharach tribute thing.  i tried to get tickets but,sadly, to no avail. the
harder i tried the more hopeless it was. i bet the same thing'll happen
tomorrow when i try to get tickets for the concert at giants stadium so expect
another post from me begging for more tickets.
                 thanks
                        --michelle

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 16:35:04 EST
From: Deldavis13 <Deldavis13@aol.com>
Subject: Re:  Magical Armchair Digest V1 #921

remove me

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 16:38:26 EST
From: Chemweasel <Chemweasel@aol.com>
Subject: They're breaking me

I'm going to get my tickets for the Cincinnati show tommorow, and with the
money I have left over I hope to get a box of Chicklets. I rember the first
time I saw them at a little club down the road from where they will be playing
in May. I remember my friends who I drug along with me, complaining about the
$6.00 cover to see a band they had never heard of. Well tommorow I'll be
forking out a cool twenty to see my favorite band. Having seen them now about
ten times I know the stage show hasn't gotten anymore elaborate than that
first time. What's the deal? Maybe it's all the extra towels and duct tape
they need now. They may not have sold out, but they're sure as hell taking
advantage of their newfound rockstar status. Unfortunately, I'm not a
Brickhead, and can't hit up ma and pop for ticket money and maybe even a
little extra for a Coke and that way cool t-shirt I saw on the net.

Just thought I'd do a little bitching at your guys expense.

Brandon

                             "When money talks, I hate to listen..."

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  3 Apr 1998 17:22:40, -0500
From: PFJH05D@prodigy.com (MISS JESSICA R BORASH)
Subject: favorite song poll

okay.  my favorite lyrical song would have to be... well, my two
favorites are evaporated and philosophy.  they are so awesome.  the
line about forest from the trees in philosophy gets me every time.
my favorite song musically is... well, my two favorites are kate and
boxing...well, and philosophy too.  basically, philosophy is my
absolute favorite.  but, i love the chords in kate.  they fit the
song so perfectly.  plus, i like the bridge part, or the instrumental
solo or whatever where the "oh la la la"'s are.  it's sounds like the
perfect love song.  boxing just makes me want to cry.  it's so lounge-
like and sorrowful, and i simply adore it!  the intro to philosophy...
 i cannot even describe the words.  if i think of any other reasons i
love any other songs, i'll tell ya.  see ya.
jeskuh =>

all that shimmers in this world is sure to fade away again
- -fuel